• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

SerTapTap

Does the game warn you when you reach the point of no return, in case I want to 100% it before beating it the first time?

Or is that a misguided goal for any reason?

It's a Metroidvania, there are no missables. The point of "no return" should be pretty obvious IMO, but it means little as you can just load up your save and return at any time. To be specific about the point of no return
Actually fighting the final boss is the only point of no return, and you can still save and quit out of that and run back around like nothing happened.

The only possible missable content is trophies, things like the speedrun, no deaths and (optional content spoilers):
there are two trophies for doing specific missable things with no ingame reward, and there's a glitch all enemies trophy and I can't tell if it's missable or not, but I don't believe so

Chitown B

His work significantly accelerated after he quit his job due to Pub Fund. Shouldn't take 5 years this time, alone or not. I kinda hope he does it solo again, or hires someone only for testing or graphics. Music and gameplay must be untouched.

There are places to explore there even if you can't get past the big glitches.
Try entering from a different side if you can't get in from Kur.
Much more specific hint:
Look above the big glitch that blocks your rightward progress when starting from the left or from Indi

I got in through the other side already but also could not move forward that way. Maybe I missed something.

Philthy

His work significantly accelerated after he quit his job due to Pub Fund. Shouldn't take 5 years this time, alone or not. I kinda hope he does it solo again, or hires someone only for testing or graphics. Music and gameplay must be untouched.

Music is fantastic and he could do that on his own. I wouldn't be against him having someone like Chris Huelsbeck chipping in tho!

Ambitious

Some of the optional collectibles (health upgrade, damage upgrade, ...) are pretty hard to find. I must have missed loads of them already. Will I be able to obtain some kind of radar, map or checklist later in the game?

SerTapTap

I got in through the other side already but also could not move forward that way. Maybe I missed something.
Direct progress spoilers
immediately to the right of the Indi exit, teledash over the laser wall above the big glitch to your right and keep going

Some of the optional collectibles (health upgrade, damage upgrade, ...) are pretty hard to find. I must have missed loads of them already. Will I be able to obtain some kind of radar, map or checklist later in the game?

I spent last night just backtracking after I found the
grappling hook..
..I found all kinds of stuff just trying to work my way back to the beginning...

I just looked at the map for each level, you can see areas that you haven't completed cause they will not have the solid line/ border around the room.... I went to each room and completed the map, sometimes I had to
shoot my droid at the ceilings
to completely fill in the map for a room.... Just that hitting the ceiling would fill in the dark borders for the room on the map...

Many rooms that have secret areas will not have the completed bold borders around the room on the map until you have entered the secret areas... That was one way I could tell there was a secret area I had missed..

I would also jump high in each save room, each save room is two blocks high... If you don't jump real high in them, you won't complete the 2 blocks on the map...

SerTapTap

BTW there is nothing hidden in save rooms beyond getting map completion. I don't consider that a spoiler because making you drill every wall in them would be just mean.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm at 64% or so for map completion and around 75% items. Gotta beat the
hornet
boss, which was kicking my ass last night. I need to mess around with some different guns tonight.

Fjordson

BTW there is nothing hidden in save rooms beyond getting map completion. I don't consider that a spoiler because making you drill every wall in them would be just mean.
Oh wow thank you.

I'm loving the game so far, but I always have a bad habit of worrying too much about possible missed items. Like I just unlocked a third area, but I only have four weapons (including the first one). But I guess half the point of these games is going back and uncovering previously unreachable areas.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Are there any other obvious NES game references and influences other than Metroid and
Bionic Commando
?

SerTapTap

I'm at 64% or so for map completion and around 75% items. Gotta beat the
hornet
boss, which was kicking my ass last night. I need to mess around with some different guns tonight.

Gun makes a ton of difference in that fight, as I awkwardly learned in my low% fight. Best bets are
Shards and apparently lightning gun, haven't tested them out myself though. I just used Vornaj which is way too slow

Are there any other obvious NES game references and influences other than Metroid and
Bionic Commando
?

Contra is pretty apparent with the aiming method, there's also
a weapon functioning much like Rygar's Shield
and while not NES,
an enemy glitches into Missingno
.I also want to say the movement feels like Mega Man but really I guess it just feels like any well-done intertia-free NES platformer (there just aren't many of those IMO). I'm not the most avid NES enthusiast so I could be missing more.

What a difference playing through once has made. Flying through hard.

Hard doesn't show too much until certain areas, particularly bosses. And if you fight the bosses right with the right guns they can still be easy. Hard is hardly insurmountable but I wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough since exploring is more important than how many times you died to bosses.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gun makes a ton of difference in that fight, as I awkwardly learned in my low% fight. Best bets are
Shards and apparently lightning gun, haven't tested them out myself though. I just used Vornaj which is way too slow

I went back for some additional exploring and found the
lightning gun[/i] so I'll try that one tonight. I was having decent luck with the
Inertial Pulse since it passes through any parts of the boss blocking the weak spot
. I'll mess around with the other gun tonight.

FFFFFFUUUUU

Finally managed to beat Gir-Tab, then a few minutes later I died and the game crashed. Second time this happened, too.

PS4 version for those wondering.

Edit: Omg
Bionic Commando style grapple!
I'm going to cry. Aforementioned bug instantly forgiven.

It's a Metroidvania, there are no missables. The point of "no return" should be pretty obvious IMO, but it means little as you can just load up your save and return at any time.
Just warning you since I saw you mention having not started it but Ori's biggest sin is that there is stuff that's missable (map and items) and the point of no return, while obvious, is exactly that. And once you beat the game your save file is inaccessible. It's not deleted, you simply can't go back in.

Some extremely questionable design decisions for the style of game.

But really the wrong thread for it. If you want some more tips on how to not miss the missable stuff PM me and I can explain a bit more.

Going into this game I'll admit I was worried it would pull similar moves and I'm glad it doesn't. Though the randomized secret areas annoy me.

Kyuur

SirTapTap, you mentioned that you can skip
Grapple
but I'm not seeing any way to do that. Any chance you could point how to get to
Ukkin-Na
without it?

drotahorror

Doesn't make any sense. How is he accessing this secret area at 9min?

https://youtu.be/SDsXmLHak2I?t=9m2s

I'm right there but can't go through the wall. I've tried the coat, drilling it, shooting it etc. He goes right through it and I can't for some reason.

And where's the upgrade to the glitch gun?

Fjordson

Do you get upgrades for the glitch gun or something...? There are huge sections of walls that look all glitched out and are flickering, yet the gun does nothing on them (even though it makes a weird sound). Kinda weird.

Kyuur

Doesn't make any sense. How is he accessing this secret area at 9min?

https://youtu.be/SDsXmLHak2I?t=9m2s

I'm right there but can't go through the wall. I've tried the coat, drilling it, shooting it etc. He goes right through it and I can't for some reason.

And where's the upgrade to the glitch gun?

Secret areas appear in different places per playthrough unless you're doing speedrun mode.

Do you get upgrades for the glitch gun or something...? There are huge sections of walls that look all glitched out and are flickering, yet the gun does nothing on them (even though it makes a weird sound). Kinda weird.

Yes. The first upgrade is located in lower Kur. The second is in Edin.

Someone help me figure out how to make Metroid crawl

Just defeated
Ukhu (the hornet boss)
and I dun nuh where to go next. I wandered into
E-Kur-Mah
and almost felt like I wasn't supposed to be there yet until I got the
"find the key" cutscene, but where be key? I progressed through that area all the way to the blocks you can drill but couldn't find anything.
What do?

And there really should've been a fast travel for moments like this. Tom Happ pls

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I know this has been mentioned several times already, but I cannot understate just how good the music is. It's right up there with Hotline Miami 2 in my opinion.

hawk2025

I know this has been mentioned several times already, but I cannot understate just how good the music is. It's right up there with Hotline Miami 2 in my opinion.

I'm very surprised by the music.

Not just the quality, but straight up the variety between the tracks!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Someone help me figure out how to make Metroid crawl

Just defeated
Ukhu (the hornet boss)
and I dun nuh where to go next. I wandered into
E-Kur-Mah
and almost felt like I wasn't supposed to be there yet until I got the
"find the key" cutscene, but where be key? I progressed through that area all the way to the blocks you can drill but couldn't find anything.
What do?

And there really should've been a fast travel for moments like this. Tom Happ pls

I haven't been following the thread but got stuck and saw your post. I too just defeated the
hornet boss. I then found the ability that lets you warp to your drone. Is E-Kur-Mah that place to the top right of Kur? I can't find a way to get in there.
Anyways, I'm a little stuck after running around the map to squares that weren't filled in. Halp.

I haven't been following the thread but got stuck and saw your post. I too just defeated the
hornet boss. I then found the ability that lets you warp to your drone. Is E-Kur-Mah that place to the top right of Kur? I can't find a way to get in there.
Anyways, I'm a little stuck after running around the map to squares that weren't filled in. Halp.

Yeah
E-Kur-Mah is to the right of Kur. I got in there from the top using the drone teleport ability but couldn't figure out how to progress beyond that.
Someone also halp me

Qwell

So I'm stuck in an area of Kur shortly after getting the grappling hook, as in I can't even backtrack because there aren't any jumps I can make or grapple points I can get to that would allow me to reach another ledge. This happen to anyone else? Anyone want to game share with me and get out of this area, or should I just quit to title so I return to the last save I had?

UPDATE: finally got past it, had to do some tricky grapple magic to make it happen

SerTapTap

Don't agree with the fast travel suggestions. Especially if you don't know the significance of Indi.

Yeah
E-Kur-Mah is to the right of Kur. I got in there from the top using the drone teleport ability but couldn't figure out how to progress beyond that.
Someone also halp me

It's pretty straightforward...
did you look up? There are two major progression items there, you have to go up to get the key Elsenova mentions

I'm very surprised by the music.

Not just the quality, but straight up the variety between the tracks!

The music is amazing--not just the variety but how well it matches the environments it's in. Don't forget to grab that OST!

Nooo fast travel. It would totally ruin this.

It would even ruin speedrunning. Not saving is a major timesaver in certain times due to your death warp. Progression spoiler:
it even enables a certain sequence break

I wish someone had said that to Moon Studios while they were making ori :( :(

That's pretty annoying...properly handling item collection is a huge part of a metroidvania to me. I would rate this game lower if it did stupid shit like hide non-obvious stuff in save rooms or have missable crap required for 100%. The reason I trusted I was never stuck was because the game didn't exhibit any obvious flaws like that

SirTapTap, you mentioned that you can skip
Grapple
but I'm not seeing any way to do that. Any chance you could point how to get to
Ukkin-Na
without it?

I might have been wrong, but also right
You can get into Ukkin Na by save warping if you never save after Edin until getting the lab coat, but I thought I had gotten it and never used it--I think I am wrong though since it appears to be the way to get back to Eribu/Ukkin Na.

Finally managed to beat Gir-Tab, then a few minutes later I died and the game crashed. Second time this happened, too.

PS4 version for those wondering.

Rare bug, but it happens. Had it twice out of 30+ hours. Apparently it's PS4 only, not that any other version is out yet. Hopefully it gets fixed but it hasn't been yet (a few patches already happened during embargo)

edit: ok I just figured out you can
teleport UP
. WTF. this was not made clear.

Interesting thing to see all the things people don't try:
I found someone who didn't know they could shoot the drone up either. It was like the first thing I tried with the dash since you didn't have to be stationary anymore

Chitown B

Disagree. I want fast travel. Indi is not a good replacement. I would say at least give it after you reach the final save area.

bede-x

And I'm done. Not with 100% items or map, but with the first completion.
Got the peace trophy.

How are there so few pages in this thread? This is so mindblowingly awesome that everybody should be talking about it. Starts out good, Metroid good, and then it just keeps layering more and more on top of the formula, until it feels completely its own (in a Metroid skin). I love how the map is connected and the way it makes sense in how easy and fast it is to navigate, when you start realising which part of the map the white arrows point to. It doesn't need fast travel. I love the artwork, the music, the upgrades. Everything, aside from a few collision issues I mentioned earlier and a few rare bugs where you become stuck, is gaming perfection.

This is up there with Super Metroid and Symphony and if there's any justice in the world, this'll be a massive hit. Some years from now we'll hopefully get a sequel, but until then I'll settle for double dipping on Steam later to support the developer.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Indi is a good enough replacement for me.

Also, I didn't know you could hit triangle to break open your drone ball. That really helped getting where I needed to go!

So that's not just me being too soft. Was thinking the same thing last night.

Still in love with the game, but it would have been nice.

#SawftGamers breh. Sometimes you just want to take it easy and use a little fast travel. No shame. I respect having an "in universe" solution like Indi, but when you're lost, the trek to and fro feels so loooong

It's pretty straightforward...
did you look up? There are two major progression items there, you have to go up to get the key Elsenova mentions

wut. I'll check again later, but if this is one of those "psyching myself out" moments and the solution is staring me right in the face.....smh

SerTapTap

This is up there with Super Metroid and Symphony and if there's any justice in the world, this'll be a massive hit. Some years from now we'll hopefully get a sequel, but until then I'll settle for double dipping on Steam later to support the developer.

Thoroughly agreed, one of my favorite games ever honestly. I'm not too surprised or disappointed honestly, this is a decent showup for an indie game, especially one where a bunch of foolish people were complaining about the price pre-launch. I'm sure the Vita/PC launches will help too. A fair number of people on my Twitter, if not my PSN friends list, have been playing at least and my guide gets better traffic than expected (over 2000 views since yesterday, not bad since my site just launched and shouldn't have much standing in Google)

Indi is a good enough replacement for me.

Also, I didn't know you could hit triangle to
break open your drone ball
. That really helped getting where I needed to go!

Yeah, triangle to
hatch the drone
really helps. In fact I think some jumps aren't possible without it, but it helps you move so much freer.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
wut. I'll check again later, but if this is one of those "psyching myself out" moments and the solution is staring me right in the face.....smh

I'm in the same position as you now, having seemingly explored that entire area. I was able to find a
key to open some doors and a red lab coat.
Other than that, I continued to look 'up' but have found nothing.

EDIT: Found the next area. That took a bit of convoluted backtracking.

ThisOne

I just beat the fourth boss...got the
grappling hook
and
item that lets me shoot my drone further
. Is
E-Kur-Mah
the next area or do I need to backtrack somewhere else?

Philthy

Thoroughly agreed, one of my favorite games ever honestly. I'm not too surprised or disappointed honestly, this is a decent showup for an indie game, especially one where a bunch of foolish people were complaining about the price pre-launch.

Yeah, and it's one guy who has this much talent. I'm just kind of in awe over the whole thing really. When I think Metroid, this game will probably be the first thing that comes to mind now honestly. So good. So so good.

Stoze

Alright, I think I've hit a wall in my road to 100%. I'm at 99% map and 95% items, I've completed every area except the first and last areas (Eribu and Maru Uru I think they're called?).

If anyone can give me some vague hints, two areas I can't seem to pass are:

In the far left of Eribu, teleport through a room with a 3 block wall and those spore/sponge enemies, and then go up twice until there's a room with two robot enemies and a fire icon weapon trapped inside the terrain. Not sure how to get it.

The other area I can't quite remember where it is, but somewhere near the upper right of Maru Uru there's room with a wall of 4 pink laser things, and the red activator is unreachable.

I'm thinking I have to take a crack at guessing passwords to use on those areas, but otherwise I donno.

PaulloDEC

Quick question: Are there ever critical items in the
glitchy secret
areas? They seem pretty dang tough, and I'm not sure I want to be doing them just for tiny upgrade items.

EDIT: Actually, any hints going forward would be great too. I've still only killed three bosses. I've got the
lab coat, I'm up to six weapons, and I've recently got the Level 2 Address Disrupter, the Passcode Tool and the Remote Drone
. I'm at the point where you seemingly can't get back into the earlier zones without a more powerful jump (
that is, a jump more powerful than the upgraded jump
). I've found a greeny-blue outdoor area that leads to the left with impassable glitches and a rocky outdoor area towards the top of the map that I can't find any further ways to progress through.

Any help would be appreciated!

nynt9

Ugh, I'm super stuck. Killed the
failed clone
, have the
address bomb
but I can't go right in
Kur
, either from the very top room or the room a bit below and to the right of it. Everywhere else is about fully explored. Help!

Edit: ugh, I'm stuck at the
wasp
boss
edit2: I got it!

5:I don't recall the answer. I think there are always 2 items. Completing the map in those should be enough as long as you don't deliberately fail to take an item.
Well crap, I only got 1 item from the first one but 2 from the others. That despite filling in the map. Hrmmm...

Concerning the secret areas and their possible randomization, would someone like to check and see if they have this one?
On the ground between the left 2 doors in INDI is a spot you can sideways teleport into. You know you're close because the screen gets fuzzy.
Unless someone's already confirmed that the spots are/aren't random?

nynt9

Well crap, I only got 1 item from the first one but 2 from the others. That despite filling in the map. Hrmmm...

Concerning the secret areas and their possible randomization, would someone like to check and see if they have this one?
On the ground between the left 2 doors in INDI is a spot you can sideways teleport into. You know you're close because the screen gets fuzzy.
Unless someone's already confirmed that the spots are/aren't random?

I just checked this area to the best of my ability and didn't find anything.

bede-x

i don't think I have that one or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

These are the ones I have:

Stoze

I caved in and looked up the stuff in taptap's map to finish off my last 5%...

... and I kinda wish I hadn't. I think I would've found the rest this stuff had I done another patrol or two around the areas, with the exception of one incredibly absurd solution:

Glitching out the fast-shooting final robot enemies makes it so you can carry them to a different screen, which solves the 4 pink beam puzzle. The fact that the glitch gun already has a helpful effect on them makes it even more obtuse.

Everything else was cleverly and fairly hidden imo. Game has a distinct Fez influence in it (intentional or not), which was a really pleasant surprise.

i don't think I have that one or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

These are the ones I have:

YUP! Totally random! That's wild.

Edit: Okay since this thread has been super helpful (and I forgot I hadn't posted this information yet) I've got a weird mystery for ya'll to solve! Yes, this game is going FEZ levels of "wait, what?" Well, maybe. Just gonna spoiler the whole thing in case people want to discover this weirder stuff on their own.

I guessed a password but I don't know what it does.

AXIO**-****** The stars are wildcard, just putting AXIO at the start and trying to activate it will trigger a warning about trophies. http://i.imgur.com/odRvnLa.jpg I originally put in AXIOMS-VERGES then realized I could replace characters and whittled it down to AXIO. I'm using it on a backup save I have so I don't care but the thing is when I activate it, I cannot tell what's different about the game. Mind you I only looked around for a couple minutes, didn't try beating the game with it. If anyone else wants to confirm what this does, let me know. I almost think it's a bug with the game but it only warns me when I put it in like that. Let me know if any of you figure anything out related to this.

It's kinda cool knowing that there are gonna be passwords found that help you somehow cheat at the game, considering that message about trophies.

Top Bottom