• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azumi (SPOILERS!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiZ III

Ok you've been warned about the spoilers so Im not going to bother using the spoiler tags.

After finding out this movie featured Aya Ueto I had to get it. I mean you don't see ditzy Jpop stars going on a massive killing spree every day. Shes pretty damn talented. Her music/voice isn't bad and neither is her acting plus she can wield a sword.

Movie was pretty badass imo. The story was somewhat lame but this seems to be common in Asian movies, Indian, Korean, Japanese, HK. I think Hidden Dragon is the only one Ive seen with a good story. Alright back to Azumi. Killing off half the team was pretty stupid. I thought it was some sort of test to test their trust in each other. Guess not. The fight scenes were really well done as far as Im concerned. Im glad there was one other teamate left besides Azumi at the end.

I hear they're making a sequel? Can't wait.

I liked versus better.

The starting was extremely bad ass but like versus the movie ran about a half hour too long. The action scnenes were not that great either.

7/10

Yah Azumi 2 is coming but Kitamuraisn't the director anymore. Shusuke Kaneko will take over for him. Chiako Kuriyama will also be in it.

RiZ III

Versus, is that with the forest of the dead? Dude, that movie was so cheesy. Hahaha.

Why isn't the same guy directing the sequel and whos the new guy as in what has he done?

My best guess as to why Kitamura isn't directing it is because he's working on Godzilla Final Wars right now, so oneof them would have to be delayed for him to work on both.

As for what Kaneko has done, he's best known for making the Gamera movies.

bjork

The guy in Azumi with the white costume was cool. "I've never defended until now", etc.

It's worth the $10 it would run me at work.

Bebpo

Banned
Azumi is probably my favorite Kitamura film despite my intense love for Versus. I love the cinematography, the music, the costumes, the fight scenes, and all the cool little bits like having a Shinobi.

I hope Azumi 2 is good, though I'm not sure about putting it with a different director.

The order of my Kitamura love is Azumi>Versus>>>Skyhigh>>>>>>The Messenger>Alive with Azumi being about a 4/4, Skyhigh a 3/4, and Alive a 2/4.

Bebpo said:
The order of my Kitamura love is Azumi>Versus>>>Skyhigh>>>>>>The Messenger>Alive with Azumi being about a 4/4, Skyhigh a 3/4, and Alive a 2/4.

Have you seen Aragami? It doesn't really get much attention, although it might be because people don't even know that its a Kitamura movie. It's basically about 2 samurai's, the entire movie takes place in a dojo and only has 4 people through the entire movie. With you being a fan of Versus i'm sure you'll enjoy the ending quite a bit. :p

I'd probably rank Sky High as #2 on my Kitamura movie list. I liked it alot. Defiently a change in style from your typical Kitamura movie but it worked imo.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wario64 said:
The movie has some boring action scenes. Poorly coreographed and uninteresting

All these Japanese action movies of late do. This, Versus, Princess Blade, and some others I've seen all blow so damn much IMO.

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Have you seen Aragami? It doesn't really get much attention, although it might be because people don't even know that its a Kitamura movie. It's basically about 2 samurai's, the entire movie takes place in a dojo and only has 4 people through the entire movie. With you being a fan of Versus i'm sure you'll enjoy the ending quite a bit. :p

I'd probably rank Sky High as #2 on my Kitamura movie list. I liked it alot. Defiently a change in style from your typical Kitamura movie but it worked imo.

Yeah, I really want to see Aragami but I didn't think the dvd was out yet? It sounds like a cool movie and knowing he filmed it in 1 week like Azumi makes it even better :)

Gantz said:
I liked Azumi. The village and end fight were great. Definitely check out Aragami or 2LDK. Good stuff.

Yah 2LDK is f'cking awesome. I'd personally put it over Aragami. Aragami is cool and all but it's much like Kitamura's other movies where the action is really done up. In comparison 2LDK is much more grounded in reality and is just plain brutal in it's action. For those that haven't seen it, just imagine the beating scenes in Ichi, but spanned over 20-30 minutes of it just nonstop. It doesn't have blood flying everywhere (well except for one scene) it's very realistic in its violence.

"Yeah, I really want to see Aragami but I didn't think the dvd was out yet?"

The DVD is only out in it's Duel form.

B00013F560.09.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

That's 2LDK/Aragami in a box set. They both take place in 1 place. 2LDK takes place in an apartment and as I said earlier, Aragami takes place in a dojo. 2LDK only has 2 on screen characters through the entire movie.

I haven't gotten around to seeing 2DLK but I thought Arigami was pretty good. It reminded me of Alive since the characters are stuck in one room. The ending was funny to me since its sort of related to Versus. But of the Kitamura movies, I liked Azumi the most even though it felt like it had 3 endings. It could have been editted better imo.

If anyone is interested in Azumi 2, the director's website talks about it. There is a link to pictures of the movie at the very bottom.

http://www.shusuke-kaneko.com/eng/azumi.htm

You can see Chiaki and Aya preparing to cut up weird looking ninjas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom