• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Raxus

GQman2121 said:
These damn riddles are making me feel dumb. :(
Don't feel so bad. I solve some but am unable to get them because the game limits you so much. Just do what you can and collect all the gadgets THEN focus on riddles.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
It reminded me exactly of Dead Space.

Well, after platinuming Dead Space last night, this makes me VERY happy to hear! :D I had thought the Dead Space demo was horrible and wouldve never played the full game if not for GAF raving over it.

I picked up Batman yesterday after reading all the glowing info here on GAF about it. It sounds like im going to have a blast tonite when i start it. Woohoo!!!!

Raxus

There will be a sequel, so no worries I am sure a whole new list of popular and obscure Batman characters will return (Red claw, Clock King, Man Bat).

"Anyone here the joke about the man who returned to his paraplegic wife? :lol

Joei

This game is awesome! I'm slowly taking my way through the game and just reached Bane last night. I got hammered the first time I fought him and turned it off since it was getting late. The atmosphere is fantastic and running around outside the Asylum, taking in the view, and just exploring the game is great. I haven't played something this good in so, so long.

I love just walking up to a group of 10 thugs and standing a few yards away to provoke them to attack. I'll stand there, all "I'm fucking Batman bitch, try it." LOVE the combat in this game.

Zeliard

MrCompletely said:
I love just walking up to a group of 10 thugs and standing a few yards away to provoke them to attack. I'll stand there, all "I'm fucking Batman bitch, try it." LOVE the combat in this game.

I like just standing there, completely immobile and just fluidly countering everything that's thrown at me. Doesn't do much to get the combo meter up, but it's so much fun.

GQman2121

Banned
neojubei said:
I wish Catwoman had a role too.

I think it's pretty safe to say that this game is going to be near the top of the NPD's for this month. Madden is the only game keeping it from being the top dog for August.

A sequel with more villains has to already be on the minds of those in charge at Square.

Zeliard said:
I like just standing there, completely immobile and just fluidly countering everything that's thrown at me. Doesn't do much to get the combo meter up, but it's so much fun.

Exactly, nothing captures the batman feel more than that.

Also, can we officially declare that this game has the best voice acting ever in a video game?

Overlee

can anyone help me? I"m trying to find the "new" entrance
to the batcave after defeating Croc and collecting the spore samples. is the entrance through the main sewer junction
at all?

Dyno

Started it last night on hard. That the fights look and feel EXACTLY like a Batman cartoon/movie is amazing. The environments are consistantly awesome and the voice acting is probably the best of all time. You know what also got to me, the textures on their outfits. Holy fuck but every person has their own detailed texture on their outfits; the Joker's suit is completely different from Gordon's tweed and Batman's cloak, cowl, and body armour are all high tech fabric but all very different.

That's an impressive attention to detail.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GQman2121 said:
I think it's pretty safe to say that this game is going to be near the top of the NPD's for this month. Madden is the only game keeping it from being the top dog for August.

A sequel with more villains has to already be on the minds of those in charge at Square.
Yep, going to be a very interesting NPD.

I wish I was at home playing instead of at work. T_T

The voice acting is top notch. Mark Hamill's Joker is the definitive portrayal of the character, he adds so much to the game's atmosphere. Getting the VA's from Batman TAS was a serious coup on Rocksteady's part. It seems like an obvious choice, but it makes the game so much better.

Spike

asb_goddamn_batman.jpg

Zeliard

Dyno said:
Started it last night on hard. That the fights look and feel EXACTLY like a Batman cartoon/movie is amazing. The environments are consistantly awesome and the voice acting is probably the best of all time. You know what also got to me, the textures on their outfits. Holy fuck but every person has their own detailed texture on their outfits; the Joker's suit is completely different from Gordon's tweed and Batman's cloak, cowl

I spent like 3 minutes staring at Batman's cowl when I first loaded up the game. :lol

I love the design, especially those embossed sections on the sides of the head.

2eklsug.jpg

Dyno

TheExodu5 said:
Anyone here prefer Arkham Asylum's Joker to Heath Ledger? I know I do.

The opening 5-10 minutes is incredible.

I'm with you but ou know what dude? You have to give respect to Heath because hobo joker with the messy lipstick was his idea. He homemade the costume to give the director an idea of his take on the Joker and from there the actual costume was made.

Now every Joker you will see will take something from that portrayal and Arkham's Joker is no exception. The character is better off for Heath's efforts.

Red

TheExodu5 said:

I don't think Ledger's Joker could be beat in film, but this is a different medium. Hamill is great here.

I got past the part that kept freezing for me earlier, but now the game keeps getting really choppy and there are parts of the environment that just don't want to load. I keep seeing these desolate spots scattered all over the place, or running into invisible objects that suddenly burst into existence. Anyone else having these problems?

Installed on 360. It's not totally ruining the game, but it's pretty distracting.

TheExodu5 said:

He's slightly less scary and funnier. I'm torn between the two. I guess you can say this is closer to the traditional Joker, anyway so it fits perfectly with the game.

My girlfriend <3 surprised me with this game yesterday for my birthday and I was shocked to discover the changes made from the demo. Awesome game so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheExodu5 said:

Well, this Joker is very much the Batman Animated series Joker, so there's nothing new. Mark Hamill does a wonderful job. I enjoyed both renditions of the Joker, however. They are very different from one another and both work very well. I really couldn't say which one I prefer.

TheExodu5 said:

Mark Hammil has been, and is the Joker. Even more so than Luke Skywalker, I believe he was born to play this role.

That said, I don't see his Joker as competing with Heath Ledger's. Ledger's Clown Prince of Crime was pure chaos incarnate. He was walking anarchy and his brilliance in the role cannot be overstated. While Hammil's is the Joker from 70 fucking years worth of comics distilled perfectly. They're such different interpretations, that they beautifully co-exist in parallel Gotham Universes for me.

TheExodu5 said:

Well, I really liked Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight", but then again... I don't think he raised the bar. I mean Joker was awesome since.. ever? And to answer your question, I really love the AA Joker. Pure awesomeness.

GQman2121

Banned
Crunched said:
I don't think Ledger's Joker could be beat in film, but this is a different medium. Hamill is great here.

I got past the part that kept freezing for me earlier, but now the game keeps getting really choppy and there are parts of the environment that just don't want to load. I keep seeing these desolate spots scattered all over the place, or running into invisible objects that suddenly burst into existence. Anyone else having these problems?

Installed on 360. It's not totally ruining the game, but it's pretty distracting.

It's not the game, it's your system. She's dying.

The same shit happened to me with Dead Rising a few years ago.

Barso

Banned
Can anyone confirm if the PHYSX on the PC version makes much of an impact on the atmosphere?
I have seen some of the MOD costumes and the tim burton batman costume looks fantastic.

Yeah well, it let myself suck into the GAF hype and ordered the PS3 version today!

Still hate the Batman design and want the Batman1 suit though!!!

Anyone have some help for me at this part,
I'm at the mansion trying to find Dr. Young's Papers. I took out all the thugs, and save the Dr. and guard by cutting the rope on the chandelier. Where the hell are the papers, I've looked over teh whole building with detective mode on and can't find anything.

Zeliard

dark10x said:
Well, this Joker is very much the Batman Animated series Joker, so there's nothing new. Mark Hamill does a wonderful job. I enjoyed both renditions of the Joker, however. They are very different from one another and both work very well. I really couldn't say which one I prefer.

Yeah, I don't know how the two can be compared, really. Hamill provides the (stellar) voice work and as much personality and attitude as can come across in a voice, but Ledger provided the voice work, the body language, the physical idiosyncracies, the look, etc. Not to take anything away from voice acting in general, and particularly not Mark Hamill, but the two roles aren't really comparable since they're so inherently different in their approach and requirements.

The fact that Hamill's Joker is compared to a live-action Joker at all should say a lot about his performance in the role, though.

schennmu said:
Yeah well, it let myself suck into the GAF hype and ordered the PS3 version today!

Still hate the Batman design and want the Batman1 suit though!!!

unlockable (or downloadable, bleh) costumes would be cool

TheExodu5 said:

Infinitely.
As I think my rant earlier in the thread covered, this is the Joker from the comic and the animated series and this is the Joker that I grew up with when he would pop up in Batman or Detective comics.
Again I have much love for Ledger's Joker, but it would be a travesty to ignore many many years and foundations of the character just because of one good performance.
Hamill hit a homerun week after week in TAS with the character long before and had not lost a step since.

Dyno

Also, I really love Unreal Commissioner Gorden. The space marine body works for me! He looks like a senior who can still take care of himself, which is as it should be. :D

stupei

Overlee said:
can anyone help me? I"m trying to find the "new" entrance
to the batcave after defeating Croc and collecting the spore samples. is the entrance through the main sewer junction
at all?

When you
throw up the gate getting out of Croc's lair, if you look to the right further down the tunnel there is solid ground past the water. Right back there you'll find a door.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Barso said:
I have seen some of the MOD costumes and the tim burton batman costume looks fantastic.
Damn hadn't seen those mods (though I'm sure they were probably posted earlier in this monstrothread).

14wag3s.jpg

25r01us.jpg

v60vus.jpg

2yo48lj.jpg

Can't wait. :D

Joei

Dyno said:
Also, I really love Unreal Commissioner Gorden. The space marine body works for me! He looks like a senior who can still take care of himself, which is as it should be. :D

It's funny that people are questioning his body type. At the gym I go to I see a handful of guys in their upper-50's and into their 60's who have great bodies like the commish. All it takes is dedication and hard work.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Can't wait till friday to pick up my CE of this. Played a bit on a 360-system at a friends' place and forced myself to switch it of in order not to ruin the story for myself.

I haven't turned off a game in order not to ruin the story since God of War 2. The Joker is awesome, Hamil's voice is perfect. On account on the Hamil vs Ledger-discussion: I think both are completely different interpretations of the character and should never be compared. Ledger took Joker to a whole new dimension with a certain calm and scariness that is unparalled in movies in general (the only one who came close was Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs). The comic-Joker, on which the AA-Joker is based, is far more maniacal and funnier.

Ironically, Ledger's words were "I'm not a schemer, I just do things." and in Arkham Asylum The Joker schemes Batman into a trap. If you'd ever need evidence that the two are nothing alike and are as comparible as apples and pears, it's that.

Gameplaywise the game impressed me: I thought the simple combat controls would prove to be dull and mindnumbing, but it actually let's you focus on the combat itself and building your combo-meter instead of focussing on a 120-button-sequence to pull off a jumpkick. In a way, the simple combat-mechanics allow you to BE Batman.

From what I've played, this game might just become the game all action-games this generation will be compared with. Hell, I'm already comparing the gameplayvids from Splinter Cell Conviction with Arkham Asylum and as it seems, Sam Fisher ain't got shit on Bats.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm going to buy this game as a present for myself after I finish an indie game I'm making. And damn if it isn't tough waiting a few weeks. :(

I think Ledger's Joker is at the opposite side of the spectrum of Hamill's. Ledger's was perfect for a gritty, more realistic interpretation of the Batman universe. Hamill's is the pinnacle of the classic comic book and cartoon version of the character. They don't really need to be compared because they exist in separate universes. I think Ledger's version would seem odd in Arkham Asylum, just as someone aping Hamill's performance would have seemed stupid or corny in TDK.

Zeliard

neojubei said:
Killer Croc was actually very terrifying in the intro.

I zoomed in on his face in that scene and he was staring Batman dead in the eyes when threatening him. Dude actually was a little freaky. :lol

Can anyone tell me how far I am
I just rescued the Dr from the knife weilding Zsasz. I heard this is the about the halfway point.
Can anyone confirm?

AstroLad said:
Damn hadn't seen those mods (though I'm sure they were probably posted earlier in this monstrothread).

14wag3s.jpg

25r01us.jpg

v60vus.jpg

2yo48lj.jpg

Can't wait. :D

Holy shit a brick, batman!

Are these on consoles?

I need all of those..... NAO!

I think there may be soreness ahead, but i shall prevail.

Cereal

NinjaFusion said:
Holy shit a brick, batman!

Are these on consoles?

I need all of those..... NAO!

I think there may be soreness ahead, but i shall prevail.
Pretty sure those are just PC Mods from the Demo. I would microtransaction the shit out of those costumes though if Rocksteady were able to.

This game is so badass that I'm considering going home at lunch for 30 minutes to play a few rounds on challenge modes. Though, that may be just enough time to torture me the rest of the afternoon.

Top Bottom