• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Code Geass 4-5

Also...

Pizza Hut?!!?!?
A0B8833E1F360988BDBCC62F7B0BFFD31BED74F9

Best S E L L O U T in over a decade.

Quasar

Really wish I could've seen Your Name. So much hype around it has gotten me really excited, but just no opportunities.

I loved it. Probably not actually my favourite Shinkai film though. Maybe I need to see it again.

It is my favourite film from the year, though if I'm honest only saw a handful of films and they were all LCD Hollywood stuff so I don't exactly have a deep pool to compare it against.

The MAL rating is of course silly, but then that's par for the course with these internet rated things. They seem to be uncritically rated by people whilst still on the emotional high of the media, which makes places like mal seem like it runs on the gaming 7-10 scale.

I'd give it an 8. Which for me is high given on MAL I've given no 10's and only a handful of 9's. I am a big fan of Shinkais though, he's my favourite anime filmmaker.

It is a fairly different film for Shinkai, makes me wonder what the future holds in terms of where he goes in the future.

Qurupeke

According to MAL, Yuri on Ice is better than Rakugo and Girlish Number is worse than Sword Art Online I&II. Actually, I'm not even sure why Girlish Number (and Izetta) are so low for MAL's standards...

Looking at MAL ratings was your first mistake :p

I would say Girlish Number was high up in this season's offerings. Not that there was much competition anyway, but I think it stacks up well with what aired this year. I'm considering adding it to my AOTY list

Branduil

Is there really that much?
Kizu I
Kizu II
Koe no Katachi
Doukyuusei?

This year also has In This Corner of the World, the Garo movie, and Pop in Q. There's no shortage of anime films which could at least be arguably better.
And Koe no Katachi obviously is.

All this MAL ratings shaming lol, I think MAL is actually not too bad at giving scores and giving some kind of first impression.

looking at the different season the top 3 for each are

winter
Assassination classrom s2
Erased
Rakugo
spring
Jojo
Re:ZERO
MHA
summer
Mob Psycho 100
Saiki
Food Wars s2
Fall
Haikyu
Natsume
Yuri on Ice

Each season as a pretty good *top*

I mean if animegaf started giving scores to anime, how different would it be?

John Blade

Well...if you want to have an idea of what Japanese think of American People stereotype, look no further than in this episode. Every American people from young child to old people carry a gun? Check. American police officer really want to kill the robber really badly like their life depend on it (aka: shoot first ask question later)? Check. I don't think I need to go into more American stereotype they're using in this episode as they're few more sprinkle in here.

AlI I can say is the two main female characters in this show have this cop buddy feel which going to be fun to watch as both of them have quite a opposite personality. For one, Lu Amano is the intelligence cop who want to get the job done without making a fuss and like to stay in low profile while her partner (or rival depend on how you see it), Yao Sakurakouji isn't the smartest bunch of the cop and want the publicity to make her famous even though she suppose to be a cop? (as her dad own the bank which might mean she is wealthy which beg the question of why join to become a female cop when she can do other thing which won't risk people life).

Fun episode to watch to see wacky thing happen and might have a feeling will continue liking this simple show quite a bit.

All this MAL ratings shaming lol, I think MAL is actually not too bad at giving scores and giving some kind of first impression.

looking at the different season the top 3 for each are

winter
Assassination classrom s2
Erased
Rakugo
spring
Jojo
Re:ZERO
MHA
summer
Mob Psycho 100
Saiki
Food Wars s2
Fall
Haikyu
Natsume
Yuri on Ice

I mean if animegaf started giving scores to anime, how different would it be?

I am pretty casual, you could even say I am a part of the MAL crowd, and even I can't agree with that list. Maybe they got 1 of the top 3 right each season, but you know what they say, a broken clock is right twice a day.

I hate Google Chrome on Android so fucking much.

I just wrote a fucking lengthy review on the new DreamWorks show on Netflix (Trollhunters) and how much I liked it. Then the fucking thing refreshed because I moved by thumb down and it deleted everything I had typed down.

And I'm not about to type that again on this thing.

To summarize, Guillermo del toro produced/created a TV show with DreamWorks, it's a standard Anime/superhero story of a regular high school kid gets super powers and new responsibilities with said powers to protect both trolls and humans. It has many action/battle scenes, characters that end up having depth, decent mythos, and has actual kids killing their enemies.

Should you watch it? Yeah. It won't turn heads but it's a solid 7 to 8/10 show. Lord knows it's better than 90% of shit released with Anime. I give it an 8/10. It also isn't your standard throwaway tie in as DreamWorks tends to give Netflix, it's a solid show they brought their TV A-game. Looking forward to a second season since there's clearly more to tell.

Quasar

Well I tend to find it ok for finding things of similar types and the order of things. I just just think things like the all time top 10 full of gintama make tne whole thing silly. Ditto how clearly different most people approach scoring than I do. But that's true of all public media scoring things..from IMDb to Netflix to anything else. And I don't see there being any solution to that. Probably aside from I guess doing away with numbers and just having a like/dislike system and that's it.

I am pretty casual, you could even say I am a part of the MAL crowd, and even I can't agree with that list. Maybe they got 1 of the top 3 right each season, but you know what they say, a broken clock is right twice a day.

I mean you can say you did not like them, but these top shows must have done something right to be there no? And really what is a right choice for the best anime of a season? You seem to like to say that some anime aren't deserving that place, but on what criteria?
See to me I look at that list and seems like a list of things that most anime fans would like overall. Seems to be mostly shows that were well talked about here. Doesn't like up with my personal tastes, but I can recognise that many of the shows there are well made just not for me. Which is fine.
That's also a good comment, take the words right out of my mouth.

Cornbread78

I hate Google Chrome on Android so fucking much.
. Then the fucking thing refreshed because I moved by thumb down and it deleted everything I had typed down.

And I'm not about to type that again on this thing.

I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many posts have been completely lost because of that shit..

Quasar

See to me I look at that list and seems like a list of things that most anime fans would like overall. Seems to be mostly shows that were well talked about here. Doesn't like up with my personal tastes, but I can recognise that many of the shows there are well made just not for me. Which is fine.

I mean my personal top 10 for 2016 will only feature Rakugo and probably Natsume from that list.

phaze

Amagami 5-8

Miya knows what's up.

Brace for Ramen.

Jojo DIU 20

Most disgusting love story ever told.

When I said I wanted a glimpse of Kira I didn't mean a literal glimpse goddamit. At least I got to see 2 / 3 of other the characters I was a bit intrigued about.

Gintama:Shogun Assassination Arc Conclusion

Shogun was a true Samurai till the end.

Fuck this arc was so damn good. We even finally got the full story of Gin's past. Like finally and Shinsuke's hatred makes a lot of sense.

I mean you can say you did not like them, but these top shows must have done something right to be there no? And really what is a right choice for the best anime of a season?

I think that is a question I've asked here in the past, and it's one worth discussing. People base their likes and dislikes on very different criteria. For every person looking for just pure entertainment, you have your other person that cares about production and craft quality. To compare both and say one is right over the other is worthless because ultimately, everyone likes different things.

You can compile a list of shows that are popular, just like MAL does, but that same list may mean nothing to someone individually. Every show is good because it exists, and as long as it entertained one person, it is their prerogative whether it is their personal AOTY or not.

If the ratings had different categories, like best animation, best voice acting, etc, MAYBE then you would be able to narrow down why a show is liked by someone, and whether or not you want to watch it. As it is, a top 10 list in general works because we aren't critics, and it helps to give shows more exposure. The thing is that these are more likely to have fandom bias going into them. At any rate, these lists aren't the be all end all and I still enjoy reading through them, even when they don't line up with my own likes/dislikes.

I mean you can say you did not like them, but these top shows must have done something right to be there no? And really what is a right choice for the best anime of a season? You seem to like to say that some anime aren't deserving that place, but on what criteria?

The idea that being popular makes something good is a pretty massive fallacy.

Exalted

According to MAL, Yuri on Ice is better than Rakugo and Girlish Number is worse than Sword Art Online I&II. Actually, I'm not even sure why Girlish Number (and Izetta) are so low for MAL's standards...

Yeah Izzeta is really low :( ,and can't believe Drifters is so high. If you look for the scores for the entire fall season, you get some strange results:

1 Haikyuu!!: Karasuno VS Shiratorizawa - 9.12
2 Natsume Yuujinchou Go - 8.71
3 Yuri!!! on Ice 8.63
4 Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season - 8.40
5 Hibike! Euphonium 2 -8.23
6 Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 - 8.23
7 Ajin 2nd Season - 8.14
8 Drifters - 8.06
9 3-gatsu no Lion - 7.98
10 Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari - 7.79

11 Flip Flappers - 7.76
12 Fune wo Amu - 7.75
13 WWW,Working!! - 7.62
14 Watashi ga Motete Dousunda - 7.61
15 Keijo!!!!!!!! - 7.50
16 Magic-Kyun! Renaissance - 7.33
17 ViVid Strike! - 7.28
18 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ - 7.26
19 Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku - 7.23
20 Cardfight!! Vanguard G: Next - 7.20
21 Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume - 7.20
22 Nanbaka - 7.19
23 All Out!! - 7.17
24 Occultic;Nine - 7.16
25 Gi(a)rlish Number - 7.13
26 Show By Rock!! - 7.10
27 Bubuki Buranki: Hoshi no Kyojin - 7.04
28 Kaitou Joker 4th Season -7.03
29 Shuumatsu no Izetta - 7.00
30 Stella no Mahou - 6.99
31 Lostorage Incited WIXOSS - 6.96
32 12-sai.: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki - 6.96
33 To Be Hero - 6.94
34 Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru - 6.84
35 Soushin Shoujo Matoi - 6.82
36 Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+! - 6.80
37 Teekyuu 8 - 6.72
38 Brave Witches - 6.68
39 Nobunaga no Shinobi - 6.68
40 Chi's Sweet Home - 6.59
41 Trickster - 6.64
42 Tiger Mask W - 6.42
43 Kiitarou Shounen no Youkai Enikki - 6.35
44 Long Riders! - 6.34
45 Gakuen Handsome - 6.26
46 Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara. 2nd Season - 6.16
47 Nyanbo! - 6.15
48 Bernard-jou Iwaku. - 6.03

How many people here would actually agree with this ranking?
According to this that show that Narag watched (Bernard) is one of the worst ever , lol.

Quasar

Yeah Izzeta is really low :( ,and can't believe Drifters is so high. If you look for the scores for the entire fall season, you get some strange results:

According to this that show that Narag watched (Bernard) is one of the worst ever , lol.

Well....the only shows I liked missing from the 10 is Great Passage and Girlish number. And the former is 12.

Of course my rankings would be more like...

Great Passage
Pocos Udon World
Sound Euphonium
Lion
Natsume
Girlish Number

The rest

And Anime of the Season Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters is only at a 6.41, which would put it near the bottom of that list.

So yeah, MAL users generally have shitty taste.

Enjoying the holidays watching some anime that was in the backlog.

Garo The Animation 1-24

That was a great dark fantasy anime.

The cast of characters were really compelling as each one had they own well-crafted backstories that drove their actions during the story. Leon was a surprisingly tolerable edgelord that grew up. German was best dad. Mendonza was a well crafted and competent villain. Last, Garm is an asshole fuck that guy.

The action was great, some of the fights were truly inventive because of the monster designs and the competent use of CG (btw the CG used to render the Garo armors was great). The standout was episode 18 sword fight, truly the best.

The art also sold the show. The background art was truly beautiful, for example the Kinight of Light mural, giving life to the world as well the destroyed town or desolate places showing death.

I also enjoyed the episodes that people would call "filler" such as the
Mecha Garo
, as they tied with some of the messages the show was passing on.

I could say a lot of other things but I will end it by recommending to this show to anyone who is the mood for a dark fantasy anime.

I think that is a question I've asked here in the past, and it's one worth discussing. People base their likes and dislikes on very different criteria. For every person looking for just pure entertainment, you have your other person that cares about production and craft quality. To compare both and say one is right over the other is worthless because ultimately, everyone likes different things.

You can compile a list of shows that are popular, just like MAL does, but that same list may mean nothing to someone individually. Every show is good because it exists, and as long as it entertained one person, it is their prerogative whether it is their personal AOTY or not.

If the ratings had different categories, like best animation, best voice acting, etc, MAYBE then you would be able to narrow down why a show is liked by someone, and whether or not you want to watch it. As it is, a top 10 list in general works because we aren't critics, and it helps to give shows more exposure. The thing is that these are more likely to have fandom bias going into them. At any rate, these lists aren't the be all end all and I still enjoy reading through them, even when they don't line up with my own likes/dislikes.
That's a pretty good point and it would be awesome if MAL tweaked their rating a bit, but it probably isn't worth the effort for them. The main reason I responded is that you seemed to insinuate that certain shows did not deserve their place and I found the idea a little reductive(for a lack of a better word). I mean, if a show succeeded at grabbing peoples attention, then by all means it did it's job of entertainment well.

But yea I mostly agree with you, in the end it's all a matter of opinions and opinions get people triggered.

The idea that being popular makes something good is a pretty massive fallacy.
When did anybody write that? In the list I gave, some of the shows there barely even got noticed like Saiki.

Do I agree completely with it? no, but I do think it's not bad and gives an ok representation of the season.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This year also has In This Corner of the World, the Garo movie, and Pop in Q. There's no shortage of anime films which could at least be arguably better.
And Koe no Katachi obviously is.
Generally speaking voting for a theater release is kind of useless and AotY voting for movies is dictated around a movie's home release.

JCG

Code Geass 4-5

Also...

Pizza Hut?!!?!?
A0B8833E1F360988BDBCC62F7B0BFFD31BED74F9

Everything you ever wanted to know about that (or not):

The CONTINUE magazine for this month had an interview with the Pizza Hut marketing manager. Supposedly the deal with Pizza Hut happened because Eureka 7 featured a different pizza chain. The person in charge of Pizza Hut marketing saw it and thought "Damn, why didn't I think of that?", and after that approached the Code Geass staff with the idea.

Originally Pizza Hut was supposed to make only about 3 ~ 4 appearances in the show, but either Taniguchi or the producers must have been really amused by the idea and added all sorts of scenes. The marketing manager was really shocked when the delivery motorcycle actually made an appearance in the show. Neither did he expect to see the Pizza Hut logo all over the place. According to him, the limited time-only Code Geass Pizza Hut box is now considered a "rare" item.

For the record, they did take most of the ads out of the U.S. release.

YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world anime announced.
https://twitter.com/chiyomaru5pb/status/813364321484840960

Studio is Feel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omaq43TDqNc

The studio is not exactly impressive as far as I can tell. I've never really played that game/VN, but it does have a reputation. It would require some sort of Higurashi-esque approach, no?

Do I agree completely with it? no, but I do think it's not bad and gives an ok representation of the season.

What does representation of the season even mean? Isnt their list pretty sensitive to shows with low viewers/viewers who may not have even made it past episode 1/2 of a show and also traditional biases against shorts/kids anime/music anime?

"A lot of people like this therefore it must be good" is a terrible metric that should never be used when discussing a show's quality.

Quasar

"A lot of people like this therefore it must be good" is a terrible metric that should never be used when discussing a show's quality.

I'm not sure anyone was doing that, just in terms of watch the audience in general liked most. A shows quality of course is really a personal thing seen through the persons biases.

HEYBOT! is so low its not even on this list. That's how you know MAL sucks.

MAL scores are rancid with fanboys that will spam 10s on Gintama, FMA, Haikyuu and now Your Name for dick waving competitions

Ascheroth

And Anime of the Season Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters is only at a 6.41, which would put it near the bottom of that list.

So yeah, MAL users generally have shitty taste.

Speaking about that:

Digimon Appli Monsters #11-12

This was fantastic. Finally visiting this shows version of the Digimon World (the Net Ocean... which is literally an ocean made up of (underwater) islands) was really cool. I'm not sure if it was Tamers or Digimon Adventure 2, but I think it feels kind of similiar to an episode in one of those.
Very fun adventure with some nice comedy and character interactions. Then Sakusimon appears and our team gets their ass handed again. And then Rei appears and things get fucking dark with his backstory, like damn. Really made me empathize and like him a lot.
Haru and gang coming to his aid later was a really good 'turning point' moment, and the ensuing fight against Sakusimon was just amazing.

If it continues like this I can easily see it getting up there with Tamers as one of my favorite Digimon seasons.

Just goes to show how much of a joke MAL ratings are.

What does representation of the season even mean? Isnt their list pretty sensitive to shows with low viewers/viewers who may not have even made it past episode 1/2 of a show and also traditional biases against shorts/kids anime/music anime?
Ok let me correct myself, it's an ok representation for my view in the season. Show that I really liked are high and show that I found ok are between 6-7, except for maybe O;9 that I would place higher. Even O;9 recovered well with how much people hated it from that first episode. So yea a good representation.
We never mentionned quality though. I said these shows must have done something right to be there. The characters, the animation or the story, something must have worked.

Of course, popularity does not equal quality, and that was never once brought up since it's something known.

The 1-10/10 rating, imo for MAL's case, is more of an enjoyment meter anyway.

John Blade

Now, this is not something I expect to see. An episode which backtrack to introduce us the two main characters, Lu Amano & Yao Sakurakouji. It start with introduce more of Yao Sakurakouji characters like how she join the police and her backstory of her past when she was a child (some of them is just mess up to think too hard that I don't want to post it here). They is some brief introduce of Lu Amano characters but nothing too much to say as it's very brief to say.

Also, they have this weird behind the scene discussion of how the show is started and how some of the main and supporting characters have change during the show or disappeared (one of them is kinda racist when you think about it for a bit). Lot's of WTF moment here and did smile near the end of one of the support character who suppose to be a love interest for Lu but die on duty mostly how his name is pronounce in Japanese.

Overall, a very odd episode to watch. Feel like just random stuff happening because it need to happen and somehow put it together well in this episode.

JulianImp

I watched all of Izetta, but it was mostly kind of meh. It still beat crap such as Magical Girl Raising Project, but the serries' climax was pretty lame and anticlimatic (so they both charged their genkidamas until Sophie died and Izetta passed out? Okay), and then there was all the gratuitious fanservice that made no sense with how the show was dead serious otherwise.

And as for AotY votes, I think you've got to remember that they're popularity contests more than anything. All in all, people aren't going to vote for stuff they haven't watched, and that means that marketing, publicity and virality make it that much more likely for people to have watched Kabaneri than, say Rakugo.

Quasar

And as for AotY votes, I think you've got to remember that they're popularity contests more than anything. All in all, people aren't going to vote for stuff they haven't watched, and that means that marketing, publicity and virality make it that much more likely for people to have watched Kabaneri than, say Rakugo.

Well I'd certainly rather people vote for what they watched and liked than shows they didn't but are voting for because it has buzz/lots of marketing. It's like letting people rate games/apps they never used/played.

Jex

Whats admirable is that its a show made for no one. Sure its for kids but kids are not going to get jokes about the golden ratio or the Final Fight continue screen.

Hell they found the one guy in Japan who knows what Zardoz is. People here don't know what Zardoz is.

Heybot seems to exist just so that other people can watch it 2nd hand via Twitter posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom