• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

jkoopa

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
I can't get through my shitty local Toys 'R Us' phone system to speak to an actual human being.

Does that $30 gift card when you buy Batman: AA apply to all stores?

Yup. It even says you can use it online.

Red

What are the question marks on the walls for? Are they just hints that a trophy is in that certain area? I thought the Riddler was supposed to provide challenges for you to figure out. Just started the game and couldn't figure out what to do right at the start, in the cell with the question marks and the words "hell" and "help" on the walls. Do I need to trigger an event before the puzzles can be solved?

Also, loooooooove the combat. Feels so satisfying, reminds me of Assassin's Creed, which was, up till now, my favorite combat system in a game. Hard mode is fantastic.

stupei

-COOLIO- said:
is the game challenging? the demo was way too easy but that was the first 5 minutes. is it really going to get me thinking and take some twitch reactions though? are there gunna be easy button gargoyles everywhere than let me zip in take out a dude and zip out, rinse and repeat ad nasuem?

Much more challenging than the demo (especially if you go with hard, obviously) and gargoyles are not always an option.

Crunched said:
Do I need to trigger an event before the puzzles can be solved?

Yes.

JRW

2&2 said:
What about aliasing? Did they mention that? I think a lot of these are not nearly as noticeable as the PS3 version looking a lot more aliased than the 360 one, IMO. I found the PS3 version overall less pleasing visually for that reason. That was the decider for me.

Definitely more aliasing in PS3 version from my own comparisons but nothing major.

mileS

Chrange said:
No, they don't. The 360's textures are sharper/clearer in numerous spots.

I hate to sound like a fanboy but... you're wrong. They might be in the demo but that build of the game has been around since E3.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=14110

If it makes you feel better thinking the 360 version looks sharper and "clearer" then go right ahead. Fact is they are pretty much the same minus the camera. Anyways this is silly. The game is great I can't wait to play more.

Chrange

Banned
mileS said:
I hate to sound like a fanboy but... you're wrong. They might be in the demo but that build of the game has been around since E3.

If it makes you feel better thinking the 360 version looks sharper and "clearer" then go right ahead. Fact is they are pretty much the same minus the camera. Anyways this is silly. The game is great I can't wait to play more.

Um...even lensoftruth says they are better on the 360 version. Hell, they even give the 360 a point for having better texturing on the Wayne Enterprises building, and that advantage is seen elsewhere as well. Better textures, antialiasing, SSAO, less tearing...

So...you're wrong.

Barakov

Just defeated
Bane.

This is really great so far. Some thoughts:

-I noticed the opening section was a little different.
The walk with the joker seemed a little longer than in the demo.

-The sections with
Zsaz and Scarecrow
seemed woefully short. Although, in
Scarecrow's
case it was pretty awesome. Then again with the number of villains this game has I wouldn't expect the sections to be much longer that that.
The fight with Bane
seems to continue this trend.

-Everybody's knows the graphics are pretty great but Rocksteady definitely nailed the music for this. I'd definitely like to see a official soundtrack.

-The combat seems pretty simplistic so far. For most fights I've been able to get away with just using normal strikes and then using a ground takedown, unless it's interrupted by another enemy. As I gain more skills I expect I'll be able to change it up.

For those who got it early and beat it already, is there a new game plus? This is something I can definitely see myself going through multiple times.

Chrange said:
Um...even lensoftruth says they are better on the 360 version. Hell, they even give the 360 a point for having better texturing on the Wayne Enterprises building, and that advantage is seen elsewhere as well. Better textures, antialiasing, SSAO, less tearing...

So...you're wrong.
The Wayne Enterprise building is a skybox. :lol

It's hilarious that they even used that to compare.

Would've been better off if they used the actual textures you walk on/walk past as a comparison.

Barakov said:
For those who got it early and beat it already, is there a new game plus? This is something I can definitely see myself going through multiple times.
Nope.
You have to use a new file to start the campaign again, with a blank slate.

Chrange

Banned
Revolutionary said:
The Wayne Enterprise building is a skybox. :lol

It's hilarious that they even used that to compare.

Would've been better off if they used the actual textures you walk on/walk past as a comparison.

A skybox is still a texture :p

Clipjoint

Just a general note to everyone: if you can't figure out a riddle, especially out in the Arkham grounds, come back to it later. Don't spend more than 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do, because chances are, you don't have the tools to solve it yet. At some point you'll probably get maps that make things WAY easier.

Zeliard

lawblob said:
Might want to hurry, my local TRU were all sold out by noon.

I finally got through to someone, but unfortunately, the fucking PS3 version is sold out (my 360 RROD'd and is in the shop).

Ihya

Chrange said:

So...you're wrong.

Here is the full quote, I hate it when people misrepresent stuff.

"This race was so tight, we had to go back to the video again and keep a score card per shot. To our surprise, the score card sided in favor of the PlayStation 3. The PlayStation 3 won with better mipmapping, better overall shadows, better self-shadows, a better camera view, and better light sources. It wasn’t a run away win, though. It is important to note that the Xbox 360 won for the glass issue, occlusion shadows, motion blur, and we even gave a point to Xbox 360 for having a cleaner texture on the Wayne building."

Seriously, they both look amazing, you can buy either PS3 or 360 versions in full confidence you have not got the "gimped" version.

tim1138

Barakov said:
-Everybody's knows the graphics are pretty great but Rocksteady definitely nailed the music for this. I'd definitely like to see a official soundtrack.

This a thousand times. The piano piece that plays early on the game is amazing and the rest of the soundtrack so far is just spot on. It's a shame there's more people comparing pixels and textures between versions than there are discussing this gem.

Barrett2

Zeliard said:
Wait, they price match gift card offers?

Yes, but not willingly. I had a little rant about it on the previous page. You basically have to fight for it. I would print out the Best Buy page below for proof, and don't leave til they give it to you for $40.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=page&contentId=1118843518460&id=cat12098

How do you handle a price match if an instant gift card is included with a purchase?
The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer

sinnergy

Holy shit this game is awesome, it's also cool that the first part is different from the demo. I am amazed at how packed this game is, man it's almost a Rare collectAton.

Love the Graphics the sound, but the real winner goes to the gameplay which is SuperB, you can really choose the way you wanna take down your enemies.

One time I just sprayed the goo on the floor and waited for some fools to walk over it an detonate :lol

I also love all the Joker dialogue, he's always babbling on the internal mic system.. haahhahahaha

mileS

tim1138 said:
This a thousand times. The piano piece that plays early on the game is amazing and the rest of the soundtrack so far is just spot on. It's a shame there's more people comparing pixels and textures between versions than there are discussing this gem.

This usually happens right before the game is released because a lot of people here have both consoles and want to get the best version possible. Sorry to continue the topic earlier I was just trying to clear it up for some people.

Joei

Zeliard said:
Wait, they price match gift card offers?

Yes. I purchased my copy at Best Buy at 11 AM. They price-matched the TRU ad I had and gave me a 30$ gift card which I'm going to use for Metroid Prime Trilogy and another TRU price-match so I can get another GC game for half-off (thinking of SPM or maybe Punch-Out... don't know).

jkoopa

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
I finally got through to someone, but unfortunately, the fucking PS3 version is sold out (my 360 RROD'd and is in the shop).

You can always buy the 360 version now..and return it for the PS3 version when they have it back in stock. Just don't break the shrink wrap.

Zeliard

Joei said:
Yes. I purchased my copy at Best Buy at 11 AM. They price-matched the TRU ad I had and gave me a 30$ gift card which I'm going to use for Metroid Prime Trilogy and another TRU price-match so I can get another GC game for half-off (thinking of SPM or maybe Punch-Out... don't know).

Where did you get the TRU ad from? Their site doesn't seem to list the gift card deal.

jkoopa said:
You can always buy the 360 version now..and return it for the PS3 version when they have it back in stock. Just don't break the shrink wrap.

Yeah, but I wanna play. :p

So I'm up to the part where
the Joker gives a 2 minute countdown to save the security guards and after saving them
I've no idea where to go.

Joei

Zeliard said:
Where did you get the TRU ad from? Their site doesn't seem to list the gift card deal.

Yeah, but I wanna play. :p

I got the ad from a local TRU. I walked in and they had one sitting there. To view the GC deal online you have to enter your zipcode to bring up the ad for your area, otherwise when you look at Batman it'll only have their online deals (which is Lego Batman and something else). Also, the $30 deal is already past. You had to purchase Batman from 10AM-2PM. At this point they're offering a $20 GC for the rest of the week, which still isn't a bad deal. If you have an ad, however, you still might be able to get the $30 GC price match from BB if the associate isn't looking at the specifics.

Zeliard

Joei said:
I got the ad from a local TRU. I walked in and they had one sitting there. To view the GC deal online you have to enter your zipcode to bring up the ad for your area, otherwise when you look at Batman it'll only have their online deals (which is Lego Batman and something else). Also, the $30 deal is already past. You had to purchase Batman from 10AM-2PM. At this point they're offering a $20 GC for the rest of the week, which still isn't a bad deal. If you have an ad, however, you still might be able to get the $30 GC price match from BB if the associate isn't looking at the specifics.

Yep, ended up finding it on their website through flash. It's at $20 now, but better than nothing.

Off to Best Buy. Hope I don't get an asshole clerk.

vg260

JRW said:
Definitely more aliasing in PS3 version from my own comparisons but nothing major.

This is the final version you're talking about, right?

It wasn't offensive in the demo, but for some reason aliasing sticks out to me more than a lot of other graphic stuff. I'm sure others' mileage will vary.

vg260

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Is there a new game+ guys?

No, according to the developer's FAQ on the official game forum. :(

I hate when developers don't provide this option if you've completed the game. They can always disable achievements for new game + if they feel it makes it too easy.

Hopefully the game gives you a lot of playtime as a fully-powered-up Batman, and doesn't leave all the cool stuff to when the game's almost over.

EDIT:crap, sorry for posting two in a row

stupei

2&2 said:
No, according to the developer's FAQ on the official game forum. :(

I hate when developers don't provide this option if you've completed the game. They can always disable achievements for new game + if they feel it makes it too easy.

Hopefully the game gives you a lot of playtime as a fully-powered-up Batman, and doesn't leave all the cool stuff to when the game's almost over.

EDIT:crap, sorry for posting two in a row

Well since you're playing the whole game in one location, some of the "later stages" are really only inaccessible to you early in the game because you lack the proper equipment. Opening the world up entirely would complicate how the narrative progresses from one point to the next, so while it's kind of annoying I can also see where they're coming from.

lostxii

tim1138 said:

Definitely. In fact, I'm hoping to run into longer version of it later in the game.

tim1138

lostxii said:
Definitely. In fact, I'm hoping to run into longer version of it later in the game.

As am I.
This game NEEDS a soundtrack. Maybe thats the free DLC advertised as coming soon on the games main menu? One can dream...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I didnt preorder from Gamestop, but when i just picked it up the game had a sticker on the cover about the 'Scarecrow Gamestop bonus'.... Is it actually inside the package, or????

EDIT-- Answered my own question...:lol Theres a code inside the game package...sweet!!

Penguin

Jeff Stephen said:
the Joker gives a 2 minute countdown to save the security guards and after saving them

I'm at the same place.

If anyone wants to help us find the Doctor's note, I'm sure missing something obvious but still

Chrange

Banned
Jeff Stephen said:

I think you mean the room that has two guards strung up over electrified water. Use a batarang to kill the power, then hack the door to get out.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Amir0x said:
holy jesus fucking christ.

Game of the goddamn year

Ahhhhhh

Must stay out of this thread till I can play.

mileS said:

Wow, team did a pretty dang good job for a duel effort. Seems like you really can't go wrong with either one.

Penguin

Chrange said:
I think you mean the room that has two guards strung up over electrified water. Use a batarang to kill the power, then hack the door to get out.

I'm a little before that... maybe?

You had to cut down the chandelier to free the two men, and now I got to find the Doctor's note in the mansion, but I've been through it 3 times and can't find anything

Awesome just picked it up from my Toys R Us which marks it the first game I have ever purchased from that store. They were out of the PS3 version so I just picked up the 360. I was debating keeping it in its packaging and trying to exchange it tomorrow for the PS3 what do you guys think?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Awesome just picked it up from my Toys R Us which marks it the first game I have ever purchased from that store. They were out of the PS3 version so I just picked up the 360. I was debating keeping it in its packaging and trying to exchange it tomorrow for the PS3 what do you guys think?

Just play the game now!!!! trust me, you'll thank us for it later!

Amir0x

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

This game is made of unlimited, endless win.

Top Bottom