• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - Season 3 - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vert boil

First crummy episode in a long while.

Everything about that fat guy was lame, from the fatsuit to the acting to the character. The electric gloves were dumb as hell. Nola dying so soon is a waste. I hate Chayton's idiot brother storyline. Also maybe the first ep I didn't like the time cuts.

On the plus side, when that bowtied dweeb finally gets got it's gonna be some gruesome, gruesome shit.

lift1s9uwg.gif

Zaph

Just marathoned the first 3 episodes. Wasn't feeling it to begin with, mostly thanks to the disappointment of season2, but that last episode? God damn. Probably the best the show's ever been.

So glad Nola got bumped off quickly, really wasn't a fan of that character/actor. Banshee is very hit and miss with their femme fatales, both her and Rebecca just arent believable in their roles. Maybe it's their bad acting, or their young ages, but neither sell their tough personas like Carrie does.

Hoping this season focuses on Hood, the cops, the natives and the heist. Fed up hearing about Carrie's family, especially after the Rabbit storyline went on for two seasons.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I watched the latest episode 30 minutes ago and I'm still trying to process it.

Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to form a fully coherent comment.

Jesus Fucking Cockbacon.

Beware of bowties.
That reminds me. Ulrich's picture in this week's credits were of a bloody bowtie but he didn't have any scenes with Burton which I thought was weird. (Besides both of them going to the club.)

I would of though there would be a small sort of interaction between them.

So glad Nola got bumped off quickly, really wasn't a fan of that character/actor. Banshee is very hit and miss with their femme fatales, both her and Rebecca just arent believable in their roles. Maybe it's their bad acting, or their young ages, but neither sell their tough personas like Carrie does.

Or the fact she isn't a native american.

She always felt like she was slumming it. Like all her other projects never got picked up until recently.

That reminds me. Ulrich's picture in this week's credits were of a bloody bowtie but he didn't have any scenes with Burton which I thought was weird. (Besides both of them going to the club.)

Kai rarely talks to Burton though outside of telling him who to kill. They're not exactly best friends. Kai's his boss and Burton is pretty much a guard dog, granted it's a guard dog that Kai has respect for. I could be wrong on that, it's just how I read those two. Though now that I think about it, Burton does not seem like much of a talker.

Kai rarely talks to Burton though outside of telling him who to kill. They're not exactly best friends. Kai's his boss and Burton is pretty much a guard dog, granted it's a guard dog that Kai has respect for. I could be wrong on that, it's just how I read those two. Though now that I think about it, Burton does not seem like much of a talker.
I think it's deeper than that. I don't mean like a friendly chat ("so, how was that fight for your life?") but just some sort of acknowledgment. It just seems a bit odd.

I think it's deeper than that. I don't mean like a friendly chat ("so, how was that fight for your life?") but just some sort of acknowledgment. It just seems a bit odd.
I think there is a lot of respect between those two, Kai just knows what Burton is good at and it's not negotiations. I would assume Kai's the one that took him in and taught him how to handle his proclivities.

I think there is a lot of respect between those two, Kai just knows what Burton is good at and it's not negotiations. I would assume Kai's the one that took him in and taught him how to handle his proclivities.
Did you watch the Origin short about how they met? Kai saved Burton from being captive and tortured by some people.

Well, sometimes it's just hints to their psychology, state of mind, symbolism, etc.

So, it's symbolic of how important Burton is? I dunno. I hope we get more on who that guy was that was whipping Burton and how Burton and Kai met.

Alpende

Watched it yesterday and damnnnn, the episode was brutal. The Nola fight was insane, the fat dude was hilarious and I didn't really expect them to kill him off so fast. I bet Chayton is gonna be pissed off when he finds out his brother and Nola are dead.

It's crazy to me how unknown this show is. People should be going nuts about. Nerds should be wearing Banshee t-shirts and obnoxiously quoting it at every opportunity. If I say the Burton vs. Nola, half the internet should start arguing with the other half on who should of won. Fat mob bosses should retrofit their semi-trucks into offices on wheels out of tribute. (Sans the trap door maybe.) All hackers should incorporate drag into their everyday lives.

That being said, anyone have the ratings from the last episode?

