• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Revven

Coming up is wind waker HD, don't know how that differs from my old favourite speedrun game wind waker which I watched on Cosmo's (now narcissa, haven't watched her since she quit playing wind waker) channel a few times every week.

It differs pretty greatly from the original because it has its own tech as a lot of the tech in the original was patched out. But the community found new ways to do some (not all?) old stuff and even found a bunch of new stuff you can't do in the original. IIRC, the run is about on-par in terms of time as the original now? If not, even faster because of the QoL changes Nintendo did with the game that benefitted speedrunning.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything lol. I haven't watched a WWHD run in quite awhile.

Shouta

They probably picked this one for DS3 because it's the fastest run or it was the only one that was submitted. Don't really know but that makes the most sense considering this is a speedrun. An all bosses run would have been nice but eh, whatever.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
wind waker HD is the only zelda game i've played to completion and it's also one of my favorite games ever, super excited for this next run

Jhoan

Sweet Jesus! He's only 22?! I would have thought he was in his late twenties. He looks a bit like David Hayter. I like that he addressed the elephant in the room in the speech and told peeps to watch runs done legit from the top players. The Twitch chat kept calling him a cheater. Coming from the previous two blocks, a good deal of hype died down but the speech at the end was cool.

NotLiquid

Unless Wind Waker goes heavily under estimate I worry I'll miss the Super Metroid run this year, Dark Souls 3 technical difficulties kind of screwed the schedule for me ):

yuraya

The problem with Souls speedruns is that the best runs on record required dozens upon dozens upon hundreds of resets. Lots of frustration and luck. Even the best runners and pros have shit days. Sometimes so shit they quit on one Souls game and do another instead that day. Or quit all together. Everything has to go your way in order to really shine in these type of marathon events.

Glitches only add on to all the madness and stack so much bs chances against you. The chances of anyone setting WR Souls run in an event like this are slim to none. And even more scary is that when you screw up there isn't some casual safe approach you can take. Its still Dark Souls. The games are designed in such a hardcore brutal way its just not made for these type of events.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The problem with Souls speedruns is that the best runs on record required dozens upon dozens upon hundreds of resets. Lots of frustration and luck. Even the best runners and pros have shit days. Sometimes so shit they quit on one Souls game and do another instead that day. Or quit all together. Everything has to go your way in order to really shine in these type of marathon events.

Glitches only add on to all the madness and stack so much bs chances against you. The chances of anyone setting WR Souls run in an event like this are slim to none. And even more scary is that when you screw up there isn't some casual safe approach you can take. Its still Dark Souls. The games are designed in such a hardcore brutal way its just not made for these type of events.

Depends on the run and the game TBH, most resets comes from not getting a good split, for a demonstration run for GDQ I don't think that would be much of an issue.

jblank83

Can someone paraphrase his speech here?

He mentioned that he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma at the age of 17. He was blasted with radiation at Boston Children's Hospital. It went into remission but it came back at age 19. When he got out of the hospital again at that time, he watched AGDQ 2013 and a Dark Souls 1 run.

He decided "that's what I'm going to do." It gave him inspiration and a goal when he was dealing with something really difficult.

Something like that.

dreams

Unless Wind Waker goes heavily under estimate I worry I'll miss the Super Metroid run this year, Dark Souls 3 technical difficulties kind of screwed the schedule for me ):

Lol how? It was under estimate so it didn't impact the schedule except to bring things up, not push them back.

BasicMath

1.4 million damn, is it usually been that high in previous years? Seems like it went up a ton from yesterday
The last day is always huge. I don't think it's ever been this big though. I think we're at 400k for a single day and looking to add another 200-300k at least depending on how Wind Waker does. Metroid alone is going to be a huge chunk and god knows what Undertale will bring.

convo

They probably picked this one for DS3 because it's the fastest run or it was the only one that was submitted. Don't really know but that makes the most sense considering this is a speedrun. An all bosses run would have been nice but eh, whatever.

An all bosses run would be about trying not to die at all instead of jumping fences and stuff but that is more of a challenge run more than anything. Some funny mods that make the game run at twice the speed was one of my favorite gimmick runs for Souls games but i don't know how much merit something like that has here other than being the least serious run of the event.

He mentioned that he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma at the age of 17. He was blasted with radiation at Boston Children's Hospital. It went into remission but it came back at age 19. When he got out of the hospital again at that time, he watched AGDQ 2013 and a Dark Souls 1 run.

He decided "that's what I'm going to do." It gave him inspiration and a goal when he was dealing with something really difficult.

Something like that.

Yes, he also said that he hopes someone in the future watching his run would be inspired as well to speedrun Dark souls 7 or whatever haha.

Gotta save 30 minutes on DS3 so Wind Waker can bore us for four hours.

Giochi Eccezionali Finiti Velocemente.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Yo this Swedish guy has much better English than me, I got to GIT GUD.

Also I really should start running Zelda games as I love all the Zelda runs I've watched throughout the last few years. Might jump in on Breath of the wild as that sounds like an interesting time to be in on it from the beginning and really seing the strats change throughout.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Also I really should start running Zelda games as I love all the Zelda runs I've watched throughout the last few years.

windwaker is a little unfinished towards the end but both versions are gorgeous and it's a really fun game

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
windwaker is a little unfinished towards the end but both versions are gorgeous and it's a really fun game

Haha, yeah I know. I sadly has sold and given away most of it at the moment but I used to own all Zelda games but 2-3 of them(Oracle of ages and seasons + Zelda spirit tracks.)

Zelda wind waker is together with minish cap and the gen 3 pokemon the most influencial games for me from my childhood.

Charamiwa

Banned

Also I really should start running Zelda games as I love all the Zelda runs I've watched throughout the last few years. Might jump in on Breath of the wild as that sounds like an interesting time to be in on it from the beginning and really seing the strats change throughout.

I'm looking forward to the speedrunning scene of Breath of the Wild almost as much as the game itself at this point lol. The game seems tailor made for routing and strats, with the open world and the physics. It's gonna be awesome to follow all this.

Anoxida

That kid is swedish. Accent game is strong.

He was noticeably nervous first 10-15 min. I was worried spike would spend the entire run to try and keep him talking but his commentating is great now.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm looking forward to the speedrunning scene of Breath of the Wild almost as much as the game itself at this point lol. The game seems tailor made for routing and strats, with the open world and the physics. It's gonna be awesome to follow all this.

Yeah, it'll be really cool to see how it plays out. Will for sure join the forums/discord servers for both routing and running and hope I'll get caught up in it.

I know this is premature to ask for me, but what capturecard is used for consoles now-a-days?
I'd like to know if it's out of my budget to start streaming on first month.

Tukker

That kid is swedish. Accent game is strong.

He was noticeably nervous first 10-15 min. I was worried spike would spend the entire run to try and keep him talking but his commentating is great now.
I can imagine someone being nervous when they speak in front of 200k ppl heh

Top Bottom