• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Sanjuro

Amir0x said:
this game just gets more and more amazing. there are like no lows at all :lol
The only very minor thing I dislike is losing items you find after a checkpoint if you die. That is my only real complaint to this point.

Clipjoint

Amir0x said:
it was more awesome the first time i loudly knocked out an enemy, sprayed explosive gel on the floor near him so that it would automatically explode as the next enemy approached (woo upgrade!), and then when the NEXT enemy went to investigate the sound, i promptly tied him up and cut him down when the final enemy came to see what was going on.

yeah. yeah. fucking wow
It didn't really hit me how great this game is until I entered a room and just began surgically taking guys out without thinking twice. I hopped on a gargoyle, did an inverted take down, waited for his collar to go off, snuck up behind the one straggler, used a a sonar batarang to draw everyone to my explosive gel which I selectively detonated...I had never felt like that much of a badass ever in a game.

Going to Toys R Us tomorrow to pick it up and get a $20 giftcard :D After watching the Quick Look on GiantBomb.com, I WANT THIS GAME O_O Now the only decision I have to make is nerd points or Joker content @_@

Jason's Ultimatum said:
So let's the rumor is true that Rocksteady is working on the next Hitman game.
Rocksteady not working on next Hitman unfortunately.
And just had my second
encounter with the Scarecrow
and it's nice to see how Rocksteady handled the source material. Finally Wayne's
fears are properly revealed in a VG.

Dude Abides

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
Ugh...I want to play moar so bad but my girlfriend wants to watch true blood. oh well. could be worse... A LOT worse.

Same problem but she's watching a rerun of fucking Kings. Go to bed bitch!

Ephemeris

Freeflow Perfection after a 38hit combo? Sheeeit. Only way it could have gotten any better was if I grappled my way out of the room to the freakin Bat-Jet or something.

Said it before but damn.

ephemeris-crazy-laugh935.png

GAF knows what I'm talking about.

JambiBum

Hot damn. Finally got past that section. It's the area in the botanical gardens where
there are six armed guards along with the riddler trophy and alice in wonderland items
Took me forever to do it the way I wanted. I absolutely love all the different ways you can take guys out in this game.

This game. Ho ho, this fucking game is awesome. Exiting
Intensive Care and seeing the huge ass courtyard and Gotham City in the distance
... whoalyshit.

Dude Abides said:
Same problem but she's watching a rerun of fucking Kings. Go to bed bitch!

lol. we finished an episode and i was going to play more, but I saw a commercial and tarantino is going to be on conan tonight, and i HAVE to see it, so she's all "oh great, we can watch ANOTHER episode while we wait for conan tonight!"

oh well. at least it's not rent or the oc.

EDIT:
Jeff Stephen said:
Rocksteady not working on next Hitman unfortunately.

...but this *does* mean that there will be another hitman game though, right?

ok guys, so I'm playing this on hard and making good progress, or so I thought. I just saw the cutscene with
Killer Croc where he smashes a glass window in a door and now I'm heading up platforms to get above surface. How far am I in the game? And also, tell me Bane isn't dead yet after getting hit by the bat mobile...
and one last question.

Is the percentage complete conting items you have found or is that strictly a storyline percentage level? I ask because I'm only at 13% which is amazing seeing as Ive played for at least 4 hours already.

andymcc

Banned
holy shit this game is way too awesome. heavy fucking awesome spoiler...
the game did another freak out moment, reminiscent of eternal darkness, where the screen started fucking up and all of the sudden, the game restarts with the joker in batman's place. i go through the intro corridor through arkham scene with joker in batman's shoes, but batman is the one being admitted. joker shoots batman in the head and the game asks me to restart... and i rise from bruce wayne's grave. this game is way too good.

Zeliard

lawblob said:
Yes, but not willingly. I had a little rant about it on the previous page. You basically have to fight for it. I would print out the Best Buy page below for proof, and don't leave til they give it to you for $40.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=page&contentId=1118843518460&id=cat12098

Good thing I followed this advice. :lol

The Best Buy manager wasn't trying to give me the price match, trying to say that they don't match "promotions", so I busted out the store policy on their price matching (where it literally uses the word "promotional") and said "yo".

He then said "I'll allow it", which made me laugh a bit.

They priced matched it by taking $20 off, and to top it off I also got the Best Buy $10 gift card, which I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to. Now it's time to play, finally. Amazing the acclaim this game has gotten, from everybody. A lot of times it's just critics and not so much the hardcore gamers (i.e. GTAIV, though I enjoyed it), or vice versa (God Hand?), but everyone seems to love this game.

Red

Game keeps freezing on me :(

Still sort of early on... found the traitor guard dead, Gordon is captured. I'm supposed to leave the asylum now I guess? But every time I try going down the steps where there's a radio playing my game freezes.

Oh fuck this, I'm going to bed.

vg260

I just got a Playstation email and in the bullet points about the Joker stuff, while it does still say that the Joker content is exclusive only to PS3, it also says:
"Exclusive Challenge Maps - available for only 30 days after release!"

I'm not sure exactly what that means. From that it sounds like they might start charging after 30 days (?). So just download the maps now in case you're not getting the game until next month.

EDIT : Either I'm completely crazy or they changed the wording. (The bullet points were in a linked graphic, not actual text) It says "Exclusive Challenge Maps - available within 30 days after launch!"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
2&2 said:
I just got a Playstation email and in the bullet points about the Joker stuff, while it does still say that the Joker content is exclusive only to PS3, it also says:
"Exclusive Challenge Maps - available for only 30 days after release!"

I'm not sure exactly what that means. From that it sounds like they might start charging after 30 days (?). So just download the maps now in case you're not getting the game until next month.
Whoa! Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to go download now even though I don't have the game yet.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Aljosa said:
This game just destroyed my whole perception on licensed games. I used to think that all of them were shovelware cash-ins but this...wow this game is just amazing. Defiantly in my Top 5 of the year so far. Congrats Rock Steady.
I know we are all loving this game right now but lets not forget what Starbreeze did with Riddick and the Darkness, both licensed properties.

Wow, the
Scarecrow segment
is stunning. I was really surprised by that whole section, it was exceptionally well done. The whole game is comic book geek's dream come true.

Sanjuro

Today is truly the best day ever for XBOX Live. Batman and a theme with a McDouble plastered on the background....how could life get any better?

vilmer_

This game caught me by surprise like a swift kick in the nuts. It's amazing so far and I can't wait to cause some havoc as The Joker. I always had faith in Rock Steady after Urban Chaos!

Brashnir

Crunched said:
Game keeps freezing on me :(

Still sort of early on... found the traitor guard dead, Gordon is captured. I'm supposed to leave the asylum now I guess? But every time I try going down the steps where there's a radio playing my game freezes.

Oh fuck this, I'm going to bed.

Are you playing on 360 or PS3? If it's 360 you can try installing it to see if it's having trouble reading the disc. (Or try uninstalling to see if it installed over a bad sector)

My good lord you guys weren't kidding. This game is fantastic! I am so happy I never read up on it. Its been forever since a game has surprised me this much.

The boss fight with Bane was amazing. Using the Batarang and fighting the henchmen worked perfectly. The game slowmo's just at the right time so you witness the coolest shit. That ending with
Batman running him over with the Batmobile
almost got me to jump. Huge Batman fan over here!

On the downside, I don't know how this game saves. I had gotten a Trophy for something and then turned the game off. Afterwords I had to play the part over again. It wasn't much, but it was annoying not knowing where it saved. Am I missing an indicator or something?

vilmer_

Phaethon0017 said:
The boss fight with Bane was amazing. Using the Batarang and fighting the henchmen worked perfectly. The game slowmo's just at the right time so you witness the coolest shit. That ending with
Batman running him over with the Batmobile
almost got me to jump. Huge Batman fan over here!

On the downside, I don't know how this game saves. I had gotten a Trophy for something and then turned the game off. Afterwords I had to play the part over again. It wasn't much, but it was annoying not knowing where it saved. Am I missing an indicator or something?

Bottom right corner there's a little circular arrow that rotates at a check point/save.

kaskade

This game also rekindled my love for Batman, even more so than the Dark Knight. I used to be a huge Batman fan as a wee lad, it kind of faded now it's back. Now all I need is a Batman t-shirt.

EzLink

Banned
Holy shit guys, I can't stop suplexin gators!

And oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh my god at
the third scarecrow segment.
By far, without a fucking doubt, the coolest fucking shit I've seen in any video game ever

Ugh I need sleep but I can't stop playing

Vyer

Damn, I was going to hold off but it sounds too good.

This is the first game where I have a real question about which system to get it on. I'm so torn!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
EekTheKat said:
The PS3 retail version looks astounding. It's way, way sharper than the Demo and everything looks insanely vibrant and clean too.

I tried both demo's and couldn't decide either way. I'm not concerned about the Joker exclusive or the bonus challenges. If the graphics for the retail PS3 are really noticable I may choose it.... I do like achievements though. What to do????

Zzoram

I got this for my brand new PS3 Slim. Looks great, very crisp textures, and it's really fun. I didn't notice screen tearing or much aliasing.

There is some clipping during combat and even the odd in-game cutscene but that's fine. There is no loading after a rather quick mandatory install.

Is it worth it to replay the game on hard? If I missed stuff my first playthrough, will it let me backtrack to find everything I missed?

calder

SanjuroTsubaki said:
The only very minor thing I dislike is losing items you find after a checkpoint if you die. That is my only real complaint to this point.
Same here, it's literally my only complaint so far. Probably a bit spoiled by infamous's perfect save system.

Maybe halfway through, gotta go to bed. Game lives up to my high expectations so far. :D

Mrbob

EekTheKat said:
The PS3 retail version looks astounding. It's way, way sharper than the Demo and everything looks insanely vibrant and clean too.

Yeah I'm impressed since this is a UE3 title and UE3 normally does not like the PS3.

TheFallen

The scarecrow challenge map "Dem Bones" is placed in an odd area. I'm surprised they didn't put it in the Challenge Mode with the rest of the maps. You have to select it in the Download Content area every time you want to play it. Pretty fun though, think of it as Horde mode for Batman: Arkham Asylum. Waves of skeletons that get harder (weapons get introduced on further waves). You keep going until you get hit. A survival mode of sorts.

If anyone wants to have some challenge mode leaderboard friends, just add Xploited13 on PSN.

Loving this game, quick question though. I just unlocked the riddler questions, can I go back to the 1st section of the game later to complete all of them? Or do i need to do them before i move onto the next section?

bucknuticus said:
Loving this game, quick question though. I just unlocked the riddler questions, can I go back to the 1st section of the game later to complete all of them? Or do i need to do them before i move onto the next section?
You'll be able to revisit the areas even after you beat the game.

btrick

I just got into the library of Arkham Mansion and I cut the chandelier and then I rescued the two guys tied to the chair in the records room, where do I go next?

I'm right in front of Dr. young's office and I can't get in...

bucknuticus said:

My understanding is that you can go back through the aslyum after you beat the game to find the rest of the stuff.

This is the first game where I've truly wanted to collect everything..

Jtrizzy

Yeah the retail version does seem better in a few ways than the demo.

I love the game, but I'm not that good at getting combos and when I do get enough so I can do one of the two button moves I'm never able to execute them. Any tips on this? I assume I'm supposed to be pressing them at the same time.

kaskade

Jtrizzy said:

I love the game, but I'm not that good at getting combos and when I do get enough so I can do one of the two button moves I'm never able to execute them. Any tips on this? I assume I'm supposed to be pressing them at the same time.
Yeah, same time. Make sure your somewhat close to someone too. You can't just press it randomly.

JRW

Crap I'm on the final boss, Noooo!! I don't want this game to end yet lol.

From reading the above posts I can at least go back and get 100% of the riddler secrets.

Man, what an outrageously polished game this is... I'm confirming this to be my GOTY.

TheFallen

Jtrizzy said:

Make sure you upgrade for critical strikes if you haven't already, that will help significantly. Some of the other combat upgrades will also make your life easier. As for the gameplay itself, don't button mash. Be prepared to do a counter whenever it pops up nearby you (or if on hard, when you see the animation begin). But make sure you time everything correctly. If you try to attack or counter too early, you'll kill your combo streak. With that in mind, keep moving. Throwing batarangs, cape stuns, and tapping jump twice can help extend them. Use your special attacks every time you're able to (at each x5). Usually an enemy will attack you as your animation is about to end, so be ready to counter that.

EzLink

Banned
So sad about lack of NG+. It will suck having to upgrade everything again, and it will also suck seeing all the trophies and riddles you already collected. If it weren't for lack of NG+ and lack of alternate costumes to replay single player with, this could be a contender for my favorite game of all time. As it is though, looks like Ocarina still reigns as king

Bed time now, will probably beat it tomorrow

Top Bottom