• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

robot

OokieSpookie said:
Because I would rather not have to put out the $30 in the first place (Best Buy policy says that they take the card off of the price when price matching) and I was going to use that 30 to pick up Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (from Best Buy) on blu ray.
Instead I have a $30 card from Toys R Us which is nice and all but I rarely shop there to be honest and I still had to fork out that $30 to begin with.

Ah makes sense. I wonder if anyone will get BB to match that deal - pretty crazy being able to get the game for $29.99.

robot said:
Ah makes sense. I wonder if anyone will get BB to match that deal - pretty crazy being able to get the game for $29.99.

I am sure if I went to the manager and made a point of it I could have, but it would have taken time and stress that I was just not in the mood for.

OokieSpookie said:
Because I would rather not have to put out the $30 in the first place (Best Buy policy says that they take the card off of the price when price matching) and I was going to use that 30 to pick up Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (from Best Buy) on blu ray.
Instead I have a $30 card from Toys R Us which is nice and all but I rarely shop there to be honest and I still had to fork out that $30 to begin with.

I might be a little behind the times in regards to this deal, but I can't imagine everyone was an existing TRU rewards member. What is the process for that? A quick sign up on-line for the extra 10$? Do you need to print something out?

JambiBum

I know some guys were asking about the counter indicator and if you can turn it off or not. Well you can. You just have to play the game on hard.

Class_A_Ninja said:
I might be a little behind the times in regards to this deal, but I can't imagine everyone was an existing TRU rewards member. What is the process for that? A quick sign up on-line for the extra 10$? Do you need to print something out?

Quick sign up and print the card, they can also look it up by your phone number after 24 hours.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
OokieSpookie said:
The ad for Best Buy this week says you get a $10 gift card and a double dvd of Batman Mask of the Phantasm/Mr Freeze when you buy Arkham Asylum.

HOOOOT

Such an awesome movie.

Doing the install right now...

Mother-in-law running interference with the daughter...

It's a bright, sunny day and I'm in my basement with the air conditioning on, soon to play the 'Bat on Hard.

It's a good day.

Just got back from TRU, got my $30 gift card, woot! The gift card is just a regular TRU one, nothing special about it, there's no wait on the activation or anything like the Ghostbusters one had. It says that you can use it online, too
Class_A_Ninja said:
You can sign up in store and they'll hand you a card and key cards right there

RavenFox

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Doing the install right now...

Mother-in-law running interference with the daughter...

It's a bright, sunny day and I'm in my basement with the air conditioning on, soon to play the 'Bat on Hard.

It's a good day.
:D

JesseZao

Anyone else (playing gimped xbox version) think it was hilarious when you unlocked
the
Leave No Man Behind
Achievement? When, upon unlocking, Batman proceeds to
CURBSTOMP the goon you just saved

Maybe I'm alone, but that really struck me as a fresh use of the pop-up.

Edit: Broken spoiler tags.

Downhome

I laughed my ass off there near the very start of the game when
you save that bad guy hanging on the ledge, and then when you pull him to safety Batman instantly punches him in the face.

:lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Last call before I go pick it up at lunch...

Anyone compare both versions in terms of performance? How well does the PS3 version hold 30fps? Is the tearing bad?

Not sure if this has been addressed but have (west)Canadian stores received their copies yet?

I keep hearing that it was preshipped to a lot of places.

TimeKillr

ThePeacemaker02 said:
FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU WAL-MART. That is printed on the actual paper part of the case. I would forever greatful to anyone who could upload one without that stupid thing on there. :D

IMAG0005.jpg

Every PS3 copy has that sort of shit on it, saying "OMGZ YOU CAN PLAY AS THE JOKER IN CHALLENGE MAPS OMGZ OMGZ OMGZ".

Idiots.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Joker hit the ebgames/and gamestop.com website :D like the Dark Knight viral campaign all over again.

TheExodu5

Banned
If someone is interested in watching TheLensOfTruth Batman comparison video, would you be kind enough to give me the bullet points? Can't watch it at work. =\

edit: nevermind...was able to view the text on my iPhone. Summary:

Graphics: Trade-off. PS3 has better shadowing, and a more zoomed out camera, while the 360 has SSAO shadowing and better motion blur.

Performance: Both consoles drop in frames and screen tear (this was my biggest concern, but neither console is better than the other, apparently).

Loading: Tie, despite the mandatory install on PS3.

It's weird that the camera is so much more zoomed in on the 360. Maybe they did it to increase performance.

Chairhome

Rented a copy at Blockbuster cause I'm too poor to buy this right now. Blockbuster charges late fees for games after 5 days now, so I guess I'm going to have to force myself to find time to play it! Got the PS3 version...

Overlee

OokieSpookie said:
Wouldn't it have been productive to give the reference number here?

the guy I quoted from slickdeals didn't post a ref number to call.

he said it was just the normal 1800- BestBuy number.

edit: just read that you didn't have any luck with BB. I don't really feel like going through the trouble trying to get them to follow their own policies.

Sanjuro

I think they didn't have the special gift cards at my location. Instead of giving me a regular card the girl just gave me the game at $29.99. Works for me.

...and as far as the game? It makes me feel like a man.

Tips for fighting on Hard:

- Don't get cocky. Always, always try to do JUST one move, then be prepared for a counter or double tap over an enemy if no one's coming in for the attack (to extend your combo, but not increase it).
- As soon as that multiplier turns yellow, USE IT
- Try to upgrade all the upgrades to the left first - they'll help you in battle (or the armor if you really need it). Also, get the combo Batarang upgrade as soon as you can as well (and the Multirangs).

Good luck fellas. :)
Enjoy the ride!

Red

You guys are killing me. I've got class in 40 minutes and my game still isn't here. I could've gone and picked it up five times this morning if it's where amazon says it is.

Come on, UPS.

kaskade

TimeKillr said:
Every PS3 copy has that sort of shit on it, saying "OMGZ YOU CAN PLAY AS THE JOKER IN CHALLENGE MAPS OMGZ OMGZ OMGZ".

Idiots.
The PS3 one sort of blends at least. I'm pissed, the cover is so nice.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jut picked it up. Will pop it in after lunch. Not really caring if the damn Joker map thing is on the print. Better than that damn Walmart deal.

lostxii

ThePeacemaker02 said:
The PS3 one sort of blends at least. I'm pissed, the cover is so nice.

Just got the game and it does kind of suck, thought it's not the biggest deal. But damn, it's on the front, back, and the inside.

Ihya

TheExodu5 said:
If someone is interested in watching TheLensOfTruth Batman comparison video, would you be kind enough to give me the bullet points? Can't watch it at work. =\

edit: nevermind...was able to view the text on my iPhone. Summary:

Graphics: Trade-off. PS3 has better shadowing, and a more zoomed out camera, while the 360 has SSAO shadowing and better motion blur.

Performance: Both consoles drop in frames and screen tear (this was my biggest concern, but neither console is better than the other, apparently).

Loading: Tie, despite the mandatory install on PS3.

It's weird that the camera is so much more zoomed in on the 360. Maybe they did it to increase performance.

I'm glad its no Ghostbusters and both versions look great. The pixel counting brigade get to score no real points against one another :) Damnit, why do I have to wait till Friday for my copy... Grr

Ephemeris

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I think they didn't have the special gift cards at my location. Instead of giving me a regular card the girl just gave me the game at $29.99. Works for me.

...and as far as the game? It makes me feel like a man.
:D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alright, so I did the Toys R Us deal and got the $30 gift card but they were sold out of the PS3 version. It's rare that a PS3 version of a multiplatform game is worth purchasing, but in this case, it seemed to look just as good. They were sold out of the PS3 version, however.

Now, the article above showed a difference between the camera system in both versions (the 360 version having either a different FOV or placement). Is this accurate in the final game? Does the 360 version really feature a different camera placement?

I suppose I'll just stick with the 360 as I know it will be solid, I'm just curious about the camera.

There is no way something that minor would result in any sort of performance improvement. Was the comparison done with the demo version or does the final really have this issue?

tim1138

Grabbed the PS3 version from Toys R Us this morning to take advantage of the $30 gift card. I've put about an hour or so into it so far, up to the point where you
are tracking Jim Gordon and are in the medical facility
. So far it's pretty amazing, it really captures the look and feel of being Batman.

Flangus

Neo Member
Just got my CE for $10 off plus a $10 Best Buy gift card (matching the $20 TRU deal). At first they gave me some nonsense about not counting gift cards in their price matching policy, but a call to Best Buy corporate helped me get the discount. However, they wouldn't give me the $30 discount because supposedly they don't count reward zone deals in price matches. I'd have just gone right to TRU, but they don't have the CE there.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ihya said:
I'm glad its no Ghostbusters and both versions look great. The pixel counting brigade get to score no real points against one another :) Damnit, why do I have to wait till Friday for my copy... Grr

I'm happy because I can pick up the PS3 copy for the Home and Joker stuff without feeling gimped.

Gonna trade it in and grab the PC version in a month if I end up really liking it.

Win-win. :D

dark10x said:
I suppose I'll just stick with the 360 as I know it will be solid, I'm just curious about the camera.

There is no way something that minor would result in any sort of performance improvement. Was the comparison done with the demo version or does the final really have this issue?

I'm very curious about it myself. It seems like such an odd thing for it to be so drastically different in both versions.

I have to say that the release version looks so much better than the beta to me.
Alot less white outline on things, less tearing and much smoother.

Zeliard said:
That's what I like to hear.

It gets a little bit more manageable as you upgrade your armour but guns are NO joke.

And getting your combo meter higher and higher has you zooming across the screen from one bad guy to the other like the berserker in Too Human...highly enjoyable stuff.

Grecco

Picked up the 360 version at TRU. Got the 30 dollar gift card(Too good of a deal to pass out on but the gift card expires Oct 31 2009).

ACE 1991

So, GAF: Will I enjoy this game even if I'm not a batman fan? I mean I loved The Dark Knight (who didn't?) but I've never read the comics.

Brashnir

ACE 1991 said:
So, GAF: Will I enjoy this game even if I'm not a batman fan? I mean I loved The Dark Knight (who didn't?) but I've never read the comics.

Download the demo and see for yourself. It seems like a good game first, and Batman fan-service second, so I think you'll probably like it.

Not sure if this has been addressed but have (west)Canadian stores received their copies yet?

I keep hearing that it was preshipped to a lot of places.

I'm in Vancouver. Got a call from EB yesterday saying that my preordered copy would be available for pickup anytime after the store opened today. So yeah, I imagine it was preshipped.

JambiBum

TheExodu5 said:
I'm very curious about it myself. It seems like such an odd thing for it to be so drastically different in both versions.

I have the 360 version. It indeed does have the close camera. Gonna have to ask someone with the PS3 version about that side.

ACE 1991

Brashnir said:
Download the demo and see for yourself. It seems like a good game first, and Batman fan-service second, so I think you'll probably like it.

Oh right! I had forgotten about the demo :lol

I'll check it out.

Top Bottom