• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Barrett2

So im' in the
room where the demo ended, but I can't seem to find the Gordon painting?
Im' not supposed to backtrack here, am I? I don't see this thing anywhere..

About 4 hours in now, taking my sweet time. The island is huge, this game is heaven for a person that likes to explore, they make sure there is a ton of secrets all over the place. I have seen some really cool setpieces, one involving
Scarecrow
which was amazing! I have fought two bosses, one really cool and the other a basic pattern boss but still fun.

Excellent game to be sure but there are a few things I don't like. My main issue with the game is that when you are exploring it gets really lonely. The game never repopulates areas you have been to before so when you go around searching for Riddler items there is no one in your way. It feels so empty. I like action and sadly when you explore you have none of it. I was also a bit saddened when I realized that the Riddler clues are all solved basically the same way, by taking a picture. I thought the second riddle was a taste of really interesting puzzles to solve, sadly it just gets repeated.

Well thats all I can find faults with at the moment, everything else is superb.

MPW

spoiler alert

how do i save the 3 doctors?

i got 1 of the extractor fans to work but not the others (can't find the switch)

doctor is hanging on the rope

can't go to the ground cause air is polluted

JRW

MiamiWesker said:
About 4 hours in now, taking my sweet time. The island is huge, this game is heaven for a person that likes to explore, they make sure there is a ton of secrets all over the place.

Agreed 100% Ive been taking my time looking for all secrets, I get all happy when I find a secrets map in each area (revealing secrets via floating green ?'s ) I'm now showing 65% completion after 20+ hours and its been nothing but bliss, Amazing game.

EzLink

Banned
Good god this game keeps on delivering. The
second encounter with Scarecrow, and the part where you walk around as young Bruce for a couple minutes was absolutely fucking incredible. I still don't understand how Scarecrow looking at you defeats you, or how shining the batsignal on Scarecrow defeats him, but whatever! So fucking boss. I just rescued Sharp and am now following Harley. Om nom nom.
Hope there is still quite a bit left, but I'm keeping my expectations down and telling myself it can't be that much longer (best to prepare for the worst!)

Mmmmkay back to Arkham

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
This game is :eek: :eek: :eek: :O

Pretty nice so far (not that far in), but I wonder why they didn't just merge the highlighting functionality of the Detective Mode with the standard visuals. Because of it's extreme functionality, you can end up playing the game from mostly that purple-tinted view instead of the nicer, moodier unfiltered look.

MPW

EzLink said:
second encounter with Scarecrow, and the part where you walk around as young Bruce for a couple minutes was absolutely fucking incredible. I still don't understand how Scarecrow looking at you defeats you, or how shining the batsignal on Scarecrow defeats him, but whatever! So fucking boss. I just rescued Sharp and am now following Harley. Om nom nom.
Hope there is still quite a bit left, but I'm keeping my expectations down and telling myself it can't be that much longer (best to prepare for the worst!)

Mmmmkay back to Arkham

any tips on how to save the 3 doctors?

I just beat
Bane
and I can safely say this is the best game I've played all year. All the little touches and collectibles that tell the history of Arkham and it's inmates is fucking brilliant.

Amir0x

Banned
spidye said:
exactly. far better than resident evil 5 or any other game up until now

It's not just better than any other game this year. It's one of the best games released this generation, period. It's so amazingly developed in every way. So much to explore. Pitch perfect voice acting. Fantastic puzzles. Fantastic combat (on hard). Fantastic bosses. Visuals, so good. Amazing goddamn everything. Incredibly compelling story. AND THEY UNDERSTAND THE FUCKING BATMAN.

What has Rocksteady done that implies they can make a game as good as this!? This shit should not be possible. It's better than what some developers have made after ten tries on next-generation systems!

KiNeSiS

Banned
Holy Bat-Shit Batman!

I need this game....

I don't get paid until Midnight tonight, does the TRU deal end by then?
I'm hearing its a one day thing....
Is the game for 30 dollars, or you pay 60 and get a lame-o-giftcard?

Revolutionary said:
How are you not finding anything? Have you activated Detective mode? It's supposed to tell you exactly where it is.

If not, then you're not supposed to be looking for it just yet, but rather Dr. Young, herself.

You guys need to be more descriptive if you want us to help. lol
My current objective lists
Locate Doctor Young and this is right after saving the two security guards where the chandelier drops.
Any ideas what to do next.
iPhone pic here.

KiNeSiS said:
Holy Bat-Shit Batman!

I need this game....

I don't get paid until Midnight tonight, does the TRU deal end by then?
I'm hearing its a one day thing....
Is the game for 30 dollars, or you pay 60 and get a lame-o-giftcard?

It was only good from 10 -2 today. Sorry

Downhome

MPW said:
spoiler alert

how do i save the 3 doctors?

Once you jump to one of the ledges it looks as though you should keep going straight to look for one of the switches - instead as soon as you land, look directly behind you instead.

I got lost in the
mansion
for the longest time today, but it turns out
that I was just missing a door to go in that's just blatantly right there
.:lol

Jeff Stephen said:
My current objective lists
Locate Doctor Young and this is right after saving the two security guards where the chandelier drops.
Any ideas what to do next.
iPhone pic here.

That is exactly where I was stuck at for a while earlier. :lol

Sean

Banned
Just reached the
bat cave
and it's fucking awesome. This game really makes you feel like you're Batman. I've found the combat pretty easy so far (on normal) but that's a good thing imo, because you feel powerful and badass.

My game locked up one time, I'm not sure if it was a bug in the game or my semi-scratched disk or what. Luckily I didn't lose any progress.

Man...WTF is this shit? Why is this "Gamestop Exclusive Challenge Map" shit printed on the cover art? I swear, if it weren't for the damned employee discount.

Penguin said:
I'm a little before that... maybe?

You had to cut down the chandelier to free the two men, and now I got to find the Doctor's note in the mansion, but I've been through it 3 times and can't find anything
Found it. Leave the room the way you came in. Make your way back to the main hall and head towards the back of the large statue and to the left you'll see a door. So much for world's greatest detective. :D

Downhome

Sean said:
My game locked up one time, I'm not sure if it was a bug in the game or my semi-scratched disk or what. Luckily I didn't lose any progress.

I've had it lock up on me once, but like you, I didn't lose any progress since it had just recently saved.

Plissken

Dead said:
god damn you amazon, release date delivery means release date delivery damnit ;_;

I got mine today from Amazon, ordered it Sunday night, showed up today around 2. Loving the game so far, not too deep into it yet but it's fast becoming one of my favorites this year. The voice acting and story are top notch, wandering around with the Joker occasionally saying crazy stuff over the PA system is great :lol,

JambiBum

EzLink said:

Mmmmkay back to Arkham

Edit: Nevermind. I'm dumb.

Went to Best Buy to purchase Metroid Prime Trilogy and was gonna pick this up later. BB had a rewardzone promotion if I got MPT I would get a free 10 gift card so I used that to purchase Batman, and didn't even know I received an additional $10 giftcard for getting Batman. I'm happy right now :D

Sanjuro

I think I may need to try the 40-hit combo on an easier difficulty. I got my 20-hit but I just seem to lose steam and doing counters usually resets it by the time I can attack again.

JambiBum

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I think I may need to try the 40-hit combo on an easier difficulty. I got my 20-hit but I just seem to lose steam and doing counters usually resets it by the time I can attack again.

I got my 40 on hard. There's a point where you fight 10 guys at once. I just kept retrying until I got it.

Sanjuro

JambiBum said:
I got my 40 on hard. There's a point where you fight 10 guys at once. I just kept retrying until I got it.
I'm in the Arkham libraries right now trying. Coming nowhere even close.

witness

SanjuroTsubaki said:

I was able to get a x51 combo with the Joker on the 3rd, the sewer, challenge map. I was able to get it on the 3rd wave. Much easier to get the trophy in a challenge map instead.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Managed to play about 10 minutes before I had to leave and do some things. I'm out right now, thinking about Batman. Talk about blue balls.

Foffy

Banned
It hurts me just a little knowing Superman currently doesn't have a game that is as 1/8th as awesome as Arkham Asylum.

But the awesomness of Batman helps me move on. :lol

Barrett2

Anyone else having nostalgic flashbacks to the NES / Lynx Batman game?

I have so many fond memories of both of those. Nice to finally get another Batman game worth playing.

Amir0x

Banned
Foffy said:
It hurts me just a little knowing Superman currently doesn't have a game that is as 1/8th as awesome as Arkham Asylum.

But the awesomness of Batman helps me move on. :lol

That's appropriate, since Superman is less than 1/8th as awesome as Batman.

taoofjord

Need help, I'm stuck about a quarter of the way into the game...

I'm going through the arkham manor, following dr. young's fingerprints. I just got to the part of the map where there are 10 unarmed guards looking for the papers and I - apparently - have to defeat all 10 to get through the door (it says that I need to secure the area before moving on). How do I do this? I'm playing on hard and it's just freakin impossible to take down all 10 at the same time. I tried separating them but because the room is so open they always know where I am. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom