• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

I guess the moral of the story is... Some people may brag about how their version of "Batman: Arkham Asylum" comes with a Joker mode. Some may brag about minor graphical differences. BUT MY VERSION OF "ARKHAM ASYLUM" COMES WITH A FUCKING LIVE BAT. Trump that, fucke

:lol

Raxus

tehvampire said:
The extreme challenge fighting rooms are fun!

That challenge room based on the area in the demo, does anyone pick up enemies and throw them into those electric barries or off the rail? :D
Except for shock and awe. It punishes you for taking your time with combos making some moves impossible to do (bat claw and ground pound). I think I hit rank 11 in Rumble in the Jungle in the WW leaderboards :D .

DieH@rd

Banned
The Wise Old Man said:
I guess the moral of the story is... Some people may brag about how their version of "Batman: Arkham Asylum" comes with a Joker mode. Some may brag about minor graphical differences. BUT MY VERSION OF "ARKHAM ASYLUM" COMES WITH A FUCKING LIVE BAT. Trump that, fuckers.

:lol pics???? :D
or it didnt happen

Double D

Volcynika said:
Made a good bit of progress last night, went from
post-battle with Bane to where Poison Ivy got released by Harley.
Also, was it just me, or did anyone else
(after seeing Killer Croc behind that door in the catacombs) be a little wary with every new door, wondering if he was gonna pop out and attack :lol

Stopped at the same exact part. I'm really getting into the game now, as opposed to my lukewarm first session. The
scarecrow
segments have been awesome. I've been really pleased with the enemy design as well. And the boss fights have been very satisfying so far. I'm sure it's been mentioned several times already, but they do a great job of making you feel like the badass mofo that Batman is.

TheFallen

Papercuts said:
I never realized the tears in his cape made it seem like hit body wasn't there, haha.
look again, that's the utility belt texture. It's the same in each photo. His body is definitely there.

DieH@rd said:
:lol pics???? :D
or it didnt happen

Look dude, when there's a live bat flying around your apartment, you're not exactly thinking "hey, lemme grab a photo of this to post on an internet forum!" You know? You're pretty much focused on trying to un-fuck the situation.

But it did fucking happen. I swear.

Mdk7

I tried the demo, i'm definitely impressed.
I wasn't planning to buy it, but the demo completely sold me: tomorrow i'll be there for sure.
Other 65 euros gone, fuck. :p

_RT_

Zzoram said:
Ya, Walmart sparked a price slashing war, and everyone was down to $38 even if they didn't normally price match.

Wut?
I just bought this yesterday at Walmart for $60.
Did I miss something?
How do I get it for $38?

Chairhome

I thought the game was kinda slow and repetitive... at first. Holy crap, this is the Batman game I've been waiting for.

One cool touch is that there seem to be multiple death scenes depending on where you die or who kills you. Most of them are just taunts, but some are different. One nice touch that references a comic story line is when you die in the 2nd boss fight
against Bane. If you die against him, the death scene is him lifting you up over his head, then breaking your back across his knee. This happened in the comics
. I'm hoping to see a youtube montage of the different death scenes.

This game is holding up as a fantastic rental, but I definitely want to own this. Probably going to spring for the PC version when I have the money.

EzLink

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
There is no hyperbole here. I mean every word. Arkham Asylum is a perfect game. The pacing is absolute magic. The game goes from one stunning setpiece to another. It's like a long succession of some of the greatest gaming moments, that anyone can undertake. The gameworld, is possibly the best designed and engrossing I've seen in a videogame. Everything, from the stellar combat, the perfect voice acting (Oscar caliber, for real this time) to the staggering amount of polish and content, just reeks of gaming nirvana...you cannot miss this game.

I say that if you don't play Arkham Asylum, you missed this gen. Simple as that.

This is probably like the fifth time I've harped on this issue so far but the only thing stopping it from being a perfect game for me is lack of NG+ and extra costumes :(

I figure maybe if I keep complaining about it somebody from Eidos will read it and release DLC that features new batsuits and NG+!

Either way, I'm still gonna play through story mode probably at least two more times in the coming weeks and also try to go for the full 1000 achievement points. Such an amazing amazing game. For sure going to crack my top 5 all time list

McNum said:
Looks like the viral marketing has started. There are two AA related websites up now:

Gotham City Municipal
and Arkham Care

The Arkham Care website has an employee login, but it requires a Guard ID. Did any of you notice a guard's ID or email address during the game?

This has all been up for a while and has been cracked. Can't remember quite how to do it but it's quite cool as virals go. It unlocks inmate tapes sessions that you can probably find on youtube now.

Baker

Banned
Thanks to a couple sick days, I beat it last night. I was around 80% of the riddle challenges and it probably took around 12 hours on normal which surprised the crap out of me.

I need to play through it again, but my preliminary opinion is this fucking thing could be one of the Top 10 greatest games ever made.

I don't really know how to explain it... It's like if Resident Evil 4, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Condemned, and [late game spoiler]
Eternal Darkness
got drunk at a frat party and experimented with making sweet, sweet unprotected monkey sex under the moonlit sky.

mike0513

Banned
I am so torn between waiting it out for the pc version, or getting the ps3 version. While the joker content looks worth the purchase, I am a pc gamer at heart...

Baker

Banned
lostxii said:
Huh, scarecrow grabbed the box at the end in my game.
Awesome, I guess there are multiple endings.
I got Croc grabbing the case at the end.

Has the internet figured out what causes them yet?

Baker said:
Awesome, I guess there are multiple endings.
I got Croc grabbing the case at the end.

Has the internet figured out what causes them yet?
I was going to say that maybe it was from playing on different difficulties, but I beat it on normal and
got the Scarecrow ending instead.

AniHawk

I think I'm a mission away from endgame, and I gotta say, the only part I really disliked was
Killer Croc
. That just dragged on way too fucking long.

Baker

Banned
AniHawk said:
I think I'm a mission away from endgame, and I gotta say, the only part I really disliked was
Killer Croc
. That just dragged on way too fucking long.
That part pissed me off before I figured out
you could throw the batarang at him. I thought if he jumped out of the water, it meant you fucked up and had to run all the way back to the beginning.
:lol

painey

well this game should be called Awesome Asylum. I love how its so gritty and dark. Kinda odd that Batmans voice actor is a thousand times better than Bale, loving the voice acting on a whole. Spooky.

McNum

Shake Appeal said:
This started weeks and weeks ago, before the demo even.

I'm just slow, then. First time I saw it. Carry on. I'll just wait patiently for the PC version... I really should stop reading about the game now. Eh, who am I kidding, I won't.

Nobody here will probably care but I just heard a stock drum loop from a music program called Stylus RMX. It's sort of a millitary style drum loop of snares, while you're outside and making way to the
hospital
, after you find the
Batmobile

Not the first time I've heard stock samples from a music program in movies, games and TV though. Just strange for me.

Xater

Ok played a few hours and holy shit this game is awesome. So far it totally lives up to expectations. Hopefuly this will also be a commercial success and we can get more comic book games of this quality.

Barrett2

Finally managed to stop playing so I can try to get some work done. Just had second encounter with
Scarecrow
, still awesome.

I keep thinking how ridiculous / awesome / terrible / funny it would be if out of nowhere Robin busted through the door and started fighting alongside me, with big text bubbles popping up every time he punched someone; "Smack!" "Boom!" "Kapow!"

Hyunkel6

Are any of the collectibles missable? Or can I go back to any part of the map as long as I don't defeat the final boss?

Only ~2 hours in so far, but I can tell that this is GOTY material for me. It's a shame that some people are running though the entire game in detective mode. This has to be one of the best-looking game of this generation.

Dude Abides

Banned
Batman's face looks kinda sweaty/greasy in close-ups, like he just finished a bacon cheeseburger with cheese fries on a 90-degree day.

Hyunkel6 said:
It's a shame that some people are running though the entire game in detective mode.

I caught myself doing this during the demo. (have yet to fire up the full game, even though I got it on Tues! damn you busy schedule!) I wish that it would turn off automatically after a bit and then take time to recharge before you could use it again. Either that or have limited battery life that can only be filled at certain stations or something (electric cables with exposed wiring could serve as a refill station)

Dude Abides said:
Batman's face looks kinda sweaty/greasy in close-ups, like he just finished a bacon cheeseburger with cheese fries on a 90-degree day.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries Gotham franchise confirmed!!
(Owned by Wayne Enterprises of course)

AniHawk

Hyunkel6 said:
Are any of the collectibles missable? Or can I go back to any part of the map as long as I don't defeat the final boss?

Only ~2 hours in so far, but I can tell that this is GOTY material for me. It's a shame that some people are running though the entire game in detective mode. This has to be one of the best-looking game of this generation.

I think it looks hideous, to be honest.

GQman2121

Banned
Has there ever been a more badass use of slow motion than the jumping-dive move in this game? I mean the cape just puts it on another level of badassness for me.

I can't believe this is Unreal 3; it makes other games--like Mirrors Edge--who use the engine look like they're doing something wrong. It's not even fair.

Zeliard

Baker said:
Oh fuck I am so sorry.

Wow, I really feel like a dick now.

Eh, no biggie. Mistakes happen.

GQman2121 said:
Has there ever been a more badass use of slow motion than the jumping-dive move in this game? I mean the cape just puts it on another level of badassness for me.

I can't believe this is Unreal 3; it makes other games--like Mirrors Edge--who use the engine look like they're doing something wrong. It's not even fair.

Is Mirror's Edge really the right example to use there? It's easily one of the best-looking UE3 games, especially the PC version.

Chorazin

painey said:
well this game should be called Awesome Asylum. I love how its so gritty and dark. Kinda odd that Batmans voice actor is a thousand times better than Bale, loving the voice acting on a whole. Spooky.

Why is it odd? Kevin Conroy has been voice acting Batman for 17 years now. He IS Batman.

Hi GAF-

I really want to get a hold of the Dem Bones map (I'm a PS3 user). Would anyone be interested in gamesharing it? I have a few decent purchases that I'd be happy to let you download in return. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Thanks.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Question about the
You Don't Know Jack
riddle:
are supposed to do something with the radio Jack whatshisname is heard from?

Baker

Banned
neorej said:
Question about the
You Don't Know Jack
riddle:
Yeah, scan it. Just hold down LB or R1 (I'm assuming) when you're standing in front of it.

That's how you find all the riddles except the trophies.

neorej said:
Question about the
You Don't Know Jack
riddle:

Stand in front of the radio and hold the environmental scanner

Edit- Beaten! Well at least I still beat the Butcher and the Candlestick Maker....

GQman2121

Banned
Zeliard said:
Is Mirror's Edge really the right example to use there? It's easily one of the best-looking UE3 games, especially the PC version.

It's a decent looking game, but they reuse so many of the assets over and over again. I played it on the console, so I'm sure it did look light years better on the PC with the added GPU features that it supported.

Edit: I'll keep it in the superhero family and say X-men Origins: Wolverine. That was a rough looking game.

Nicktendo86

The Wise Old Man said:
Now let me tell you this much: no windows were open in the apartment last night. We don't have chimneys. I have absolutely no idea how this motherfucking bat got inside the apartment.

I guess the moral of the story is... Some people may brag about how their version of "Batman: Arkham Asylum" comes with a Joker mode. Some may brag about minor graphical differences. BUT MY VERSION OF "ARKHAM ASYLUM" COMES WITH A FUCKING LIVE BAT. Trump that, fuckers.

That was the best videogaming anecdote I've ever read, bravo sir, if I were wearing a hat, I'd be tipping it right now. :lol

GQman2121 said:
It's a decent looking game, but they reuse so many of the assets over and over again. I played it on the console, so I'm sure it did look light years better on the PC with the added GPU features that it supported.

Edit: I'll keep it in the superhero family and say X-men Origins: Wolverine. That was a rough looking game.

Mirror's edge look gorgeous on PC. It's not just the PhysX stuff either as the higher resolution and AA make the art look cleaner. It makes a huge difference for this title.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357957

Takao

Banned
I hate to ask this because I'm so early into the game, but I'm lost at a certain point.
I'm at the point where you're trying to follow the guy who kidnapped Gordon and are tracking him by the levels of alchool in the air outside of the holding cells. How do I go through the shielded corridor next to the cells? That's where the Detective Mode is leading me...

Top Bottom