• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Ridley327

Just as a heads up; the CE is looking to be in very limited supply. There's only three Best Buy stores in southern Minnesota that will actually be carrying the CE and one of them isn't the Mall of America location.

I'd say if you didn't pre-order it when you had the chance, you're going to be SOL.

Grrr I really want to check out the stuff on the behind the scenes DVD but I just can't pay that much. Not interested int he plastic batarang, tis' cool, just not my thing. Reserved my original copy today.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
innervision961 said:
Grrr I really want to check out the stuff on the behind the scenes DVD but I just can't pay that much. Not interested int he plastic batarang, tis' cool, just not my thing. Reserved my original copy today.
It'll be on youtube within a week.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Think I'll get the PC version as its going for £17.95, also uses windows Live and I have a 360 control pad on my PC.

I have a ATI card so no fancy physics for me :(

Sipowicz

Banned
i just played the demo of this. it was good but i have a few questions

1. can you hide enemies under the grates? it kept saying that enemies will check in the grates if they find an unconscious person. is there anyt way to hide an unconscious person?

2. one of the moves was press the red button and yellow button at the same time on the xbox controller but i couldn't pull it off. any ideas as to why?

Parham

Banned
Sipowicz said:
1. can you hide enemies under the grates? it kept saying that enemies will check in the grates if they find an unconscious person. is there anyt way to hide an unconscious person?

Not in the demo.

Sipowicz said:
2. one of the moves was press the red button and yellow button at the same time on the xbox controller but i couldn't pull it off. any ideas as to why?

What move?

Ephemeris

DrBo42 said:
:lol Do you have some?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...ace-and-tons-more-coming-to-playstation-home/

Sipowicz said:
i just played the demo of this. it was good but i have a few questions

1. can you hide enemies under the grates? it kept saying that enemies will check in the grates if they find an unconscious person.

They checked the grates, looking for you. (if a body is nearby)

Edit:

Kinda forgot to answer the second.

Sipowicz said:

That's a takedown move I believe; you can do one once your combo bar passes 5x. But it's only available while the chain is still intact.

Pro-tip: If you feel like you're gonna mess up the combo, hit both buttons immediately after getting 5x, even if you're not near the guy. Bats runs towards the nearest person (even if they're halfway across the room) and does it on 'em.

jdogmoney

Serph said:
i'd like it, but I don't think I can justify the $90 for a batarang :p

Yeah, I was pretty hesitant myself, but eventually the Batman nerd in me won out. It helps that I pre-ordered pretty early... Twenty bucks a week is a lot easier than a hundred all at once.

Okay, Ijust played the demo and my impressions are so so. . I like fairly how it plays, slightly complicated to learn initially, but no more than any modern action game.

I think the Joker looks pretty crazy, neat. I just think the demo is very short, not many enemies (just a couple of rooms). I would kind of like to play this game, I think it shows a lot of promise. I like the story scenes thus far, just want to see more.

What's with that terribly compressed video at the end? lol..

Just to clarify, I mean how the gameplay will actually be. How area exploration, if you can call it that, would play out in the macro scale.

Ephemeris

DrBo42 said:
Updated a bit.
I like how it's coming out. :D And:

neojubei said:
More pics

3814660455_c16993f932.jpg

3814660245_ca1b4ceeeb.jpg

3814660839_3b47b69fa0.jpg

DrBo42

Word. Next update will be about exclusives and pre-order bonuses. Should have probably did that in the initial roll-out...:lol

Ephemeris

DrBo42 said:
Word. Next update will be about exclusives and pre-order bonuses. Should have probably did that in the initial roll-out...:lol
You should be able to hijack the other posts if need be.:lol

Minamu

DrBo42 said:
I think if I made it any wider, people would start sending me hate PMs. I got hold of really awesome high res renders and I wanted to show them off in a large scale, while still keeping enough space for text. Had to compromise a bit. Sorry.
It's okay, I'll let it slide this time ;) It's not like everyone's surfing gaf on 40" 1080p from less than 1 meter anyway, like I do :)

Parham

Banned
DrBo42 said:
The official forum's FAQ has some good information which could be useful.

iammeiam

I'd preordered the CE way back when solely on a positive nerd reaction to the possibility of a 14" Batarang.

Sanity intervened about a month back, and I canceled my Amazon order.

Then this thread happened, I downloaded the 360 demo, and was motivated to repreorder the game. And since, between discounts and coupons, the CE cost me $76 at Amazon, it looks like I'll end up with a Batarang after all. And apparently some kind of free comic? I dunno.

I will probably be pretty heavily monitoring reviews, though. The stealth/silent takedown sections of the demo were fantastic, but they had to end it with the "here's a giant angry boss for a head-on battle" cutscene. I'm hoping the bulk of the game is the former.

Parham

Banned
iammeiam said:
I'd preordered the CE way back when solely on a positive nerd reaction to the possibility of a 14" Batarang.

Sanity intervened about a month back, and I canceled my Amazon order.

Then this thread happened, I downloaded the 360 demo, and was motivated to repreorder the game. And since, between discounts and coupons, the CE cost me $76 at Amazon, it looks like I'll end up with a Batarang after all. And apparently some kind of free comic? I dunno.

I will probably be pretty heavily monitoring reviews, though. The stealth/silent takedown sections of the demo were fantastic, but they had to end it with the "here's a giant angry boss for a head-on battle" cutscene. I'm hoping the bulk of the game is the former.

From the looks of it, the final cutscene in the demo doesn't actually occur that early into the game. In fact, many of the boss encounters in the game will occur towards the tail end of each level. So, in short, boss fights will be few and far between.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
OP has some great ideas but that font is a bit hard to read for the standard info. Awesome format, though.
Needs more "The cake is a lie".

newsguy said:
Wide OP is wide.

OP is probably optimized for 1280x800 resolution. It fits perfectly on my screen.

guys, I need some help. have anyone notice some red flashes appearing for a split seconds every now and then in the PS3 version demo? I thought it was some kind of effects at first that's a little bit distracting, but after playing the pc demo and didn't find anything like that. I start to fear that the problem is my ps3.

anyone?

Ephemeris

Callibretto said:
guys, I need some help. have anyone notice some red flashes appearing for a split seconds every now and then in the PS3 version demo? I thought it was some kind of effects at first that's a little bit distracting, but after playing the pc demo and didn't find anything like that. I start to fear that the problem is my ps3.

anyone?
Considering I've been playing the demo almost daily and never seen this, I think you have a serious issue on your hands...

jrricky

Banned
jdogmoney said:
Yeah, I was pretty hesitant myself, but eventually the Batman nerd in me won out. It helps that I pre-ordered pretty early... Twenty bucks a week is a lot easier than a hundred all at once.
How is that exactly?

EzLink

Banned
Wow, fantastic job OP. A very worthy official thread :D

Can't wait for some, uh, less seedy reviews to start pouring in. The 21st is embargo lift date, right?

jdogmoney

jrricky said:
How is that exactly?

I pre-ordered from a Gamestop in the mall, and every time I happened to be in the mall for whatever reason, I put down a little more on the game, ten, twenty bucks, whatever I had on me at the time.

Not so much with the instant gratification, but it's easier on the wallet.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Played the demo. Very nice. Reminds me a lot of MGS (using stealth and stealthy take downs).

EzLink

Banned
Vilix said:
Played the demo. Very nice. Reminds me a lot of MGS (using stealth and stealthy take downs).

I've only played the first MGS (never owned a Sony system) but I generally hate stealthy gameplay. The Twin Snakes and what I got from the AA demo are two shining examples of how to do stealth right. For me, stealth games usually overemphasize that aspect to the point where it is more paramount than the actual fun factor.

Mideon

Shopto still have pre orders for the ce left in the uk for both Ps3 and 360 pre ordered mine a couple days ago.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ephemeris said:
Pro-tip: If you feel like you're gonna mess up the combo, hit both buttons immediately after getting 5x, even if you're not near the guy. Bats runs towards the nearest person (even if they're halfway across the room) and does it on 'em.
Yeah, Batman's attack range is insane.

I think the move is called a combat takedown, and you can even do it on dudes that are laying on the ground, as long as they're still conscious. You can use one every 5x during the combo, so you can do one when you get to 5 hits, 10 hits, 15, etc. I've gotten my combo up to 13x on the second group of guys in the first demo room.

These moves are awesome, I've seen Batman like, headbutt a dude and then snap his arm, or leap across the room, grab a dude's leg and put him in a brief like boston crab wrestling move and then snap his knee or some junk. They're RIDICULOUS.

DrBo42

ZealousD said:
OP has some great ideas but that font is a bit hard to read for the standard info. Awesome format, though.

I don't really find it that hard to read, but that's probably because I've been staring at this font for a while. If people want, I can change the standard info font to something friendlier.

EzLink

Banned
Htown said:

I think the move is called a combat takedown, and you can even do it on dudes that are laying on the ground, as long as they're still conscious. You can use one every 5x during the combo, so you can do one when you get to 5 hits, 10 hits, 15, etc. I've gotten my combo up to 13x on the second group of guys in the first demo room.

These moves are awesome, I've seen Batman like, headbutt a dude and then snap his arm, or leap across the room, grab a dude's leg and put him in a brief like boston crab wrestling move and then snap his knee or some junk. They're RIDICULOUS.

So THAT's how you do it! Every 5th combo eh? Awesome. I've only pulled it off once because I didn't know what I was doing

DrBo42 said:
I don't really find it that hard to read, but that's probably because I've been staring at this font for a while. If people want, I can change the standard info font to something friendlier.

Font is great, it's just that the OP is really wide

Parham

Banned
DrBo42 said:

The font is fine. I think people are having a difficult time reading it because the backwards "e" is used excessively.

Ephemeris

Htown said:

12x is my max. >__>

Obligatory:

wuo3n7.gif

Parham

Banned
One interesting thing I noticed in the demo is that the left wall in Zsas's room can be demolished using the explosive gel.

EzLink

Banned
azentium said:
One interesting thing I noticed in the demo is that the left wall in Zsas's room can be demolished using the explosive gel.

Yep! There is also a vent in the final room on the wall, around the same height as one of the gargoyles. Detective mode shows that it's the same color as other removable vents, so I'm guessing you eventually get a gadget that can pull the vent covers off of walls

Great job on the OP!
I haven't really been all that interested in this game but after watching a lot of peoples impressions of the demo and reading some of the story in the OP I think I might have to check it out.

was blown away by the demo - it felt like gears of war. cant wait for this. it looks dark and serious and not another crappy movie cash in.

Joei

Thanks a lot DrBo, I've been waiting for this official thread for far, far too long. :)

I really can't wait for this game. This is a game I've been following since the beginning of the year and we're finally only a week away!

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Day 1. Probably going to be my GOTY. And I had no hype before the demo. I just can't wait any longer for this.

I cannot wait any longer to play this game. I simply cannot. Outside of Street Fighter 4, it's been years since I anticipated a title this much.

Ephemeris

Joei said:
Thanks a lot DrBo, I've been waiting for this official thread for far, far too long. :)

I really can't wait for this game. This is a game I've been following since the beginning of the year and we're finally only a week away!
I know how you feel. I was all metal-gear-solid-exclamation-mark from the time it was announced on the cover of Game Informer. Comes complete with the official website with the wacky timer and the reaction to the models. Gears of Batman anyone? :lol
I prefer 'serious bat' myself.

For some of us, the wait was even longer, considering the EA / Pandemic Dark-Knight-meets-GTA game that was supposed to be coming out..

Anyways, Rant over.:lol

Top Bottom