• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Penguin

Yeah wanted to say awesome job on the OP.

And since people were discussing Batman TAS earlier, I recommended the episodes Trial and Lock-Up for more Arkham Asylum centric episodes.

KingDirk

I had not seen those character designs before reading that OP...

The designs are very 'Tim Burton's Batman,' except instead of looking like the 80s film it's like they're 'interpreting' the characters the same way Burton's interpreting Alice in Wonderland. Not a fan.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
azentium said:
The font is fine. I think people are having a difficult time reading it because the backwards "e" is used excessively.

The word "THE" looks kinda like it says "TITS"

Ephemeris

Finally got to 13x. Ironically, I got it while playing the 360 demo, for the second time ever.

Surely it's the hours of practice and not actually the 360 controller.

.. right?

Nice OP, kudos. So this is finally gonna be the hit Eidos has been craving for, ever since, what, the first Tomb Raider? They have been publishing utter crap. Or am I wrong?

Squeenix is probably going to be happy about this game to?

I wonder what deal whit WB is? Whether it's only comprised of one game or more? If Eidos is only allowed to do one game, a license for a follow up could be a little more expensive me thinks. Since I am pretty sure this game will end up doing very well, Dark Knight style that is. And it will boast the value of future bats games tremendously.

Now, if only Sega will get Aliens right.

Aske

Fantastic OP!

I've been on media blackout for this game ever since the first developer walkthrough. Haven't touched the demo, so everything will be fresh when I finally play it on the 25th.

I pre-ordered the CE on principle, but I only got around to doing it last week. I'm in Canada, so I hope the potential CE shortage doesn't cause problems on release day. It's not a huge deal if I miss out, but I don't want to get stuck waiting an extra week for a new shipment that may not exist.

schuey7

Just played the demo on my pc and I loved the looks and the graphics.Dunno why but the cutscenes really impressed me.Anyway once I got the hang of the controls I really enjoyed the demo .The hand to hand combat felt good and gliding in on an unsuspecting goon feels like its never going to get old.Anyway wish the demo was longer especially considering it clocked in at a hefty 2 GB.Can't wait for the full game.:D

Minamu

Callibretto said:
guys, I need some help. have anyone notice some red flashes appearing for a split seconds every now and then in the PS3 version demo? I thought it was some kind of effects at first that's a little bit distracting, but after playing the pc demo and didn't find anything like that. I start to fear that the problem is my ps3.

anyone?
No worries. I don't know why this happens but I've seen it in a few clips on the interwebz as well. For example, i saw it happen to a guy who was about to throw a concrete block at Batman's head. Perhaps it's an indicator for a one hit kill sort of thing?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Going pre-order this game soon, but i'm unsure what version to get. I can get the 360 version for like $15-20 cheaper then the PS3 version. But the PS3 has exclusive challenge rooms! >_>

EzLink

Banned
Here are a few random details I noticed from the demo:

-Batman's costume gets a small rip in it near the right shoulder after the "explosion" you feel while crawling through the first vent
-After doing an inverted take down, the goon will hang there and can still very much thrash about, sometimes with a heart rate that stays all the way up at what seems to be the max (157... I've never seen anyone higher than that), but after several seconds will suddenly drop down to 30-32ish and become unconscious. That' can't be good for you :p
-The "scripted" dialog isn't always the same. While crawling through the vent to the last room, there are a few different ways the Joker begins his PA announcement about Batman being loose in the asylum
-Some of Batman's dialog is internal. When he talks about Harley thinking he is trapped in the Zasz room and how she never was very bright, and also when you first encounter armed thugs and you hear Batman say "the direct approach is suicide", if you look you can see that his mouth isn't moving. You are just hearing his thoughts

EzLink said:
Here are a few random details I noticed from the demo:

-Batman's costume gets a small rip in it near the right shoulder after the "explosion" you feel while crawling through the first vent
-After doing an inverted take down, the goon will hang there and can still very much thrash about, sometimes with a heart rate that stays all the way up at what seems to be the max (157... I've never seen anyone higher than that), but after several seconds will suddenly drop down to 30-32ish and become unconscious. That' can't be good for you :p
-The "scripted" dialog isn't always the same. While crawling through the vent to the last room, there are a few different ways the Joker begins his PA announcement about Batman being loose in the asylum
-Some of Batman's dialog is internal. When he talks about Harley thinking he is trapped in the Zasz room and how she never was very bright, and also when you first encounter armed thugs and you hear Batman say "the direct approach is suicide", if you look you can see that his mouth isn't moving. You are just hearing his thoughts

To add to this, I've noticed:

- When the thugs get 'terrrified' they stop working toogether. Sometimes they'll find downed comrades and start calling for back-up and his cohorts simply refuse to help :lol

- As I mentioned in the previous thread, you can actually see the unconscious foes still breathing (their chests expand and contract) compared to the completely still dead bodies strewn around.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
As I mentioned in the previous thread, you can actually see the unconscious foes still breathing (their chests expand and contract) compared to the completely still dead bodies strewn around.
I checked this out the other day and it blew my mind, its so crazy that they added this in.

EzLink said:
I gather he gets more beat up as the game goes on. In the latest gadgets trailer, you can see him with scratches on his left arm and blood on his chin.

I only spotted this thread while looking for the old one. Glad we Batfans finally have a proper home.

Darkflight said:
I checked this out the other day and it blew my mind, its so crazy that they added this in.
To blow your mind further: if you examine any goons you took out with bone-breaking attacks, you can see the broken bones in Detective Mode.

I posted earlier asking if someone had this problem on ps3 Batman demo and since looks like it only happen to me, it means something's wrong with my ps3.

I was wondering if someone can tell me what might be the problem, HDD? graphic card? etc

here's how it looks like, sorry for the small pic. I take it using my old digital camera to record me playing the demo and then use screen capture while the video playing on pc to get these shot.

batmanbugavi00008.png

batmanbugavi00003.png

batmanbugavi00004.png

batmanbugavi00006.png

these red color only show up for 1 frame and appear randomly here and there.

Sipowicz

Banned
Ephemeris said:
That's a takedown move I believe; you can do one once your combo bar passes 5x. But it's only available while the chain is still intact.

Pro-tip: If you feel like you're gonna mess up the combo, hit both buttons immediately after getting 5x, even if you're not near the guy. Bats runs towards the nearest person (even if they're halfway across the room) and does it on 'em.

i dont really understand what you mean by takedown move. i thought takedown move is when you press right trigger and the yellow button if the enemy is on the ground. it makes him jump on them and punch them in the face

so you're saying to to do a 5 hit combo then press red/yellow together? i'll try it now

Sipowicz said:
i dont really understand what you mean by takedown move. i thought takedown move is when you press right trigger and the yellow button if the enemy is on the ground. it makes him jump on them and punch them in the face

so you're saying to to do a 5 hit combo then press red/yellow together? i'll try it now

He means you'll do a move that'll permanently incapacitate the thug during the fight. They look fucking sexy too.

witness

Htown said:
Yeah, Batman's attack range is insane.

I think the move is called a combat takedown, and you can even do it on dudes that are laying on the ground, as long as they're still conscious. You can use one every 5x during the combo, so you can do one when you get to 5 hits, 10 hits, 15, etc. I've gotten my combo up to 13x on the second group of guys in the first demo room.

These moves are awesome, I've seen Batman like, headbutt a dude and then snap his arm, or leap across the room, grab a dude's leg and put him in a brief like boston crab wrestling move and then snap his knee or some junk. They're RIDICULOUS.

Oh wow I never knew about this, damn these moves are freakin awesome :O

Parham

Banned
Callibretto said:
these red color only show up for 1 frame and appear randomly here and there.

Try updating the driver for your video card. If you have an nVidia card, download the most recent driver here. If you have an ATi card, download the latest Catalyst Control from here.

Edit: My mistake, I didn't know you were talking about having issues on the PS3. If that's the case, delete the demo and download it again. If the same issue persists, then the display card is causing the problem.

h3ro

azentium said:
Try updating the driver for your video card. If you have an nVidia card, download the most recent driver here. If you have an ATi card, download the latest Catalyst Control from here.

He's having problems with his PS3. (Those are pics from the PS3 version)

Parham

Banned
h3ro said:
He's having problems with his PS3. (Those are pics from the PS3 version)
I can't believe I missed that. :lol

If that's the case, delete the demo and download it again. If the same issue persists, then your PS3's display card is causing the problem.

EzLink

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
To blow your mind further: if you examine any goons you took out with bone-breaking attacks, you can see the broken bones in Detective Mode.

Wow, that is fricken cool

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Okay, dehyped =/ Just realized the PC version comes out weeks after the consoles versions. I'll rent it and maybe buy the PC version down the road for $20 or something.

When will publishers realize holding back the PC release is goddamned stupid? Just cost them a sale. =(

Nelo Ice

Banned
Kintaro said:
Okay, dehyped =/ Just realized the PC version comes out weeks after the consoles versions. I'll rent it and maybe buy the PC version down the road for $20 or something.

When will publishers realize holding back the PC release is goddamned stupid? Just cost them a sale. =(

i think physx is reason why the pc version is delayed

Kintaro

Nelo Ice said:
i think physx is reason why the pc version is delayed

Don't care for the reason or excuses. <shrugs> I'll play the game on a console. Just won't be buying it.

EzLink

Banned
Kintaro said:

Yeah, I'm sure it's a bummer having to go through another month long delay :/

But at the same time, if you aren't buying it now because you are impatient, you couldn't have been too excited for it in the first place

Kintaro

EzLink said:
Yeah, I'm sure it's a bummer having to go through another month long delay :/

But at the same time, if you aren't buying it now because you are impatient, you couldn't have been too excited for it in the first place

There's a thing called hype. You're hyped to buy something coming soon. The version I was hyped for it was pushed back. So while everyone else gets to play, I don't. Unless I give in and buy it or rent it. When the PC version hits, it'll be inbetween others games I'm interested in. Thus, the hype is lost and it's back to the $20 pile which is impulse buy.

It's really not a hard concept to figure out. I'll be playing it, I'll just be renting instead of buying. =P

EzLink

Banned
Kintaro said:
There's a thing called hype. You're hyped to buy something coming soon. The version I was hyped for it was pushed back. So while everyone else gets to play, I don't. Unless I give in and buy it or rent it. When the PC version hits, it'll be inbetween others games I'm interested in. Thus, the hype is lost and it's back to the $20 pile which is impulse buy.

It's really not a hard concept to figure out. I'll be playing it, I'll just be renting instead of buying. =P

Games are much more enjoyable when you have a bunch of people you know (or GAF) that's all playing it simultaneously, so being left out of that I understand does dampen the experience.

But they didn't delay it to boost console sales or anything right? I was pretty sure there was an actual reason for the delay

Parham

Banned
Kintaro said:
Many publishers believe that if they release the PC version of a game simultaneously with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version, they run the risk of PC piracy cannibalizing the sales for all three platforms. However, they don't recognize that delaying it will ultimately lead to many potential customers losing interest in the game. This in turn leads to considerably lower sales on the PC platform. So, in short, it's a shortsighted method that publishers use to prevent piracy from effecting a game's sales numbers.

EzLink said:

Not necessarily. For many, this would be a great end-of-summer title to play before the holiday rush comes into full effect. However, because the PC version has been delayed, many might be more inclined to buy a game which is going to be released at the same time, that they are even more hyped for.

EzLink

Banned
azentium said:
Not necessarily. For many, this would be a great end-of-summer title to play before the holiday rush comes into full effect. However, because the PC version has been delayed,many might be more inclined to buy a game which is going to be released at the same time that they are even more hyped for.

Yeah, I know some people are like that. But when I said you couldn't have been too excited, I meant that if there are other games that you are prioritizing above this particular one then it isn't on the top of your hype list. Which is probably a good thing, because delays are sucky enough as is. It's so much worse when it's something you are absolutely dying to play

Parham

Banned
EzLink said:
Yeah, I know some people are like that. But when I said you couldn't have been too excited, I meant that if there are other games that you are prioritizing above this particular one then it isn't on the top of your hype list. Which is probably a good thing, because delays are sucky enough as is. It's so much worse when it's something you are absolutely dying to play

I know. :(

EzLink

Banned
So the stars must have aligned properly just now because I was in the final room of the demo on the last goon, and right as he walks under the gargoyle I'm on top of he shouts "Where are you?!", to which I whisper "Here" before doing an inverted takedown :lol :lol :lol

:D

Penguin

Mutagenic said:
I have all of TAS on DVD and this makes me wanna jump back into a few of those.

Do it!
Do it!
And tell us which episodes you picked.

Reminds me, would also like to add A Better World to a list of Arkham related episodes.

Varth

...aaand it's 100%! Can't remember many games that hooked me so much to platinum them before release (except for the joker dlc). Props to the RS guys.

Since I guess the leaderboards will be deleted, gonna post scores here for reference, should I get back to the game in some months.

FREEFLOW
65480*

*pretty good, me thinks. Others are meh. Last one is a little miracle. Hard as fuck. Can't wait to see what the "simple-combat-system-only-one-button" guys think when they get to play the freeflow challenge.

PREDATOR
2:27.29
2:21.83
4:19.48
3:40.81
2:47.94*
3:58.19
2:53.04
2:45.70*

*all meh, exept maybe those with *. Only cared about the gold, never tried to lower time.

EzLink said:
So the stars must have aligned properly just now because I was in the final room of the demo on the last goon, and right as he walks under the gargoyle I'm on top of he shouts "Where are you?!", to which I whisper "Here" before doing an inverted takedown :lol :lol :lol

:D

did you kiss him like tobes did to kirsten dunst in spiderman 1?

HiResDes

KingDirk said:
I had not seen those character designs before reading that OP...

The designs are very 'Tim Burton's Batman,' except instead of looking like the 80s film it's like they're 'interpreting' the characters the same way Burton's interpreting Alice in Wonderland. Not a fan.
GTFO!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, after thoroughly playing through the demo 2 dozen times I'm bored with it. I'd wish there had been more. I'll be Gameflying this one. I don't want to end up being excited about a demo only to end up with a game that just isn't for me. Like Overlord II. :(

Top Bottom