• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Well...I've been practicing and I've gotten much better at the Combat Challenge's. I no longer button mash as much as I used to. Had to go to youtube to see what I was doing wrong. I still need a few though. I've got 2/3 medals for Shock and Awe, 2/3 for Sewer Bat (Extreme), and 0/3 for both Shock and Awe (Extreme) and Rumble In The Jungle (Extreme).

Still think though that it was stupid tying achievements to something that's supposed to be optional. I hate when devs do that. Like when a single player game has mp tacked on and the devs tie achievements to it just to make you play it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, the combat challenges are stupid hard to get Gold on, the harder versions especally. They're the only thing preventing me from 100%'ing my normal save and getting the combat gold and 100% achievements, to earn my Platinum. :/

IIRC, you can have Batman "bounce" around punching people that should be somewhat effective for the combo building, which is key to the combat free-flow challenges.

TheSeks said:
Yeah, the combat challenges are stupid hard to get Gold on, the harder versions especally. They're the only thing preventing me from 100%'ing my normal save and getting the combat gold and 100% achievements, to earn my Platinum. :/

IIRC, you can have Batman "bounce" around punching people that should be somewhat effective for the combo building, which is key to the combat free-flow challenges.
The problem is that if you make one mistake (i.e. one lucky gets one hit in so you lose your dark knight bonus or you press the wrong button but don't get hit losing your flawless freeflow bonus) you have to reset and start at the first round.

Henchmen21 said:
Still think though that it was stupid tying achievements to something that's supposed to be optional. I hate when devs do that.

They wouldn't be very good achievements if you weren't actually ACHIEVING anything.

Ledsen

Rodney McKay said:
They wouldn't be very good achievements if you weren't actually ACHIEVING anything.

Exactly. Optional stuff is the whole POINT of achievements. Multiplayer stuff is pretty stupid though since the community could be dead and then you can't get the achievements.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I plan to start this game this week sometime. Kinda weird that it's considered an 'easy achievements' game on easyxboxachievements website. Looking through the list it seems quite hard to 100%

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Henchmen21 said:
Well...I've been practicing and I've gotten much better at the Combat Challenge's. I no longer button mash as much as I used to. Had to go to youtube to see what I was doing wrong. I still need a few though. I've got 2/3 medals for Shock and Awe, 2/3 for Sewer Bat (Extreme), and 0/3 for both Shock and Awe (Extreme) and Rumble In The Jungle (Extreme).

Still think though that it was stupid tying achievements to something that's supposed to be optional. I hate when devs do that. Like when a single player game has mp tacked on and the devs tie achievements to it just to make you play it.
Rumble in the Jungle Extreme took me 150 tries at least.

Finally got all 3 for Shock and Awe (regular). Didn't think I was going to considering I only had a little over 15,000 pts. by the end of round 3. Round 4 though I wailed on them with a 37 hit combo without getting hit leaving me with 28k by the end with the bonuses barely putting me over with 30250

The Extreme levels of Sewer Bat, Shock and Awe, and Rumble In The Jungle can fuck off and die. I just spent the last 3 hours and the most I was able to get was 2/3 for Sewer Bat. I came close to 3/3'ing Sewer Bat with 48k but died on the 4th round.

LosDaddie

Banned
FINALLY started playing this gem and I love it! :D

I got to the batcave in Arkham last night before quitting for the night. Great graphics, great audio and I like the stealth parts too. I fully upgraded the armor first and now I'm going to work on upgrading the combos & stuff.

It's easy to see why this game was GotY-material.

LosDaddie

Banned
Are there some Riddler Trophies that you just can't get? I finished the short Sewer level last night as there were 2 trophies I probably wasted 30min on and still couldn't get. :(

TheOddOne

LosDaddie said:
Are there some Riddler Trophies that you just can't get? I finished the short Sewer level last night as there were 2 trophies I probably wasted 30min on and still couldn't get. :(
Just keep playing till you get all the upgrades. Also you can continue playing when the game finishes.

LosDaddie

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Just keep playing till you get all the upgrades. Also you can continue playing when the game finishes.

What path do you recommend on upgrades? I already fully upgraded the armor, the one upgrade where you tie-up enemies, and the first combat one.

TheOddOne

LosDaddie said:
What path do you recommend on upgrades? I already fully upgraded the armor, the one upgrade where you tie-up enemies, and the first combat one.
I should have edited my post, but I meant you'll get all the gadgets before you finish the game. After you finish it, go back with all the tools and you will have not problem getting 'em.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Rodney McKay said:
Might be time for MS to roll out Entitlements.

Also, just picked this game up off my backlog. So good. The graphics still hold up amazingly well. UE3.0 is so cash on the PC.

Well I finally got Sewer Bat (Extreme) with 70,000. Shock and Awe (Extreme) was actually easier than regular version. Now I just need Rumble In The Jungle (Extreme). I can get 2 medals on it but the 3rd one is difficult.

Red

Henchmen21 said:
Well I finally got Sewer Bat (Extreme) with 70,000. Shock and Awe (Extreme) was actually easier than regular version. Now I just need Rumble In The Jungle (Extreme). I can get 2 medals on it but the 3rd one is difficult.
They're great challenges, but it's pretty frustrating when Batman whiffs an attack. The combat challenges are intense to the point of bringing out all the flaws in combat.

LosDaddie

Banned
Getting ready to finish the campaign tonight. I stopped last night right before I entered the Botanical Garden to fight Ivy.

Really great game. I don't think I can find any flaw with it.

LosDaddie

Banned
thelurkinghorror said:
We are exactly in the same portion of the game. Last night I turned off my 360 when i was in front the botanical garden. Such an amazing experience!

Nice! yeah, I'm really enjoying the game, but I don't think I'll play much of the Challenges though. Need to move onto other games in the backlog.

Have you been searching for the Riddler Trophies too? I got the 55% achievement last night

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I finally got it!

Was able to win all the combat challenges which gave me my final two achievements. I kicked ass on the first two rounds of Rumble Extreme. Got 40k by the 2nd round so all I had to do was survive the last 2 to win. Final score on that challenge was 63090.

LosDaddie said:
Getting ready to finish the campaign tonight. I stopped last night right before I entered the Botanical Garden to fight Ivy.

Really great game. I don't think I can find any flaw with it.
I finished it on Sunday in one sitting, I couldn't put the controller down, seriously. Started late at night on Saturday and was done by noon on Sunday. Didn't even feel tired. This is the best game I have played in a long time. So awesome. I suck at doing combos (I don't think I ever got past the 20-hits mark) but still had a lot of fun. Got the PS3 GOTY edition and I'm planning on doing some of the challenges to properly learn the combo system and try another run on hard and another run on easy with 3D on.

Am I the only one who spent most of the game in detective mode? I was chasing some riddler trophies yesterday and I realized I haven't seen most of the textures in the game.

ArjanN

FunkyPajamas said:
Am I the only one who spent most of the game in detective mode? I was chasing some riddler trophies yesterday and I realized I haven't seen most of the textures in the game.

It's a fairly common complaint. I found I had to remind myself to turn it off sometimes, because there's no real downside aside from not seeing the pretty nice graphics.

ArjanN said:
It's a fairly common complaint. I found I had to remind myself to turn it off sometimes, because there's no real downside aside from not seeing the pretty nice graphics.
Oh, it's not really a complaint to be honest. I wanted to explore and find most of the items on my first playthrough so I knew what I was doing. I just realized at the end that I had missed most of the textures because of it. I'm planning on not using it that much from now on. It was vital for me to use while in stealth mode, fighting and pretty much walking around to see if I ran into stuff, I loved it.

LosDaddie

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
I finished it on Sunday in one sitting, I couldn't put the controller down, seriously. Started late at night on Saturday and was done by noon on Sunday. Didn't even feel tired. This is the best game I have played in a long time. So awesome. I suck at doing combos (I don't think I ever got past the 20-hits mark) but still had a lot of fun. Got the PS3 GOTY edition and I'm planning on doing some of the challenges to properly learn the combo system and try another run on hard and another run on easy with 3D on.

Damn, ironmanned the game! LOL! This is definitely one of those games that suck you in. It's taken me about a week to get to this point, but there were a few nights where I didn't notice how fast time flew by.

I also rarely got over a 20hit combo. I think my highest is 28 hit. I won't re-play the campaign, but I'll probably give some of the challenges a try.

FunkyPajamas said:

If there was one flaw with the game, this would be it. I had to remind myself to turn off Detective Mode to see the pretty graphics.

Otherwise, the game is flawless. The campaign is challenging & lengthy and there's plenty to do (challenges) after finished it.

Steroyd

Awesome game, took my time with it, but still completed it fairly quickly despite having a huge backlog.

I'm re-playing the game on hard, and while playing it I'm re-using my completed save to find the missing riddles I missed out on the first time, the structure of the game is metroid-esque, and I really can't fault the game other than what people mention of the detective mode making me miss out on the graphics, which isn't really a solid complaint.

Love what they've done to the hard mode, instead of the typical harder to kill enemies, plus easier to be killed combo they took away the counter indicator, I have now become one with the fighting system, only niggle with that is that it's a pain not being indicated as to when the taser and knife criminals start attacking me... the Harley Quin part is going to be a bitch.

iirate

I think it helped that my first (and second) runs of the game were each on hard. By the time that I got to the later challenges, I was almost disappointed that I could occasionally mess up and still get gold quite easily. Especially on the later challenges, I found myself restarting attempts that probably would get me gold out of frustration of some mistake I had made. Eventually, on one or two of the challenges, I got enough points to get gold with 2 mediocre rounds and one really good one. This wasn't even using the incredibly cheesy (IMO) tricks I saw on youtube.

Your first priority should always be to not get hit. Leap away from the action often, and don't let yourself get surrounded. Alongside this, if you aren't evading, you should always be attacking. Both of these points are probably incredibly obvious to anyone familiar with this game, but the basics are what they are for a reason. Beyond that, the best advice I can give is to find a routine that works for you utilizing as many of your tools as possible. If you can open a match removing several foes while utilizing as many different tools as you have access to (in order to build your combat multiplier), then you can relax the rest of the fight, relying on your instant takedowns to finish the job.

It has been a while since I did the challenges, but to the best of my memory, here's how I'd open a fight, assuming a large crowd. I'd first build my combo to 5 (just striking, and countering as necessary), and instant takedown the most problematic thug. I'd then leap to safety, triple batarang 3 thugs, claw a 4th, then ground takedown the furthest thug from me, assuring that the others can't reach me in time. From there, I just need to cape stun once, and I'll have maximized my combo multiplier. Assuming you don't break your combo, you'll have no problems reaching gold under these circumstances.

Steroyd

I would like to give a big fuck you to the riddler, he has single handedly goaded me into getting 99.99% of the riddles done, after I've completed the game, that smarmy sod. :mad:

These incomplete question mark puzzles are annoying as hell.

Leunam

The only one that gave me a hard time was the one in the sewers where you can't grapple hook onto anything. It took a really long time to figure out and it was one of the last ones I did.

Steroyd

Nemesis121 said:
I am playing it again on Hard.....I suggest getting the HP upgrades first....

I'd suggest getting the combo upgrades first, won't lose health if you don't get hit, and the special combo moves helps you not get hurt, when you remember to use them.

iirate

Yeah, I upgrade anything that can give me another modifier first, then the rest of the combat stuff, then gadgets and, finally, health.

sn00zer

Just started playing this for the first time....didnt click at all until
you get to explore the island for the first time
now im loving it
heres a cool little easter egg I found Silent Hill anybody?
area is right after you first get hit with scarecrow gas in the elevator
6cJ4s.jpg

EDIT: The area here has the wheel still spinning on the wheel chair and the mechanically noises are abnormally loud

Melchiah

I got this game by coincidence, as Silent Hill Homecoming was sold out at Play.com, so my girlfriend got AA instead for Yule. I wouldn't necessarily have gotten it otherwise, as I didn't really like the demo that much. I'm glad that I did though, as I've really enjoyed the experience. Although there were some needlessly frustrating parts:
- Jumping in Scarecrow battles; too often Batman does the roll instead.
- The last battle was beyond annoying. There sure as hell should have been a checkpoint in mid-battle. The abundance of henchmen in boss battles was generally annoying.

Just found and solved the last riddles and revealed the spirit of Amadeus Arkham,
and found the secret room in the warden's office
. Now I'm pretty much done with the game, the only thing that remains is trying the challenge modes. I'm not even going to aim for 100%, as it would mean completing some frustrating combat missions, and playing the game through again on hard difficulty. That's not my idea of entertainment, unlike solving the riddles.

I wish you could reach 100% without completing some über-frustrating missions, and playing the game again on hard. Not everyone is playing the game on normal, yet they get 100% if they only complete the hard mode, eventhough they haven't fully completed the game. Isn't that a contradiction? I think the platinum trophy should be left for those willing to frustrate themselves to no end, and give us who like to play for pure entertainment our 100% even sometimes. =/

parasight

Finally got around to getting this game. Played like a madman the past 2 days and 100% the game on Medium in about 16 hours or so. The challenges were tough, but very fun when you start to string things together. The combat in this game feels like a much more refined Assassins Creed. What a great game. Only one achievement left to get for beating the game on Hard which I'll probably do soon. The story was so good that you don't even notice how long you've been playing, so when it's over it feels too short. Love the Riddler stuff too. So much little things, like nods to other villains and characters. Definitely my favorite part of the game though has the be every Scarecrow encounter. They are just masterfully done.
The scene where you walk through the halls as it transforms into the night of Bruce's parents' murder was amazing.

Cannot wait for Arkham City.

Melchiah said:
I wish you could reach 100% without completing some über-frustrating missions, and playing the game again on hard. Not everyone is playing the game on normal, yet they get 100% if they only complete the hard mode, eventhough they haven't fully completed the game. Isn't that a contradiction? I think the platinum trophy should be left for those willing to frustrate themselves to no end, and give us who like to play for pure entertainment our 100% even sometimes. =/

So those who got the platinum should get a what? 200%?

Melchiah

Dreamgazer said:
So those who got the platinum should get a what? 200%?

Like I said, platinum for those who are willing to endure frustration and play the games on hard, and perform the more demanding combat missions. 100% for everything else.

sn00zer

So just finished this game......
WTF....this game should not be as good as it is. Two totally different play styles that are constantly switching back and forth (straight brawler and super stealth). An unwieldy amount of gadgets that I was actually using all of. Its has at least 5 villians each of which is given enough screen time to completely flesh them out. There are about 40 characters represented in some way. Most of the character plot is told through sound files (which are really amazing). Its a goddamn Batman game.

Wow. just wow. Also the Scarecrow sequences are some of the best gaming moments ever and deserve their own thread.
The lead up with just a quick spit of gas before every major scene just set the scenes up perfectly. You knew the second you opened the next door you were not walking down a normal corridor. It was also how shockingly different these sequences were from the rest of the game, visually and gameplay style...they just worked so well. And the final sequence where you play as the Joker going through the opening sequence was genius

Also really like how all the villains acted towards each other, not one of them seemed wedged in for the sake of having a villain, they each had an important role in the game and you could tell there was some bad blood between most of them.

The only frustrating part about getting the platinum trophy was getting all the combat challenge medals. The hard difficulty wasn't too bad, but I guess after completing every combat challenge it wouldn't be as difficult.

Melchiah

sn00zer said:
Wow. just wow. Also the Scarecrow sequences are some of the best gaming moments ever and deserve their own thread.
The lead up with just a quick spit of gas before every major scene just set the scenes up perfectly. You knew the second you opened the next door you were not walking down a normal corridor. It was also how shockingly different these sequences were from the rest of the game, visually and gameplay style...they just worked so well. And the final sequence where you play as the Joker going through the opening sequence was genius

The most startling thing was just before the last encounter, when
the screen went awry, and I thought my PS3 was dying.

I loved all the buildup to Croc, but wished there had been more of him.

Steroyd

Melchiah said:

That part and the part where
Joker shoots you in the head, then the game over screen pops up with the tip "use middle stick to dodge bullet" was Psycho Mantis levels of epic wtf.

Twas nicely done.

Melchiah said:

I loved all the buildup to Croc, but wished there had been more of him.
Haha I thought the same thing

Melchiah

Steroyd said:
That part and the part where
Joker shoots you in the head, then the game over screen pops up with the tip "use middle stick to dodge bullet" was Psycho Mantis levels of epic wtf.

Twas nicely done.

That one was great too, as was
the other batman gnawing a rat
afterwards.

Mr Nightman said:
Haha I thought the same thing

I was afraid someone would answer, there was nothing like that in the game. =)

Siegfried

Batman was such an awesome game that I 1000 it 3 times.

The normal version on the 360 when it came out. the normal version on PC when it was cheap at GFWL and the GotY version on PC a bit later when it was deal of the week on steam.

Now I just have to get the GotY version on the 360 before Arkham 2 launches. :p

goldenpp72

I just recently started playing this a few days ago.. and I love it! I have a question though, is there a point of no return? I'd like to beat the game and still get the riddler challenges done, but if I can't i want to know. Thanks!

Top Bottom