• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
The problem with full-powered suit scene is it becomes this shallow special effects sequence, like Transformers, Hulk vs Abom or Jaegar vs Kaiju.

Tony having only flimsy prototypes against Killian made the fights more human vs human, allowing for more fun choreography, clever moves and matching wits.

Yeah...no

Iron Mans "cleverness" is his ability to use engineering prowess and apply theoretical knowledge into applied science and production/fabrication. Much like the first movie did multiple times, and the scene in the 3rd where he made weapons in a hardware store. His gift is invention he's ultimately a builder, not a clever escape artist and on the fly sequences that would get him killed.

J10

Banned
The Empire article implies the scene of the dead Avengers in Age of Ultron might be the work of Thanos. One of Wanda's premonitions I assume.

strafer

10606196_783352538415650_4446924298062197096_n.jpg

and beaten.....

coolest robot design in a while

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The Empire article implies the scene of the dead Avengers in Age of Ultron might be the work of Thanos. One of Wanda's premonitions I assume.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=114267
... the magazine then goes on to discuss the scene in the Comic-Con trailer which featured Tony Stark looking at an asteroid littered with the bodies of his fellow Avengers (they also confirm that this was an illusion created by the Scarlet Witch). Are they all dead at the hands of Thanos? "I can neither confirm nor deny that it totally is." Notice the emphasis there? There you have it! Of course, if this is an illusion created by Wanda, she won't know what Thanos looks like, so we may not see him make a physical appearance. A cameo does seem likely...

Wazzy

Banned
Finally something more of the twins. They haven't been promoting them very much which is disappointing.

Wait, there'll be a scene of dead Avengers in Age of Ultron?

I didn't know that.

It was in the first sneak peak at comic con. I think there's a small scene of it in the trailers too.

Pachimari

Finally something more of the twins. They haven't been promoting them very much which is disappointing.

It was in the first sneak peak at comic con. I think there's a small scene of it in the trailers too.
Oh, the one where we see Captain America's broken shield and all?

Loving that Ultron cover so much I just made it my phone wallpaper.

Not feeling that group shot however. Way too photoshop looking. Wonder why Marvel hasn't released any group shot promo pieces. Maybe further evidence the group doesn't survive the film intact?

richiek

Pre-credits screen description from Empire:

As Stark is flying the ship, [Robert] Downey Jr. goes and sits in the pilot's seat. [Jeremy] Renner lies down on a table in the middle of the jet and clutches his stomach while a fake drip is attached to his arm. It's clear that, whatever went down at von Strucker's, it has left the Avengers' ace archer in considerable distress. As the dialogue plays out, it becomes clear that [Mark Ruffalo's] Bruce Banner has Hulked out, or what he calls a "code green," during the assault on Strucker's fortress, and is deeply troubled by it. [Scarlett Johansson's] Natasha tries to reassure him - "If you hadn't been there, there would have been double the casualties." Banner grimaces, and replies with, "You know, sometimes exactly what I want to hear isn't exactly what I want to hear." Seeking back-up, Natasha turns to[Chris Hemsworth's] Norse god. "Thor, report on the Hulk?" she asks. Hemsworth immediately lights up and lets rip with a rousing tribute to all the violence unleashed by the Hulk, filled with words like "screams" and "victims" and "whimpering". Seeing that it has the opposite effect to that intended on Banner, the God of Thunder turns God of Blunter, stammering and stumbling, digging himself deeper into a hole.

This confirms that
the Avengers fight von Strucker and Hydra
in the beginning of the film.

a916

I have hated on this Ultron design since they showed it... with the slimmest of hopes that he ends up being his more comic book version by the end of it... however that's a dope cover and he looks sick and menacing in that.

richiek

Aaron Taylor Johnson talks Quicksilver.

"He's very agitated because everything runs too slowly for him. He's quick at everything. He's quick to lose his temper." As for how he'll interact with the Scarlet Witch, Johnson added: "It's more about Pietro and Wanda together, a yin/yang where he's very physical and very protective of her and she's very internal and always mothering him. Pietro doesn't [frick]ing trust anybody. The only one he cares for and at the end of the day will jump in front of a bullet for is his sister, Wanda."

When it was put to him that his Quicksilver will be a pretty intense guy, he added: "I hope so. We all wanted to pull it back to the comic book. That's why we did East European accents," confirming that the duo will indeed be speaking with a European twang in the sequel.

As for how his powers will be portrayed on screen, it definitely sounds different to The Flash and X-Men: Days of Future Past, with Johnson comparing how he went about handling these moments to his childhood. "Every time I enter or exit a scene I am a blur. I would perfect the skid really well. You know how you're a kid at school and on a rainy day in the playground the skidding would be a competition? It was like that. I was really good at skidding and not just in straight lines. I would run in and then do the scene and run out and then they'd have to do it exactly the same again but without any actors. A 'Pietro Pass' is what they'd call it. Then they might need an 'Iron Man Pass' and someone might go in dressed as a big Iron Man, and then a 'Hulk Pass' and they'd get the biggest stunt guy, who's like, f*cking 300lb of muscle and he'd stand there painted green."

Wait, did someone say X-Men: Days of Future Past?

As it turns out, Johnson was a fan of that take on Quicksilver, but doesn't appear to give a damn about having some competition on the big screen with another actor playing essentially the same character! "That was already out there before I even signed the contract. If I'd cared that much, I would have said no. It didn't phase me for one minute. What I knew of it was that Evan Peters' Quicksilver was set in the '70s, and it was different. I didn't watch any of it while making Avengers, but I did see it recently, and it was fantastic."

Anyone else worried that Eastern European accents for the twins will be distracting?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I like the sound of it being an agitated dick quicksilver, I was worried he wouldn't be like that based on the limited imagery we've seen of him so far.

Sounds like they have Quicksilver down. I've always loved the idea that he's a dick because he feels like people slow him down.

Someone have the comic screen of Quicksilver talking to the psychologist and the snail puzzle?

---

So hyped for this movie. I'm surprised people are turning around to the Ultron design, didn't people hate it because it was too humanlike?

BobLoblaw

Banned
Someone have the comic screen of Quicksilver talking to the psychologist and the snail puzzle?

---

So hyped for this movie. I'm surprised people are turning around to the Ultron design, didn't people hate it because it was too humanlike?
I think it was mostly just the teeth. Yes, the teeth.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That Ultron Empire cover is fantastic.

Sorry, all I read was

before laughing my ass off thinking about the DOFP threads on this forum.
Huh? Just because he wasn't cast doesn't mean they haven't been planning that shit forever (and evidently from Whedon's comments, before Avengers 1 even).

dankir

For all of still wondering if he'll have his classic look, I'm sure in the final battle his face will be torn up and he end up like this for a bit.

It's in the movie, I'm sure of it.

Ultron_Dialogue.png

Hell if remove those "speakers" from his cheeks he'll practically look like that already.

richiek

Elizabeth Olsen talks Scarlet Witch:

"The coolest thing about Scarlet Witch is, because you've never seen her, we got to create how she moves. Joss was really inspired by dancers, and so he knew that he wanted to change visually how she moves, to be more like a dancer than a fighter. I didn't really have to do much stunt training. Instead I trained with a dancer, Jenny White, which was its own kid of soreness, but it wasn't what I thought it would be."

A lot of fans have been surprisingly critical about the inclusion of "The Twins", claiming that the movie - which they have not yet seen - is far too crowded as a result of their inclusion. However, it sounds like their presence will be meaningful, with Olsen revealing the following about both the sequel serving as an origin story and her character's powers. "Age of Ultron is almost our origin story, so we don't have one of those montages where heroes learn all of their powers in five minutes. We are still discovering the things we can and cannot do. The extent of her powers isn't fully explored in Ultron. But she can manipulate objects. And she has visions, and she has the ability to share them." There's one thing Scarlet Witch isn't, however! "She's not a mutant!"

There has also been a lot of confusion about Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch too, especially as it appears as if their allegiance will shift from Baron von Strucker to Ultron to The Avengers. What leads to that? Well, it sounds like a lot of it will have be to do with their upbringing (even if that doesn't include Magneto). "Obviously there are plenty of countries in the world that hate America, for whatever history and pain they believe it has caused their own country and their own lives. That is the world we have created for Wanda and Pietro, to have been brought up in. What you're told a lot of times growng up is that that, country, those people, their way of living is the reason why we have been bombed. [The Avengers] are the worst evil in Wanda and Pietro's mind, not this guy who hasn't done anything yet." Oh, and what about a possible romance with The Vision, a character played by Paul Bettany in Avengers: Age of Ultron? "[Laughs] I don't know what you're talking about..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom