• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Trump is pulling U.S. out of Paris climate deal

Harmen

Are there any repercursions for the US specifically if they go out? As in, can the other major economies of the Paris accords (financially) punish the US for bailing out and fucking up mother earth at an even quicker rate?

IaN_GAF

Today, I am genuinely angry at the citizens of the USA.

All of them.

Not just the ones that voted for him, nor the orange turd himself, but every single one.

It's irrational, it's unfair, but I can't help it.

Fuck all of this.

I'm not in the US, so I have had no influence on this election whatsoever. The decisions this pathetic man is making out of blatant, obvious greed and pettiness, all the while being cheered on by the people whose very lives he's destroying, is frustrating and maddening to no end.

Now imagine feeling that way, but actually being from the US. I think that might actually be worse.

So while I understand where you are coming from, I would respectfully suggest you direct your anger solely to the people responsible for the actions that caused it.

I personally am so sorry for all the US citizens that do not want this, forced to watch this idiot behave like the incompetent fool he is, in name of their country.

Jesus effing Christ! If I've learned something about trump is that whatever options are available he goes for the extreme opposite of the best one he could take.

Gotta join the other superpowers that are also not in the Paris deal like Nicaragua and Syria!

Foffy

Banned
I now am on the "Fuck Donald Trump" bandwagon.

He is now a worldwide problem, because his childish demeanour has led to fatal action.

Are there any repercursions for the US specifically if they go out? As in, can the other major economies of the Paris accords (financially) punish the US for bailing out and fucking up mother earth at an even quicker rate?

Not sure about stuff like that, as economics is outside my purview. However, I imagine my Prez will just try to sanction back the other countries. Then again congress might get a backbone and try to stop it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Just because he has meetings doesn't mean he didn't already stupidly make up his mind.

That said, here's hoping this was leaked as a feeler and he was just testing the waters.

Either way, what a fucking dunce.

The fact alone that a head of an important nation behaves like this is not exactly reassuring for the rest of the world.

One week later: Trump formally announces withdrawal from Paris Accord

Yeah, lol, that's generally how this stuff goes. Something terrible leaks, there's either denial or 'not really made the decision yet', and it eventually happens in some form or another. Happened with the rolling back of LGBT rights, the religious freedom stuff (thankfully that was very neutered in compared to the rumors), and I'm sure it'll be a similar situation here.

For his supporters: Either Trump is right and climate change is a hoax created by the Chinese for, um, some fucking reason or Trump is wrong and he ends up bringing about those end times they're so fond of. Win-win.

They revel in the suffering of others. They want the world to end.

Today, I am genuinely angry at the citizens of the USA.

All of them.

Not just the ones that voted for him, nor the orange turd himself, but every single one.

It's irrational, it's unfair, but I can't help it.

Fuck all of this.

yeah well not all of us wanted this piece of shit so get out of here with this shit.

Fuck you man. I didn't vote for this piece of shit.

Lol.

Why is everyone so angry all the time.. Pls try and resolve issues instead of making it worse with phrases like these

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/869890727861465088

Another decision that Ivanka tries to influence and nothing will happen.

You'd really think even seeing all this immediate backlash from all different sides would make him want to stick with it. It'd be an easy win for him and the pundits would be talking about how this is the day Trump became president.

*eyerolling*

Another attempt to rebrand herself as the moderating force behind climate change.

Also, maybe if we call it the Trump Climate Deal (and leave all the details the same), we can save the planet.

Toxi

Banned
Some of us really REALLY fucking tried to stop this. I've been out nearly every other weekend at least protesting and marching for something that has been directly fucked because of this administration. Our country is in the stranglehold of not only the Right/Fox News propaganda machine, but apathy. People throwing up their hands and not giving a shit to the detriment of all.
The real killer.

Fritz

Yeah, it's a big cultural divide, I feel, with Europeans, especially those who have never been in the States. They have a mindset that you can just jump in the car and go anywhere and back within a day's time. It's just not the reality for a large part of America, especially going State-to-State.

You are wrong. We understand this. And I have provided you with an example how a small group is organising protests all over Europe, transcending borders, language barriers and cultures, every week!

The future of humanity and the planet is being treated as a reality TV show gimmick where the decision won't be announced until ratings come in

PieterJan

Neo Member
Because the entire point of the Paris agreement was "ramping up" pledges. Paris was the start of fixing our issues. It's pointless to go "well current pledges don't fix the issue" because that was one of the key points of the negotiations.

True, I should emphasize that I strongly oppose how Trump treats this international agreement. But I wonder if the US pulling out would indeed increase the fucked-upness with such a large scale? IF(!!) the EU/China/Australia/ all other rational governments can prevent a ripple effect.

Now, another question that now comes to mind is: can the other developed nations fill the financing gap that the US leaves behind?

Wrote to both of my moronic GOP senators this morning urging them to talk to the Orange Turd (didn't use those words). How Senators in NC can stand by and let this simple-minded fucktard screw over humanity is beyond me. The whole damn eastern shore is dealing with beach erosion from rising waters. Ugh. Dumbasses. They won't do anything, but I wrote to them anyway.

Edit - and just found out Tillis is one of the morons who urged Trump to pull out in the first place. What in the actual fuck is wrong with these people?

Nicaragua said they won't agree because it's not enough, not because they don't believe in climate change

...And can someone really blame Syria?

Ac30

So, the pledges from the Paris agreement would lead to a temperature increase of around 3.3°C. The american pledges would mean a reduction with 0.1 to 0.3°C. So without the US we could get 3.6°C ... Either way that's still more than the "well below 2°C" pledge. So is this so much more disastrous for the world?

On the other side, it is ofcourse an open door for other countries to slow down their efforts, which could only make it worse. But maybe this could be an incentive to the rest of the world to up the efforts and really reach the 2°C mark?

Lastly, for the US'ers claiming that the states and cities are doing much more even without you federal government: we've seen Trump pulling tricks nobody would've allowed before, what would keep him from forcing states and cities to use coal or put taxes on green technology while subsidizing his 'clean coal'? I know there is something in your constitution that doesn't allow the federal government to intervene with the states or something like that, but again ... he has done something crazy things already (+ 33 governors are R, right?).

Pretty sure the +2C was a pipe dream a long, long time ago, we're already at +1.4C compared to pre-industrial times.

4C will be catastrophic, and probable. Good thing I'll be dead by 2100.

Foffy

Banned
Just now?

So far he's been a baby bossman, which has been all talk. He's left America looking like a headless chicken because of how inept he is.

His problems caused by policy have mostly been local and self-contained. This is not one of them, and thus the bubble of the problems of Donald Trump infect the rest of the planet. His sheer awfulness can't even be contained in America's borders on a policy level.

Americans are worse than ISIS. At least ISIS has some religious fundamentalism to back up all their terrorist acts, the US are just pure evil and want to destroy this planet just because.

Americans are worse than ISIS. At least ISIS has some religious fundamentalism to back up all their terrorist acts, the US are just pure evil and want to destroy this planet just because.

We are religious fundamentalism in a different way.

We are religious fundamentalist to the Church of Capitalism.

Groups more Science Literate thank the United States:

China, The Catholic Church.

C'mon Donnie... you're old, fat, and obviously can't handle stress very well -- can you just fucking croak already? Like, right now please?

Lol.

Why is everyone so angry all the time.. Pls try and resolve issues instead of making it worse with phrases like these

Can you blame us? 10s of millions are being led by an idiot against their will. And the supporters are too stubborn to admit they made a mistake because they really need their 200 dollar tax cut a year.

At some point, it becomes too much. And this is only four months in. Wait until the consequences start rolling in. This is just the honeymoon.

Vena

He can't do anything about it for several years yet, he can just be a blowhard and not match goals but he can't formally withdrawl just yet.

Meanwhile, US States and Cities will just further dive and invest into green technology for their local and broader economies, and leave behind the bumblefucks that voted for this piece of shit.

You are wrong. We understand this. And I have provided you with an example how a small group is organising protests all over Europe, transcending borders, language barriers and cultures, every week!

You don't. I realize you think you do, but it becomes very obvious when these discussions come up that most of you really don't.

He can't do anything about it for several years yet, he can just be a blowhard and not match goals but he can't formally withdrawl just yet.

Meanwhile, US States and Cities will just further dive and invest into green technology for their local and broader economies, and leave behind the bumblefucks that voted for this piece of shit.

He can take the accelerated course which would get us out in a year which would be the worst decision, but it's Trump so he'll fucking do it.

Vena

He can take the accelerated course which would get us out in a year which would be the worst decision, but it's Trump so he'll fucking do it.

He could, and he'd likely be met with quick-to-feel sanctions on the economy. But, again, this is all sort of aside the point as the major movements/progress have and will remain to be at the state/city level (just as the obstruction to these changes was at the state level before).

McLovin

Watch Fox news and Trump supporters spin this.
"lil smog aint hurt nobody"
"being around garbage enhances your immune system"
"my granfather lived in a land fill and he lived to be 100"

Top Bottom