• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

profit

Still not sure if I'll be getting the 360 or PS3 version....
PS3 version has the Joker missions, but all my mates have a 360 so I can share the game for a few days.
Decisions decisions

JambiBum

Something I just did that was pretty sweet. There were three guys around a corner, one with a pipe. First I placed explosive gel on my side of the corner then I threw a batarang at one guy's legs to knock him down. The other two saw me and ran straight into my trap. Blew up my gel and then did ground takedowns on both guys. Finished the guy I bataranged off with a few punches.

TheExodu5

Banned
JambiBum said:
I have the 360 version. It indeed does have the close camera. Gonna have to ask someone with the PS3 version about that side.

Check out the comparison at www.thelensoftruth.com. It shows the difference in the camera.

Can't link the pics directly, since the site is blocked at work.

Really weird. I think the PC version has the close camera that the 360 version has (though it's probably modifiable somehow).

Can't say either one is inherently superior to the other. I mean, the further out PS3 camera will give you a better overview of battles and help in that regard, but a closer camera will do better in resolving graphical detail. Not a huge issue by any means...just a very curious difference in between the versions.

JambiBum

TheExodu5 said:
Check out the comparison at www.thelensoftruth.com. It shows the difference in the camera.

Really weird. I think the PC version has the close camera that the 360 version has (though it's probably modifiable somehow).

Can't say either one is inherently superior to the other. I mean, the further out PS3 camera will give you a better overview of battles and help in that regard, but a closer camera will do better in resolving graphical detail. Not a huge issue by any means...just a very curious difference in between the versions.

I know about the difference. Saw it in the LoT pics. I really don't mind the close camera at all. Plus, if you need to look around better all you have to do is crouch and it pulls the camera out.

Dunno if this has been mentioned or not (since this thread is already so long...) but did anyone else notice that if you have the PS3 version in the system, and go over to the video section on the XMB, there's a bunch of Batman videos listed there including some making of videos and trailers?

First time I ever saw a game add videos to the XMB like that instead of sticking them in an in-game menu.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TheExodu5 said:

Holy crap at the comments in the comparison page. :lol

Apparently a LOT of the users have a 360 and PS3 copy and were able to come up with a different conclusion than LoT did. Uh-huh.

ThirstyFly said:
Dunno if this has been mentioned or not (since this thread is already so long...) but did anyone else notice that if you have the PS3 version in the system, and go over to the video section on the XMB, there's a bunch of Batman videos listed there including some making of videos and trailers?

First time I ever saw a game add videos to the XMB like that instead of sticking them in an in-game menu.
Weird! Does it play it within the game, or install it to the video section? How does it work?

Chrange

Banned
JambiBum said:
I know about the difference. Saw it in the LoT pics. I really don't mind the close camera at all. Plus, if you need to look around better all you have to do is crouch and it pulls the camera out.

I just tap the right stick to rotate the camera up a bit, it widens out the view as well. I wonder if the wider camera view was to minimize the impact of weaker textures and the lack of AA?

chubigans said:

Apparently a LOT of the users have a 360 and PS3 copy and were able to come up with a different conclusion than LoT did. Uh-huh.

That usually means that the image quality in both versions are about the same.

TheExodu5

Banned
chubigans said:

The general public is completely irrational and retarded when it comes to defending the version they bought.

LoT is a pretty trusted site when it comes to comparisons (at least, moreso than most), so their information was helpful. I just wanted to know I wasn't getting a gimped version. :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
ThirstyFly said:

Whoa cool!

chubigans said:
Weird! Does it play it within the game, or install it to the video section? How does it work?

Nope, plays from the XMB like normal videos. Even has the DVD playback controls.

I haven't taken the disc out to see if it's installed there, but I don't think it is. It adds a little video icon that I've never seen before (video icon inside a blue circle), then that branches out to all the videos you can watch.

I have played for a little over an hour, this has been the most engaging, immersive, awesome experience I have had in gaming so far this year.

The intro sequence is so goood. Any fan of Batman and the Joker will be geeking out, its Mark Hamill at his best. Once the game starts and will you see that its nothing like the demo, you find that it's a pretty large world with hidden secrets all over. Paths you cant reach yet like a Metroid game. Wait till you start to do the Riddler challenges, it provides a whole load of optional puzzles to complete and if the second one is any indication they will be good puzzles.

I am blown away so far. The only thing that can go wrong is if the combat and predator segements get repetitive which I highly doubt will. I can already tell that everything else is polished to perfection. Buy this game.

Einbroch

Banned
Am I the only one who sucks at the predator bits?

I can take out one guard no problem, but then his buddies run over and stand around for like 3-4 minutes. I found the only way to beat them was to wait, and wait, and wait until they're so far apart that they can't see eachother. It's a little annoying since it can take 10 minutes to clear out a room of three guys.

Loving everything else so far, though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just need to confirm (and it's hard to search for this)--but PC version will be the best right? Want to make sure it's worth the weight as I could get it on any system.

Chrange

Banned
Einbroch said:

I can take out one guard no problem, but then his buddies run over and stand around for like 3-4 minutes. I found the only way to beat them was to wait, and wait, and wait until they're so far apart that they can't see eachother. It's a little annoying since it can take 10 minutes to clear out a room of three guys.

After you take out a guard, drop a batgel explosive on the body. Or do it before, if you're sneaky enough. Then go back a distance and wait for people to congregate...I think you can figure out what comes next.

Got that tip from this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH_kIRCYhL8 :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
AstroLad said:
Just need to confirm (and it's hard to search for this)--but PC version will be the best right? Want to make sure it's worth the weight as I could get it on any system.

yep physx graphics and mods make the pc version the one to get

Barrett2

I'm currently at Best Buy getting in the asst managers face, literally just had to read him the Best Buy terms & conditions off my iPhone... God damn.

JambiBum

Einbroch said:

You just have to learn how to set them up the way you want. Take out specific guys first. If you see a couple of guys near each other leave them alone. Learn to set traps up as well.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
lawblob said:
I'm currently at Best Buy getting in the asst managers face, literally just had to read him the Best Buy terms & conditions off my iPhone... God damn.
Why, what happened?

I'm still on the fence on starting off on Normal or Hard difficulty. I don't want want the difficulty to ruin my experience, I like my games fun, not frustrating... but I don't want it to be too easy either

lawblob said:

are you winning? keep us updated

Been debating whether or not to use my $50 Amazon gift certificate to get this game (which I was supposed to use it for BlazeBlue but ended up buying that in-store), but screw it...I'm getting it :lol

I was very impressed with the demo, maybe one of the biggest gaming surprises for me this year. Demos haven't really convinced me to get a game but this is definitely an exception.

I haven't played a good Batman game since...the Sunsoft NES movie game? :lol Also, other than the Capcom Vs. fighting games I don't think I've really enjoyed a comic-book game since the first Activision Spider-Man game on the PSOne.

My brother is usually the one who enjoys playing all kinds of comic-book games but hasn't yet made the jump to a PS3 or 360...I know this game will definitely make him get a slim PS3 very soon.

JambiBum

Gryphter said:
I'm still on the fence on starting off on Normal or Hard difficulty. I don't want want the difficulty to ruin my experience, I like my games fun, not frustrating... but I don't want it to be too easy either

Make your decision this way Gryphter, do you want the little counter notifiers on or off. If you want them off go with hard, if not then go with normal. The thugs are a bit tougher on hard but really if you know what you're doing you should be alright.

Barrett2

lawblob - 1
BestBuy - 0

I walked in thirty minutes ago armed with nothing but my iPhone browser, and walked out with a $40 Batman. It basically took 15 minutes of condescending looks, not walking away from the counter, and reading the bestbuy.com price match language five times. My legal negotiations professor would be proud.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chrange said:
I just tap the right stick to rotate the camera up a bit, it widens out the view as well. I wonder if the wider camera view was to minimize the impact of weaker textures and the lack of AA?

A further out camera would emphasize the lack of AA.

Both games have identical textures (and the PC version has better textures).

K' Dash

Will this game unlock avatar stuff? I won't buy anything for my avatar but sure it'd be nice to unlock some cool batman items.

Kingpen

I've really tapered off of buying new games at this point in my life, but the 30 dollar gift card, high praise, and just mention of comparisions that this is a quality title kinda like Bioshock put me over the edge. I have followed NOTHING on this game at all, but I do like Batman as a comic book character. I fully expect to be pleasantly surprised.

I have off the next 3 days of work, so I'll dig in a little bit. I'll be pumped to be getting a 30 dollar new hockey game next month as well due to the gift card.

EzLink

Banned
Ohohohoh yeah, this game is all sorts of badass. I just defeated
Bane, and now I'm on my way to the Batcave

So much fun, so much atmosphere, and so much goddam Batman that I don't know if I'll need another game this year (besides Scribblenauts).

Also, did anyone notice towards the beginning of the game in one of the little siderooms
the poster with the penguin on it?
I love badass references like that

Kingpen said:
I've really tapered off of buying new games at this point in my life, but the 30 dollar gift card, high praise, and just mention of comparisions that this is a quality title kinda like Bioshock put me over the edge. I have followed NOTHING on this game at all, but I do like Batman as a comic book character. I fully expect to be pleasantly surprised.

I have off the next 3 days of work, so I'll dig in a little bit. I'll be pumped to be getting a 30 dollar new hockey game next month as well due to the gift card.

I'm just renting it for 30 days(rental charge+ 1.75 restocking fee) and I already have my copy reserved. Due to the length of the game that should be plenty of time for me to achieve ephemeral fantasia.

demolitio

Finally got to pick my game up off my porch after a 20 minute stand down. A bee was determined to get into the house every time I tried to open the door to get the game. How dare he try to stop me from playing this game!

JambiBum

demolitio said:
Finally got to pick my game up off my porch after a 20 minute stand down. A bee was determined to get into the house every time I tried to open the door to get the game. How dare he try to stop me from playing this game!

lol. Bees. The anti bats.

Barrett2

demolitio said:

Did you knock over his honeycomb rack?

demolitio

lawblob said:
Did you knock over his honeycomb rack?

No, now is not the time to wage war on two fronts. First the Joker, then the bees. Last time those suckers stung me multiple times on the forehead so I have to be properly armed.

Kard8p3

How are the boss fights in this game? I've read some reviews saying they were great and some saying they're the only bad part of a great game.

mileS

TheExodu5 said:
A further out camera would emphasize the lack of AA.

Both games have identical textures (and the PC version has better textures).

yup.

Maybe in the demo the 360's build was a bit further along and had slightly better textures. I couldn't really tell but theres a lot of people here who could. But its pretty clear after watching that video and looking at the screens from the final game that there is no difference in the ps3/360 textures at all.

demolitio said:

:lol I've had this happen to me before

EzLink said:
Ohohohoh yeah, this game is all sorts of badass. I just defeated
Bane, and now I'm on my way to the Batcave

So much fun, so much atmosphere, and so much goddam Batman that I don't know if I'll need another game this year (besides Scribblenauts).

Also, did anyone notice towards the beginning of the game in one of the little siderooms
the poster with the penguin on it?
I love badass references like that
Try scanning the poster next time. ;)

This goes for anything that is out of the ordinary - objects you haven't seen elsewhere in the game. 8/10 times, it's a Riddle Solution.

JambiBum

Kard8p3 said:
How are the boss fights in this game? I've read some reviews saying they were great and some saying they're the only bad part of a great game.

I've done two so far.
the first run in with scare crow and then bane
and they both were pretty good.

EzLink

Banned
Kard8p3 said:

I've only done 2 so far, but they definately feel how they should for a Batman game. One was really unique, and the other was just a helluva lot of fun. From what I hear the final confrontation is disappointing, but from what I've experienced and read every other boss battle up to that one is well done.

JRW

lol that was pretty cool when...

First off my 360 has RROD twice over the last 4 years so when I encountered Scarecrow last night and the game appears to lockup solid / audio and graphic glitches started occurring I actually thought I was about to experience RROD #3, but it turned out to be intentional glitches just to mess with you lol, Good stuff

TheExodu5

Banned
mileS said:
yup.

Maybe in the demo the 360's build was a bit further along and had slightly better textures. I couldn't really tell but theres a lot of people here who could. But its pretty clear after watching that video and looking at the screens from the final game that there is no difference in the ps3/360 textures at all.

I compared all 3 demos myself. I compared wall textures, as well as the checkered texture on Batman's chest. Both the PS3 and 360 demos were identical. PC demo was sharper, especially when it came to Batman's checkered chest (which was clearly defined, and not fuzzy like the console versions).

The only thing that bothered me in the demo is the PS3 version seemed to have tearing that the 360 version didn't. TheLensOfTruth seemed to suggest both versions had tearing though.

I still think the 360 version looked a little better overall though. I'd probably chalk that up to the SSAO shadowing. TheLensOfTruth says PS3 has nicer self-shadows, but IMO, both versions have pretty terrible self shadowing (including the PC version), so I don't really see that as a big plus.

Still went with the PS3 version for the content (that and the boxart really goes well with the PS3 case design :p).

EzLink

Banned
Revolutionary said:
Try scanning the poster next time. ;)

This goes for anything that is out of the ordinary - objects you haven't seen elsewhere in the game. 8/10 times, it's a Riddle Solution.

Badass! :D I love the Riddler challenges... it's an absolutely great way to not only add rewarding replay value but also effectively incorporate one of Batman's best villains :D

Do you get anything if you find all trophies/solve all of his riddles though (other than the achievements/trophies)? I haven't even been noticing if they even do stuff or not once you collect/solve a certain amount (other than XP)

JRW said:
lol that was pretty cool when...

First off my 360 has RROD twice over the last 4 years so when I encountered Scarecrow last night and the game appears to lockup solid / audio and graphic glitches started occurring I actually thought I was about to experience RROD #3, but it turned out to be intentional glitches just to mess with you lol, Good stuff
Warning: do not highlight this quote unless you're very far in the game.

That said...
Yes, it was quite awesome. I was actually streaming it on Livestream at the time, and I thought it screwed up my PS3. I absolutely panicked, turned off the stream, ran to my PS3 to check it... and then the FMV comes up. :|
Duped total.

EzLink said:
Badass! :D I love the Riddler challenges... it's an absolutely great way to not only add rewarding replay value but also effectively incorporate one of Batman's best villains :D

Do you get anything if you find all trophies/solve all of his riddles though (other than the achievements/trophies)? I haven't even been noticing if they even do stuff or not once you collect/solve a certain amount (other than XP)
The riddles unlock Bios, Character Trophies, and Challenge Rooms.

However, when you 100% it, you don't get anything special for it (unfortunately). Well, aside from closure.lol

Top Bottom