• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Ultron Drone
10009787_966909076658998_6121047054644835597_n.jpg

edit: okay apparently this is old, my bad.

I could see them letting Mel work on the movie, but absolutely never ever ever ever putting him on as director. Far too much baggage.

jelly

Has Mel Gibson overcome his issues or is he still a bit off the rails ?

Could deserve a second chance. Bad upbringing and addiction shouldn't put him out in the cold for life if he sorts himself out and rights his wrongs.

J10

Banned
Has Mel Gibson overcome his issues or is he still a bit off the rails ?

Could deserve a second chance. Bad upbringing and addiction shouldn't put him out in the cold for life if he sorts himself out and rights his wrongs.

He's probably too old to just stop being racist. Fuck him.

JustinBB7

Can we stop talking about Mel, every time this thread gets bumped I think there's actual news~ :'(

Speaking of that, checking first Avengers trailer, it came out October 11th, let us pray.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Enough about Mel Gibson... here's a new shot of an Ultron drone.

OeGwraU.png

and some Age of Ultron merchandise.

BzJDxCCCMAA3vKs.png

J10

Banned
Renner saying they go in and shoot about 3 takes and they are out says it all about Whedon's directorial capabilities.

Says more about the time and budget constraints. Fifty takes per shot on a movie like this would probably be a luxury for most directors.

Says more about the time and budget constraints. Fifty takes per shot on a movie like this would probably be a luxury for most directors.

It doesn't have to be 8 or 80. I really liked Serenity and Avengers, but I was hoping for Whedon to bump up his grasp on visual language and overall aesthetics. This makes me feel that once again it will be up to the witty writing and acting to carry the movie.

But I'm ready to be surprised.

BLACKLAC

It doesn't have to be 8 or 80. I really liked Serenity and Avengers, but I was hoping for Whedon to bump up his grasp on visual language and overall aesthetics. This makes me feel that once again it will be up to the witty writing and acting to carry the movie.

But I'm ready to be surprised.

The comments from people that have seen the comic-con trailers pretty much puts your concerns to rest.

nomis

Renner saying they go in and shoot about 3 takes and they are out says it all about Whedon's directorial capabilities.

That he's under heavy time and budget constraints but is able to instruct the performance he wants from the actors before he yells action? That he's confident enough in his writing to carry the storytelling, so three or four different non-flubbed variations are enough to choose from in the edit?

David Fincher shoots 80 takes because he can and because he is obsessively trying to get what he pictured from that actor in his mind, not because using any different 10 of those takes would impact the quality of the film enough for a viewer/critic to notice.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why should Thor, Iron man and Cap dont show up, when they all have enough movies left to make Avengers 3? What a bullshit article, Chris Evans even confirmed that he wont pass the shild in Cap 3.

And why shouldt Avengers 3 not be the Infinity Gauntlet Movie? There is still 5 years and like 10 movies left to establish new characters.

I call bullshit.

J10

Banned
What's more likely is Avengers 3 would be the end of that particular team configuration. For Phase 4 they rebrand the team as The Mighty Avengers, replace Cap with Carol, Thor with Ares, Hulk with Sentry, Tony with T'Challa.

Loke13

What's more likely is Avengers 3 would be the end of that particular team configuration. For Phase 4 they rebrand the team as The Mighty Avengers, replace Cap with Carol, Thor with Ares, Hulk with Sentry, Tony with T'Challa.
And the movie ends with Sentry going crazy and ripping Ares in half?

Well what if Marvel is betting on getting the rights back to F4 and or Spidey by Avengers 3 time?

I honestly think they'll stick with the current configuration until the actors want out. F4 and Spidey are big, but...

That being said, I could totally see Marvel and Sony working out something to get Garfield Spidey in A3 somehow. That would be huge for everybody.

The comments from people that have seen the comic-con trailers pretty much puts your concerns to rest.

I don't really put much stock in those, honestly. The type of people who are willing to camp out overnight to get into Hall H are not people I would expect to provide objective, critical analysis of AoU footage.

guek

Banned
As the director, Whedon has direct control over how the movie is shot.

However, as the director, he also doesn't have the time to dictate every scene, shot for shot. What he really needs is a better cinematographer. AoU has a new guy, Ben Davis, who also was the director of photography for Guardians of the Galaxy, Kick-Ass, Stardust, and Layer Cake. I like his body of work more than Seamus McGarvey who did the first Avengers movie.

As the director, Whedon has direct control over how the movie is shot.

However, as the director, he also doesn't have the time to dictate every scene, shot for shot. What he really needs is a better cinematographer. AoU has a new guy, Ben Davis, who also was the director of photography for Guardians of the Galaxy, Kick-Ass, Stardust, and Layer Cake. I like his body of work more than Seamus McGarvey who did the first Avengers movie.

Seamus McGarvey is a tip top cinematographer. I have no idea what the hell happened with him on Avengers.

anaron

Seamus McGarvey is a tip top cinematographer. I have no idea what the hell happened with him on Avengers.

I really don't get it. I mean, the film looks fantastic in parts but also terribly flat and cheap looking in a ton of others.

I have to chalk it up to Marvel and the strain of production or something because his films are generally gorgeous.

Weird thing to say considering Whedon has consistently gotten the best performances out of average actors and from all accounts, AoU is an enormous visual step up (like I assumed it would be)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
That being said, I could totally see Marvel and Sony working out something to get Garfield Spidey in A3 somehow. That would be huge for everybody.
Maybe.
Story-wise though, ASM1 would fit in the post Winter Soldier world, but ASM2 doesn't fit anywhere
which no one would care anyway because it sucked

This seems like such a click bait article. There's literally nothing to report on in this article. It all comes down to "hey people's contracts are going to expire In a little while. What if this happened?" Stupid article-don't give them the clicks.
This.

eastx

This seems like such a click bait article. There's literally nothing to report on in this article. It all comes down to "hey people's contracts are going to expire In a little while. What if this happened?" Stupid article-don't give them the clicks.

Literally nothing to report except for a big rumor that his sources seem to believe is true. Darn them, reporting on credible rumors.

I can kind of see where they're going with the Avengers 3 being two movies thing.

The first movie would focus on Thanos getting the infinity gauntlet and essentially beating the fuck out of the current Avengers and friends. It would be an Empire Strikes Back kind of deal, everyone's seemingly fucked but there is a glimmer of hope.

The second part has the new guys + possibly Guardians finding the deus ex MacGuffin they need to beat Thanos and then doing so.

This could work exceptionally well because after the ending of the first part everyone would be on a cliffhanger to see what happens and would be highly motivated to go see the next part even though all their friends are dead.

Then we'll get some Days of Future past reboot magic and all the roles are recast with cheaper actors, blah blah blah, the Marvel marches on.

I can kind of see where they're going with the Avengers 3 being two movies thing.

The first movie would focus on Thanos getting the infinity gauntlet and essentially beating the fuck out of the current Avengers and friends. It would be an Empire Strikes Back kind of deal, everyone's seemingly fucked but there is a glimmer of hope.

The second part has the new guys + possibly Guardians finding the deus ex MacGuffin they need to beat Thanos and then doing so.

This could work exceptionally well because after the ending of the first part everyone would be on a cliffhanger to see what happens and would be highly motivated to go see the next part even though all their friends are dead.

Then we'll get some Days of Future past reboot magic and all the roles are recast with cheaper actors, blah blah blah, the Marvel marches on.

It's funny that those "rumors" started popping up in September (according to a quick Google search). We've been speculating that here since atleast August
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125067011&postcount=198
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=124097339&highlight=thanos+imperative#post124097339
and that's not even the first time it was brought up.

LOL. even the bolded part has been speculated on too.

edit:
The thing about the rumor of a split Avengers 3, is they had it splitting between pt1 in May 2018 and pt2 in May 2019.... problem is that there are 2 movie dates inbetween those 2 dates. I don't see how that would work.
http://www.dailymarvelite.com/movies/avengers-3-scoop

Blader

How many takes a director shoots says nothing about anything. There are a plenty of great directors who get what they need in a couple takes.

So we know there will be a trailer at least by next month (I think?) with Interstellar, think we'll see something this month? Like for NYCC or something.

Dalek

Literally nothing to report except for a big rumor that his sources seem to believe is true. Darn them, reporting on credible rumors.

Again though-his "Sources" are reporting on nothing. "Hey, lets say we Disney can't sign on more films for the contracts-what if this happens?"

There is NOTHING. THERE.

eastx

Again though-his "Sources" are reporting on nothing. "Hey, lets say we Disney can't sign on more films for the contracts-what if this happens?"

There is NOTHING. THERE.

What's there is obvious. The rumor is that only Iron Man will appear in Avengers 3, not Thor, Captain America, and maybe even supporting players like Black Widow. Thus those characters will be saved for a follow-up film the next year.

I don't know what you're not getting. It seems like you just really hope the rumor is not true.

Blader

If that rumor is true, then that would mean Age of Ultron would be the last time getting Downey, Evans, and Hemsworth together. Which seems like a colossally wasted opportunity. So I sincerely doubt that's actually in the cards.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My interpretation of the article is that the threshold for what counts as a scoop or story is currently so low, that they'll run anything. So much for vetting sources and shit.

numble

There is NOTHING. THERE.
Seems to be something there if he was digging into a rumor and got more information from credible sources.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What's there is obvious. The rumor is that only Iron Man will appear in Avengers 3, not Thor, Captain America, and maybe even supporting players like Black Widow. Thus those characters will be saved for a follow-up film the next year.

I don't know what you're not getting. It seems like you just really hope the rumor is not true.
Yeah, makes total sense because their biggest player (Iron Man) couldnt appear then on the mystery followup Movie.

eastx

Yeah, makes total sense because their biggest player (Iron Man) couldnt appear then on the mystery followup Movie.

I didn't say it was a good idea, but they're probably considering all kinds of strategies to maximize what they can get from their existing actors without paying them more.

Honestly I don't see that happening and all. If Marvel has decided to finish off this whole arc using two films instead of one, I honestly don't see it being a problem for most if not all of their actors and contracts. Call me crazy but I don't think these guys are THAT eager to jump ship, and I think they can work out an agreeable rate at which to extend the contract or come back for one last film.

Yeah they're actors and all, but none of them seem like they hate making these movies THAT much, and they're not having to commit that much more time if both films will be shot within a reasonable time frame of one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom