• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puzzle & Dragons X Episode 26 – Surviving the Storm
C0ulQvIWEAECmZY.jpg:small
C0un0ZMXEAI-2Va.jpg:small

Excellent final episode of the year. Enjoyed the feelings shared by Tamazo and Ace but then also their growth.
Tamazo powering up even from the egg. But then cooking it sunny side up, nice

Watched it a few months ago through Google Play (i think)

It was ok but not something I'd watch again. I liked the art but I don't think it has much merit to it other than that

Ha ha, that's fair. Good to know it's on a service though, I wasn't sure what the distribution was like considering my viewing of it at a theater was random and led me to believe that it had limited release.

Trust me that seeing it on the big screen in 4k was kinda awesome though.

Can't disagree more. I think Belladona of Sadness has more to say, and more worth, than most of the anime released this year.

[Belladona of Sadness]

I don't really see that being a "problem" with the movie because it's not attempting to be a naturalistic story. It's a fable, with a fairly clear message that it's not trying to shy away from. It's not attempting to a tell a traditional story with more conventionally fleshed our characters.

When looking at the story from under these conditions, it would be odd not to reflect the reality that women regularly suffer abuse by their husbands in their own homes.

Imma agree with Jexhius on this, as I felt the movie had a lot to offer and due to it's fable nature, most things that were wonky or weird due to the unsubtle psychedelic imagery were actually pushing for more subtle nuances of the story.

For example, and I could write on this for a while but I just got home from New York so I'm more inclined to pass the fuck out, when we talk about the devil and it pertaining to her sexuality, I saw it more as
her viewing sexuality as evil, due to it being forced upon her when she was a virgin so all she knew of it was the rape and terrible feelings that were associated with it. So when she begins to awaken to her own sexuality she sees it as the devil, that all of these good feelings she's having from sexuality are evil. But awakening to her sexuality gives her strength and power; as they say in the movie, it makes her more beautiful and confident and she sees such success with it. After everything, when she finally gives in to the devil their sex is not the invasive pressure of the rape she received but is instead a literal melting of her body into becoming one with the devil; in this instance she is fully embracing and accepting of her sexuality and how good it feels. She is owning it, divorcing it from it's ties to the trauma she sustained through feelings of guilt and her and the devil become one entity. After this point in the movie we only see the Devil again once, and hear about him once; in the imagery of the orgy scenes where he occupies the same center location as Jeanne and more tellingly when the old lady speaks about her experience with Jeanne and says that when she told Jeanne, Jeanne started crying and that when she looked up to see she saw the Devil who was wailing for her lost grandson; the implication being that she was still looking at Jeanne and Jeanne had become the devil. She has owned her past trauma and sexual violence and no longer let it rule her but taken it in and made it her own.
Now, the movie isn't perfect and honestly some of that extrapolation and interpretation I'm doing can be hurt by certain aspects of the film (the crazy 70s imagery during the sex for instance) but I think it makes the context of the ending make sense.
As the Priest said, if her soul is taken by "the devil" then burning her would only cause the sparks from her wicked soul to ignite the crowd. Which is exactly what happens. Jeanne's burning shows the women of the village, who Jeanne helped be comfortable with their sexuality and love, that they were all like her and that any one of them could be burning up their on the cross in her place.
The...French Revolution stuff sorta lost me hard tho. A nice idea, but never alluded to, and the timeframe of the fable never gave you a context for the actions because the Black Plague happens which occurred waaaay before the French Revolution so...yeah, it seemed really outta left field.

I feel like I could talk about this movie for a long while.

Also, I am almost positive that a still from this movie of Jeanne looking slightly upwards with just her head framed by her hair was used as an album cover or something by a 70s band. I saw the shot in the movie and immediately was like "Wait, I've seen that before"

Kuromukuro 16

Cutting back and forth between the cosplay filming trip and the Efidolg infiltration of Kurobe was a bit awkward with the tone mismatch, but I liked the infiltration events. Kennosuke's character is being pushed really hard now after the appearance of Muetta/Yuki/whoever she really is.

Kuromukuro 17

The second half had a noticeably more dynamic storyboard than the first; I'll guess that was the half done by Masaki Tachibana. The aerial combat had some great choreography, as well as some very attractive clouds. One thing I like about the Glongur mecha is that they each have their own gimmick, such as spider-like legs or wings, that makes for unique battle abilities as well as making them look less humanoid. The ogre's appearance and statements towards the end deepen the mystery as they hint at a more complex past than Kennosuke currently believes. I'm pretty curious to see exactly how those revelations will go down.
The fragmentary memory Kennosuke remembered after Muetta stabbed him seems to indicate that the princess and the ogre were in league when Kennosuke was made to ride the Kuromukuro, but there still isn't a good sense of what the context for that is.

Can't disagree more. I think Belladona of Sadness has more to say, and more worth, than most of the anime released this year.

Ha ha, that's fair. Good to know it's on a service though, I wasn't sure what the distribution was like considering my viewing of it at a theater was random and led me to believe that it had limited release.

Trust me that seeing it on the big screen in 4k was kinda awesome though.

Imma agree with Jexhius on this, as I felt the movie had a lot to offer and due to it's fable nature, most things that were wonky or weird due to the unsubtle psychedelic imagery were actually pushing for more subtle nuances of the story.

The thing is you guys are totally right about its message on female sexuality and ownership being particularly neat in today's pool of anime. However, I would have preferred if they could've toned down on the "symbolism ride" and made the film a bit more "grounded"? Personally I'd like to see a more fluid remake to make the core of the fable easier to digest (to me, anyways lol)

Sound! Euphonium 2 - 12
Seeing Taki defuse Reina
confessing to him in public, TWICE
was astounding. He clearly doesn't give a Trump's ass.
But I swear, if we get a
Kumiko x Shuuichi
end, then we're gonna see Kumiko x Reina fans in a riot at KyoAni.

Tuck

Yuri on Ice 1-4
So much bait. I love it.

Show is really good so far. I like the characters, the skating scenes are stellar and the ED has a great beat.

Probably power through this in a day or two. Then Haikuu!!!

The thing is you guys are totally right about its message on female sexuality and ownership being particularly neat in today's pool of anime. However, I would have preferred if they could've toned down on the "symbolism ride" and made the film a bit more "grounded"? Personally I'd like to see a more fluid remake to make the core of the fable easier to digest (to me, anyways lol)

Hey, it was the 70s! That was probably pretty toned down for them!

After like an hour of flipping through the shows list of CR and Funimation to find something that I felt like watching, I went to amazon and started Kabaneri. The first 4 episode were awesome, but man Amazon's player is awful. The quality keeps fluctuating between 1080p and like 144p and it's really bringing down the experience. How can I enjoy a pretty show like Kabaneri if the quality goes to shit? Hopefully it's just today and I'll have a better experience tomorrow.

After like an hour of flipping through the shows list of CR and Funimation to find something that I felt like watching, I went to amazon and started Kabaneri. The first 4 episode were awesome, but man Amazon's player is awful. The quality keeps fluctuating between 1080p and like 144p and it's really bringing down the experience. How can I enjoy a pretty show like Kabaneri if the quality goes to shit? Hopefully it's just today and I'll have a better experience tomorrow.

Sounds like your internet speeds are very variable

Oh man, watching Yuri on Ice, what an adorable show. Those two are so cute together.

Yuri on Ice 1-4
So much bait. I love it.

Show is really good so far. I like the characters, the skating scenes are stellar and the ED has a great beat.

Probably power through this in a day or two. Then Haikuu!!!

Yes!! Just started over the weekend and I'm already on episode 10.

Sounds like your internet speeds are very variable

To my knowledge I have a pretty good internet speed and I watched some shows today on very easily stuttering players like funimation's ps4 app with no problems. I don't like their quality options too, it's either variable or SD...bleh

If it's my internet having problems(probably is) then I'll see tomorrow.

Edit: I just tried streaming through CR and it works just fine...damn you Amazon!

duckroll

Flip Flappers - Episode 7

?????????????????????

What is this show?

?????????????????????

I feel they want to say something, and there's a clear intention in the last few episode to try and express a continuous theme, but it feels like it's failing so badly because this wasn't why anyone would have started watching this show to begin with, and there is this strange lack of transitions anywhere which makes it just puzzling to watch.

I'm not sure why I'm still watching this...

?????????????????????

What is this show?

?????????????????????

I feel they want to say something, and there's a clear intention in the last few episode to try and express a continuous theme, but it feels like it's failing so badly because this wasn't why anyone would have started watching this show to begin with, and there is this strange lack of transitions anywhere which makes it just puzzling to watch.

You can stop after episode 8 when you get sorta Pacific Rim world....

Narag

?????????????????????

What is this show?

?????????????????????

Looking forward to your thoughts about the next ep.

?????????????????????

What is this show?

?????????????????????

Should proceed directly to the next ep, just saying.

Then stop there.

Jarmel

Banned
Keijo-12
Well I feel bad as you can clearly see the animators trying and really struggling to just get through this episode. There was a tweet earlier saying that they almost delayed the episode due to production reasons and you can clearly see why. This episode was even more inconsistent than Yuri on Ice's final episode. It's a shame that the production values on the final set of episodes kind of just came undone like this, not that it was ever a great looking show. It's a pity too as you can see, underneath the still frames and off-character models, some solid action storyboarding going on at certain points.
While I enjoyed Keijo, it does feel like a missed opportunity in some regards. The only studio that seems capable of putting out solid action animation consistently nowadays seems like BONES. The puns though were great, and in the end that's all that really matters.
YlvTQX5.png

In which a girl's right boob bounces to signify her alternate personality wants to have a conversation.
I can't imagine Tsugumomo is going to turn out any better. RIP in pieces

Sound! Euphonium 2 - 12
Seeing Taki defuse Reina
confessing to him in public, TWICE
was astounding. He clearly doesn't give a Trump's ass.
But I swear, if we get a
Kumiko x Shuuichi
end, then we're gonna see Kumiko x Reina fans in a riot at KyoAni.

duckroll

Flip Flapping - Episode 8

There was action. There were explosions. There were robots. But I fell asleep twice watching this. This series is the most unengaging sakuga action series I've seen. I don't even understand what is going on anymore, nor do I care.

what the fuck happened

Art.

phaze

Miss Bernard said 12 END

A delightfully charming and quite funny series of shorts that even managed to squeeze in a heartwarming story about a growing friendship of two diametrically different people. Reccommended.

Line_HTX

I thought that ufotable almost bankrupt because of God Eater?

At least they're doing a good job with Zestiria the Cross. Gotta say, those characters look really good.

jgminto

I don't think I'm mentally capable of playing such dated looking game. :(
It's such a fun adventure with a great cast of characters, it makes the long commitment much more bearable than when you're following a loser like Tidus. Also the prerendered backgrounds still look great in 9.

Rainy

Banned
WWW. Working!! 8

I feel like so much of the show is centered around Miyakoshi and honestly she's my least favorite character...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom