• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Jhoan

The banter/flirting going on with the announcer is hilarious. This run is quite something. Spike doing pushups is driving up the donations. 1.6 million dollar reached. I'm pretty sure it'll hit 2 million by the time Undertale rolls around if not before that.

2mil is probably a bit of a stretch considering the time left, but I can see it getting pretty close. Then again I suppose I may be underestimating how fucking crazy people go over dem animals, especially in the heat of the Super Metroid run.

I do wonder if they'll pull what they did at SGDQ and add a "bonus run if the total gets past [X]" incentive at the last minute. Though that probably worked better then as the finale was a much longer game.

They could have never gotten away with that final take down of Ganondorf if this game didn't have a cute cartoon style.

It's basically the most brutal assassination of Ganondorf in the series.

Wind Waker finale will always be awesome.

Will watch Super Metroid race but then bail so I don't get Undertale spoiled for me. Would like to play it one day so it's probably best to skip a speedrun.

Desperado

They could have never gotten away with that final take down of Ganondorf if this game didn't have a cute cartoon style.

I've never finished WW so I didn't know this happens! Holy crap. Can't wait to see how they handle the confrontation in BotW.

Aikidoka

Gawd, I really want to be able to play WW and TP again. It's been like over a decade. Hope the Switch gets a nice port.

Also, I don't see the option to donate toward fighting Sans in Undertale? Just how to treat the Pacifist boss and name of the Chara. Am i missing something?

jb1234

Yeah, that was fucking brutal, for sure. Like others, I didn't remember it went down that way. Damn.

Trojan

So cool this event is growing and donating so much to a great cause. I've only started to get into the last couple years and everything about the event seems super genuine.

Crayolan

disgusting

2mil is probably a bit of a stretch considering the time left, but I can see it getting pretty close. Then again I suppose I may be underestimating how fucking crazy people go over dem animals, especially in the heat of the Super Metroid run.

I do wonder if they'll pull what they did at SGDQ and add a "bonus run if the total gets past [X]" incentive at the last minute. Though that probably worked better then as the finale was a much longer game.

They have the undertale genocide final boss as an incentive (already met) after the main run. If they really wanted, they could expand it to an entire genocide run.

It's pretty crazy in retrospect, but it makes for a really satisfying end, especially when you see Link's face and even he's surprised at what he just did.

BasicMath

What happened with the WW run that made donators go HAM??
They've been crazy all day. I think they were actually slow during WW compared to Dark Souls/Super Dram World/TasBot.

If you want a culprit no matter what: I'd say that Namco giveaway caused a lot of donations to pour in. A lot of $125 donations started dropping in since they started promoting it and I don't think it's stopped.

Namco giveaway?
Dark Souls/Namco stuff raffle. I think some of it is on screen. It's $125 to get in.

Crayolan

"Undertale is easy to speedrun"
"took 70 tries to beat finale genocide boss"

The genocide run bosses are very difficult your first time, but not so hard that you can't make them consistent with practice. By speedrun standards, that's pretty good.

Namco giveaway?

If you donate $125 you're entered in a raffle to win a DBZ game, a Sword Art Online game, Dark Souls 3, Tales of Zestiria, and a handful of other small things related to those games. That bundle was provided to GDQ by Bandai-Namco.

As soon as they announced that bundle donations skyrocketed.

Aikidoka

Well the speedrun probably doesn't include that boss

Well he does both the Genocide run and True Pacifist run, but sure only the genocide run involves killing sans.

The genocide run bosses are very difficult your first time, but not so hard that you can't make them consistent with practice. By speedrun standards, that's pretty good.

Fair enough. The boss fight has zero RNG (i think). I'm obviously not a speedrunner, but I'd think that being consistent for those quite long and arduous is harder than something like Bloodborne where A.I. is easy to bait consistently.

I think he deadnamed/misgendered her a couple of times, but I doubt it was malicious/intentional- it's more likely he forgot and/or straight-up wasn't aware that Cosmo was now Narcissa, since I gathered that most of Narcissa's work in the WW scene was done back when she was Cosmo.

Wait, is that the thing that happened today? I thought it would be something a lot worse considering the stuff I've seen on twitter today.

Edit: Not trying to downplay misgendering in any way, but it sounded a lot worse based on how people were reacting, not the unintentional situation like mentioned above

ScribbleD

They're almost definitely going to hit 1.9. If they count outside sources like Yetee sales and Twitch matching (are they still doing these things this year?) that could put them over 2 million. Either way, by far the most successful AGDQ ever this year. Well deserved. I feel like this has been my favorite year to watch since I started back in in 2012. Superb marathon this year.

PpuvPKA.gif

No thank you for that

Top Bottom