• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backbreaker |OT| of FINALLY next-gen football

jdub03 said:
Once you know what your doing the game seems too easy. I rarely throw int's or get sacked. It's just a huge learning curve.

Apparently I am trying too hard to play like actual football. Feet set + open WR + no one in my QB's face should = completions.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a fun one!

Easy onside kicks!!!!

So, just adjust the kick meter so you are kicking all the way to the right and make it so you are kicking the ball as high as possible. Now simply flick the right stick down and do not hold it at all. The kicker will kick the ball way up high into the air, press A and you will automatically switch to your player that is running straight toward the ball. If done correctly you can tackle the player of the opposing team who is set to catch the kick. Tackle him before he does and your teammates will recover the ball. It works about 85% of the time when there isn't wind or really low wind. I don't know if it works agaist human players or not because I'd never try that shit in an online game.

Edit: Forgot the most important part of this, you use the regular kick off formation, not the onside kick formation.

mbmonk

Just played two online games. If you are not the host then you have an input delay. Mix that with everyone doing all out blitzes most of the time and you have a very narrow window to execute your pass.

The first game I got hammer 48-0. To be honest he didn't have to blitz me and he still would have crushed me.

The second game I was up 38 - 24 when the guy pulled the plug.

I swear to god on the very first defensive play in the second game. They put my QB as MLB and my offensvie Tackle at OLB. Luckily the next defensive play my regular defensive players were back.

Also I couldn't seem to run the no huddle at all. It didn't seem to give me the option to press L2 and hurry up. So that was weird.

mbmonk

Bumblebeetuna said:
Apparently I am trying too hard to play like actual football. Feet set + open WR + no one in my QB's face should = completions.

Did you try playing with NE? Did that help at all?

Afrikan

so jealous some of yall are playing the game right now......I'm in Vegas for the weekend and although the nights have and will be fun :D wish I could be sneaking in some football in-between...

would have loved to have brought the PS3 but I got the o'l launch Phat one.

The M.O.B

I just got sidetracked by tackle alley, and I could only get up to stage 20, But i had some amazing cutbacks along the way, I love making guys miss in this game so much.

At one point, a guy was coming toward me, I do a full stop, he misses and slides at my feet, i try to run past but he grabs onto my foot and makes me stumble, two more guys come from the front and i do it again, but this time the guy comes from behind and tackles me. arghhhhhhh

Chrange

Banned
The M.O.B said:
I just got sidetracked by tackle alley, and I could only get up to stage 20, But i had some amazing cutbacks along the way, I love making guys miss in this game so much.

At one point, a guy was coming toward me, I do a full stop, he misses and slides at my feet, i try to run past but he grabs onto my foot and makes me stumble, two more guys come from the front and i do it again, but this time the guy comes from behind and tackles me. arghhhhhhh

I got to 64, but I finally just had to quit. It was 2 a.m. and I had to work in the morning lol

When they start tossing in out of bounds barriers, it gets a real strategy element to it. You have to plan out a good route, then try to execute on it.

Afrikan

I believe my brother was the first to beat Tackle Allay (100 waves) earlier this week... his PSN name is "HT415" I don't know if he is still #1 on the leader boards though.

Chrange

Banned
Afrikan said:
I believe my brother was the first to beat Tackle Allay (100 waves) earlier this week... his PSN name is "HT415" I don't know if he is still #1 on the leader boards though.

I was surprised to find my scores were in the range of people who'd beaten 15-20 more waves. If I'd kept going I could have wound up doing pretty well. Showboating + some combo juking = top scores :D

Chrange

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
that was perhaps the nicest preview of the game I've seen. They really seemed to dig it.
What puzzles me is that those guys are always BRUTAL at games, but manage to do pretty well at both passing and running.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Chrange said:
What puzzles me is that those guys are always BRUTAL at games, but manage to do pretty well at both passing and running.

Yeah. It's pretty hard to watch QL sometimes because they don't usually have a clue what to do and don't seem to want to figure it out. However, they seemed to pick up BB pretty quickly.

Chrange

Banned
Man, did anyone else install it to the HDD?

1.0 GB I almost deleted it and reinstalled, thinking it stopped early

Ænima

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Here's a fun one!

Easy onside kicks!!!!

So, just adjust the kick meter so you are kicking all the way to the right and make it so you are kicking the ball as high as possible. Now simply flick the right stick down and do not hold it at all. The kicker will kick the ball way up high into the air, press A and you will automatically switch to your player that is running straight toward the ball. If done correctly you can tackle the player of the opposing team who is set to catch the kick. Tackle him before he does and your teammates will recover the ball. It works about 85% of the time when there isn't wind or really low wind. I don't know if it works agaist human players or not because I'd never try that shit in an online game.

Edit: Forgot the most important part of this, you use the regular kick off formation, not the onside kick formation.
It does work online, a couple of cheeseballers have done this to me. For some reason when they do it the guy I control is facing backwards so I cant catch the ball. Also there are some people that know how to block field goals every time.

mbmonk

Ænima said:
Also there are some people that know how to block field goals every time.

Yea. It's pretty easy to do it seems. You just take the player directly behind the line and rush him up a gap in the middle.

Though I wonder if you controlled the center instead of the kicker (actually the guard position would be better), you could move the lineman into the gap he is trying to blitz through. The cpu kicker will make extra points but I don't know about long field goals.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
How is the offseason stuff in the franchise mode? Free agency, draft, etc.? That's what I mainly buy football games for (put a TON of hours into Madden '10 last year but never actually played a game :lol).

The ability to create your own team in this sounds really cool, and I would probably actually play a few games this time, but the offseason type stuff really makes or breaks football games for me.

jdub03

Future void thanks again for the tip video. I posted it in the backbreaker forum over at operationsports.com. Hope you don't mind.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
So the online and offline are both broken? That's just swell. I really hope BB2 is better because I have been enjoying the demo more and more. It's a shame so much went wrong when the physics are so great.

Another team done.

Bridge Town Tridents

4677634615_a150ebe0f2.jpg
4677631523_38557dd78e.jpg

4677635253_4a356e7612.jpg
4677639015_7ac97b5e1c.jpg

4677631249_00354d3c3d_b.jpg

elfinke

MiniDitka said:

Hilarious video, I loved it!

I picked up BB a day or two ago on a whim and because of this thread. So far I have loved every second of it, bugs, warts, 360 freezes and all!

Something wildly addictive and appealing about the 3rd person camera and the arcadey music jammed together. For someone who watches a lot of NFL here in Australia, but doesn't really understand the intricacies of the sport, this is the perfect game.

jdub03 said:
Future void thanks again for the tip video. I posted it in the backbreaker forum over at operationsports.com. Hope you don't mind.
Nope. Not at all.

I'm gonna finish up that Titans logo tonight and then get to work on the Eagles logo and helmet design which should be interesting.

Afrikan

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
So the online and offline are both broken? That's just swell. I really hope BB2 is better because I have been enjoying the demo more and more. It's a shame so much went wrong when the physics are so great.

wait.....you have been only playing the demo this whole time?

I thought you had the full game. :lol

you should jump on the $29.99 deal, if you have a 360.

other wise, for as much criticizing you have done with this game, I'd just wait for a the patch if I were you.....otherwise I would tell you to get the full game, it is still fun as hell.

as far as most of the glitches, I believe you can either try using players on the OLine to stop people from getting through......and for the onside kick, I wonder if you can call a fair catch....then switch to someone else and go after the ball.

After more time with this, despite some pretty sizable (and fixable if they choose to do so) flaws, this is pretty much settling itself in as my favorite football game this gen. The work that the community for the game is doing by recreating all 32 NFL teams is absolutely amazing. Some of the more complex logos need to be cleaned up a little, but there's already a roster download (360) out there with 20 teams completely done (logo, uniforms, helmets, field & endzone - all completely decked out), and most of them look 100% dead on, like the developer loaded it themselves.

As for the gameplay, while there are multiple things I would tweak, there's only two things that the game absolutely needs patched, and they relate to one another.

The first is the offensive line for the user AND the AI. Both the AI and you are working behind the worst offensive line in football. Now I know the argument is "In the NFL, if you pay attention, you only get 3 seconds to pass before the pressure gets there." Well, thats fine and dandy, but this runs into the second thing. The DB's, again for both the user and the AI, need to be toned down. There needs to be a slight downgrade, not much, on the speed and agility, they need to swat more passes, and their INT abilities need to be toned down by A LOT. I dont want the DB's to drop in the breadbasket throws 100% of the time like they do in the other football game, but it needs to be adjusted to meet somewhere in the middle to where it currently is and in Madden. This is mixed in with the WR speed, and that it takes about 3-4 seconds for any routes to come to life.

This is why we are seeing so many INTs by both the user and the computer. I go back to pass, even out of shotgun, and assuming that no DT or OLB has broken free immediately and I actually have the 3-4 seconds, what happens is you check your primary receiver. If it takes 2-3 seconds before they are in their route and they are covered, you check down. Issue is, after you pull LT down, cycle over, and make a lightning fast read to see if they are open, 99% of the time its too late. This, I have found, usually makes the AI and myself throw anyways out of panic because its not fun to get sacked EVERY single time you drop back and your primary is not open. These throws, especially in this game, are 90% of the time INT's. That needs to be toned down.

In summary, with more or less having the NFL roster now, shore up the O-Line a little bit, decrease the INTs - best football game this gen.

Chrange

Banned
I tend to ignore the other half the field unless I'm dropped back far enough, which is almost a ludicrous amount, to see the receiver running his route over there. It leaves me locked in to one set of receivers, but if I don't see anything happening over there I just tuck and run!

f3niks

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Troll much?

Afrikan

TheApatheticOne said:
After more time with this, despite some pretty sizable (and fixable if they choose to do so) flaws, this is pretty much settling itself in as my favorite football game this gen. The work that the community for the game is doing by recreating all 32 NFL teams is absolutely amazing. Some of the more complex logos need to be cleaned up a little, but there's already a roster download (360) out there with 20 teams completely done (logo, uniforms, helmets, field & endzone - all completely decked out), and most of them look 100% dead on, like the developer loaded it themselves.
As for the gameplay, while there are multiple things I would tweak, there's only two things that the game absolutely needs patched, and they relate to one another.

In summary, with more or less having the NFL roster now, shore up the O-Line a little bit, decrease the INTs - best football game this gen.

oh it gets better....if anyone remembers FlynnFinn who created the NFL2k5 editor to allow us to extend that great game's lifetime....well folks....looky here...

eaglesfan17 from OS is the one who started it, FlynnFinn created the GUI....
1zxqquo.jpg
[/IMG]

what this means is, it will be ALOT easier to recreate all the NFL rosters and more importantly EDIT EACH PLAYER to their NFL counterpart.

this also means maybe improving the Oline play for all teams, if the community feels that is needed......as well as lowering some settings that might make the secondary not as talented as far as all those INTs....

right now this is only for the 360, but I'm sure they will find a way to crack PS3 game saves...I believe they have done it before with COD4 and MW2.

Wowza! Last I checked I knew Flynn had talked about doing this, but I had no idea that an app was that close to being fully functional. I mean, keep the skill players ranking solid, but bump the olines up more than they should be to compensate for how weak they are, lower DB's INTs......

I am terribly excited now!

mbmonk

f3niks said:
Troll much?

That post contained the first positive remark he has made about the game in the last 2 or 3 pages. I was actually caught off guard a bit :lol

Afrikan said:
oh it gets better....if anyone remembers FlynnFinn who created the NFL2k5 editor to allow us to extend that great game's lifetime....well folks....looky here...

eaglesfan17 from OS is the one who started it, FlynnFinn created the GUI....

what this means is, it will be ALOT easier to recreate all the NFL rosters and more importantly EDIT EACH PLAYER to their NFL counterpart.

this also means maybe improving the Oline play for all teams, if the community feels that is needed......as well as lowering some settings that might make the secondary not as talented as far as all those INTs....

right now this is only for the 360, but I'm sure they will find a way to crack PS3 game saves...I believe they have done it before with COD4 and MW2.

The only concern is if the UI doesn't get updated to show you how good the team is ranked after it's been edited. So someone could have a team of all 100 rated players but the screen where you pick the team says they are 30 overall for example.

Supposedly people have already made all 100 rate players on a team and are cheesing it up online for the 360. I don't know if that is true or not.

The save game file is encrypted on the PS3 so that is what is taking some time. I am not sure if the above will be a positive or negative for the community. For people who play in leagues and the people are honest then it will be great. But for just random online, this could be a negative. I guess it's just a tool and people will use it for good and bad.

Afrikan

mbmonk said:
That post contained the first positive remark he has made about the game in the last 2 or 3 pages. I was actually caught off guard a bit :lol

The only concern is if the UI doesn't get updated to show you how good the team is ranked after it's been edited. So someone could have a team of all 100 rated players but the screen where you pick the team says they are 30 overall for example.

Supposedly people have already made all 100 rate players on a team and are cheesing it up online for the 360. I don't know if that is true or not.

The save game file is encrypted on the PS3 so that is what is taking some time. I am not sure if the above will be a positive or negative for the community. For people who play in leagues and the people are honest then it will be great. But for just random online, this could be a negative. I guess it's just a tool and people will use it for good and bad.

well the random online games wouldn't have been as authentic anyway since you would be able to see their Logos.....playing trustworthy friends and fellow forum posters should be fine........."should" is the key word here though.... I don't know what possess people to cheat sometimes :lol

Kolgar

I'm getting the hang of the demo more and this is back on my radar to purchase.

Seriously, this game delivers some real "holy shit" moments. The action is often truly great, as when you juke and stiff-arm for a big run or you make a crushing stop on a ball carrier.

Holding the left trigger to focus is a necessity, as is learning to switch players instantly to draw a bead on the ball. Offense and defense can both be quite satisfying, and I'm actually enjoying playing different positions on defense--something no other football game has encouraged me to do.

Video football needed an enema, and so I'm glad Backbreaker has come along. It's a flawed first outing, but it's also a revolution that does many things both differently and right. I'm having so much fun with the basic gameplay that I really couldn't care less that all the player models are the same or that there's nobody on the sidelines. I don't need repetitive commentary or injuries. (I actually like the spare presentation, and think that what's there looks just great.) I'm just looking for a fresh take on the game of football, and Backbreaker is certainly that.

Here's hoping for a sophomore effort next year. In the meantime, this year's version is the only football game I'm buying in 2010.

Chrange

Banned
Kolgar said:

Seriously, this game delivers some real "holy shit" moments. The action is often truly great, as when you juke and stiff-arm for a big run or you make a crushing stop on a ball carrier.

Holding the left trigger to focus is a necessity, as is learning to switch players instantly to draw a bead on the ball. Offense and defense can both be quite satisfying, and I'm actually enjoying playing different positions on defense--something no other football game has encouraged me to do.

Video football needed an enema, and so I'm glad Backbreaker has come along. It's a flawed first outing, but it's also a revolution that does many things both differently and right. I'm having so much fun with the basic gameplay that I really couldn't care less that all the player models are the same or that there's nobody on the sidelines. I don't need repetitive commentary or injuries. (I actually like the spare presentation, and think that what's there looks just great.) I'm just looking for a fresh take on the game of football, and Backbreaker is certainly that.

Here's hoping for a sophomore effort next year. In the meantime, this year's version is the only football game I'm buying in 2010.

Yeah, it's the first game in a long time where I've felt like I should be recording all the time just because something will happen that will never happen again. A great kill in MW? A wild goal in NHL 10? I can duplicate that if I try. A crushing hit in Backbreaker just won't happen that way again.

FLEABttn

Banned
In case anyone is interested, Best Buy currently has this on sale for $39.99.

I had some gift cards lying around so I just grabbed it for $15.

The M.O.B

Okay, I need Tackle Alley tips STAT. I know spinning gets you more points, but it seems a lot harder once there is more than a few guys after you, jukes seems like they slow you down more and get less points but it feels easier to make a defender miss. I keep getting tackled from behind X(

mbmonk

Kolgar said:

I about shed a tear reading that. That expresses how I feel about the game.

mbmonk

Afrikan said:
playing trustworthy friends and fellow forum posters should be fine........."should" is the key word here though.... I don't know what possess people to cheat sometimes :lol

Yea. I never got why people cheated on online sports games.

TheApatheticOne said:
Wowza! Last I checked I knew Flynn had talked about doing this, but I had no idea that an app was that close to being fully functional. I mean, keep the skill players ranking solid, but bump the olines up more than they should be to compensate for how weak they are, lower DB's INTs......

I am terribly excited now!

Yea. I didn't grasp the full use of the tool, even though you spelled it our for me :)

Eh, tonight hasnt been a good night for me and this game. Pretty much due to the points I made earlier.

Im completing every pass, to my team or the other one. The catching mechanics for the DB's should REALLY be the same as it is for the WRs. But its not. They catch EVERY bobbled ball, EVERY errant pass, and heaven forbid you throw try forcing a throw, as they will pick it off EVERY time. I wont say "precanned animation" but you throw it and you see a DB go for the pick (which is every time since they NEVER try to swat the ball), its a 100% INT.

There needs to be a difficulty mode between Pro-Medium and Pro-Hard on random form. Played earlier and won 71-0 on med., then on hard, I cant get out of the backfield on running plays, and passing is usually a sack within 1-2 seconds or a pick six (just an INT if Im lucky.)

Even when I won on med 71-0 nothing, Peyton Manning was 24/31, 310 yards, 6 TD's..... but 5 INTS. Which means only 2 incompletions the entire game for him. Thats ridiculous. Even after that game, I was unable to capture the magic again, even on medium, as my oline keeps doing matador impressions, WR dropping passes, and the AI secondary playing like a secondary of nothing but robotic Ed Reed's. Ive had some good games recently, just kinda burnt at the string of bad ones.

I love this game, but sometimes...... :lol

Kolgar

FLEABttn said:
In case anyone is interested, Best Buy currently has this on sale for $39.99.

I had some gift cards lying around so I just grabbed it for $15.

Now you done it.

BACKBREAKER GET!

mbmonk

The M.O.B said:
Okay, I need Tackle Alley tips STAT. I know spinning gets you more points, but it seems a lot harder once there is more than a few guys after you, jukes seems like they slow you down more and get less points but it feels easier to make a defender miss. I keep getting tackled from behind X(

I wish I could help MOB I get stuck at wave 19. So I am not even close to beating it.

Chrange

Banned
The M.O.B said:

I think you get more points from stiff arms actually. I usually spin off guys, and make sure you approach them from an angle so you have some options. When guys are coming up from behind, cut towards them and immediately spin in that direction as well. You'll cut in behind their dive.

Top Bottom