• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The reason that green space level doesn't have a good dev time is because you're not supposed to have the jetpack at the start. They assume you have pistol starts.

I love Occupied Territory.

Durante

I was waiting for Descent. Back when I played it (admittedly I was rather young) I found merely moving around challenging, seeing someone speedrun it is just ridiculous.

Motion Sickness the Game. Descent deathmatch was a trip. If you knew any part of the map better than your opponents it was never close.

NOPE Can't handle this constant camera pivoting. Bailing :X

Sesha

I remember playing the demo of Descent on PS1. Had completely forgotten about it. Weird to see. I'm actually getting nauseous as well. Dunno if it's because I'm thinking about it or because I'm really getting motion sickness. Thank god I'm not fullscreening.

Strange that Blood didn't get more attention in regards to gore and quite brutal imagery.

It's because no one played it compared to Doom, Mortal Kombat or GTA.

Simply mastering the art of moving around in Descent without causing a shitload of camera movement was my first challenge. I played the shit out of the game so it hurts not to be able to watch this speedrun, but I can't afford a massive headache right now.

2MF

I have no problem at all with that. Never had :p

I can't be the only one.

About the only time I got motion sick with games was when playing on a big projector screen, it was gut-wrenching. Might have been due to low FOV setting, not sure.

dmr87

I remember not understanding what the girl with the tattoo had to do with the game when watching the TV spots for it.

Never saw any commericals, and the girl were on the US cover right?

PAL
cllb.jpg

Anustart

Boy was fzero snes one boring ass run to watch. Just getting caught up. While battleblock theater is a mostly boring game as well, should be fun to see what pj's done with it.

I'm amazed that even without the use of glitches to skip levels (and just suicides to skip parts of levels), this is going so fast. Not what I expected when I saw Descent on the schedule, but it's just as awesome as I hoped.

Sesha

Reading a bunch of stuff about Descent now. Soft Bank published the PS1 version, how random.

A friend of mine watching the stream was surprised that Descent could be well-received, but for 94, I get it. Gameplay is simple but solid and although the environments are ZZZzzzz, it's a solid game for the time.

I wasn't paying attention, why is he over the estimate?

Descent doesn't seem to have any known glitches a runner can take advantage of, and the behavior of the enemies (and what they drop) is somewhat random. So basically, you can have a string of bad luck that either kills you (forcing a quickload) or makes something take longer than expected, with very few ways of making up time. Spooty had at least two big ones I remember: the level 15? reactor where he kept getting crushed by red hulks before he could escape, and the final boss that spawned enough enemies to block most of his mega missiles, meaning he had to kill it using mostly quad lasers and random missiles.

Top Bottom