• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
tim1138 said:
My favorite parts have to be
the third Scarecrow encounter and going through the Botanical Gardens the last time on the hunt for Ivy

When that started I totally thought my PS3 was dead. Fucked me up good.

ezekial45 said:
Quick question; is the Joker DLC a permanent exclusive for PS3? I heard that the DC Universe online game has something to do with it as well.

The only people that know the answer to this question for certain are Rocksteady and Sony. Any other answers are pure speculation. I would not be surprised in the least if he turns out to be "exclusive" for a set period of time, just as Darth Vader and Yoda were to their respective systems in Soul Calibur IV.

We could very well see him pop up as DLC for the X360 in 1-6 months.

painey said:
Kinda odd that Batmans voice actor is a thousand times better than Bale, loving the voice acting on a whole. Spooky.

There's not a damn thing odd about it - Kevin Conroy has been Batman for decades. Bale? A few years.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
K2Valor said:
I'm stuck. I'm playing on hard and right now ( just towards the very end of the game ) I am finally stuck because of the difficulty. Help:

I am in the small, octagonal room where the Titan comes out and you have to fight him. Meanwhile, guys keep pouring out. I can't take on both at once.
Finally got it! For those who get stuck in the same place I did:

Do as much damage to the Titan before you kill the actual enemies. New waves come only when you defeat the current wave, so you could technically kill the Titan without summoning any extra waves. Word of warning though, you have to fight all 3 waves at the very end if you postpone it that long. Still works though.

Zzoram

TheSonicRetard said:
There's not a damn thing odd about it - Kevin Conroy has been Batman for decades. Bale? A few years.

Kevin Conroy does do the best Batman voice I've ever heard. They should almost dub Christian Bale with Kevin Conroy in the movies.

Chorazin

pixel monkey said:
The only people that know the answer to this question for certain are Rocksteady and Sony. Any other answers are pure speculation. I would not be surprised in the least if he turns out to be "exclusive" for a set period of time, just as Darth Vader and Yoda were to their respective systems in Soul Calibur IV.

We could very well see him pop up as DLC for the X360 in 1-6 months.

I could swear I read something stating that Sony paid for the development of the Joker DLC.

I wouldn't be suprised if that is true, that influx of cash wasn't one of the reasons they were comfortable enough to delay the game and polish it more.

pixel monkey said:
Exactly. Particularly not when there's micro transaction money to be made and bills to pay!

Not that it matters to people who want to invent drama and whatnot, but Eidos themselves on the official site said straight out that it is and will always be only on the PS3 version.
Someone posted it earlier in this thread.
Again, I understand completely that such things get ignored because people want to believe what they want to believe and they can not just enjoy a game for what it is...but this is not going anywhere.

Can somebody explain the combo timing to me? This is a guy who's beaten Ninja Gaiden, yet I'm having trouble getting fluid combo's in this game. I think the problem is that the speed is always fluctuating - going in and out of 'slow mo'. Specifically, I purchased the combo upgrade that indicates I should 'hit the button once at the end of a combo in order to activate a critical combo' - or something to that effect.

So just focusing on the X button, do I need to be timing them, and if so, when? Or is it just mash away? Sometimes I'll finish the combo with some wicked ass powerful hit, which I assume is the upgrade I unlocked, but not sure, nor am I sure exactly what I did to trigger it.

Is there a way to combo in your other abilities, such as the baterang or cape stun? Or perhaps running combos?

I feel I need to elevate myself beyond the mashing I've sort of been doing up until this point.

OokieSpookie said:
Not that it matters to people who want to invent drama and whatnot, but Eidos themselves on the official site said straight out that it is and will always be only on the PS3 version.

If Eidos did say that, then I wouldn't expect to see it. Makes no difference to me one way or the other as it's just for the challenge rooms anyway.

I bought the game yesterday for $38.99 Canadian at Wal-Mart,
I played it for over two hours straight and I had great time.

