• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Trump is pulling U.S. out of Paris climate deal

Fritz

Well, I don't have any contacts in Nashville, but I can search around. There might be a Organizing Protests for Dummies

Does Nashville have a Facebook presence? Do you have contacts elsewhere in the US to orchestrate something. I know it seems futile but we also agree that doing nothing is also no option

kaskade

I am told the pressure on @POTUS from Ivanka to stay in Paris has been intense.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/869890727861465088

Another decision that Ivanka tries to influence and nothing will happen.

You'd really think even seeing all this immediate backlash from all different sides would make him want to stick with it. It'd be an easy win for him and the pundits would be talking about how this is the day Trump became president.

Tigress

So, if it might take a few years to effectuate and all, and assuming Trump might finish his first term but won't get a second one, what keeps the 'next' President from just reversing all this?

Does it matter. We've just shown ourselves as unreliable.

X9lhD8U.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869903459511918592
This reads like HAIL HYDRA.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/869890727861465088

Another decision that Ivanka tries to influence and nothing will happen.

You'd really think even seeing all this immediate backlash from all different sides would make him want to stick with it. It'd be an easy win for him and the pundits would be talking about how this is the day Trump became president.

Steve Doocy isn't talking about it, so Trump don't give a fuck.

IaN_GAF

Man, it would be so interesting to have a new election just to see how many people, knowing what they do now, would still vote for Trump.

Not even to get someone else elected, just to see the results.

Mac_Lane

Dammit, America really fucked up big time. And now we'll all have to suffer the consequences.

I hope every country in the Paris agreement will put an eco-tax on all American products as punishment, we can't stand the shit pulled by the GOP anymore. Our planet's worth more than that.

Scipio

US Gov failing the world is bad, but there should be a lot a firms in the US investing in green energy. With the industrial world making the switch, even China, this decision of Trump will not stop the climate change movement.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man, it would be so interesting to have a new election just to see how many people, knowing what they do now, would still vote for Trump.

Not even to get someone else elected, just to see the results.

I doubt there would be much difference. Most people who voted for him are ignorant, uneducated, or just don't give a fuck about anything but themselves.

GhaleonEB

A fuckup that will have repercussions for generations. I lack the adjectives to describe what a shithole of a person we have as president. Fucking hell.

LifEndz

Dammit, America really fucked up big time. And now we'll all have to suffer the consequences.

I hope every country in the Paris agreement will put an eco-tax on all American products as punishment, we can't stand the shit pulled by the GOP anymore. Our planet's worth more than that.

Agreed. Our allies need to do something to make him regret this decision.

This is worse than what house of cards can come up with.

"Kids, let me tell you the tale about how the voting minority of our country set up a cascade of events that lead to our planets destruction..."

SilentRob

Fuck Donald Trump, fuck the USA, fuck the Republicans, fuck everyone who hasn't so far demonstrated in the streets against this fuckwit, fuck every single US citizen who voted for him, fuck every single US citizen who voted third party, fuck every single US citizen who didn't vote at all. Every one who is part of these groups is at fault for this and bears responsibility that we now live in an infinitely more unstable, dangerous world that is now even more probable to be destroyed than it already was. Sorry, I'm angry. And how in the fuck is it possible that there aren't riots in the streets in the US? How?

Hopefully Merken & Macron will make the US REALLY feel the consequences for this. Sanctions, stopped trade deals, whatever. All red lines have been crossed.

Nice job weakening the US's ability to make treaties

Fat chance any nation takes us seriously again next time there's a treaty.

Not really, there is a reason why this was an agreement and not a treaty. No one should be surprised when unilateral decisions not ratified by congress are reversed and because it is not a "treaty" it has no teeth and was nothing but a showpiece .

It's time for Europe, China, India, Japan, Korea, and Brazil to impose sanctions on the US. Target the fossil fuel industry specifically.

At some point America just needs to be treated as an enemy to the free world and punished in as many ways possible (financially, politically, etc.) until its people understand the consequences of their choices (or lack thereof).

Blader

Actually, I fear that this is a major motivation for this dick move, aka creating or bringing back jobs for his target demographic.

Well, of course it is. The problem is withdrawing from the Paris deal won't restore those jobs at all. It's not as if the decline of the coal industry started a year and a half ago.

It's time for Europe, China, India, Japan, Korea, and Brazil to impose sanctions on the US. Target the fossil fuel industry specifically.

The interesting thing is, most of the energy companies in the US are for the Paris deal.

Have people tried asking Trump 11 times to stay with the deal?

CTLance

Today, I am genuinely angry at the citizens of the USA.

All of them.

Not just the ones that voted for him, nor the orange turd himself, but every single one.

It's irrational, it's unfair, but I can't help it.

Fuck all of this.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Well, of course it is. The problem is withdrawing from the Paris deal won't restore those jobs at all. It's not as if the decline of the coal industry started a year and a half ago.

I know that, everybody with a sane mind knows that. Not so sure about the Trump supporters, though.

Its not about jobs its about $$$.

"The agreement requires rich nations to maintain a $100bn a year funding pledge " to help poorer nations .

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

All of them.

Not just the ones that voted for him, nor the orange turd himself, but every single one.

Fuck all of this.

yeah well not all of us wanted this piece of shit so get out of here with this shit.

All of them.

Fuck all of this.

Fuck you man. I didn't vote for this piece of shit.

The interesting thing is, most of the energy companies in the US are for the Paris deal.

Have people tried asking Trump 11 times to stay with the deal?

They still failed to convince him so sanctions are fair game. Tax every fossil fuel dollar that leaves the US. Make American coal, oil, and gas as uncompetitive as possible.

Skytylz

Banned
Prediction: he is trying to get us sanctioned and then he will use it as an excuse to lift sanctions on Russia. You know, because we need fair trading partners!

All of them.

Fuck all of this.

Some of us really REALLY fucking tried to stop this. I've been out nearly every other weekend at least protesting and marching for something that has been directly fucked because of this administration. Our country is in the stranglehold of not only the Right/Fox News propaganda machine, but apathy. People throwing up their hands and not giving a shit to the detriment of all.

All I can hope for is that Trump is excised from office as quickly as possible, whether it be for Russia or being voted out but I'm still terrified over the ever growing evil that is the right in our country.

mreddie

hqdefault.jpg

"It all started with a promise of a wall..."

Fuck him, GOP, every one who voted for him and every one who had a hand in him getting elected.

CTLance

But seriously, if this doesn't get you guys to scream at your local representatives and Trump supporters until their ears flatten against their empty skulls, I don't know what else to say.

Fritz

Meanwhile Macron met with Putin and Merkel met with India's Modi and the Prime Minister of China within the last couple of days.

There is something going on I tell you.

PieterJan

Neo Member
So, the pledges from the Paris agreement would lead to a temperature increase of around 3.3°C. The american pledges would mean a reduction with 0.1 to 0.3°C. So without the US we could get 3.6°C ... Either way that's still more than the "well below 2°C" pledge. So is this so much more disastrous for the world?

On the other side, it is ofcourse an open door for other countries to slow down their efforts, which could only make it worse. But maybe this could be an incentive to the rest of the world to up the efforts and really reach the 2°C mark?

Lastly, for the US'ers claiming that the states and cities are doing much more even without you federal government: we've seen Trump pulling tricks nobody would've allowed before, what would keep him from forcing states and cities to use coal or put taxes on green technology while subsidizing his 'clean coal'? I know there is something in your constitution that doesn't allow the federal government to intervene with the states or something like that, but again ... he has done something crazy things already (+ 33 governors are R, right?).

They still failed to convince him so sanctions are fair game. Tax every fossil fuel dollar that leaves the US. Make American coal, oil, and gas as uncompetitive as possible.

His MO is to make every failure seem like a win. Which would then keep the people that voted him happy.

Lastly, for the US'ers claiming that the states and cities are doing much more even without you federal government: we've seen Trump pulling tricks nobody would've allowed before, what would keep him from forcing states and cities to use coal or put taxes on green technology while subsidizing his 'clean coal'? I know there is something in your constitution that doesn't allow the federal government to intervene with the states or something like that, but again ... he has done something crazy things already (+ 33 governors are R, right?).

Well he's all about states rights, only when it's not against him. In reality, the states would just sue the government, and lock it up in the courts like the travel ban. Besides he tried and failed to do this with sanctuary cities. Additionally, Just because you gave a R republican doesn't mean they are batshit crazy. I'd say 90% are crazy the other moderates.

So, the pledges from the Paris agreement would lead to a temperature increase of around 3.3°C. The american pledges would mean a reduction with 0.1 to 0.3°C. So without the US we could get 3.6°C ... Either way that's still more than the "well below 2°C" pledge. So is this so much more disastrous for the world?

On the other side, it is ofcourse an open door for other countries to slow down their efforts, which could only make it worse. But maybe this could be an incentive to the rest of the world to up the efforts and really reach the 2°C mark?

Because the entire point of the Paris agreement was "ramping up" pledges. Paris was the start of fixing our issues. It's pointless to go "well current pledges don't fix the issue" because that was one of the key points of the negotiations.

Does Nashville have a Facebook presence? Do you have contacts elsewhere in the US to orchestrate something. I know it seems futile but we also agree that doing nothing is also no option

I'm sure they do, but I'm not sure what kind of presence protests groups have. The last big protest I remember is a BLM group marching during Ferguson. I don't have any real protest contacts, no. I know people in various states, but none of them are active in protesting that I am aware of. I can look into stuff like that, though, Nashville is a fairly progessive city, I think, so there may be more groups out.

But, I mean, as I said I don't feel like I do nothing. I vote in all elections, and I donate to groups that are doing real work to battle the GOP and this administration in courts. I think that is important.

Last year, we moved from Northern Colorado to South Florida. Granted, we didn't go the most direct route (Colorado -> Dallas -> New Orleans -> Florida), but the distance we traveled would be the European equivalent of driving from Inverness, Scotland to Constanta, Romania on the Black Sea.

Yeah, it's a big cultural divide, I feel, with Europeans, especially those who have never been in the States. They have a mindset that you can just jump in the car and go anywhere and back within a day's time. It's just not the reality for a large part of America, especially going State-to-State.

Toxi

Banned
It's not just a simple on and off switch where if you're above 2 degrees, you're fucked. There are degrees of fucked here.

Top Bottom