• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

tci

Not much to do about YT situation, as GDQ have banned anyone from uploading from their stream. There might be some that still try, but I guess those might be hard to find.

Hah, I hear ya on that. That ladder glitch to get back to the first boss and then the knight going down in 5 hits, my jaw has already dropped lol.

I actually killed the stream a few min in once i realized how he was beating the game. I mean i love stuff that breaks the game... but i guess i was expecting a more "legit" run. Killing a boss that gave me trouble by standing still and hitting him four times with an op weapon isn't super impressive.

Not trying to discredit his run either, just not what I wanted to see.

VRMN

I actually killed the stream a few min in once i realized how he was beating the game. I mean i love stuff that breaks the game... but i guess i was expecting a more "legit" run. Killing a boss that gave me trouble by standing still and hitting him four times with an op weapon isn't super impressive.

Not trying to discredit his run either, just not what I wanted to see.
Yeah. A lot of games have a bunch of different categories and it's not always clear what you're going to get. Very, very few speed runs don't use trickery of some sort though; it's all about getting through it as fast as possible within the restraints of the category. If it's not explicitly "glitchless," they're probably going to exploit glitches. Nevermind haggling over what constitutes a glitch, of course, since that's sometimes nebulous.

Vortex566

Yeah. A lot of games have a bunch of different categories and it's not always clear what you're going to get. Very, very few speed runs don't use trickery of some sort though; it's all about getting through it as fast as possible within the restraints of the category. If it's not explicitly "glitchless," they're probably going to exploit glitches. Nevermind haggling over what constitutes a glitch, of course, since that's sometimes nebulous.

I always think Resident Evil speed runs require a lot of skill. They often don't rely on glitches.

The Bioshock run I watched a few months ago last time this was going was legit. The guy was launching himself with cardboard boxes.

Famassu

Glad salt was good, the runner was apparently shitting on the game after signing up for it months ago.
Hmm? In the stream he sounded fairly positive about it. Said something like "this is my favorite Souls-clone" or "I think this is the best Souls-clone"

VRMN

I always think Resident Evil speed runs require a lot of skill. They often don't rely on glitches.
The idea that executing a glitch with precision doesn't require skill is a fallacy. Not saying you're trying to imply that, but that post can read that way. Glitches and other skips are shortcuts on time, but not often on ability.

Coonce

Any off stage drama this or failed runs yet?

I'll sum it up -

guy brings "maga" hat into agdq, friend pulls it out during game stream while sitting on couch.

guy and guy's friend get banned from show, even though rules state "no political anything on stream" or something like that. guy complains about it on twitter.

For added context, he was already on thin ice for vaguely joking about a mass shooting at last agdq.

oh yeah, the guy is a real class act, awful shit posted on his twitter he doesn't even deserve the attention.

Nairume

Banned
I'll sum it up -

guy brings "maga" hat into agdq, friend pulls it out during game stream while sitting on couch.

guy and guy's friend get banned from show, even though rules state "no political anything on stream" or something like that. guy complains about it on twitter.
For added context, he was already on thin ice for vaguely joking about a mass shooting at last agdq.

I'll sum it up -

oh yeah, the guy is a real class act, awful shit posted on his twitter he doesn't even deserve the attention.

That's disgusting. Someone really needs to teach that idiot how to behave.

Voras

I watched the MGS 2 European Extreme run last night and that Ray fight was insane. Makes me glad I never did a EE run of MGS 2 like I did for MGS 3.

antibolo

Banned
Running GDQ must be stressful as hell. On one hand, you need to enforce strict rules because a charity event needs to keep some level of clean, neutral image, and on the other hand you get sociopathic jerks shitting on you because of said strict rules. It's a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation.

And all of this without pay!

Kudos to them.

Running GDQ must be stressful as hell. On one hand, you need to enforce strict rules because a charity event needs to keep some level of clean, neutral image, and on the other hand you get sociopathic jerks shitting on you because of said strict rules. It's a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation.

And all of this without pay!

Kudos to them.

But GDQ partnered with the Prevent Cancer foundation. I'm pretty sure the people running the event are getting payed

VRMN

Ah, I could be wrong about that part.

Still, my praise for them remains.
I'm not sure on this, but they probably are like any other non profit charity, where they pay administrative staff and for costs like the venue. Possibly travel and lodging costs for streamers. This is paid for by their sponsors, not donations, I believe.

I'm not sure on this, but they probably are like any other non profit charity, where they pay administrative staff and for costs like the venue. Possibly travel and lodging costs for streamers. This is paid for by their sponsors, not donations, I believe.
Bawkbasoup was mentioning how pricey it is for him to fly down for his run and was planning on staying down for as little as possible. I believe he his flying out the day before, no sleep, and going home the day after his run. I just caught him saying it last week, I might have heard wrong tho.

VRMN

Bawkbasoup was mentioning how pricey it is for him to fly down for his run and was planning on staying down for as little as possible. I believe he his flying out the day before, no sleep, and going home the day after his run. I just caught him saying it last week, I might have heard wrong tho.
Yeah, that's why I said possibly on reimbursing runners. Administrative costs are unavoidable, though. People to do the planning and scheduling and organizing. Those people get paid because it's a full time job to manage huge events like these twice a year.

antibolo

Banned
I do wonder how much it cost to run an event like this. I would imagine that Twitch help with some of the costs?

Twitch is one of their sponsors, yes.

Renting the venue alone must be insanely expensive, a ballroom for an entire week is no joke. I assume most other events being held at this kind of place usually aren't that long.

Top Bottom