• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - Season 3 - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Siobhan or however you spell it needs to chill out didn't she just murder someone? Hood posing as sheriff is way lower on the morality scale. And she came on to him.
Uh, what? He did a lot more than just pose as a sheriff.

Her anger is more than justified, and she's still handling it well all things considered.

Break into a shop like danny ocean with a glass cutter to steal forza Motorsport 5 brehs.

I almost laughed when I saw that. Was that the only copy of the game at the store? Didn't she spend the afternoon checking the place out? Why not just grab a copy from the shelves? :p

That game store was the props department going "anything video game related you have, we'll take it!"

Yep, and a magazine from 10 years ago was the best that came out!

Siobhan or however you spell it needs to chill out didn't she just murder someone? Hood posing as sheriff is way lower on the morality scale. And she came on to him.

I don't about weighing it against the murder stuff, but I did feel that the judgement was a little much. This is Banshee after all. No one gets to play the morality card. That's not fun.

That Hood/Proctor fight felt really forced ... It didn't feel like the tension between the two was still there or good enough for Hood to just straight up try to murder Proctor ... I get he was trying to take him down for his girl and all, but it just didn't feel right ...

Other than that, show continues to be fucking great ...
I do kind of wish Hood would drop his beef with Proctor. Proctor really hasn't killed a person that really hasn't deserved it. He's not forcing people to buy drugs from him. Yeah sure the dude's fucking crooked, but he's not stepping on good honest people. Dude snapped when Jason Hood died, but Jason Hood was going to get killed by somebody with is behavior.

Zaph

I dunno, that Jason Hood scene was a pretty good reason to hate Proctor IMO. I can let accidentally killing the innocent mayor go, but he had a kid slaughtered for fucking his niece/fuckbuddy.

Banshee's the type of show that can only keep so many of the same threads going. It's larger-than-life nature requires breakneck speed. Rabbit went on for a season too long (and the show really felt it) and now Carrie's family bullshit is starting to feel that way too. It needs a big shake up - if Hood keeps up the fake sherif cover for another season, then Proctor or Carrie needs to go.

But yeah, the fight was totally forced to get everyone at the Cadi.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On one hand I feel like it would be a cliche if Siobhan were killed off since she just learned of Hood's secret and is angling to push him out of Banshee (which obviously can't happen since that would completely change the show). So, like, she can't survive if the writers want to keep Hood on as sheriff. Unless she sees what a good job he does of fending off Chayton and Crew and has a sudden change of heart (which is doubtful given her big speech at the end of episode four).

On the other hand, bad guys are dropping like flies and the scales need to be balanced. Billy is also probably in a lot of danger of being killed off since he's the one who killed Chayton's brother plus he's new to the show so they won't have as much of a problem killing him off and replacing him with somebody else (possibly the former neo-nazi who is conveniently sitting in the back of the police station...).

It needs a big shake up - if Hood keeps up the fake sherif cover for another season, then Proctor or Carrie needs to go.

I think Hood will keep up the fake sheriff cover until they're ready to end the show. Maybe he gets ousted at the end of season 4/early season 5 (the final season), but I don't see it happening this year. There's still a lot of material to be mined from him posing as sheriff and a still-undercover-but-not-sheriff-Hood-led-Banshee is a mighty bizarre prospect.

I dunno, that Jason Hood scene was a pretty good reason to hate Proctor IMO. I can let accidentally killing the innocent mayor go, but he had a kid slaughtered for fucking his niece/fuckbuddy.

Banshee's the type of show that can only keep so many of the same threads going. It's larger-than-life nature requires breakneck speed. Rabbit went on for a season too long (and the show really felt it) and now Carrie's family bullshit is starting to feel that way too. It needs a big shake up - if Hood keeps up the fake sherif cover for another season, then Proctor or Carrie needs to go.

But yeah, the fight was totally forced to get everyone at the Cadi.
I can live with Carrie going. I enjoy Proctor and his shenanigans too much. Though it seems like they're writing Rebecca in a way to serve as his replacement...won't get a good fight scene out of her though. Regarding Jason. Sugar warned him to leave her alone, he didn't. He doesn't really heed warnings that well, which was evidenced by most of his appearances on there. Somebody was bound to kill him eventually.

Zaph

I think Hood will keep up the fake sheriff cover until they're ready to end the show. Maybe he gets ousted at the end of season 4/early season 5 (the final season), but I don't see it happening this year. There's still a lot of material to be mined from him posing as sheriff and a still-undercover-but-not-sheriff-Hood-led-Banshee is a mighty bizarre prospect.

Absolutely, the show is named Banshee, so I don't really see how he could stick around in town with his cover blown. But what I meant was if certain things have to stay the same, it's got to be made up for in other ways with this type of show in order to keep the pace.

It feels like they've made a really big effort to tone down the sex and nudity this season. I understand they want to make those scenes more meaningful than gratuitous, but we're half way into the season and haven't even seen Hood do anything but cuddle with his now ex-girlfriend.

I'm still calling Hood/Siobhan (she's not dying so shut up!) make up sex in a future episode!! Because in Banshee there's always make up sex.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But what I meant was if certain things have to stay the same, it's got to be made up for in other ways with this type of show in order to keep the pace.

I see what you mean. I definitely think things are coming to a head with Kai's side of the show as well as with the Native Americans. I'd be surprised if those landscapes didn't look radically different next year.

Nudity and sex are really ramped up so far this season.

It feels like they've made a really big effort to tone down the sex and nudity this season.

:D

Reposting this picture because it's amazing.

eYAOQh0.jpg

My favs~

<3

Slow episode, but great. That fight was awesome. Rebecca sure is turning to evil very favorably. Officer Nazi in town. Now that Gordon is getting back into the saddle, Carrie's having her mid-life crisis.
The former nazi guy will totally prove himself during the standout and Hood will hire him. Those tattoos make it real hard to show any support for the dude though, you'll have to post a disclaimer with each pic. #edgy

Their scenes in the car were so great. :3
I was worried they were gonna have them hate each other which would be tiresome and boring. Their bonding together is much more fun.

Liked the episode and what a cliffhanger. Really excited to see what the Nazi is all about.

It's remarkable how Bunker has been on screen for about 30 seconds and he's already such a fascinating character you really want to see later on. Lots of shows can't do that in multiple seasons. Great work by the writers and the actor to pull of such a twist on the usual (and well deserved) stereotype.

She executed someone! Hood should turn in his badge as soon as she does.
It's not the killing that's bothering her, it's the fact that he's lied to her from day one. He's a completely different person than he presented himself as. (That police file was extremely extensive if you'll recall.) And as Hood surely knows, she's been through the wringer before when it comes to trust with men, so this is a huge betrayal to her.

Wiktor

Let;s be honest. The reason why Siobhan learned the truth is because Banshee universe just cant survive Hood not sleeping with that reservation cop ;)

This guy is no Stroheim. I don't think the Banshee prop department is up for a abdominal machine gun.

Then again, we did have electro gloves.
Nor is he as over the top as Stroheim. I'd be okay with him if he's the guy that puts down that fanatic Chayton.

finowns

It's not the killing that's bothering her, it's the fact that he's lied to her from day one. He's a completely different person than he presented himself as. (That police file was extremely extensive if you'll recall.) And as Hood surely knows, she's been through the wringer before when it comes to trust with men, so this is a huge betrayal to her.

I'm not saying she shouldn't feel betrayed/angry about their relationship. My annoyance is her trying to make value judgements about Hood when she herself is a murderer. Also, without Hood they don't have the muscle to police Banshee (he's going to leave his daughter in this place?!). And Hood being all docile and doe eyed is just lame and more annoying.

When I get to work tomorrow, I'll try to shop a Banshee version of the Friday panel.
That would be hilarious with Hood, Proctor and Burton. But now that I think about it Hood, Job and Sugar make a lot more sense with Hood being Jotaro, Job being Polnareff and Sugar being Joseph.

I'm not saying she shouldn't feel betrayed/angry about their relationship. My annoyance is her trying to make value judgements about Hood when she herself is a murderer. Also, without Hood they don't have the muscle to police Banshee (he's going to leave his daughter in this place?!). And Hood being all docile and doe eyed is just lame and more annoying.
I don't really see that though. If she wanted to really pass judgement, she'd expose him, but she's not going to do that. Even in her anger she recognizes how far the department has come since Hood showed up, and she wants to protect that. But at the same time, she can't just brush all these falsehoods under the rug and forgive this epic amount of lies she's been fed by him, and I think that's totally understandable.

Though I think what happens in the next episode will be a huge turning point one way or the other for their relationship.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 1 - 547K
Episode 2 - 439K
Episode 3 - 588K
Episode 4 - 662K

Second highest rated episode of the series! (L+SD)

As Ratsky, Rudo, and I were discussing in the pilot thread, looks like Greg Yaitanes is headed over to work on Quarry this Spring, so it's likely there will be a shakeup with the showrunning situation on Banshee next year. This happens for many shows once they're up and running somewhat smoothly, so I can't imagine there will be too many differences as Banshee continues.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Got a lot of press for the fight scene in ep. 3. Great to see positive ratings momentum.

I'm expecting a season 4 renewal any day now.

As Ratsky, Rudo, and I were discussing in the pilot thread, looks like Greg Yaitanes is headed over to work on Quarry this Spring, so it's likely there will be a shakeup with the showrunning situation on Banshee next year. This happens for many shows once they're up and running somewhat smoothly, so I can't imagine there will be too many differences as Banshee continues.

Oh, I forgot Yaitanes was the showrunner of Banshee. That certainly puts a bigger damper on things but as you said, the show's a well oiled machine at this point so a change in showrunner hopefully won't shake things up too much.

As long as it doesn't get "Dextered" I'll be fine.

I thought I read somewhere that Jonathan Tropper has assumed sole showrunner duties now. It was one of the many articles after episode 3.

But now I can't find it. :/

My understanding is that Tropper is the creator and lead writer, but Yaitanes handles more of the logistics and day-to-day on set. It wouldn't surprise me if those lines had blurred considerably over the years. This isn't something that I'm overly concerned about, just wanted to mention it.

My understanding is that Tropper is the creator and lead writer, but Yaitanes handles more of the logistics and day-to-day on set. It wouldn't surprise me if those lines had blurred considerably over the years. This isn't something that I'm overly concerned about, just wanted to mention it.
Ah, I found it!

Of course, the genius of Banshee lies in the way co-creator (and now sole showrunner) Jonathan Tropper feasts on outré ideas like Brantley at a buffet table.

Source

It's the only place I've come across this statement, but I wouldn't be surprised.

We may no longer see Mrs.Yaitanes in the show, the other waitress at the diner Carrie worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom