• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backbreaker |OT| of FINALLY next-gen football

lupinko

Afrikan said:
Pocket Awareness, let me show you it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6qBq8rzADQ&feature=player_embedded

yeah I remade the 2006 49ers 60th Anniversary Uniforms.....with the White Pants.

xax8x0.jpg

ay4qkg.jpg

6elyec.jpg

Do want.

Dreohboy

The M.O.B said:
At this point, it is all up to Sony when it gets released, they have it, but have not told the team why it didnt get released last week like it was supposed to. Hopefully we get it this Tuesday.

It is unfortunate because i know a lot of people with only a ps3 that have taken an interest in this game, but have no means of trying it out :/

Guess I'll just have to buy it.

Then get Madden 2010 later this year.

The way I see it, I can give these guys my $ and hope they improve on something that has a solid foundation, then spend $15 on ebay for Madden which will quench my "stat realism" fix...or I can reward EA for grabbing the NFL franchise buy paying $60 for this year's Madden release that probably won't be much different from the last TWO versions.

I have become a Backbreaker fan overnight.

Screw Madden.

I supported and bought the product, I did my part and I may revisit this game down the line. So hopefully my 55 dollars is 1 of millions they rake in just to make BB2. I don't like the game however, just did it out of principle and hope for a better game next year.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Afrikan said:
wassup with all these haters?...:lol

I'll say this much...they seem to be very generous to "save people".

What's with you running the Backbreaker defense force? You are super annoying in this thread. You don't need to defend the game when someone has a negative opinion, it makes you look like a fool. People have different tastes, get over it.

mik

mik is unbeatable
gluv65 said:
I supported and bought the product, I did my part and I may revisit this game down the line. So hopefully my 55 dollars is 1 of millions they rake in just to make BB2. I don't like the game however, just did it out of principle and hope for a better game next year.
I kind of did the same thing. I was rather unimpressed by the demo. But I bought it anyway. I'm liking the full game a bit more and it's showing me some flashes of brilliance--but it's not ready for primetime. HOWEVER, I'm hoping that it can sell enough to send a message to those who need to receive it.

Afrikan

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
What's with you running the Backbreaker defense force? You are super annoying in this thread. You don't need to defend the game when someone has a negative opinion, it makes you look like a fool. People have different tastes, get over it.

buddy, go back and look at each quote I responded to......I'm not here to hurt anybody's feelings or to be "super annoying"....I've contributed to this thread by giving gameplay advice as well as posting info, pics, and videos from various other gamers who are enjoying the game......as well as my own videos.

that is why I'm still here...to contribute to the Official BackBreaker thread....if there is a post I disagree with or I feel is giving out miss information, I respond.

why are you still here?

you said...
MyFaceIsOnFire said:
I like how they decided to release this before lifting the review embargo. I see a lot of incoming 4-7 reviews. The graphics are boring outside of the amazing physics and animation. The ai is retarded, the camera angle sucks and getting called for roughing the punter in every other punt is downright annoying. Is this enough to consider the game broken? Yes. If Madden came out that broken we would never hear the end of it. Awesome animation and great physics do not make a game. I won't pay $50 for a tech demo.

its ok to enjoy Madden and this game...it doesn't have to be one or the other....

since you won't pay $50 for a "tech demo"....what is your reasoning for staying in this thread, especially if I'm posting alot in this thread and I'm "super annoying".....are you here to contribute? or are you here for something else.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Afrikan said:
buddy, go back and look at each quote I responded to......I'm not here to hurt anybody's feelings or to be "super annoying"....I've contributed to this thread by giving gameplay advice as well as posting info, pics, and videos from various other gamers who are enjoying the game......as well as my own videos.

that is why I'm still here...to contribute to the Official BackBreaker thread....if there is a post I disagree with or I feel is giving out miss information, I respond.

why are you still here?

you said...

its ok to enjoy Madden and this game...it doesn't have to be one or the other....

since you won't pay $50 for a "tech demo"....what is your reasoning for staying in this thread, especially if I'm posting alot in this thread and I'm "super annoying".....are you here to contribute? or are you here for something else.

lol, get a life dude. I'm still here to see if the negative aspects of the game are accurate or if I'm missing something. Maybe someone will post some tips that make the game more playable to me.

EDIT: Also, where did I say I was a huge Madden fan? I enjoy Madden but I'll be the first to tell you it has it's fair share of problems too. I'll also be the first to tell you the physics and animations in Backbreaker are the best I've seen in a sports game. It's too bad the rest of the game is incredibly bad. I'm sure you will argue that all the reviewers that give this game 4s and 5s are just Madden fanboys too.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MyFaceIsOnFire said:
lol, get a life dude.

Eh. This is his schtick. Him and one other in this thread. In any event, according to the official forum, the game patches should be going live soon.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
WanderingWind said:
Eh. This is his schtick. Him and one other in this thread. In any event, according to the official forum, the game patches should be going live soon.

That's good to hear!

i don't get how some of these bugs (like the punt bug) can get through. this goes for tiburon, 2k, and any other sports developer. why is it that they spend X amount of time with the game, and within a few hours EVERY YEAR (with nba 2k, nba live, madden, ncaa, etc) shit is found. i get that you have hundreds of thousands of people playing the game on release day whereas a QA team is a handful of people but jesus some of this stuff is painfully obvious to ANYONE who plays. it's just laziness.

anyways, curious to see what the opinion of this game is a month from now. as i said in the demo impressions thread i didn't have much fun with the game but maybe it can have enough of a following to have a follow up

Afrikan said:
you don't pay anything....when these users are ready all they have to do is copy their created team saves onto a USB card, then upload it to the net...and we download it.

and yes you can create them yourself if you like, heck you might do a better job.....all these teams were created with the logo editor in the game.

Awesome.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Playing on hard right now and pro formation smash is such a money play to the TE. It works seriously 90% of the time for big yardage.

EDIT: May have just been the team I was playing against. Doesn't work as well against others but still has a very high success rate.

EDIT 2: I feel like I have such little control over what happens on defense mostly because I guess I can't see what the fuck is going on. I guess this was a design choice to make it feel like you are one player and not a whole team. I don't like it :( It's a good thing offense is becoming more fun as long as I commit to one receiver before the snap. If I try to cycle between even 2 receivers while the ball is in my QB's hands I get sacked. Fucking sucks.

EDIT 3: Just had a play where my defender flat out tackled the receiver while the ball was in mid air, another defender picked it off and ran it in for a td, no PI called. However, while running on offense I did a sweet backward juke and beat the last defender to the endzone. This game does shine at times, it just needs to be way more consistent.

EDIT 4: Great defensive series... oh, another roughing the punter penalty :(

EDIT 5: Time running down in the half after a deep pass, CPU calls no huddle offense and it takes only 4 seconds to snap the next play. 4 fucking seconds. After a deep pass!

mbmonk

I am starting to think that you have to lead the receiver with the pass to even have a chance of completing certain routes.

So for example the "Quick Outs" play. Quick Outs is like a 5-7 yard out route by your WR's. If you throw the ball before the WR makes his cut the WR instead runs a "Go" route ( basically just runs a straight vertical route, with no out cut). If you throw ball after the WR makes his cut, then you tend to throw it too late and the WR will most likely catch it out of bounds. Keep in mind that is even if you are throwing to the wide side of the field.

So to quickly summarize the Quick Out w/o leading the passer. If you throw it before the WR's cut it turns into a GO route, if you throw it after the WR's cut it's out of bounds.

Now if you throw it early AND lead the WR toward the sideline you can complete the pass and still have enough time/room to turn your WR upfield for really good yardage. And since you are leading the WR toward the sideline the WR still runs his out route instead of turning it into a go route regardless of the fact you threw the ball early.

If someone could double check this I would appreciate it. The Quick Outs play is in the I formation. For the record I am not playing the game in 'arcade' mode. That mode may automatically lead the WR for you; not sure.

So now it makes sense at a basic level why the QB throwing animation is long. It gives you time to use the "lead the WR" mechanic. So while you may not like the time it takes for the QB to throw the ball, the extended animation it seems, it is in there for a reason at least.

newsguy

Last night I got some "wow" moments in the game. QBs throwing jump passes is always a recipe for fun. I either helicopter tackle them, or smash their legs and flip them. The best one so far was me playing as DT. I was so aggressive I drove the O lineman into the jumping QB. the result was the QB wrapping his legs around the guy's helmet and falling forward into my bullrush.

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
WanderingWind said:
according to the official forum, the game patches should be going live soon.
Also curious about this.

I've seen on the official forums that the team is compiling lists of bugs/issues/improvements for a POTENTIAL system update, but it seems they haven't decided/commited to doing one or not. Source
Nothing confirmed as yet - lets just work on identifying all the issues so we can get them nailed

Klocker

wow those vids look so friggin realistic... the motion and on field camera make the game feel organic... I can hardly look at a Madden animation now. :lol

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
EDIT 2: I feel like I have such little control over what happens on defense mostly because I guess I can't see what the fuck is going on. I guess this was a design choice to make it feel like you are one player and not a whole team. I don't like it :( It's a good thing offense is becoming more fun as long as I commit to one receiver before the snap. If I try to cycle between even 2 receivers while the ball is in my QB's hands I get sacked. Fucking sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnFbPhTLDOA&feature=related

Are you using focus to keep the camera following the ball at all times?

mbmonk

Game Informer Review said:
The passing game isn’t much better. Backbreaker employs an up-tight camera perspective to bring you closer to the action, which makes it tough to scan the field for open receivers. If you spot one, it’s a crapshoot whether the game will highlight the correct one as you flick through your options with the right analog stick while holding the left trigger to focus on the player. Avoiding the free blitzers is tough, so you normally only have time to go through half your progression if you want to avoid a negative play. Once you get a pass off, it’s anybody’s guess where the ball will go. Overthrows, underthrows, and errant passes happen at chance with lesser-to-average rated quarterbacks, and if you throw the ball before a receiver makes his cut, it will break the receiver off his route instead of throwing to the intended location. These inconsistencies and the heads up play of the rival defenses lead to several turnovers and make it tough to pull off a Peyton Manning impersonation.

This is an example of why it's going to take time before we truly figure out what this game has to offer. One of my above posts addresses this exact issue. And you have to really sit down with the game and try to figure things out. You can't just play it like previous football games. You can't just assume the same way you played Madden and 2K is going to work in BB.

All that being said, the review is fair and spot on. There are a lot of major bugs that have shown up in the game. Hopefully the game will sell well enough for a patch because the core game is unique and pretty f-ing awesome.

mbmonk

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
EDIT 4: Great defensive series... oh, another roughing the punter penalty :(

You can avoid these by controlling the player that roughs the punter. For me it's always the last guy on the left side of the line. So I switch to control him instead of the punt returner. After the kick is away I will switch to the returner. Seems like the computer almost always gets the punt returner in proper position so this doesn't hamper my return game much.

Sucks to have to work around it, I know. But it does mitigate the issue at least.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I <3 Memes said:
That works really well, right up until you need to switch defenders--then you become hopelessly disoriented for a fraction of a second every time.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I <3 Memes said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnFbPhTLDOA&feature=related

Yes, it helps a little but I still hate the camera on defense. If you switch players during a play it's the most disorientating thing ever. Super terrible if you ask me.

EDIT: Maybe it's not so much that I hate the camera angle. It's partly because I'm so used to playing from a Madden like cam on defense. When rushing the QB as a d-line I'm fine, but once the play passes the line of scrimmage it gets bad for me. If I change to a db I have no idea where the ball is and it takes too long to readjust.

Love how the camera changed a football game for me. Trying to read the defense while also wary of NOT being able to see if your left tackle picked up the blitz. Being a running back and sliding through the o-line and avoiding the next level of linebackers with limbs, legs and bodies slowing you down. Love it.
Started to get the hang of leading the receiver and quick check to my 2nd option. Wish I could create a play, do more presnap movement and tag a WR to get double teamed.
I also want those custom teams people are making.

Finally got my copy from Amazon. My first game was great. Came down to the last few plays. Now to start work on my custom team league.

Not liking so far. Played a few games, it's ok for a game to not control like Madden.. or 2k.. or Gameday.. or well, virtually any football game before it but why make it so tedious? And what's up with the camera view? You can rarely do shit on defense. Also, my AI teammate literally decked this offensive player while the ball was in the air, the ball bounced off the receivers foot as he was flipping from the hit and falling down, which knocked the ball into the air, which I then ran under as the safety and picked off, returning it for a touchdown. It plays like a very broken game of football with very good tech. I don't want to call it a glorified tech demo but at times it seems to be exactly what it is.

Really, they would have been much better off with a more traditional control scheme and camera angle.

The M.O.B

Another review up, this time from Playstationlifestyle

It got a 7, but please do read the review and the gameinformer one in full, might help you decide.

site is bannned.........dunno how to think about that :/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The M.O.B said:
Another review up, this time from Playstationlifestyle

It got a 7, but please do read the review and the gameinformer one in full, might help you decide.

site is bannned.........dunno how to think about that :/
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the reviews. The demo is pretty indicative of the full game. It pretty much comes down to whether or not you like the camera.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
SapientWolf said:
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the reviews. The demo is pretty indicative of the full game. It pretty much comes down to whether or not you like the camera.

And bad AI, stupid penalties, a bare bones franchise and lots and lots of INTs.

EDIT: So, IGN has Backbreaker ads all over their page today. Does that mean they will give it a good score?

The M.O.B

True, I was hoping Sony would release the demo today(they did not), so there are still a big group of people(me) that haven't had a chance to experience this. My copy is coming through the mail, hopefully coming soon.

Afrikan

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
And bad AI, stupid penalties, a bare bones franchise and lots and lots of INTs.

EDIT: So, IGN has Backbreaker ads all over their page today. Does that mean they will give it a good score?

its not about scores MFIOF....imo, it is about the content that is in the review....some of these reviews of the game are pretty telling.....they don't touch on some of the things this game does really well, but talk more about the problems they have when playing (usually, imo because they are not that good).... this is not an easy game.....but damn does it feel rewarding once you get the hang of it.

even if IGN gave it a good score (I don't think they will, that site has been inconsistent with review scores for sports games)

but even if IGN gave it a good score, it is in the content of the review that I would care about if I was on the fence...and if I really...lol....cared about journalist these days reviewing sports games...but I don't, my expectations are quite low....there are not too many good ones anymore.

it is better too look at the demo (SCEA are idiots for not firing who ever is in charge of the PSN)....and watch some gameplay with people who know how to play the game....and then form an opinion.......$60 is alot for some...and even though this game is $49, still alot of money.....some should try to play the demo for a long period of time if they are on the fence....

but if you love football, I would recommend this game....I mean just watch all the videos....for me, NEXT GEN SPORTS HEAVEN.....this is what we deserved when these powerful systems first launched...

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Afrikan said:
its not about scores MFIOF....imo, it is about the content that is in the review....some of these reviews of the game are pretty telling.....they don't touch on some of the things this game does really well, but talk more about the problems they have when playing (usually, imo because they are not that good).... this is not an easy game.....but damn does it feel rewarding once you get the hang of it.

even if IGN gave it a good score (I don't think they will, that site has been inconsistent with review scores for sports games)

but even if IGN gave it a good score, it is in the content of the review that I would care about if I was on the fence...and if I really...lol, cared about journalist these days reviewing sports games...but expectations are quite low....there are not too many good ones anymore.

it is better too look at the demo (SCEA are idiots for not firing who ever is in charge of the PSN)....and watch some gameplay with people who know how to play the game....and then form an opinion.......$60 is alot for some...and even though this game is $49, still alot of money.....some should try to play the demo for a long period of time if they are on the fence....

but if you love football, I would recommend this game....I mean just watch all the videos....for me, NEXT GEN SPORTS HEAVEN.....this is what we deserved when these powerful systems first launched...

I was poking fun at gaming sites taking ad money in exchange for good scores. Thanks for the break down though.

EDIT: Nevermind, noticed you said for you it's sports heaven. You keep enjoying it! I really couldn't disagree more though.

Afrikan

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
I was poking fun at gaming sites taking ad money in exchange for good scores. Thanks for the break down though.

EDIT: Nevermind, noticed you said for you it's sports heaven. You keep enjoying it! I really couldn't disagree more though.

can I ask you something....when you first heard about the PS3 and Xbox 360....what were you expecting from Next Gen football...let alone sports?

I was VERY excited about the possibilities....from graphics, to sound, to realism, to alot of things.......

when I play BackBreaker, it is a Totally different feeling I've had from most sports games....and that is not just counting football..... I won't lie, I have felt cheated out of Next Gen Football because of the NFL and their exclusive deal....straight cheated. I don't feel the football genre has advanced at all this gen....from proof last year that player rating in Madden don't mean a thing......what are we being served here, seriously.

am I saying BackBreaker it is the greatest without flaws...nope....does it have problems that NEED to be fixed, yup...and hopefully it is being worked on...like the devs say........but what BackBreaker does brings to this gen....that feeling of breaking through the slim whole your Oline provides for you, (without being stuck behind lineman, running in motion)......moving around in the pocket as a QB with defenders barely missing you...and finding the open man for a completion.......man, it totally different in a good way.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Afrikan said:
can I ask you something....when you first heard about the PS3 and Xbox 360....what were you expecting from Next Gen football...let alone sports?

I was VERY excited about the possibilities....from graphics, to sound, to realism, to alot of things.......

when I play BackBreaker, it is a Totally different feeling I've had from most sports games....and that is not just counting football..... I won't lie, I have felt cheated out of Next Gen Football because of the NFL and their exclusive deal....straight cheated. I don't feel the football genra has advanced at all this gen....from proof last year that player rating in Madden don't mean a thing......what are we being served here, seriously.

am I saying BackBreaker it is the greatest without flaws...nope....does it have problems that NEED to be fixed, yup...and hopefully it is being worked on...like the devs say........but what BackBreaker does brings to this gen....that feeling of breaking through the slim whole your Oline provides for you, (without being stuck behind lineman, running in motion)......moving around in the pocket as a QB with defenders barely missing you...and finding the open man for a completion.......man, it totally different in a good way.

Well, the animation and physics in Backbreaker are definitely next gen and some of the best available but the low texture player models are just sad. The game is broken. I would rather play a Madden that looks somewhat better than last gen than a broken game that has great physics and animations. At least Madden is playable. Again, all my opinion. I'm glad some people enjoy this game but I feel if the NFL rights weren't exclusive and it was this vs Madden both with full NFL rights people would still choose Madden 9 times out 10. In fact, I'd rather play Blitz the League 2 over this piece of garbage.

Afrikan

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Well, the animation and physics in Backbreaker are definitely next gen and some of the best available but the low texture player models are just sad. The game is broken. I would rather play a Madden that looks somewhat better than last gen than a broken game that has great physics and animations. At least Madden is playable. Again, all my opinion. I'm glad some people enjoy this game but I feel if the NFL rights weren't exclusive and it was this vs Madden both with full NFL rights people would still choose Madden 9 times out 10.

there are LOTS of valid arguments out there that Madden has been Broken these past few years....from player ratings not meaning NOTHING at all, to even NFL rules not being implemented properly....

and you say Madden is playable, one of the reasons I have felt it hasn't been playable is because glitches where I've felt cheated.....from my players forced to run slower so the defense catches up.....to my starters like Frank Gore and Vernon Davis.disappearing, NEVER to be found....not even in the injury list....to even my WRs playing CBs...with me not being able to do anything about it......

I also disagree with the "low texture player models".... Madden had High Resolution proper (although they looked roided) but still they were per portioned to the size of the football field in Madden 07.....but since then, they have shrunk ....from getting skinny with big heads to becoming midgets on the field...where as the football itself has stayed the same size apparently...lol...compared to the players.......they are the ones who have low rez player models......

and about this...

"if the NFL rights weren't exclusive and it was this vs Madden both with full NFL rights people would still choose Madden 9 times out 10."

if the camera view wasn't intimating from some....I think more would choose to play BackBreaker if both games were compared side by side....I'm sure if NM had the NFL license they would use regular shoulder pads...and the players would look more authentic.

so watching both side by side.....I would think BackBreaker with it's animations and graphics would look more appealing....

it is not all about the "Madden" name alone.....remember back when Madden was out selling every football game on specific consoles.....that changed when Sony released something that EA said was impossible at the time 22 Polygonal players on the field....when some saw Gameday 98 and Madden 98 side by side..... Madden, for the first time on a console, was outsold by a competitor............so what happened the next year...Madden with polygonal players and a great Madden game.... I LOVED Madden 99 and it steered me away from Gameday 99 (imo, it became too arcady)....

so even though love BackBreaker.....I also love what BackBreaker can do to my Madden in a couple of years.

Top Bottom