• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

tim1138

Sweet jesus at the pure awesome of
what I hope is only the first encounter with the Scarecrow. The whole lead up was brilliant and reminiscent of the insanity effects of Eternal Darkness.
Kudos to you Rocksteady Games.

EzLink

Banned
tim1138 said:
Sweet jesus at the pure awesome of
what I hope is only the first encounter with the Scarecrow. The whole lead up was brilliant and reminiscent of the insanity effects of Eternal Darkness.
Kudos to you Rocksteady Games.

No fucking kidding, that part was so incredibly kickass. Especially when
you unzip the body bags to find his parents.
Fuck that was cool

Yeah, I seriously hope there is at least
one more run in with Mr. Crane. The morgue was just
unsettling and creepy as hell :D

Loooove this game

JRW

TheExodu5 said:
I compared all 3 demos myself. I compared wall textures, as well as the checkered texture on Batman's chest. Both the PS3 and 360 demos were identical. PC demo was sharper, especially when it came to Batman's checkered chest (which was clearly defined, and not fuzzy like the console versions).

The only thing that bothered me in the demo is the PS3 version seemed to have tearing that the 360 version didn't. TheLensOfTruth seemed to suggest both versions had tearing though.

The PS3's version is also lacking SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) which is a bit of a turn off for us graphic whores (although not a super important feature with the game being so dark) I took these pics showing the differance (lack of shadows): Link

strideramc

lawblob said:
lawblob - 1
BestBuy - 0

I walked in thirty minutes ago armed with nothing but my iPhone browser, and walked out with a $40 Batman. It basically took 15 minutes of condescending looks, not walking away from the counter, and reading the bestbuy.com price match language five times. My legal negotiations professor would be proud.

This happened to me with Resident Evil 5. I literally had to read their price match policy to the store manager directly off the website, and even then he came up with some BS excuse. Finally after asking for the district managers phone number, and proceeding to make the call right in front of him, he got cold feet and approved the price match "this time". I said that was cool cause I wouldn't shop in his store anymore after this experience. I just stick to Amazon now, it is usually only a few bucks more then in stores, and I don't pay tax, so that's another 8% savings or so.

TheExodu5

Banned
JRW said:
The PS3's version is also lacking SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) which is a bit of a turn off for us graphic whores (although not a super important feature with the game being so dark) I took these pics showing the differance (lack of shadows): Link

Yeah I noted that :p. I'll have to check the pics when I'm home...blocked at work.

When I was saying they were identical, I meant in terms of textures. Like I said, 360 version does look a little better to me.

I hope I like it enough to warrant purchasing the PC version on Steam when it comes out. Game looks so absolutely gorgeous on my GTX 275.

vesp

Just picked it up at toysrus, $30 gift card was a "special" batman one that takes 6 hours to activate, but it says it can be used online which helps the annoyance. Didn't have layton2 so I was bummed but doesn't matter with 6 hour activation I guess.

This bus ride is torture!

Edit: picked up ps3 version for joker and further camera, hope that was the right choice.

I'm definitely double dipping on this one for the PC.

I'd love to see how good the outdoor areas can look on my computer.

<3

Now, to get the DS3 working on my damn computer... grr

Enojado

For those with the CE, how is the quality of the leather booklet that comes with character info? Is it at least decent quality? How is the info inside it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Got up today and noticed my Arkham Asylum package jammed behind the screen door...as I'm leaving for work. Now I get to wait 12 hours before I can play the damn thing, woe is me.

tim1138

EzLink said:
No fucking kidding, that part was so incredibly kickass. Especially when
you unzip the body bags to find his parents.
Fuck that was cool

Yeah, I seriously hope there is at least
one more run in with Mr. Crane. The morgue was just
unsettling and creepy as hell :D

Loooove this game

Yes, yes, yes on all accounts!

Barrett2

strideramc said:
This happened to me with Resident Evil 5. I literally had to read their price match policy to the store manager directly off the website, and even then he came up with some BS excuse. Finally after asking for the district managers phone number, and proceeding to make the call right in front of him, he got cold feet and approved the price match "this time". I said that was cool cause I wouldn't shop in his store anymore after this experience. I just stick to Amazon now, it is usually only a few bucks more then in stores, and I don't pay tax, so that's another 8% savings or so.

Its very frustrating, but once again shows you have to be willing to stand your ground on stuff like this to not get screwed. I love how they act like they are doing you a huge favor by following their own corporate policies.

JambiBum

Hey EzLink, I know you're around where I am so I was wondering, when you are
exiting the sewers after the bat cave part
there is a riddler trophy near the top that is across a gap. You can't make the gap just by jumping so do you know of a way to get to it that I'm missing?

JambiBum said:
Hey EzLink, I know you're around where I am so I was wondering, when you are
exiting the sewers after the bat cave part
there is a riddler trophy near the top that is across a gap. You can't make the gap just by jumping so do you know of a way to get to it that I'm missing?
Patience.
You'll have the opportunity later.

This goes for all of the seemingly out-of-reach trophies and breakable walls, by the way.

vg260

TheExodu5 said:
If someone is interested in watching TheLensOfTruth Batman comparison video, would you be kind enough to give me the bullet points? Can't watch it at work. =\

edit: nevermind...was able to view the text on my iPhone. Summary:

Graphics: Trade-off. PS3 has better shadowing, and a more zoomed out camera, while the 360 has SSAO shadowing and better motion blur.

What about aliasing? Did they mention that? I think a lot of these are not nearly as noticeable as the PS3 version looking a lot more aliased than the 360 one, IMO. I found the PS3 version overall less pleasing visually for that reason. That was the decider for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
2&2 said:
What about aliasing? Did they mention that? I think a lot of these are not nearly as noticeable as the PS3 version looking a lot more aliased than the 360 one, IMO. I found the PS3 version overall less pleasing visually for that reason. That was the decider for me.

I didn't find the aliasing differences that big. Honestly, I'm not sure if the 360 is doing more AA (or any) or not. A more zoomed out camera exaggerates aliasing, so I'll have to recheck again. Aliasing didn't seem too bad in either version to me (though I might guess the 360 is running with 2x AA).

It seems odd that they didn't mention aliasing in their comparison though...

PS3 version was less visually pleasing overall, but I'm consoling myself with the fact that the PC version looks super pleasing. :D

Anybody else disappointed with the quality of the Batarang? I expected it to not be too lavish but damn. It looks nice on the PS3, but the stand is cheap. Is Batman going Nerf?

316wwig.jpg

Well done, Eidos.

It is nice to see a licensed game done well. I think there is a lesson here . . . don't rush the game to get it out in time with the movie or even the DVD. Wait until the game is done. The gamers can wait and would rather get a good game than crap rushed out to coincide with the movie.

JohngPR

I love the way this game plays. I went into a room where I saw a wall where I can put explosives...so I did and waited for the guy to walk near it and detonated it then grappled out of there. Two of the thugs went to investigate one behind the other. While they were both looking at their buddy that got blowed the fuck up, I took out the thug that was behind the other guy with a batarang so he didn't see him get hit with it. Then I glide kicked the other in the face.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
speculawyer said:
Well done, Eidos.

It is nice to see a licensed game done well. I think there is a lesson here . . . don't rush the game to get it out in time with the movie or even the DVD. Wait until the game is done. The gamers can wait and would rather get a good game than crap rushed out to coincide with the movie.
Seriously, when a potentially hot game gets real polish on it the buzz seems to push sales through the roof. I'm speculating at this point, but this really has all the makings of a megablockbuster.

Absolutely unbelievable, the score this game received on Game Trailers has to be one of the highest they've given in months. I'm having too much fun with Dissidia at the moment but this game is as good as bought!!

Chrange

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
A further out camera would emphasize the lack of AA.

Both games have identical textures (and the PC version has better textures).

No, they don't. The 360's textures are sharper/clearer in numerous spots.

TheFallen

I got the PS3 edition for my house (wanted joker maps) and the 360 edition for my gf's apartment (she doesn't have a PS3 and I'm not lugging it over). Played a good hour or so of the 360 version and just started now that I've gotten home on the PS3.

One issue: I can't seem to access the PSN Store today to download the Dem Bones and Joker maps. Pops up with an error 80023017. Anyone with this?

Volcynika

TheFallen said:
I got the PS3 edition for my house (wanted joker maps) and the 360 edition for my gf's apartment (she doesn't have a PS3 and I'm not lugging it over). Played a good hour or so of the 360 version and just started now that I've gotten home on the PS3.

One issue: I can't seem to access the PSN Store today to download the Dem Bones and Joker maps. Pops up with an error 80023017. Anyone with this?

PSN having some maintenance today, I think.

exarkun

Question: How long is the game? Since I have continued my journey as broke-ass college student I can only buy a few games a year. Is it at least 10 hours +? I have a PS3, just in case there is game lengthening content for it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
is the game challenging? the demo was way too easy but that was the first 5 minutes. is it really going to get me thinking and take some twitch reactions though? are there gunna be easy button gargoyles everywhere than let me zip in take out a dude and zip out, rinse and repeat ad nasuem?

Sean

Banned
My disk somehow came loose in the game case during shipping and there is a noticeable scratch on my copy. It works fine so far (I installed it to the hard drive) but it's a little annoying.

Have been playing it for an hour or two and it's a lot of fun so far. Only complaint is that it's very easy so far (playing on normal). Maybe I should have started on Hard.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Costanza said:
So fucking stupid. With the huge deal they're making of the Joker content, the game comes out today and people can't even download it.
Or you coulda grabbed any of the last 3-4 days it's been up on the PSN.

And Sean, the game is def easy on normal

Costanza said:
So fucking stupid. With the huge deal they're making of the Joker content, the game comes out today and people can't even download it.
You wouldn't even be able to play as the Joker without playing some of the campaign first, dude.

You need to unlock the Challenge Maps in order to use Joker in them... so just play the damn game - by the time you've got a few Maps unlocked, PSN will be back up.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chrange said:
No, they don't. The 360's textures are sharper/clearer in numerous spots.

In the demo, when comparing wall textures, character textures, and Batman's texture they do.

If there are texture differences, they're so minimal it's laughable when compared to the PC version.

Costanza said:

Where were you the last few days when it was sitting in the prime pointy spot on the PSN and was mentioned in this thread multiple times?

Sanjuro

Sean said:
My disk somehow came loose in the game case during shipping and there is a noticeable scratch on my copy. It works fine so far (I installed it to the hard drive) but it's a little annoying.

Have been playing it for an hour or two and it's a lot of fun so far. Only complaint is that it's very easy so far (playing on normal). Maybe I should have started on Hard.
Yeah, mine is like that too. I have run into no problems, I might go swap out the copy at my leisure.

Costanza

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
Where were you the last few days when it was sitting in the prime pointy spot on the PSN and was mentioned in this thread multiple times?
I'm not talking about myself. I grabbed it a couple days ago. I'm talking about the general public seeing the big marketing push of PLAY AS THE JOKER and coming home on release day and not being able to get the content.

Though to be fair I didn't realize you have to play through the campaign first.

Downhome

The best advice I can give, which has already been mentioned, is to play the game on hard. As great as the demo was, playing the full game on hard is a totally different experience.

I just hope I don't get stuck along the way since I am playing on hard. :lol

So far I just
defeated Bane, Gordon left on the boat, and I'm now on my way to the bat cave
so I have no clue how far along I am. Any clues? I'm pretty sure that's still way early in the game.

Zeliard

I can't get through my shitty local Toys 'R Us' phone system to speak to an actual human being.

Does that $30 gift card when you buy Batman: AA apply to all stores?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Costanza said:
I'm not talking about myself. I grabbed it a couple days ago. I'm talking about the general public seeing the big marketing push of PLAY AS THE JOKER and coming home on release day and not being able to get the content.

Though to be fair I didn't realize you have to play through the campaign first.
Neither did I but the game is so good that they can wait

Top Bottom