• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
51ebe801df1e89cbf816b664303b16c3.png

that made me laugh

TDLink

Despite that logo being fake, there is evidence that Wakanda and/or Black Panther may be showing up in Age of Ultron anyways, which I have a pretty good feeling about.

LaNaranja

So after the Agents of Shield season finale it seems safe to assume we are going to see going to see the avenger
Director Phil Coulson
make an appearance right?

Blader

So after the Agents of Shield season finale it seems safe to assume we are going to see going to see the avenger
Director Phil Coulson
make an appearance right?

Likely not. There's a good chance that the status quo will change again before the movie comes out anyway.

Honestly, while it would be cool to have him in Avengers 2, there's a part of me that wants him to show up in a solo Hulk film, Banner doesn't remember who he is and he gets really disappointed.

If I had to work out as hard as they do for that figure, I would be pretty pissed if they had me covered during the entire film.

I thought I remembered Hemsworth saying during the Thor 1 press stuff that he gladly took his shirt off for the first film. His thinking was "I worked my ass off to look like this, you're damn right I want proof of it on screen."

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-spoilery-scoop-tidbits-on-avengers-2-ultron-costumes-more

Some megaton updates:

ULTRON

There will be 3 different versions of Ultron throughout the movie. His original state is very rudimentary, but, as he does in the comics, Ultron is constantly upgrading. He is coated in Vibranium and spends the film seeking out more of the raw material to continue his "upgrades." (Speculation note: In the comics, Vibranium is found in the fictional African nation of Wakanda, home to Black Panther. Another clue to T'Challa appearing in the film? Perhaps). James Spader is playing the titular villain and our source says that he will be doing mo-cap for at least one iteration of the character, meaning that Ultron may be much more than "just a helmet" at some point.

THE AVENGERS

Tony Stark is indeed bankrolling The Avengers this time out. With the dissolution of S.H.I.E.L.D. in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER and it's subsequent "handover" to Phil Coulson in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Tony Stark takes on the role of global security by housing The Avengers in the former Stark Tower, now Avengers Tower (featuring the "A" on the building, as teased in both Cap 2 and the end of THE AVENGERS), where he funds new tech, new costumes, and even a new Quinjet

IRON LEGION

While that may not be the actual name of them, Tony Stark/Iron Man has created an army of Iron Man "drones" (much like he utilized at the end of IRON MAN 3) and uses them to "keep the peace." (Could that be who Quicksilver is pummeling through in the concept art above?) The Avengers are not in hiding or attempting to keep a low profile. They are very public and "out" about their intention of keeping the world safe, especially with the absence of S.H.I.E.L.D.

VISION

While the costume is said to retain the green/yellow color scheme, albeit with the usual Marvel Cinematic upgrade, our source indicates that, much like Ultron, Vision (played by Paul Bettany) is not expected to make his final, full reveal until the third act of the film. The how and why of that is wide open for discussion, but it makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if Vision makes the "sacrifice play" for this one, but that's just my feeling.

COSTUMES and WEAPONS

All (or most) of The Avengers will be rocking an Avengers logo on their costumes, courtesy of the upgrade to each superhero's duds, thanks to Stark (We've already gotten a peek at this with Cap's new uniform from the set). Black Widow will have 2 batons that have shocking ability as part of her new arsenal and Hawkeye will indeed be rocking the long sleeve jacket that is reminiscent of his comics costume (again, as we've already seen in set photos). Hulk will now be wearing "stretchy pants" that grow and shrink with him when he goes back and forth between Banner and Hulk. Lastly, War Machine is confirmed for a cameo, but won't feature throughout the main storyline. There is also a very good possibility that you'll see Anthony Mackie's Falcon make a similar appearance, but that's unconfirmed (both by our source and officially).

OPENING BATTLE

There are going to be a number of cool battles in the film (duh), with one of them taking place in a forested area, which may or may not lead to a confrontation with Baron Von Strucker and their first encounter with "The Twins" aka Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch. This sequence is said to be near the opening of the film and will be where we see our first "hero shot" of the team together. Could this be when we finally hear Cap or Iron Man yell out the famous battle cry, "Avengers Assemble"? Perhaps, but that's just my speculation/hope.

Blader

Any news in a AoS cameo? Coulson begging Stark for funds'?

There's no doubt in my mind that that status quo will be undone by the time Avengers 2 rolls around.

The tv series has to follow what happens in the movies, not vice versa. As far as movie watchers know, Coulson is dead and SHIELD is dismantled. They can't suddenly introduce back-to-life Phil Coulson, now director of a brand new SHIELD, in the movies without delving into some heavy backstory that no one has time for. So my guess is that by the time AoS concludes its second season, this new SHIELD will be gone as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if the show ends up building to Coulson dying again, just to maintain that "Coulson is dead" status within the movies.

Wow that is a lot of new news. Thanks for this richiek.

MCU is so fluid. Take my monies.

I do wonder however what Fury is doing.
Maybe S.W.O.R.D. in preparation for GOTG perhaps(?), that would make the most sense, Agent Brandt?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's nothing in those details that is very spoilery or wasn't assumed already, TBH. Iron Legion is a surprise though, and I wouldn't put my money on that, especially considering the events of IM3.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Man, I'm really hyped for this, and this tidbits don't help :(

I do hope that they save "Avengers Assemble!" for the final fight though :p

aparisi2274

Probably a dumb question, but are we going to see Coulson make his return and say hi to the Avengers? Or are they gonna drag it out until Avengers 3?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Probably a dumb question, but are we going to see Coulson make his return and say hi to the Avengers? Or are they gonna drag it out until Avengers 3?
Coulson hasn't been called yet for his role.

I think if we see him, he'll be in Avengers 2.

There's no doubt in my mind that that status quo will be undone by the time Avengers 2 rolls around.

The tv series has to follow what happens in the movies, not vice versa. As far as movie watchers know, Coulson is dead and SHIELD is dismantled. They can't suddenly introduce back-to-life Phil Coulson, now director of a brand new SHIELD, in the movies without delving into some heavy backstory that no one has time for. So my guess is that by the time AoS concludes its second season, this new SHIELD will be gone as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if the show ends up building to Coulson dying again, just to maintain that "Coulson is dead" status within the movies.
I understand why you feel that way, but I don't think they'll need to explain much. Everyone knows there has been a TV series whether they watched it or not. They can laugh it off, Fury can break the news to them. Would be even shittier if they did what you describe. Hell, he can be introduced as the life-model-decoy of Coulson in a gag where Tony could never know that he is really alive and it would work.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

As of now, nothing confirmed. Though it'll probably be revealed seeing as Hill works with Stark and she knows, might let it slip or something.

End credits scene:
Stark: Cap's dead Fury, we can't bring him back.
Fury: Since we've had aliens and shit descend on New York, we started using their technology, we needed weapons to fight back. When S.H.I.E.L.D was active, we did experiments with alien DNA, to see the effects it had on people. Some resisted, some died, and it even brought others back to life.
Stark: That's sick, you can't just do that. You can't just play God.
Fury: It worked, Stark.
Stark: What about the consequences, where is the line drawn, how do you decide on who to revive and who not to, you can't just...
[Coulson walks in]
Coulson: Mr Stark, we need to talk.

I really expect it to be something that happens right at the end and Fury is setting up/running S.W.O.R.D and Coulson is doing his shit.

I have very specific ideas about how S.W.O.R.D. could be introduced, and they all involve Danvers. I'll be bummed if they do that before she shows up. :(

curb

Banned
Coulson hasn't been called yet for his role.

I think if we see him, he'll be in Avengers 2.

I understand why you feel that way, but I don't think they'll need to explain much. Everyone knows there has been a TV series whether they watched it or not. They can laugh it off, Fury can break the news to them. Would be even shittier if they did what you describe. Hell, he can be introduced as the life-model-decoy of Coulson in a gag where Tony could never know that he is really alive and it would work.

Marvel seems pretty adamant about the continuity of this pan-media MCU empire they're building. I think they're being pretty safe with the contents of the Shield show so I think you're right, there won't be much to explain. Sure, Coulson's resurrection isn't trivial an neither is Fury
putting him on the level of an Avenger and making him director of Shield
but I doubt it will play much of a part in Ulton. If Coulson is in the movie, it likely won't be a substantial part.

J10

Banned
Coulson is the last character I give a shit about appearing in a Marvel movie. He doesn't even have super powers or special abilities or a costume. Fuck that guy. Stay on TV.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I could totally see a scenario where Coulson just shows up while the Avengers are gathered going over a battle plan to stop Ultron, but because they're in a rush we don't have to get the explanation of how he was brought back. Stark and Cap could act surprised, but just brush it off until a later time. As they break, Tony and Phil would be the last to leave the room and Stark would say something like 'It's nice to have you back, Phil."

Why does Coulson show up? Well it'd be pretty obvious Ultron was wrecking shit around the world and the remaining SHIELD guys would be aware of this. He'd go to Avengers Tower with some left over SHIELD tech or weapons that he thinks would help out. There's a million ways to get him to New York.

Or possibly the most likely scenario is that the Avengers will know he's back by the time AoU comes out. An entire 2nd season of SHIELD will have aired by that time and to build up the hype for Avengers 2, I wouldn't be shocked if Downey or Evans makes a little guest appearance near the end of the season to hype up the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom