• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

It's a dry humor. I think it's pretty funny.

I get it, it's just falling really flat for me. It's gotta be that the guy is sick, because every once and a while I double take and realize something he said or did was pretty funny, and then the rest of the time I'm just like dude, you sound like a jerk who doesn't even care about what he's doing.

There's a line you walk with being so dry, and one of the risks is coming off as boring and uninterested. It's a shame because this run is so exciting, but the runner is making it seem so boring.

Auctopus

Wish there was a crowd, feel like there isn't one.

It's felt like that at nearly every time of day this year. In previous years, it felt like everyone supported everyone else but this year, it feels like people only show up for their runs then leave or only turn up for the big games that get run every year.

I get it, it's just falling really flat for me. It's gotta be that the guy is sick, because every once and a while I double take and realize something he said or did was pretty funny, and then the rest of the time I'm just like dude, you sound like a jerk who doesn't even care about what he's doing.

There's a line you walk with being so dry, and one of the risks is coming off as boring and uninterested. It's a shame because this run is so exciting, but the runner is making it seem so boring.

Yeah. I find it funny. It doesn't help with the crowd though.

It's felt like that at nearly every time of day this year. In previous years, it felt like everyone supported everyone else but this year, it feels like people only show up for their runs then leave or only turn up for the big games that get run every year.

I think part of the problem is that this year they don't have fan-favorites spread out throughout the day enough. Many favorites are inexplicably missing, some entire days in the schedule are devoid of the games that bring people in, and then at other times you have blocks that should draw big crowds being put in completely bizarre time slots.

This run should've been earlier in the day, and the Castlevania block should have been here. You put this run before Symphony of the Night and people would be in the room watching right now because they're waiting for the Castlevania block. As if the Castlevania block's placement wasn't bad enough, they didn't even announce SotN in the schedule (it was a secret).

Like...seriously who did the schedule this year? It's so disappointing. Thankfully it's not effecting donations, since that's what's most important.

EDIT: I just looked again and realized Awful Games Done Quick is happening after this and running through the middle of the night. Are you kidding me? Those are the games that are usually the most broken open with hilarious runs and interesting bug explanations. There's even a Donkey Kong romhack of some kind and it's being run at 4am EST.

Yeah, somebody done fucked up with this schedule.

FINALLY SOME CLAPPING
I think part of the problem is that this year they don't have fan-favorites spread out throughout the day enough. Many favorites are inexplicably missing, some entire days in the schedule are devoid of the games that bring people in, and then at other times you have blocks that should draw big crowds being put in completely bizarre time slots.

This run should've been earlier in the day, and the Castlevania block should have been here. You put this run before Symphony of the Night and people would be in the room watching right now because they're waiting for the Castlevania block. As if the Castlevania block's placement wasn't bad enough, they didn't even announce SotN in the schedule (it was a secret).

Like...seriously who did the schedule this year? It's so disappointing. Thankfully it's not effecting donations, since that's what's most important.
yep. im still baffled by the sotn thing. ridiculous.

dreams

I agree. It feels like they're maybe experimenting with scheduling this year, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It does seem like they packed Friday and Saturday with good stuff, but things should definitely should have been spread out more.

One thing you're wrong about though is the SotN run. It wasn't a secret - it was a donation incentive. They didn't do the best job advertising it existed, which is the problem.

Overall, though, I do like that they've let a bigger variety of games in this year. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully they'll just learn from it.

EDIT: I just looked again and realized Awful Games Done Quick is happening after this and running through the middle of the night. Are you kidding me? Those are the games that are usually the most broken open with hilarious runs and interesting bug explanations. There's even a Donkey Kong romhack of some kind and it's being run at 4am EST.

Yeah, somebody done fucked up with this schedule.

Awful GDQ is almost always graveyard shift. I'm guessing mostly because it is very hit or miss.

the whole awful games scheduling being awful is real. i really wanted to watch peaches playing Catechumen, but at 6am for me, i just cant do it.

One thing you're wrong about though is the SotN run. It wasn't a secret - it was a donation incentive. They didn't do the best job advertising it existed, which is the problem.

It was in the schedule as a Setup Block. I guess if it was a donation incentive I didn't see it anywhere. I just *happened* to tune in and it was starting.

They don't even have a single SM64 run this year, which is utterly baffling. I live for that shit.

Seriously, it's unbelievable. None of the beloved final RPGs either. Undertale. It hasn't been run before, it's kind of a new game still, and it's the finale. No Mario Maker after it being such an outrageously hype event. Like I said earlier in the thread no spectacle events like blindfolded Punch Out or two-players-one-controller Super Metroid.

Just, damn dude. Spread the fan favorites out throughout the week and add new games in every day before and after them to give new games some spotlight. Don't completely eliminate staples of speedrunning entirely.

Sober

On the tangent of speedruns and Arkham City, look up video guides for the challenge predator rooms in AC. Like literally rooms are cleared in mere moments with all the objectives done.

I still can't do most of the Catwoman predator rooms :(

It was, I really enjoyed that run. 3d being there doesn't really bother me, I was just pointing out it replacing Ocarina as just another oddity.
oh yeah. just saying that while being an oddity, and removing a beloved game, at least it payed off.
but i totally agree with you. scheduling could've been a lot better.

dreams

It was in the schedule as a Setup Block. I guess if it was a donation incentive I didn't see it anywhere. I just *happened* to tune in and it was starting.

TkB1p0e.png

Bottom of the incentives list. I get complaining about stuff but acting like it was some conspiracy is silly.

TkB1p0e.png

Bottom of the incentives list. I get complaining about stuff but acting like it was some conspiracy is silly.

Who is acting like it's a conspiracy? What conclusions are you jumping to?

I....I just said it was dumb that it wasn't made obvious, or actually placed in the visual schedule, and that the entire placement of the Castlevania block was poor.

I'm not acting like anythings a conspiracy, I'm acting like the schedule plan was exceptionally poor in my opinion.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It was weird that the crowd was so quiet, but at one point he said that the guys on the couch weren't even mic'd. Why? Who knows. But it was a cool run.

...and Batman's got a hell of a heinie.

Rpgmonkey

This is a fun watch, lol.

Partly because I totally forgot about this game, and partly because the runners are making this game look hilarious and kinda trashing it the whole way through.

Luigi87

Yeah I like that they kind of trash on it in a positive way, rather than just complaining about the game like the Super Monkey Ball Adventure run.

Top Bottom