Siegcram

It's crazy to me how unknown this show is. People should be going nuts about. Nerds should be wearing Banshee t-shirts and obnoxiously quoting it at every opportunity. If I say the Burton vs. Nola, half the internet should start arguing with the other half on who should of won. Fat mob bosses should retrofit their semi-trucks into offices on wheels out of tribute. (Sans the trap door maybe.) All hackers should incorporate drag into their everyday lives.

That being said, anyone have the ratings from the last episode?
People don't have Cinemax.

Throwing this out there, but after watching the fight again last night, I'm starting to think that Nola would have won had they not ended up on the hood (lol) of the car.

Nola pretty much kicked Burton's arse and he got through the fight by sheer luck.

The illusion of this unstoppable wrecking machine has been shattered. He wouldn't last a hot second against the likes of Chayton or an angry/fired up Hood.

Incredible fight though. The action inside the car was fantastic. Very well shot. Movie directors need to take note. This is how you film a fight scene. Nine of that shaky can garbage...

Throwing this out there, but after watching the fight again last night, I'm starting to think that Nola would have won had they not ended up on the hood (lol) of the car.

Nola pretty much kicked Burton's arse and he got through the fight by sheer luck.

The illusion of this unstoppable wrecking machine has been shattered. He wouldn't last a hot second against the likes of Chayton or an angry/fired up Hood.

Incredible fight though. The action inside the car was fantastic. Very well shot. Movie directors need to take note. This is how you film a fight scene. Nine of that shaky can garbage...
Definitely don't agree with that. Nola is obviously faster, had a weapon from the start, and also had the element of surprise, and she still lost because she didn't capitalize on any of those successfully. (Her cockiness/pride was a detractor too.) As soon as Burton took the fight into the car (limiting Nola's range of movement and speed), he brought the fight to equal footing. Burton fought smarter and utilized his surroundings more, and that's why he won. (His abnormally high pain threshold also played a big part.)

I've watched the fight five times so far. @_@

Umm, but Nola kicked the crap out of Hood the one time they actually fought.

IbukiLordSA

New episode was amazing, watched it early Saturday morning and my jaw was half open most of the time.

Sad about Nola, she was one of my favs and wanted to see where the story might take here.

Show is so much better than the 2nd season already, high hopes for the rest of the season.

Siegcram

Definitely don't agree with that. Nola is obviously faster, had a weapon from the start, and also had the element of surprise, and she still lost because she didn't capitalize on any of those successfully. (Her cockiness/pride was a detractor too.) As soon as Burton took the fight into the car (limiting Nola's range of movement and speed), he brought the fight to equal footing. Burton fought smarter and utilized his surroundings more, and that's why he won. (His abnormally high pain threshold also played a big part.)

Plus he didn't even have his glasses off until they got shattered. That's like a 50% debuff right there for the entire beginning of the fight.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So I just put myself together well enough to comment on the latest episode.

Yowza.

Random musings:

• That was probably the most Bansheey episode ever. Everything was proudly and raucously over the top, some times to ridiculous extents.
  • As a matter of fact, the episode was out of control I'm not sure if I hate it or I love it. While I'm glad it embraced its madness and went all in, at times it felt a bit too comic-booky for my tastes. Case in point, the fat mobster.
  • Burton and Nola's fight... oh my fucking God. That was probably the most amazing fight ever seen on TV since Deadwood's infamously eye-popping bare knuckles duel. It was just incredible. Not just in terms of brutality, but also cinematography. It felt as I was watching an Asian martial arts flick for a moment. It was so fucking relentless and brutal and it made a tremendous job at showing Burton as the human TANK that he is.
  • Nola, NOOOOOOOOOOOH. I will miss her sexy ass and fiery attitude. I feel like the writers lost a great opportunity to make something really cool with her besides beating the snot out of Burton, but at the same time I have to commend them for having the balls to off her just like that. Goddamn.
  • Chayton snapped a deer's neck just like that. I loled.
  • PLATINUMM'S GLORIOUS RETURN. Leave it to her to drop mad truth bombs about pussy in the midst of a lap dance. Work it.
  • Despite having a scene located at a strip club, no nipples were spotted during the entirety of the episode. Wut.
  • While I disliked the fat mobster, his death made it up for its awful fat suit and then some.
  • Electric gloves were silly and too comic-booky.
  • Burton got a tomahawk embedded in his chest (that scene was cool as fuck, btw) and he sutured it like a flesh wound. Cuz.
  • Job and Sugar continue to be one of the most amusing on screen couples in recent times. Their banter is just amazing. You can tell those two have lots of fun on set.
  • On a similar note, Denis O’Hare was very enjoyable as Special Agent Robert Phillips. I hope we see more of him.
  • Siobhan. Gorl. I feel for you. But you know that outlaw D is too good to resist.
  • So... is Kay going to choke a bitch or two? They've made two attempts on him at his own house and now attacked one of his business. This surely won't stand for long, but I don't think Burton is in good shape to deliver his vengeance.
  • I really don't think the neonazi subplot has come to an end. Something is afoot.

I feel like I need to sit down for a little bit.

Hood gets his ass beaten blue on the reg. If Burton goes off on him, he's dead meat. Burton vs. Chayton would be a different kind of fight, though. Both are tanks and good fighters, although Chayton tends to get too cocky for his own good, which was probably Nola's deadly mistake.

Alpende

I also did like how we got to see some of Burton's background trough those flashbacks. Dude's been trough some shit.

I feel like there was some arrogance on Burton's part too. He had to have known that there would be more attacks against Rebecca and Proctor and didn't think to arm himself?

And I maintain that Burton only won out of sheer luck. There was very little in the way of actual skill shown by Burton. His main (and really only) skill seems to be taking an extreme amount of damage and still keep going.

Nola showed tremendous skill during the fight. She's the one who appeared to show an awareness for her surroundings, kept the fight close as she's a close fighter and made sure to inflict what would, on any other person, be debilitating injuries.

Burton got through with sheer luck of the car emblem and his ability to take an extreme amount of damage.

Umm, but Nola kicked the crap out of Hood the one time they actually fought.

After he'd fought his way through some guards and still wasn't fully healed from the events of the season 1 finale.

Hood gets his ass beaten blue on the reg. If Burton goes off on him, he's dead meat. Burton vs. Chayton would be a different kind of fight, though. Both are tanks and good fighters, although Chayton tends to get too cocky for his own good, which was probably Nola's deadly mistake.

I don't know, I feel we've only seen Hood go all out once (the fight against the cage fighter in season 1), most of the time he's just reacting to events he finds himself in. His fight against Chayton is one example where he completely failed to use his skills that were hard learned in prison, maybe he was just in awe at the beast that was in front of him but he failed to show the skill and cunning he displayed against the cage fighter.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 1 - 547K
Episode 2 - 439K
Episode 3 - 588K

The most recent episode was the second/third highest rated episode of the series. :)

And I maintain that Burton only won out of sheer luck. There was very little in the way of actual skill shown by Burton. His main (and really only) skill seems to be taking an extreme amount of damage and still keep going.

Nola showed tremendous skill during the fight. She's the one who appeared to show an awareness for her surroundings, kept the fight close as she's a close fighter and made sure to inflict what would, on any other person, be debilitating injuries.

Burton got through with sheer luck of the car emblem and his ability to take an extreme amount of damage.
Sorry, don't agree with you. Burton started the fight at a huge disadvantage and still won by using his smarts. He took the fight into the car. He went for the vital points when he had the opportunity. (Remember, he even stabbed Nola in the neck with the scalpel before using the hood ornament. He knew what he was targeting.) And he saw the opportunity the statuette presented and capitalized on it. If anything, Nola was too set on her initial plan of attack and didn't adapt as needed. Why did she attack Burton's stomach when he seemed completely vulnerable at the end of the fight? She should of went for the direct kill right then, but she didn't and that cost her dearly.

I'm not trying to downplay Nola's abilities. I think she's an excellent fighter and I really like her as a character, but she made a lot of mistakes in the fight.

Ratings:

Episode 1 - 547K
Episode 2 - 439K
Episode 3 - 588K

The most recent episode was the second/third highest rated episode of the series. :)
:D

Klocker

Just caught it... holy shit.. best banshee yet.

That bowtie fight scene was awesome, and then it just kept on giving, even if campy ...Job and Sugar and then the truck scene... Hood saving the FBI agent all very good.

Character Speculation...
So I'm expecting the new deputy might get replaced by the reformed nazi guy sooner than later. He may not be able to reconcile his kill

Just caught it... holy shit.. best banshee yet.

That bowtie fight scene was awesome, and then it just kept on giving, even if campy ...Job and Sugar and then the truck scene... Hood saving the FBI agent all very good.

Character Speculation...
So I'm expecting the new deputy might get replaced by the reformed nazi guy sooner than later. He may not be able to reconcile his kill

No, they should totally team up and be the Banshee version of Rush Hour dudes.

3313498-rush_hour,0.jpg

"He's a reformed Neo-Nazi with a dark past. He's a righteous Indian cop with a chip on his shoulder. Together, they are the law of Banshee.

Banshee Bros."

It's not stranger then a master thief with no name who picked up a badge from a dead man teaming up (sometimes) with an Amish kung fu master.

Wiktor

So I finally got a chance to watch it..and Jesus Fucking Christ. I think that was the very best episode the show ever had.
The fight was insane, both in brutality and how well it was shot. And that fatality, with the visual of Burton;s hand slowly going inside her throat. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
And the rest of episode was great too. From the fatman and his beautiful demise, through Hood displaying his usual people's person skills and ending up with him saving that FBI agent, showing that in the end he's still a good guy.
Plus that ending with his secret out.

Amazing. Amazing episode. MORE PLEASE!

Wiktor

Nah. Hood does stand a decent chance against Burton. Most of his fights are with him acting as a cop and not aiming at killing anyone. If he goes berserk he's beast. He's not the most ruthless or biggest muscle-wise, but he's propably the most skilled and resourceful one. If there's ever a fight with Burton I expect Hood will end up looking like a piece of mangled meat, but he will come out on top.

Nah. Hood does stand a decent chance against Burton. Most of his fights are with him acting as a cop and not aiming at killing anyone. If he goes berserk he's beast. He's not the most ruthless or biggest muscle-wise, but he's propably the most skilled and resourceful one. If there's ever a fight with Burton I expect Hood will end up looking like a piece of mangled meat, but he will come out on top.
Hood isn't the most skilled fighter, but he's probably the dirtiest fighter. Between his fight with the MMA fighter in season 1, the Proctor fight and the Albino fight, not to mention using a chair to incapacitate the fat man it's proven that Hood will use anything in the vicinity as a weapon. I think he even used a phone against Proctor.

Ristlager

This has to be the greatest television episode ever. My god the fight is The Raid level of choreography/execution/filming with long shots and a fantastic finale. Loved everything about the Hood storyline as well and I love the humanisaton of Kai this season.

This has to be the greatest television episode ever. My god the fight is The Raid level of choreography/execution/filming with long shots and a fantastic finale. Loved everything about the Hood storyline as well and I love the humanisaton of Kai this season.
It's been known since last season that Kai loves his mom, he'll do anything for her since she actually acknowledges him. I can see Kai burying his father himself in some random hole in the ground and then spitting in it. I honestly consider Kai to be quite human.
That sadsack is lucky to be in the OP to begin with.
I don't say this about most Banshee characters but Gordon needs to put the bottle down.

I don't say this about most Banshee characters but Gordon needs to put the bottle down.
Or they could just put Gordon down. Unless he gets some sort of exciting new storyline soon, he's just dragging things down.

I usually don't advocate for characters to get bumped off, but I really don't know where they're going with him.

Or they could just put Gordon down. Unless he gets some sort of exciting new storyline soon, he's just dragging things down.

I usually don't advocate for characters to get bumped off, but I really don't know where they're going with him.
I'd combat that with that would turn the kids into orphans, but with Gordon's bullshit they're pretty much orphans any how. Just get rid of him, he barely does anything outside of break Hood's balls as well. His connection to Carrie is most likely the only reason why Hood didn't break both his arms.

Technically, he represents the guilt that Hood feels with the whole "father vs. biological father" thing. If Gordon wasn't around, Hood probably would be with Carrie (season 2) and would have moved into the house and stuff. It would have changed the complexion of the show entirely.

He's a necessary evil to make the show what it is. Not every in Banshee is who you want them to be, just like IRL. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom