• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
KeeSomething said:
No, I'm talking about when he flashes into another character and then back. That hooded figure.

I'm pretty sure it's the Scarecrow himself.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
KeeSomething said:
That... may be right. Thank you. I can now sleep easy tonight.

No problem. Took me a couple tries of trying to purposely spot the second Batman morphed to spot Scarecrow. It would have bugged me if I had never spotted it.

I finally beat the game recently, twice in fact. Once on normal, and then hard to complete the trophies. I enjoyed the game a lot and now I think I'll be buying Arkham City day one. Getting all of the medals in the challenge rooms was tough, though. Shock and Awe on extreme pissed me off so much.

The Joker challenge rooms are pretty fun too, and I managed to get ranked 30th in the final stealth Joker mission. The platinum wasn't too difficult to obtain, and it actually was pretty fun to get them all (when they weren't filling me with rage).

Tried out the new Spiderman game the other day, and the stealth sections made me wanna play Arkham again. I had beat it on 360 back when it came out.

Since then, I've purchased a kickass gaming PC, so I picked it up on PC. Holy shit this game so prety and smooth on PC! I cranked it to the max and it runs great. Some of the faces look a little funny close up, but other than that....amazing.

I thought the console version was outstanding, but playing this on a PC with a 360 controller is teriffic. I'm having just as much fun the 2nd time though. So glad I bought it again.

Drakken

Just beat this for the first time. Really, really enjoyed it. Super impressed, particularly with the atmosphere, all the backstory stuff (interviews, arkham chronicles, character bios) and especially the voice acting.

venom2124 said:
Right off the Bat (sorry), I wasn't a fan of the exaggerated character designs. The atmosphere won me over though, and it was a thrill when the island opened up for exploration. Too many amazing moments to name, but the Crime Alley segment definitely stands out. Little details, like finding the Great White Shark's parts in a jar, helped make this game something special. Thinking back, the only thing I was unhappy about in the first 80% of the game was the handling of Bane. Dini took Batman's most strategic enemy and made him a dumb thug. A dumb thug that needed backup no less. I really was disgusted to see the Batman and Robin Bane. Other than that terrible boss fight, it was a great ride until Poison Ivy showed up.

I hate Poison Ivy. No other way to put it. She's the female Aquaman. Instead of fish, she controls plants. Get the fuck out of here with that. I was annoyed with pods, not because they were troublesome, but because they were a waste of time. Squads of Joker goons should have populated the grounds of the Asylum that late in the game, not immobile plants. Ivy's boss fight was a waste as well. It actually felt like a wannabe Contra boss. And of course she needed backup. I could have tolerated Ivy's whole terrible section of the game if the final boss ended strong. It did not. More of the same, two titans and more backup. Then the kicker. The Incredible Hulk, I mean Joker. Worst designed boss that I can currently think of. He too needed backup. The standout villain encounters, Croc and the Scarecrow in particular, were soley against the villain. No goons needed.

For me, the game seemed to change tone with Ivy's appearance on. While not as dark as the graphic novel Arkham Asylum, it borrowed many elements from the book. All that was thrown out and it felt more like a cartoon tone. Lighter with less menace. I guess Joker's grand scheme, an army of monsters, helped contribute to its cartoon feel. I would have much preferred the Joker have no distinct scheme, merely wanting to trap Batman in the madhouse to prove that the Dark Knight is as insane as his enemies. As I mentioned earlier, some of my disappointment would have been erased if the final boss was strong. I personally feel the devs should have stuck to the graphic novel and put in a second appearance from Croc as the last physical encounter. Fighting Croc on Arkham Asylum's roof would have been an epic ending. Anyone that has read the book can attest to the awesomeness of that fight. And of course, Joker would factor into the ending, just as he does in the book.

I'm aware I sound like I hated the game, but I really did like it. So much fun and such great atmosphere. It's just unfortunate the last quarter or so of the game is so much weaker than the rest.

Gotta agree on these comments. The game kind of slipped away as the end approached.

Also, having to frequently switch into Detective Mode was annoying. I realize you don't have to use it (save for when you're tracking something), but if you want to find all the secrets and such you pretty much do. I felt like I had to look around in Detective Mode each time I entered a new room or area, and that took me out of the game a bit. And if you're in a room with a bunch of armed henchmen, you have to use it almost the whole time to keep track of where they are as you pick them off so you don't end up getting spotted and shot by the others.

CrankyJay

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
I finally beat the game recently, twice in fact. Once on normal, and then hard to complete the trophies. I enjoyed the game a lot and now I think I'll be buying Arkham City day one. Getting all of the medals in the challenge rooms was tough, though. Shock and Awe on extreme pissed me off so much.

The Joker challenge rooms are pretty fun too, and I managed to get ranked 30th in the final stealth Joker mission. The platinum wasn't too difficult to obtain, and it actually was pretty fun to get them all (when they weren't filling me with rage).

Yeah, just finished the game. Sort of pissed I did it on Normal and not Hard to save myself another run-through of the game.

Ledsen

So is anyone else afraid to play this game (at least on 360) because of the "corrupt save" bug? It happened to me, save file erased when I was very near the end, I was pissed to say the least. At first I thought I shut it off during autosave, but after googling I found out that it happened to many people when they were just standing around in the same place and then shut off, or even people who did the correct thing and backed out to the menu first! I want to play the game to the end but I'm afraid I'll just be hit with the bug again :(

shuyin_

Banned
Got it for about ~11 euros on a GamersGate sale, last weekend. Too bad i don't have time to play it yet, as i'm too busy with Company of Heroes :D

Try the demo though, before buying it and i absolutly loved it. Good times this Xmas :D

CrankyJay said:
Yeah, just finished the game. Sort of pissed I did it on Normal and not Hard to save myself another run-through of the game.

I loved the game a lot, so I didn't mind playing again. It was a lot of fun.

seat

So is the Game of the Year edition really worth it? That edition seems to be a bit pricier than the standard at most places, and I'd like to get it on PC but can't find the GOTY edition on Amazon (I have gift card credit with them).

shuyin_

Banned
seat said:
So is the Game of the Year edition really worth it? That edition seems to be a bit pricier than the standard at most places, and I'd like to get it on PC but can't find the GOTY edition on Amazon (I have gift card credit with them).
Don't know if it's worth it, but you just missed a discount 66% for Batman AA GOTY edition on gamersgate.com. I bought it for ~11 euros :D

Just playing this for the first time, just got out of Intensive Treatment and into what I presume is the hub (outdoor area, can access other wings of the island). But I missed some secrets on the way (didn't know I was supposed to destroy the Joker teeth for one thing) and can't get back in. Do I get to go back later?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Leatherface said:
Rocksteady + Metroid= bliss

Make this shit happen Nintendo (wait for HD system though plz)!

Why saddle Rocksteady with that shallow oh shit I lost my weapons again franchise? They do Batman and they do it better than anyone. This is their home.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
faceless007 said:
Just playing this for the first time, just got out of Intensive Treatment and into what I presume is the hub (outdoor area, can access other wings of the island). But I missed some secrets on the way (didn't know I was supposed to destroy the Joker teeth for one thing) and can't get back in. Do I get to go back later?
Yeah.

TripOpt55

I just finished this a few days ago. It's a very good game. I need 7 more riddler challenges and then I'll be onto the challenges to work towards the platinum. I will need to play hard mode though. I'll do that if I finish everything else.

Massa

reKon said:
how hard is this game on hard? Like God of War III Titan hard?

Kind of similar to GoW3 on hard, but God of War had two or three sections that were really harder than the rest. Batman doesn't have that problem as far as I remember.

I was looking for this topic. My bro got me the GOTY edition for xmas. I've already completed it, now I'm trying to get the challenge achievements. I've got all the predator ones, it's the regular ones I need help on. I'm no good at stringing combo's together and only got the 40 one by luck (I got it at the end when you fight all those Joker goons to get Party Pooper). Don't know how in the hell I'm going to get Freeflow Perfection on this.

Forkball

I got this during the Steam sale and I'm loving it. It really does feel like a darker version of the animated series. The combat is a blast and the stealth is fun as well. The game does a great job of making you really feel like Batman, which makes it embarassing when you die because you know Batman wouldn't have made such a stupid mistake.

Gouty said:
Why saddle Rocksteady with that shallow oh shit I lost my weapons again franchise? They do Batman and they do it better than anyone. This is their home.

I'm with this guy. We've been waiting pretty much since the inception of video games for the perfect Batman franchise and we're gonna send the team off to suffer under the yoke of...Metroid, of all things? No, fuck that. More Batman dammit. The next 9 games wouldn't need to bring much new to the table to keep me happy. Hey Ubi, wanna nab this studio? Wouldn't mind yearly installments...

echoshifting said:
I'm with this guy. We've been waiting pretty much since the inception of video games for the perfect Batman franchise and we're gonna send the team off to suffer under the yoke of...Metroid, of all things? No, fuck that. More Batman dammit. The next 9 games wouldn't need to bring much new to the table to keep me happy. Hey Ubi, wanna nab this studio? Wouldn't mind yearly installments...

You are a bad person and I wish bad things upon you.

CrankyJay

Banned
TripOpt55 said:
I just finished this a few days ago. It's a very good game. I need 7 more riddler challenges and then I'll be onto the challenges to work towards the platinum. I will need to play hard mode though. I'll do that if I finish everything else.

I seriously breezed thru hard mode in about 6-7 hours after beating all of the challenges. Fun platinum.

fresquito

So I beat this for the first time (PC). Game is excellent in most every way, however, there's something holding it back and, finally, separetes it from master pieces. I don't really know what it is, probably it's the pace.

Combat is probably the most fun and complete I've seen in any game. You feel you're Batman, but you're not just overpowered and you kill everyone hahaha. No, you've got to time your hits and counters and build up the combo and it's just so satisfaying I can't understand how this system hasn't been done before.

Hunting parts are nicely done, although they are too closed and too easy. They're just slow. However, they're Batman 100%. I wish they would be more open, like those involving snipers, but with more enemies. Good idea, mostly good execution.

Level design is pretty good, with a lot of well thought secrets. However, detective vision is a must if you want to find them and navigate the scenarios. And you know, as useful as detective mode I hate it. Yeah, I know, you're nor forced to use it, in the sense that yoyu could just skip using it, but that's not the best solution, since the game is thought with detective mode in mind. And I hate these parts where you can't use the hook nobody knows why.

Story is not mindblowing, but it's pure Batman. Good voice acting, good video direction, etc. I just feel it's too forced into the game. Joker is always talking to you, Oracle is always there, there's someone ALWAYS there to tell you something. Since it's well done, I don't mind too much, but I could use less gameplay interruptions.

Graphics and sound are very good, specially audio. Graphics look wonderfull, the level of detail is insane. However, UE3 brings vaseline in, which I dislike. They say the devil is in the small details, and thus I claim this game is the devil. Artists have done an awesome job. Kudos to them.

Scarecrow's moments were ace. It gave me Psycomantis vibes. Ah, one last thing: I hope I never thos bunch of muscles ever again. Wow, Beating Bane was somehow fun for the first time. I didn't need to do it a bazillion times more.

All in all, a great game. A steal for the 7.5€ I paid for it :D

HYDE

Banned
echoshifting said:

This game wouldn't have been any good had it not stolen from the franchise you are ripping on. Learn to give Super Metroid its dues. That game is a classic in the top 5 best games ever 50 fucking times over before this game even gets once considered into the top 100 of all times.

Typical stupid ass gaffers who feel they need to tear one game to bring another one up.

That said, I just put the game back in after quitting at the final joker fight, and beat it in five minutes. Excellent game, will be keeping this in the collection.

LQX

How did this talk of Batman being like Super Metroid come to be? Is it something the developers acknowledged? Yeah you upgrade weapons to gain accessibility to other areas but to solely use that pin the two seems strange when there so different in many other ways.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Was given this for christmas an beat the game a couple hours ago an just finished up the riddles/chronicles stuffs! It seemed kinda long! Thats prolly cause I did lotsa exploring and dying x_x; I played on normal an must've died around 20 times. The worse was dying on the final boss cause even by that point in the game I couldn't help but try to ground takedown guys despite having mobs of 'em around me!

The end credits were freaking long btw! And the Joker PSAs needed to be much more spaced out so they didn't get so repetitive. And relying on autosave sucks. Gimme the ability to save darnit! Thats the bad stuff. Good things I liked were the normal and stealthy fighting. Punching dude was as satisfying as terrorizing them from way up high! Trying ta find my way around the environments an all the lil nooks an crannies ended up being pretty fun. And the tension! I got freaked out at times like in RE4 but never in a bad way!

Challenge mode sounds challenging which isn't for me but still I'll prolly give it a try someday. The dlc is all challenges so I dun care ta check any of that out. I'll be sure ta check out the sequel though!

fresquito

So, after beating the game I'm going back to get all the Riddler stuff and beat DLC and challenges. However, I've found some spots where a question mark is marked in the map, but it's nowhere to be found. When I enter detective mode there's a big question mark in white, but I don't really know what to do. I've tried the hook, batarang (all of them), transmisor, etc. What else is there to do?

fresquito said:
So, after beating the game I'm going back to get all the Riddler stuff and beat DLC and challenges. However, I've found some spots where a question mark is marked in the map, but it's nowhere to be found. When I enter detective mode there's a big question mark in white, but I don't really know what to do. I've tried the hook, batarang (all of them), transmisor, etc. What else is there to do?
You're supposed to take a picture of the whole fluorescent "?" (inluding the dot) using the detective vision camera. It's an environmental puzzle so you need to move around and find the correct angle and distance to take your photo.

fresquito

wackojackosnose said:
You're supposed to take a picture of the whole fluorescent "?" (inluding the dot) using the detective vision camera. It's an environmental puzzle so you need to move around and find the correct angle and distance to take your photo.
Thanks man.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I finished the game on hard and thought I was cruising towards the platinum. Not so fast tough guy. I can't get the necessary golds in the combat challenges to save my life. Some mother fucker ALWAYS wrecks my combo.

fresquito

can you go back to the morgue once the game is beaten? I cannot gain access to it. The elevator is closed and even when I can get down to the ground floor where it is located, I can't open the door or find another way. Any tips?

mclem

fresquito said:

Each spoiler is of increasing spoilerness:

Take a photo of it.

Didn't work? Odd. Are you sure you took a photo of a question mark?

Question marks have a dot at the bottom, don't they? Did yours have one?

Somewhere else in the environment is a dot. You need to stand at the point where the curvy line and dot line up, and then take a photo of the complete question mark

Edit: Bah, should have been quicker.

fresquito said:
can you go back to the morgue once the game is beaten? I cannot gain access to it. The elevator is closed and even when I can get down to the ground floor where it is located, I can't open the door or find another way. Any tips?

I think there's a new entrance by the elevator. A vent perhaps?

Gouty said:
I finished the game on hard and thought I was cruising towards the platinum. Not so fast tough guy. I can't get the necessary golds in the combat challenges to save my life. Some mother fucker ALWAYS wrecks my combo.

Yup, definitely the most rewarding game I've ever platinum'd. Just keep at it and maybe read a guide; if you didn't have too much trouble with the one or two ball-breaking titan fights in the campaign, you should be able to gold the difficult combat challenges.

fresquito

Valkyr Junkie said:
I think there's a new entrance by the elevator. A vent perhaps?

Yup, definitely the most rewarding game I've ever platinum'd. Just keep at it and maybe read a guide; if you didn't have too much trouble with the one or two ball-breaking titan fights in the campaign, you should be able to gold the difficult combat challenges.
Tried it, but didn't lead anywhere. That's why I asked.

fresquito said:

There is a vent in the room where the elevator is that you can take down. It's one of those up in the air that you have to use the batclaw or whatever it's called to open. It'll take you down on top of the elevator, then there's another vent I think that you have to take from there to get to the morgue, I did this just yesterday. Finally got 100% on the Riddler challenges.

fresquito

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
There is a vent in the room where the elevator is that you can take down. It's one of those up in the air that you have to use the batclaw or whatever it's called to open. It'll take you down on top of the elevator, then there's another vent I think that you have to take from there to get to the morgue, I did this just yesterday. Finally got 100% on the Riddler challenges.
I've gone through the vent and found the elevator. But once there, I find nothing else, but a closed door. I'll try again, but I think I have checked everything.

fresquito said:
I've gone through the vent and found the elevator. But once there, I find nothing else, but a closed door. I'll try again, but I think I have checked everything.

I think it took me a bit to find the other way through, but trust me it's there. I think you also have batclaw up to the other vent you need to go through if that helps.

fresquito

Done. Thank you. Don't you hate when you are like ten minutes in a place, searching for something you know it should be there, but you can't find it and then you try the most rare things?

I do! :lol

Top Bottom