• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Spike Spiegel said:
Just got back from TRU with my copy, but I'm a little confused at how they rang it up. Happy, but confused. The game rang up at $39.99 with the gift card at $20, no problem there equals $59.99... but I also picked up the Collector's Edition of MK vs DCU, which rang up at $14.99 discounted from $29.98.

Were they running a Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off and I never noticed? o_O

DS and Wii games are supposed to be buy one and get one half off, but not PS3/360 games...

taoofjord said:
Need help, I'm stuck about a quarter of the way into the game...

I'm going through the arkham manor, following dr. young's fingerprints. I just got to the part of the map where there are 10 unarmed guards looking for the papers and I - apparently - have to defeat all 10 to get through the door (it says that I need to secure the area before moving on). How do I do this? I'm playing on hard and it's just freakin impossible to take down all 10 at the same time. I tried separating them but because the room is so open they always know where I am. Any suggestions?
Any situation where there's unarmed baddies - fight them hand-to-hand.
Any situation where there's armed baddies - sneak and take them out quietly.

If you're having trouble with taking on 10 people at the same time, I suggest practicing on the Challenge maps.

JambiBum

taoofjord said:
Need help, I'm stuck about a quarter of the way into the game...

I'm going through the arkham manor, following dr. young's fingerprints. I just got to the part of the map where there are 10 unarmed guards looking for the papers and I - apparently - have to defeat all 10 to get through the door (it says that I need to secure the area before moving on). How do I do this? I'm playing on hard and it's just freakin impossible to take down all 10 at the same time. I tried separating them but because the room is so open they always know where I am. Any suggestions?

This is where I got the achievement for the 40 combo at. All I did was fight them all hand to hand. Countering and all of that. I was playing on hard too.

Pimpbaa

Best superhero game ever and most consistent performance across platforms using the UE3 engine without much compromise. Rocksteady Studios deserves a freakin medal. If this game doesn't sell a metric buttload, I'll be pissed.

Can anyone help me really quick?
I just put Harley Quinn in her cell and now I can't find where to go. The objective is to destroy the production facility or something in the gardens, but I can't find anything and my visor isn't picking up Harley's fingerprints anywhere.
Help would be great.

JB1981

Amir0x said:
It's not just better than any other game this year. It's one of the best games released this generation, period. It's so amazingly developed in every way. So much to explore. Pitch perfect voice acting. Fantastic puzzles. Fantastic combat (on hard). Fantastic bosses. Visuals, so good. Amazing goddamn everything. Incredibly compelling story. AND THEY UNDERSTAND THE FUCKING BATMAN.

What has Rocksteady done that implies they can make a game as good as this!? This shit should not be possible. It's better than what some developers have made after ten tries on next-generation systems!

holy shit really? Where the fuck is my copy, Amazon?

AniHawk

Bought this game. Didn't intend to buy this game. It was sort of an impulse thing. If I wind up disliking it, I'm blaming every single one of you.

DrBo42

AniHawk said:
Bought this game. Didn't intend to buy this game. It was sort of an impulse thing. If I wind up disliking it, I'm blaming every single one of you.
Well, good thing that's not possible. *Grapples up to nearest GAF gargoyle*

ToyMachine228 said:
Can anyone help me really quick?
I just put Harley Quinn in her cell and now I can't find where to go. The objective is to destroy the production facility or something in the gardens, but I can't find anything and my visor isn't picking up Harley's fingerprints anywhere.
Help would be great.
Just go to the Gardens and the trail should pick up from there. Remember that little conversation Bats had with Oracle? About the fingerprint degradation set to over an hour ago (aka when she was in the Gardens). Gotta listen to the details, mannn!!! lol

Downhome

Alright, simple question - how far am I into the game?

I just got to the part where you are in a room, Harley Quinn up above me, and I am forced to fight waves of baddies on an electrified floor.

I think I'm going to quit there and take a break. :D

Walked into TRU this morning and said to the guy, "So I saw in your circula--" Before I even get the words out he says, "PS3 or Xbox 360?" :lol

The demo sold me on the game, but the Leave No Man Behind achievement at the beginning was what won my heart. Seeing Batman
pull the henchman from the ledge and then punch him out while he was on the ground...
The timing was perfect. I just had to sit and lol for a second.

EzLink

Banned
What's up with all you guys saying you don't understand how it got a T rating? I'm assuming you all mean it should be rated M I guess. I disagree, I think T is perfectly suitable, but whatever :p

ConsumerSquare said:
Walked into TRU this morning and said to the guy, "So I saw in your circula--" Before I even get the words out he says, "PS3 or Xbox 360?" :lol

The demo sold me on the game, but the Leave No Man Behind achievement at the beginning was what won my heart. Seeing Batman
pull the henchman from the ledge and then punch him out while he was on the ground...
The timing was perfect. I just had to sit and lol for a second.

Oh my God yes! How awesome was that? I knew I was in for a treat just by that little scene. Straight-up bad-ass!

Kusagari

EzLink said:
What's up with all you guys saying you don't understand how it got a T rating? I'm assuming you all mean it should be rated M I guess. I disagree, I think T is perfectly suitable, but whatever :p

I'd say this game is just as bad if not worse than Halo which has always had an M.

Clipjoint

I see a lot of people asking about the part after you
drop the chandelier on the glass floor and save the two guards
. I was stuck here for a bit too.

You have to
go back to the main hall, head toward the back of the room where there are two smaller rooms, and look to your left and you will see a door leading to the West Hall.

EzLink

Banned
Kusagari said:
I'd say this game is just as bad if not worse than Halo which has always had an M.

Yeah, I've never understood why Halo always got M ratings. I guess it's because of the blood, which B:AA has none of

Yeah, the T is a surprise to me too. Especially once you upgrade to get the Instant Takedown moves. Some of those are pretty rough even though there's no blood.

EzLink

Banned
DangerousDave said:
One question, the game has some kind of "free movement", or even enemy respawn in certain areas, or is as linear as in the demo?

I was really surprised/overwhelmed at how nonlinear it was after I started playing for about an hour. And once you get going, there are plenty of enemies that come your way (even when you backtrack to certain areas you've already been through)

The demo really was just the very very tip of this oh so awesome batberg (god that was lame)

This game really is that cool. It does take on an "animated series" sort of vibe, something I didn't expect it would do from the demo. Batman himself isn't the super-serious grim Batman, and a lot of the daring do-gooder comes across. Also, I almost forgot Batman had these super-nerd wahjah moments. There was a part pretty early on that gave me that old school Batman vibe:

Gordon was abducted next to Batman's car, Batman finds his pipe. "Winter fresh tobacco (or whatever)" says Batman, "Gordon's favorite brand. He MUST be alive!" Jeeze you spaz, why do you know Gordon's brand of pipe tobacco? Cause you are very observant scientist, that's why.

Anyways, the game is impressive. The feeling of giddiness I'm getting from the graphics, the detail in the settings, and the cohesiveness and quality of the experience is usually only reserved for titles I've anticipated for years. It is very much like Bioshock in that sense. No one really followed it beyond a "cool, we'll see". When the reviews and impressions started pouring in, you go from "I'll wait" or "I'll rent" to "I must purchase". You take it home and the quality of it all blows you away. I hope Batman can continue to match what I've experienced so far.

Also, the way the game is unfolding is particularly fantastic. The separate types of game play are hooked seamlessly into one another in a way that I don't think i've seen before. You go from fighting dudes, to stealth, to detective, to puzzle, to platforming, to fighting, to open world, to detective. In the same way that Cortana's voice might add purpose and intrigue to your ride down the halo roller coaster, Batman AA uses voice communicators, monitors, radios, and the disembodied riddler VO to keep your flight down the path interesting.

EzLink said:
The demo really was just the very very tip of this oh so awesome batberg (god that was lame)
For sure, I'm just getting started but I've already started wondering why Rocksteady wasn't given the Metroid license instead of Team Bigtitsandass.

ntb825

Help with a Riddler Trophy and riddle -

I'm outside of the Garden. There is a trophy on the far right of me and I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get over there... frick. Also, there is a riddle that I know involves me blowing through a portion of a wall to the left of the Garden entrance... but how am I supposed to get the gel up there?

edit: I'm in Arkham West, not the Gardens. Whoops.

Clipjoint

For me, this would have been the perfect game if there was a little more variety in the boss fights. For example, the
fight with the two guys Joker infects
feels exactly like the
Bane
fight. It's probably nitpicking but if they had just added a few more of the established villains with some different techniques for beating them, this would have been the best game of the generation, IMO.

EzLink

Banned
Clipjoint said:
For me, this would have been the perfect game if there was a little more variety in the boss fights. For example, the
fight with the two guys Joker infects
feels exactly like the
Bane
fight. It's probably nitpicking but if they had just added a few more of the established villains with some different techniques for beating them, this would have been the best game of the generation, IMO.

Makes sense within the context of the game though because
the two infected henchmen were injected with a more powerful form of the venom that Bane had.
Not to mention they added a new game mechanic with that since you are able to
get on the back of one and make it fight the other, which was badass.
I didn't find a problem with that at all

MercuryLS

Banned
So this game is $40 at my local best buy, should I be cautious thanks to the low price or run out and buy?

Also, X360 or PS3 version?

Class_A_Ninja said:
No one really followed it beyond a "cool, we'll see". When the reviews and impressions started pouring in, you go from "I'll wait" or "I'll rent" to "I must purchase". You take it home and the quality of it all blows you away. I hope Batman can continue to match what I've experience so far.
Yes! This thing wasn't on my radar at all so I was on a de facto media blackout, but so far I've been totally surprised by the atmosphere
(bodybags!)
and its surprises
there's a fuckin' Batcave under Arkham (!!)
. I just hope it can sustain itself.

I think GAF's official game threads always seem overly positive on the first couple days of release... okay games get evangelized for days before reality sets in. So I'm not going to say GOTY or anything. But I will say that this game has been a god damned treat so far in the couple hours I've spent with it. It's a love letter to comic geeks.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Dead said:
god damn you amazon, release date delivery means release date delivery damnit ;_;

Sigh. You and me both, brother. I totally jinxed myself earlier talking up Amazon. I guess I can't blame them, though. It shipped out yesterday just fine, but tracking via FedEx shows no movement since and of course it didn't arrive today like it was supposed to. Time to go firebomb the local FedEx distribution joint.

scoobs

game of the year?? I think the initial shock of how good it is is getting to people... I'm sure it's good and I can't wait for my copy to show up but really?? We can come back in a couple months time and discuss if this is really the best game to come out this year.

Clipjoint

EzLink said:
Makes sense within the context of the game though because
the two infected henchmen were injected with a more powerful form of the venom that Bane had.
Not to mention they added a new game mechanic with that since you are able to
get on the back of one and make it fight the other, which was badass.
I didn't find a problem with that at all
Like I said, it's minor nitpicking, but at that point I felt like it was been there done that. I just felt like there was an opportunity to take advantage of a lot of the great villains that was left on the table. Still a great game, though.

scoobs said:
game of the year?? I think the initial shock of how good it is is getting to people... I'm sure it's good and I can't wait for my copy to show up but really?? We can come back in a couple months time and discuss if this is really the best game to come out this year.
I'm with you. I don't want the hype to stir up a backlash.

Hamill > Ledger

Sean

Banned
I am stuck and feel so stupid. Can anyone help?

Got to the Library (circular room) and hit down a chandelier with my batarang and then rescued hostages 2 hostages on the bottom floor... now I can't seem to figure out what to do. Objective is to "Locate Dr Young, Search Arkham Mansion to find Dr. Youngs research notes before Joker".

Clipjoint

Sean said:

Got to the Library (circular room) and hit down a chandelier with my batarang and then rescued hostages 2 hostages on the bottom floor... now I can't seem to figure out what to do. Objective is to "Locate Dr Young, Search Arkham Mansion to find Dr. Youngs research notes before Joker".
Check out my post #1670.

DrBo42

Sean said:

Go back a page or two, tons of people are getting stuck in the same spot. I can't understand why.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wow the whole PS3 version case is all about playing the joker exclusively, the label on the cover, then inner part of the case, the 17th page of the manual, wow.

Downloading the Batcave HOME space right now. To me having the batcave as a HOME apartment is about the coolest thing ever. Looks like you can only put two picture frames in the batcave.

Sean

Banned
Clipjoint said:
Check out my post #1670.

Wow, I spent like half an hour wandering around that room going around in circles and that wasn't even where I needed to be. :lol

Thanks man.

Amir0x

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
hey guis remember the first time you realized you could do a glide kick from a gargoyle that was awesome

it was more awesome the first time i loudly knocked out an enemy, sprayed explosive gel on the floor near him so that it would automatically explode as the next enemy approached (woo upgrade!), and then when the NEXT enemy went to investigate the sound, i promptly tied him up and cut him down when the final enemy came to see what was going on.

yeah. yeah. fucking wow

This game just destroyed my whole perception on licensed games. I used to think that all of them were shovelware cash-ins but this...wow this game is just amazing. Defiantly in my Top 5 of the year so far. Congrats Rock Steady.

Top Bottom