• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

jett

D-Member
we did it reddit!

giphy.gif

Aeana

Apparently all of the donations killed the tracker so they can't get the name for the character so they can't start the game.

It's a lot like Komen in the way that they don't really do much in terms of donating for cancer research, but to "prevention" and "education" which are more buzzwords than things they actually put a ton of time into. A lot of their actual efforts have been laughable, like having a giant inflatable colon shouting at people on college campuses. A disproprotionate amount of their money goes to their own salaries. PCF is a bit better than Komen in this regard as Komen is basically just a marketing scam at this point, but there are still MUCH better charities than PCF.

If you see the words "prevention" or "education" as the main goals of a charity, they probably are scummy, or at least should be further researched into. They aren't that useful for society.
Oh... that makes me a bit less excited about the counter going up so much

Rutger

Banned
I'm surprised they were able to reach 2 mil this year, very impressive.

I'm looking forward to seeing how an Undertale speedrun works.

Trojan

I feel like I'm missing out because I played Undertale to Undyne, wasn't feeling it, and stopped. I respect what the game does but I think it's just not for me.

dreams

It's a lot like Komen in the way that they don't really do much in terms of donating for cancer research, but to "prevention" and "education" which are more buzzwords than things they actually put a ton of time into. A lot of their actual efforts have been laughable, like having a giant inflatable colon shouting at people on college campuses. A disproprotionate amount of their money goes to their own salaries. PCF is a bit better than Komen in this regard as Komen is basically just a marketing scam at this point, but there are still MUCH better charities than PCF.

If you see the words "prevention" or "education" as the main goals of a charity, they probably are scummy, or at least should be further researched into. They aren't that useful for society.

I mean, not really in regards to half the shit you said. They do fund research, so I don't know where you heard they don't? It also has a 4 star ranking on charity navigator. But this meme continues.

ScribbleD

That's a good rule of thumb with the exception, I would say, of mental health charities where education and advocacy are huge things because of the social stigma surrounding mental health disorders. Again, though, as a rule of thumb I would agree with that part.

Charity Navigator and Guide Star are good resources if you want to peruse what a particular charity is spending its money on and you don't want to drill down into their form 990s. Both sites give breakdowns on what percentage of charitable earnings go towards things like their stated goals, and what percentage goes towards administrative fees and the like.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
That's a good rule of thumb with the exception, I would say, of mental health charities where education and advocacy are huge things because of the social stigma surrounding mental health disorders. Again, though, as a rule of thumb I would agree with that part.

Charity Navigator and Guide Star are good resources if you want to peruse what a particular charity is spending its money on and you don't want to drill down into their form 990s. Both sites give breakdowns on what percentage of charitable earnings go towards things like their stated goals, and what percentage goes towards administrative fees and the like.

by charity navigator it's actually good

now i feel better

Top Bottom