It said I was at 4% completion. How many hours is story mode on normal roughly?

methane47

PoweredBySoy said:
Can somebody explain the combo timing to me? This is a guy who's beaten Ninja Gaiden, yet I'm having trouble getting fluid combo's in this game. I think the problem is that the speed is always fluctuating - going in and out of 'slow mo'. Specifically, I purchased the combo upgrade that indicates I should 'hit the button once at the end of a combo in order to activate a critical combo' - or something to that effect.

So just focusing on the X button, do I need to be timing them, and if so, when? Or is it just mash away? Sometimes I'll finish the combo with some wicked ass powerful hit, which I assume is the upgrade I unlocked, but not sure, nor am I sure exactly what I did to trigger it.

Is there a way to combo in your other abilities, such as the baterang or cape stun? Or perhaps running combos?

I feel I need to elevate myself beyond the mashing I've sort of been doing up until this point.

I Dont have the game.. but i can tell you mashing is not the route to go.... the timing isn't that difficult either... you press attact (and hold the direction on the stick of where you want to attack) There will be some time changing in and out of slow-mo... And as that attack finishes.. point the stick in a new direction to attack.. and press attack again. Its that simple.

when my bro first tried the demo I reallly really had to work it OUT of him not to mash attack.... but I guess some games have conditioned us to love to do that..

ant_

gutter_trash said:
I bought the game yesterday for $38.99 Canadian at Wal-Mart,
I played it for over two hours straight and I had great time.

It said I was a 4% completiong. How many hours is story mode on normal roughly?
I would say 11-12.

Just to clear it up so we can get back to basking in the awesomeness that is this game...

Official Faq

"Platform Exclusive
(ATTN: As confirmed by Sefton Hill of Rocksteady, the Joker will only be playable on the PS3 and will not be playable on the 360 at anytime in the future. It is a permanent PS3-only exclusive. This is due to an exclusive deal that Sony has for the video game.)"

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=91193

ant_

PoweredBySoy said:

I think of the combat like a rhythm game. You hit a few guys, and you see another guy coming in for a punch. Counter. Hit more guys, counter. Once you unlock more moves (Instant Takedown, Throw, Batarang) you can chain all of these moves into a combo.

Ephemeris

pixel monkey said:
If Eidos did say that, then I wouldn't expect to see it. Makes no difference to me one way or the other as it's just for the challenge rooms anyway.
I've always downplayed the exclusive DLC, but playing with the Joker was surprisingly fun to be honest. :lol

OokieSpookie said:
Just to clear it up so we can get back to basking in the awesomeness that is this game...

Official Faq

"Platform Exclusive
(ATTN: As confirmed by Sefton Hill of Rocksteady, the Joker will only be playable on the PS3 and will not be playable on the 360 at anytime in the future. It is a permanent PS3-only exclusive. This is due to an exclusive deal that Sony has for the video game.)"

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=91193

As I said earlier, great. Yay for you?

Those of us who own both a PS3 and a X360 and bought it for Microsoft's system obviously chose that version because we felt it was the one to go with and challenge room exclusives were not really a factor.

Maybe you can un-bunch your Sony panties now and move on.

methane47 said:
I Dont have the game.. but i can tell you mashing is not the route to go.... the timing isn't that difficult either... you press attact (and hold the direction on the stick of where you want to attack) There will be some time changing in and out of slow-mo... And as that attack finishes.. point the stick in a new direction to attack.. and press attack again. Its that simple.

Okay, I do understand that much. I guess when I say I 'mash', I don't mean literally. I'm not pounding on the controller like an ape - or like they do in sitcoms on television.

I'm more asking about how do I trigger those slo-mo critical attacks at the end of the combo. Normal combo's tend to knock the enemy to the ground, while these critical shots put them out for good.

Do I need to be timing the attack button after each individual shot (which is what I'm finding difficult), or just the last shot of the combo?

pixel monkey said:

Those of us who own both a PS3 and a X360 and bought it for Microsoft's system obviously chose that version because we felt it was the one to go with and challenge room exclusives were not really a factor.

What the hell?
Why are you getting so defensive? :lol

It's been posted about 100 times in this thread already, but the question keeps coming up, so therefore, it keeps having to be answered.
Relax dude. Jeez. :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
pixel monkey said:

Why So Serious?

Ephemeris

neojubei said:
Why So Serious?
madmonkey.jpg

Revolutionary said:
What the hell?
Why are you getting so defensive? :lol

It's been posted about 100 times in this thread already, but the question keeps coming up, so therefore, it keeps having to be answered.
Relax dude. Jeez. :lol

OokieSpookie said:
Not that it matters to people who want to invent drama and whatnot...
Again, I understand completely that such things get ignored because people want to believe what they want to believe...

Oh yeah, I definitely started that shite.

Christopher

pixel monkey said:

ok?

Hawk SE

I have to wait 2 weeks so I can buy the PC version on Steam for $49.99

I'm soooo tempted to get this on 360 for $15 more (with tax of course)
- Someone talk me out of it!

Hawk xSx said:

Hell naw! Go get this shit now... you need it NOW!!!!!

Jtrizzy

I went back and forth on which system to buy it for, but am glad I went with PS3. If anyone is still on the fence, I think the Joker challenge rooms are worth it and are a lot of fun. The challenege rooms are awesome for both characters imo.

Jtrizzy said:
I went back and forth on which system to buy it for, but am glad I went with PS3. If anyone is still on the fence, I think the Joker challenge rooms are worth it and are a lot of fun. The challenege rooms are awesome for both characters imo.

I had never even mentioned which system I bought the game for, as I just don't think it matters and I fucking hate the whole fanboy system war bullshit.

However, now that I've revealed my platform of choice, I was torn as well but past experience with UE3 on the PS3 swayed me to the X360.

And before anyone fires another fucking salvo in a pointless system battle, that statement on UE3 performance is based solely on my own past experience and is in no way meant to slander Sony or their fine system. *Sigh*

Ephemeris

Zeliard said:
How differently does the Joker play compared to Batman?

I have the PS3 version but haven't tried any challenge rooms yet.

Fighting is one thing. They're different, but nothing substantial.

Where it does differ greatly however, is the Predator mode. Mr. J has no grapple for one (never realized how dependant I was on the grapple till then :lol ). He has X-ray glasses but you can't move around in them, a 1-shot gun and a remote-controlled explosive...

Granted, I don't have all of bat's upgrades so I'm not sure if Joker's affected by this.

Zeliard said:
How differently does the Joker play compared to Batman?

I have the PS3 version but haven't tried any challenge rooms yet.
- No bathook alternative
- the laughing gas (cape) stun has a wider AOE but takes longer to execute
- the ground takedowns take a MUCH longer time to do
- the batarang has been replaced with a one-shot gun that can take several guards out if they're lined up (and makes for a nice slow-mo finisher).
Aside from that, the rest is pretty much the same with Joker's quirks and attacks. His takedown animations are typically longer too but you're invulnerable during that time so who cares.

Joker throwing guards is a bit of a weird sight, though.

Also, shooting Gordon in the nuts is always fun.

edit: i forgot to mention the stealth portions. Yeah, totally different. Think the Predator (extreme) challenges.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Just got my 240th challenge done, not fun. Definitely needed more riddles and less chattering teeth fucking wandering off alone.

Baker

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
Who's the boss dude you fight first? Is some some generic evil guy or an actual character?

Not Zsazs.
Generic guy, but it's explained later on in the story.

PoweredBySoy said:
Okay, I do understand that much. I guess when I say I 'mash', I don't mean literally. I'm not pounding on the controller like an ape - or like they do in sitcoms on television.

I'm more asking about how do I trigger those slo-mo critical attacks at the end of the combo. Normal combo's tend to knock the enemy to the ground, while these critical shots put them out for good.

Do I need to be timing the attack button after each individual shot (which is what I'm finding difficult), or just the last shot of the combo?
The combat is a lot like Assassin's Creed. You press the attack button as soon as your previous attack lands. You can press a direction to tell him which guy to go to also. So like AC (and NG), you can end up flying ten feet across the room to hit the next baddie.

It's not complicated, but it definitely has a little bit of depth to it.

Nozdeuce said:
Just got my 240th challenge done, not fun. Definitely needed more riddles and less chattering teeth fucking wandering off alone.
I never had a problem with the teeth. They're ALWAYS placed in your path for missions. ALWAYS.
If you missed them on your playthrough then you weren't vigilant enough or taking the wrong paths.
By the time I was at the end (both times I played through), I checked the challenge maps and they were all done. All I needed was the gadget backtrack trophies and riddles.

EzLink said:
Do you get something cool from completing all of them? I know one of the achievements is
"Solve Arkhams Biggest Mystery"
so I'm guessing its tied to the riddles... is it even worth it? I'm gonna do it all anyway of course, but I'm just hoping for a decent reward at the end
That's tied to the Spirit of Arkham translations you've been finding throughout the game. Listen to them when you've gathered all of them and 'figure it out' for that achievement.

EzLink

Banned
Nozdeuce said:

Do you get something cool from completing all of them? I know one of the achievements is
so I'm guessing its tied to the riddles... is it even worth it? I'm gonna do it all anyway of course, but I'm just hoping for a decent reward at the end

Ephemeris

Revolutionary said:
... a one-shot gun that can take several guards out if they're lined up (and makes for a nice slow-mo finisher).
Never knew about this. :D
Also, shooting Gordon in the nuts is always fun.
I took great pleasure in shooting him after he hit me in head with a concrete block. >_>

How dare he break my combo.

JRW

Hawk xSx said:

I bought it on 360 but also plan on buying PC's version, The game is that good lol (Plus PC's has the added Physx effects) Although I must admit playing 360's version on a 50" Plasma & 7.1 surround was a kickass gaming experience. Not sure if the game will have the same effect on my 24" PC monitor / Logitech Z5500 speakers.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Revolutionary said:
I never had a problem with the teeth. They're ALWAYS placed in your path for missions. ALWAYS.
If you missed them on your playthrough then you weren't vigilant enough or taking the wrong paths.
By the time I was at the end (both times I played through), I checked the challenge maps and they were all done. All I needed was the gadget backtrack trophies and riddles.
The couple that gave me trouble were in the
patient observation room in the medical facility, it was above the little room the people were trapped in dunno how i missed it. I also got the 3 that were up top in the Warden's Office in the Mansion but before I fought the boss so died and lost them, completely forgot about them for the longest time

EzLink said:
Got an achievement for doing all 240, havent actually gotten to that part yet though :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
JRW said:
I bought it on 360 but also plan on buying PC's version, The game is that good lol (Plus PC's has the added Physx effects) Although I must admit playing 360's version on a 50" Plasma & 7.1 surround was a kickass gaming experience. Not sure if the game will have the same effect on my 24" PC monitor / Logitech Z5500 speakers.
Even in the demo I find that the Physx (on normal no less) makes a really big difference in terms of atmosphere.

MMaRsu

Awwwwwww yeah I'm still at work but picking this game up in about 20 minutes. Gonna play till I have to sleep! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Undeux

I know this discussion happened at some point in this thread, but are there any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions other than the camera being further back for the PS3? Does the camera being back make a big difference?

ravien56

Zzoram said:
Canadian sale, might be the first 3 days only. It was advertised on Xbox LIVE which is how people know about it.
Alright thanks for the heads up, glad I looked into this thread, if I pick this game up for $40, I'll buy it for sure.

ravien56 said:
This game costs $40 at wal-mart? Is this a sale?
in Canada yes, until Friday the 27th
Best-Buy and Futureshop both price matched also.

the game is selling like crazy over here in MTL and the burbs, hard to find due to the sale. I had to drive off way into the burbs at WM to get one

Undeux said:
I know this discussion happened at some point in this thread, but are there any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions other than the camera being further back for the PS3? Does the camera being back make a big difference?

Haven't played the full game yet, only the demo,
HURRY AMAZON!
but the camera only really zooms in when you're not doing anything important. As soon as there are enemies around you, it pulls out really far so you can beat them up, and it even pulls back if you start crouch walking or running.

The only time being zoomed in gave me trouble was when I wanted to drop off a gargoyle and use melee attacks on the dude I dropped by, like if he was the last one in the room. The camera stayed zoomed in and Batman was tripping over his own ridiculous cape while getting shot. :lol Next time I'll just use a Batarang.

Top Bottom