• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Recall

As great as Caleb is at Mega Man X and how competitive he is at everything he does, it would have been nice just once not to do the Kanye West routine. He seemingly cannot stand it when he isn't the focus point.

I think I'm caught up now. Ninja Gaiden Relay Race was amazing by the way.

Tizoc

Corridor platformers never really stuck with me like other kinds did.

The idea behind the crash games being that way is to not make them have twitch reactions, at least that's what the creators stated in a dev blog I read :p
They're surely not for everyone though.

lol same here, ive been looking at snes prices on ebay as well as looking to the retron 5...

but then i look at the price of games that I want and im like ehhhhhh, fuck this is expensive...

Yeah it's expensive. I think I'll just buy some Virtual Console games on the Wii U and Shovel Knight.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I thought awful games block is over ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think I'll have to mute this, Daxter is even more unbearable in french...

The only Jak and Daxter game I have played is the PSP one Daxter and it was a great game, I couldn't put it down. Are the others worth trying someday?

Tizoc

The only Jak and Daxter game I have played is the PSP one Daxter and it was a great game, I couldn't put it down. Are the others worth trying someday?

Jak and Daxter 1 is a good platformer adventure game.
2 and 3 are gta-like games, and are good in their own way, but personally I prefer Jak 1 muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more.

The runner needs to stop being so down on himself.

Yes, Jak II is the best Jak game and a great game worth playing.

I didn't mind where the story went, but think it was the worst of the three. Third one improved the city and driving, but the story took a hit and first one was just a different kind of game that I enjoyed more.

The runner needs to stop being so down on himself.

I didn't mind where the story went, but think it was the worst of the three. Third one improved the city and driving, but the story took a hit and first one was just a different kind of game that I enjoyed more.
My thought is that the third one is in many ways just an expansion of 2 that is much shorter and easier. I'm a fan of the first as well but I find it a bit too easy to really love it. I feel like 2 offers a really interesting challenge and has a lot of great levels. It's a really substantial game. I understand my opinion is definitely not in the majority though (especially on GAF).

On topic, these runs are fascinating. The amount of thought that goes into them is really great. It's amazing how they distill such long games into a finely tuned run.

My thought is that the third one is in many ways just an expansion of 2 that is much shorter and easier. I'm a fan of the first as well but I find it a bit too easy to really love it. I feel like 2 offers a really interesting challenge and has a lot of great levels. It's a really substantial game. I understand my opinion is definitely not in the majority though (especially on GAF).

On topic, these runs are fascinating. The amount of thought that goes into them is really great. It's amazing how they distill such long games into a finely tuned run.

Since I actually didn't mind the "edgy" story of the second game my opinion is in the minority as well. Just feel that gameplay wise they fixed a bunch of stuff that was wrong with 2 in 3. Like the town being one big flat mess with no reason to it. But then they fucked the story with stuff like just dropping the previous love interest and the whole precursors are just some dumb (literally dumb, one is a surfer dude for comedy) ottsels. Because of the gameplay improvements I still enjoyed Jak 3 more though.

Every 3D game I've watched so far hasn't been enjoyable. Arkham, Animal Crossing, Spyro, Jak. Blech.

I like Arkham City, the commentary during the run was good, maybe a bit too talky but it was alright. Some of the stuff noted during Animal Crossing was interesting. But I just cannot stand watching someone speedrun a 3D game that isn't Mario 64 apparently. It seems like I'm watching someone play a game and exploit some stuff with no perceivable measure of skill required. It makes me think, what are they actually doing that's precise outside of setting up exploits? Whereas watching a 2D game, it seems immediately apparent even if I have never played the game. Probably just nostagia and simplicity(as an onlooker) makes 2D more favorable to speedruns.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Watching the mess that is Pokémon Red/Blue is always fun.

Every 3D game I've watched so far hasn't been enjoyable. Arkham, Animal Crossing, Spyro, Jak. Blech.

I like Arkham City, the commentary during the run was good, maybe a bit too talky but it was alright. Some of the stuff noted during Animal Crossing was interesting. But I just cannot stand watching someone speedrun a 3D game that isn't Mario 64 apparently. It seems like I'm watching someone play a game and exploit some stuff with no perceivable measure of skill required. It makes me think, what are they actually doing that's precise outside of setting up exploits? Whereas watching a 2D game, it seems immediately apparent even if I have never played the game. Probably just nostagia and simplicity(as an onlooker) makes 2D more favorable to speedruns.
I don't know, I thought this run, while not perfect, showed a ton of the skill that is required in the driving with reactions, and in the timing of jumps and shots. Similarly, the Spyro run had many precise routs and required really good timing on many of the flame shots and jumps. I like seeing the thought process that goes into planning out and executing these longer runs for 3D platformers.

Dimmle

Bomberman 64 was pretty good but I guess it's not really 3D.

Revven

Jak II isn't a very good showcase as a 3D game speed run. Jak I is a much better speed game than II and is very similar to Mario 64 in terms of the skill required to be good at it (though it's not on the same level obviously, just the same kind of ideas are in it). However they ran Jak I last year so they decided to run Jak II this year (or rather offer Jak II).

There are good 3D speed games besides Mario 64, in fact one is right after Pokemon: Metroid Prime.

Top Bottom