• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

VRMN

To clarify, runners are not reimbursed, the only benefit is not having to pay the $50-$70 attendance/venue fee.
That's kind of sad, but it is a charity event and one can argue exposure is a big deal to people who make a living off of Twitch streams. I'd like for them to be able to reimburse them for the expense of coming, but that's obviously dictated by their budget and a desire by all involved to get the most possible to PCF.

Vibranium

Banned
This run is alot better than RE0, it helps that the streamer doesn't sound as bored as Pessimism was

Yeah, Carcinogen pretty much saved that run as best as he could (still wasn't great as he was not playing). Pessismism sounded tired and bored. He didn't even understand the RE5 reference from one of the donaters, "Complete Global Saturation". Hopefully GDQ let Carci back in next time.

The Silent Hill run was awesome. I love seeing the tricks. Cool guy too.

That's kind of sad, but it is a charity event and one can argue exposure is a big deal to people who make a living off of Twitch streams. I'd like for them to be able to reimburse them for the expense of coming, but that's obviously dictated by their budget and a desire by all involved to get the most possible to PCF.

Every dollar compensating a runner is a dollar less going to charity. No runner is being mislead or lead to believe there is compensation. They are doing this for the charity and for the love of their hobby. Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.

I assume this program still works:
http://docs.livestreamer.io/

There was a website that you would just link the stream and it would give you the source url in whatever quality you wanted for use in a media player program that I was using for past years that I liked though. Didn't want to get into livestreamer since it takes more setup and stuff to work, but guess will have to if I want to run the same setup this year.

VRMN

Every dollar compensating a runner is a dollar less going to charity. No runner is being mislead or lead to believe there is compensation. They are doing this for the charity and for the love of their hobby. Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.
Yep. I don't mean to imply otherwise and that's why I ended with saying everyone wants as much money as possible going to PCF.

Aevis

Neo Member
There was a website that you would just link the stream and it would give you the source url in whatever quality you wanted for use in a media player program that I was using for past years that I liked though. Didn't want to get into livestreamer since it takes more setup and stuff to work, but guess will have to if I want to run the same setup this year.

I can highly recommend Streamlink Twitch GUI. It's a GUI for livestreamer/streamlink, which makes navigating and using Twitch in conjunction with livestreamer very easy. No manual setup for livestreamer required, aside from setting the correct path within the GUI's settings.

Is the fisherman Ash Ketchum or something? Like each time a big fish is in frame a Tauros comes out of nowhere and takes the bite.

edit: I mean that from an unlucky standpoint. Really entertaining run.

echofive

Neo Member
Yeah that (Sega Bass Fishing) was amazing. Real fun AGDQ so far. Only one run I didn't like because I thought the guy was a tard.

Excited to see the rest of it.

NeoGC

Neo Member
Nothing quite like a GDQ to remind me how truly nefarious Twitch chat is.

It's honestly quite impressive how bad the chat is, year after year. And even ebtertaining, at times.

The chat, as bad as they are, have some truly fantastic reactions to certain moments.

It's honestly quite impressive how bad the chat is, year after year. And even ebtertaining, at times.

The chat, as bad as they are, have some truly fantastic reactions to certain moments.

come hang out in the Neogaf chat :>

NeoGC

Neo Member
I'm fairly sure that even though they say that all of the money goes to charity, the charity still pays AGDQ crew back from that money, plus like you said Twitch also puts in money for it.

Discord gaf group? Send me a link for it too.

Seconded! PM me a Discord chat invite :)

Yushi

So happy work is so slow and i just end up watching it on my phone. Love this event, even if it can get boring at times.

Xeteh

I don't know if there's a discord going but there's a twitch chat channel for GAF if you want an invite.

I'm willing to bet a lot of these guys running it just see it as a sort of convention, they get to go and hang out with friends/meet people from their communities. I'm sure several of the active streamers also get donations to cover their travel costs.

Beefwheat

Rocket isn't doing a lot for me, so I've got the stream on mute while I study. Umuted for a moment to hear someone deadpan "I lava this level". Volume back down, I'm out

Dreavus

Yeah, for the most part I'd say it's entertaining to leave it on during a game/run. Anything outside of that is a garbage fire though (interviews, crowd shots between games, etc). It really is a bizarre no-filter thing that oscillates between "completely worthless" and "actually pretty funny".

Top Bottom