• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

jdogmoney

Vilix said:
Okay, after thoroughly playing through the demo 2 dozen times I'm bored with it. I'd wish there had been more. I'll be Gameflying this one. I don't want to end up being excited about a demo only to end up with a game that just isn't for me. Like Overlord II. :(

Do you ever buy games after Gameflying?

Because I'm all for trying before you buy, but this one seems like it will have a bit of depth to it...

wRATH2x

Banned
Wait! Mark Hamil won't be voicing the Joker after this? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What if they were to revive BTAS? he shouldn't stop!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
jdogmoney said:
Do you ever buy games after Gameflying?

Because I'm all for trying before you buy, but this one seems like it will have a bit of depth to it...

Actually, it's been reverse for me. Every game I've bought this gen I've bought day one through Gamefly. Not because I tried before I bought. But because I knew the back grounds, had kept up with previews, hands on impressions, and saw the ratings. Also, some of the demos were lengthy and I liked what I was playing. However, in this case, I know little to nothing about this game. What I have played is very good. And I love how the game mixes stelth, action, and puzzle (investigating). I guess the reason why I haven't paid attention is because games based on comic book heroes have been mixed and average. This, however, seems to be the expection. And, if that is the case, then I'm really looking forward to being delightfully surprised. ^.^

Minamu

EzLink said:
So the stars must have aligned properly just now because I was in the final room of the demo on the last goon, and right as he walks under the gargoyle I'm on top of he shouts "Where are you?!", to which I whisper "Here" before doing an inverted takedown :lol :lol :lol

:D
lol we obviously need a game where we can talk to the AI & say crazy Batman quotes to **** with 'em :lol Do it Eidos!

TheFallen

It's a really good OP, but that font is annoying as hell for body text. Would be nice if you can just use the font for image headings.

azentium said:
Try updating the driver for your video card. If you have an nVidia card, download the most recent driver here. If you have an ATi card, download the latest Catalyst Control from here.

Edit: My mistake, I didn't know you were talking about having issues on the PS3. If that's the case, delete the demo and download it again. If the same issue persists, then the display card is causing the problem.

I already tried deleting and downloading the demo and it still have problem. that sucks. I have no problem when playing inFamous yesterday, but now I'm afraid to buy the game on ps3 in fear it has the same problem as the demo.

best course of action is probably going for the pc version, although I don't really like playing on pc. uncomfortable chair and smaller monitor and speaker.

now I really wish that slim ps3 rumor for this year is true because looks like I'm gonna have to trade soon. sigh. why now of all times.

Parham

Banned
Wrath2X said:
How many villains are there? Other than what was confirmed of course.

The only ones that we know of:

The Joker
Harley Quinn
Mr. Zsasz
Killer Croc
Bane
Poison Ivy
Scarecrow
The Riddler

I'm not sure if any of you guys consider any of these a spoiler, so I'll just spoiler tag them.

is there any chance hush would make an appearance? is that the guys name? i haven't read that graphic novel yet so i dont know the backstory or if that would be possible

FHIZ

I think at this point there aren't any more characters to be revealed. You'll see like Two Face and Mr. Freeze in the game, only in character profiles. I don't even know if you'll see the Riddler past the challenges.

Captain N

azentium said:
The only ones that we know of:

The Joker
Harley Quinn
Mr. Zsasz
Killer Croc
Bane
Poison Ivy
Scarecrow
The Riddler

I'm not sure if any of you guys consider any of these a spoiler, so I'll just spoiler tag them.

I can add one to that list

Clayface

Parham

Banned
brendanrfoley said:
There are several good villains not on that list, such as
Catwoman, Penguin and Two Face
. Sequel?

If they're not in this game, then they will probably make an appearance in the inevitable sequel.

EzLink

Banned
So, I just watched Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker in a sad attempt to satisfy my bat-hunger whilst waiting for this game.

This movie was the first time I had ever seen anything from BB, and I must say:

Holy
Shit

It was so fucking awesome, I don't even know where to begin. Seeing everything fifty years later from my beloved TAS was simply phenomenal. Old Bruce and Joker were obviously the big treats, but even Terry was pretty damn badass. Is the whole series as great as RotJ, or was that movie just like the pinnacle of the show?

Penguin

I think Return of the Joker is the pinnacle of the series really.

There are some truly outstanding episodes in the series, but yeah nothing comes close to the quality of Return of the Joker.

Holy calzones, I never did Return of the Joker for my thread.
I must remedy this tomorrow.

EzLink said:
So, I just watched Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker in a sad attempt to satisfy my bat-hunger whilst waiting for this game.

Holy
Shit

It was so fucking awesome, I don't even know where to begin. Seeing everything fifty years later from my beloved TAS was simply phenomenal. Old Bruce and Joker were obviously the big treats, but even Terry was pretty damn badass. Is the whole series as great as RotJ, or was that movie just like the pinnacle of the show?
There were a handful of great episodes, but on a consistency-of-quality factor, it's not as good as "Batman: TAS."

It was good for saturday mornings when you're a kid waiting for pancakes.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm really torn on getting this for PS3, or waiting for the PC version. My PC isn't great but it can run it at 1900x1080 with everything on. Framerate isn't spectacular but it looks nice.... but the extended wait when there's no other games around (and will be next month)... hrrmmm

Ephemeris

EzLink said:

Holy
Shit

I fondly remember it being awesome. Maybe I should give it another go.:D

I loved batman beyond until the Justice League tie in introduced the shitty twist
that Bruce is Terry's biological father

Ephemeris

Gully State said:
I loved batman beyond until the Justice League tie in introduced the shitty twist
that Bruce is Terry's biological father
Definitely was meh.

But that still was a great episode/tie-in.

JLU was just awesome, period.

HiResDes

Teetris said:
Damn, why so late for the PC version?
I have an ATI card so it wouldn't benefit me much to wait for the PC version anyway...Why does this game support an physics engine, which can only be experienced by a select few? Seems like bullshit to me.

Mrfb17

Neo Member
Just to give all UK Gaffers a heads up. Collectors edition is now SOLD OUT everywhere >_<.

Play / Amazon / Game / Shopto / Gameseek

No where stocks the CE now. Hopefully Eidos will release some more but for now looks like thats it. This applies to 360 and PS3! Good news for Rocksteady if they have sold this many tho!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
azentium said:
If they're not in this game, then they will probably make an appearance in the inevitable sequel.

Mr. Freeze please. Inevitable that we'll be able to grapple onto icicles for the boss fight but it'd be awesome.

Parham

Banned
HiResDes said:
I have an ATI card so it wouldn't benefit me much to wait for the PC version anyway...Why does this game support an physics engine, which can only be experienced by a select few? Seems like bullshit to me.

As I've said before, another big reason why they've delayed the game for the PC is because they fear that piracy will hurt sales for the game on all three platforms. This is a tactic that many publishers, like Capcom and Ubisoft, use as attempt to curb piracy. However, we have seen time and time again that delaying of the PC version hurts more than it helps.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
EzLink said:

Holy
Shit

I never actually saw the movie, but the show was pretty good. The villains weren't very iconic, though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DrBo42 said:
Seriously? Oh boy. Friend you have to catch up on a little gem called Batman: The Animated Series.

Maybe he's saying "holy fuck" because he has seen TAS?

kitch9

Banned
HiResDes said:
If you must see flapping bits of paper and flags then yes you are missing loads. Me? I'll take 1080p and 60fps thanks!

Ephemeris

So word is.. some people will be getting the game today.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a villain is born. Out of jealousy and contempt.

azentium said:
Many publishers believe that if they release the PC version of a game simultaneously with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version, they run the risk of PC piracy cannibalizing the sales for all three platforms. However, they don't recognize that delaying it will ultimately lead to many potential customers losing interest in the game. This in turn leads to considerably lower sales on the PC platform. So, in short, it's a shortsighted method that publishers use to prevent piracy from effecting a game's sales numbers.

I can't remember the article but there are public statistical data points that give credence to this assertion you are against.

In fact it was related to a piracy topic discussed in this forum.

EekTheKat

EzLink said:

Holy
Shit

The uncut version of RotJ was ridiculously awesome for it's time, especially the flashback sequence (which was all sorts of butchered in the edited for TV version). Joker in the flashback went from holy shit scary awesome to Hanna Barbara slapstick in the edited one.

The edited one was decent, but it seriously lacked the punch of the uncut one.

Ephemeris

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Cool, anyone else notice the new type of takedown at 2:16?

I'm struggling to get over 2200 in the demo. Any tips other than get x6 variation bonus on all 3 fights? (Which I've not yet managed).

It goes to 7x variation btw.

Turfster

Shake Appeal said:
DutchGAF, mobilise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN9QJ3FB1A4

Any choice quotes?
* The game takes place on the entirety of Arkham island, not just in the asylum
* You use the detective view to follow the alcohol fumes from a guy that drank too much.

That's pretty much the only interesting new (for me, anyway) information, the rest was 2 guys rambling on about the movies, basic gameplay, and how much they liked it.

Ephemeris

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Ooh go on then. What am I missing??
You're doing quite well for someone whose
parents aren't dead

You're incorporating the batarangs, right?

And I've never gotten higher than 7x. Granted, never heard of 8x either.

Parham

Banned
mutantmagnet said:
I can't remember the article but there are public statistical data points that give credence to this assertion you are against.

In fact it was related to a piracy topic discussed in this forum.

If you could find that article, it would be very much appreciated. :)

Ephemeris said:
You're doing quite well for someone whose
parents aren't dead

You're incorporating the batarangs, right?

And I've never gotten higher than 7x. Granted, never heard of 8x either.

:lol :lol

Aye, maybe I am.

At the moment I'm incorporating: Batarang, Strike, Evade, Counter, Cape Stun, Floor Takedown and Brutal Takedown (my term). Hmmm, my meagre math. skills tell me that's 7 although I wasn't sure that evade couted into the variation bonus.

Maybe it's that I'm starting with a batarang rather than incorporating it into the middle of a combo? Maybe I should always start with either a counter or strike and then fit everything else in from there.

*Strokes chiselled jaw with fierce deliberation*

Top Bottom