• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Latest Episode:
Episode 23: Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2

Lloyd Parker (designer of our awesome logo) joins us to talk about two absolute classics from the Sega Genesis. For many Sonic 1 and 2 sold them on a Sega Genesis or Mega Drive. We revisit these early titles from the blue blur and also talk about the future of the podcast, more NGPC, the PS Vita, and more!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Also, please send me feedback on what you like/dislike about the show and what you want to see in the future.

I am considering an investment in video equipment to do some more features and travel for interviews/short documentaries.

Teknoman

I knew I wasnt going crazy. Went into a greek owned gas station a little while ago ( I forget the name, but they've got amazing gyros) and heard the Sonic ring noise several times.

Also lol we did the "club" thing in elementary too, except we called them teams. I think we even made up Hyper Sonic before Sonic 3 released. Since everyone couldnt be Sonic (one kid wanted to be Tails) we made up Hyper Sonic, Ultra Sonic, Turbo Sonic (lol), and then stuff like Ice Sonic. Never really did anything with it except make comics and so on.

EDIT: Yeah there were fast moments in Sonic 1 and 2, but the majority of the time, you had to really be patient (case in point Sonic 2's last boss). Sure you have to pass some obstacles at breakneck pace, but the majority of the time its about patience and timing.

Not sure how the team has lost that notion honestly.

I knew I wasnt going crazy. Went into a greek owned gas station a little while ago ( I forget the name, but they've got amazing gyros) and heard the Sonic ring noise several times.

Also lol we did the "club" thing in elementary too, except we called them teams. I think we even made up Hyper Sonic before Sonic 3 released. Since everyone couldnt be Sonic (one kid wanted to be Tails) we made up Hyper Sonic, Ultra Sonic, Turbo Sonic (lol), and then stuff like Ice Sonic. Never really did anything with it except make comics and so on.

EDIT: Yeah there were fast moments in Sonic 1 and 2, but the majority of the time, you had to really be patient (case in point Sonic 2's last boss). Sure you have to pass some obstacles at breakneck pace, but the majority of the time its about patience and timing.

I totally missed out on the whole Sonic Team thing in school. We did a lot of American Gladiators and setup obstacle courses.

Teknoman

I think we ended up using playground and chin up bar equip as Power Ranger and TMNT fight equipment lol.

Pretending Mortal Kombat led to some interesting yells between friends outside...

orient

Neo Member
What an amazing episode! :p

Thanks again for having me on, guys -- it was super fun.

When we played Power Rangers, I was always Zack because that was the name of my Grandad's dog. Not sure why that influenced my decision but it did!

Tripon

Also, please send me feedback on what you like/dislike about the show and what you want to see in the future.

I am considering an investment in video equipment to do some more features and travel for interviews/short documentaries.

I'll like to see a Lufia series ep.

otx4Ly1.jpg

Nice get!

I also grew up with only the game gear versions of sonic and confirm that sonic 2 is shit. The hang glider levels in particular comes from Satan's dark holes.

I wonder if people who run gas stations get to choose their register tones? Is the sonic ring noise just an option that Sega gives random gas stations for a cheap laugh?

If you missed the Hangout with Greg Sewart I will be posting it on the iTunes feed/site tomorrow. Turned into an awesome Sega discussion.

Listened to the Mike Mika ep on my drive home last night. Man, that is some good stuff Kevin. Can't wait for part 2. Keep up the great work.

Teknoman

I wonder if people who run gas stations get to choose their register tones? Is the sonic ring noise just an option that Sega gives random gas stations for a cheap laugh?

It might just be the default for certain register models? Sega does make other things like those UFO catcher machines...so maybe they have some subsidiary that makes registers?

Either that or some register company just thought the sound worked for money, and threw it in without a second thought.

It might just be the default for certain register models? Sega does make other things like those UFO catcher machines...so maybe they have some subsidiary that makes registers?

Either that or some register company just thought the sound worked for money, and threw it in without a second thought.

I like to think it's the latter, as that's more chaotic. Or should I say Knuckles Chaotix?

In all honestly, save yourself the trouble. I really like the podcast, but wouldn't be interested in video episodes or streaming. Would like less Gaiden episodes, after I heard about 3 they seem to blend together a bit.

As for games, I would like to see an episode on Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei and Orta. I am still in awe of Orta's graphics and controll, it is so tight.

Some other games / themes I would like to see featured: Hucard shmups, Crazy Taxi, Sunset Riders, Contra series, The Red Star and Clockwork Knight.

Keep up the good work.

Edit: La Pucelle Tactics, Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire would be awesome as well. But I guess those aren't games you would normally pick or play.

In all honestly, save yourself the trouble. I really like the podcast, but wouldn't be interested in video episodes or streaming. Would like less Gaiden episodes, after I heard about 3 they seem to blend together a bit.

As for games, I would like to see an episode on Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei and Orta. I am still in awe of Orta's graphics and controll, it is so tight.

Some other games / themes I would like to see featured: Hucard shmups, Crazy Taxi, Sunset Riders, Contra series, The Red Star and Clockwork Knight.

Keep up the good work.

Edit: La Pucelle Tactics, Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire would be awesome as well. But I guess those aren't games you would normally pick or play.

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to try and produce some 5 minute videos on stuff. Nothing crazy. Mostly to have fun trying it out.

The arcade games are good topics, but tend to be short shows. With that being said I have a page of games with ideas on how to cover them and make the episode more meatier.

With the vertical/horizontal shooters, that will be more of a new thing for me. I have talked to Greg Seward about doing Thunder Force III and Blazing Lazers.

The Saturn stuff will come. If I had to guess the next games from that gen we would cover will be one of the following:

Doom 64
Metal Gear Solid
Die Hard Arcade

And I have already locked in Castlevania: SotN with Brian Davis from Next Level Games.

On the NEWS front, I can also confirm I am going to interview David Kushner, the author of, "Masters of Doom." Feel free to let me know if you have questions for him.

Raitaro

On the NEWS front, I can also confirm I am going to interview David Kushner, the author of, "Masters of Doom." Feel free to let me know if you have questions for him.

"Where the heck is DOOM 4?"

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Just popping in here, admittedly very lttp, to say that I'll keep Back in my Play in my weekly podcast rotation from now on after finally having the chance to listen to the first few episodes. (Yes, I even have a backlog for my gaming podcasts at this point...).

Love the show so far partly because it scratches a nostalgia itch few - if any - other podcasts manage to do. (Though I know I'll miss Trey when I get to the episodes without him though :-( ).

Edit: my initial joke question aside, it would actually be interesting to ask him if he has any idea what happened between Doom 3 and 4 in terms of development and the work etc of the masters Romero and Carmack etc. Maybe he could shed some light on this, as an update on the book so to speak.

"Where the heck is DOOM 4?"

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Just popping in here, admittedly very lttp, to say that I'll keep Back in my Play in my weekly podcast rotation from now on after finally having the chance to listen to the first few episodes. (Yes, I even have a backlog for my gaming podcasts at this point...).

Love the show so far partly because it scratches a nostalgia itch few - if any - other podcasts manage to do. (Though I know I'll miss Trey when I get to the episodes without him though :-( ).

Edit: my initial joke question aside, it would actually be interesting to ask him if he has any idea what happened between Doom 3 and 4 in terms of development and the work etc of the masters Romero and Carmack etc. Maybe he could shed some light on this, as an update on the book so to speak.

Hmm, I will ask.

dperrin

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to try and produce some 5 minute videos on stuff. Nothing crazy. Mostly to have fun trying it out.

The arcade games are good topics, but tend to be short shows. With that being said I have a page of games with ideas on how to cover them and make the episode more meatier.

With the vertical/horizontal shooters, that will be more of a new thing for me. I have talked to Greg Seward about doing Thunder Force III and Blazing Lazers.

The Saturn stuff will come. If I had to guess the next games from that gen we would cover will be one of the following:

Doom 64
Metal Gear Solid
Die Hard Arcade

And I have already locked in Castlevania: SotN with Brian Davis from Next Level Games.

I think the 5 minute videos are a good idea. Videos that you previously posted were a nice bonus in between podcasts. I really enjoyed the neo geo videos you posted. I also think that YouTube videos could help drive traffic to the podcast.

Latest Episode:
Episode 24: Yoshi's Island

Patrick Klepek of GiantBomb.com joins us to discuss Yoshi’s Island on the Super Nintendo and Super Famicom. As always, we revisit our early memories and impressions of the game before revisiting it almost 20 years later. We also discuss the interesting development history, how Nintendo has failed to recapture the magic in later games, it’s similarities to Super Mario Bros 2, and more!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Teknoman

I think 3 is more underated than 2 since most people seem to know it exists (you always hear about TMNT II and IV...and for better or worse 1 lol).

But like Megaman, I actually played II before 1.

I think 3 is more underated than 2 since most people seem to know it exists (you always hear about TMNT II and IV...and for better or worse 1 lol).

But like Megaman, I actually played II before 1.

So weird how that was the case for so many games back then. You just played what you saw in the rental store or got as a gift. And TMNT and TMNT II were so different. Lime SMB and SMB 2 or 3.

Teknoman

Yup, exactly my case. Its how I ended up play Castlevania 3 and Super C before anything else too. Mario has always been in order though. Sonic was 2,1,3.

Top Bottom