• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

im stuck...

im following this guy's alcohol breath in the air. im in this room now where there are 2 doors, both locked, but i can see thats where i need to go. from each door there is a wire leading up to this glass room with a floor i can open and go into. the wires lead to a box i cant seem to do anything with...what do i do?

Pimpbaa

Fucking Scarecrow! Playing on gamers fears is not cool man, NOT COOL.
Would have been really cool if they could have forced the 360 version to cause a false RROD, now that would really scared the shit out of some :lol

JRW

AstroLad said:
Even in the demo I find that the Physx (on normal no less) makes a really big difference in terms of atmosphere.

True, they did add a lot of little Physx touches that add up, Thinking about it makes me want the full PC version even more. Is it me or is batman's cape affected by Physx as well? (demo).

Rollo Larson said:
im stuck...

im following this guy's alcohol breath in the air. im in this room now where there are 2 doors, both locked, but i can see thats where i need to go. from each door there is a wire leading up to this glass room with a floor i can open and go into. the wires lead to a box i cant seem to do anything with...what do i do?

Look for a vent.

Baker

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Fucking Scarecrow! Playing on gamers fears is not cool man, NOT COOL.
Would have been really cool if they could have forced the 360 version to cause a false RROD, now that would really scared the shit out of some :lol
Yeah they totally could have fucked around more with that.

- Show the 360 boot animation.

- Go to a fucked up, fake dashboard with your avatar going crazy.

Hell, the part that confused me the most in that whole scenario is when it said "Push the middle stick to dodge the Joker's bullet." Haha.

tim1138

One thing I meant to include in my original post game impressions post: no freaking QTE's.

I didn't mind them when Shenmue introduced, loved the knife fight in RE4, but my god it seems like every big 3rd person action game uses them now. So refreshing to play an action game that had no QTE boss fights or finishing moves or any of that nonsense. Kudos Rocksteady!

Baker said:
Hell, the part that confused me the most in that whole scenario is when it said "Push the middle stick to dodge the Joker's bullet." Haha.

I wonder what would happen if you
opt to quit there and not retry
?

Brashnir

tim1138 said:
One thing I meant to include in my original post game impressions post: no freaking QTE's.

I didn't mind them when Shenmue introduced, loved the knife fight in RE4, but my god it seems like every big 3rd person action game uses them now. So refreshing to play an action game that had no QTE boss fights or finishing moves or any of that nonsense. Kudos Rocksteady!

I wonder what would happen if you
opt to quit there and not retry
?

Good point. I hate QTEs, and it hadn't even occurred to me that this game doesn't have them. No wonder I'm loving it.

Brashnir said:
Good point. I hate QTEs, and it hadn't even occurred to me that this game doesn't have them. No wonder I'm loving it.

yes refreshing it is here,
instead it teaches you to really on visual cues instead. So instead of looking at button presses, you learn to look at your enemy's anticiaption instead which makes it better

Baker

Banned
tim1138 said:

I would have put it in my Top 5 instead of Top 10 if it had QTEs. Seriously.

It was the first thing I bitched about.

tim1138

gutter_trash said:
yes refreshing it is here,
instead it teaches you to really on visual cues instead. So instead of looking at button presses, you learn to look at your enemy's anticiaption instead which makes it better

Excellent point, because in the end QTE's can distract you from watching whats happening on screen.
Maybe more dev's will take note.

Baker said:
I would have put it in my Top 5 instead of Top 10 if it had QTEs. Seriously.

It was the first thing I bitched about.

I dunno that I would have been been as determined to complete it if all the boss fights or combo finishes would have devolved into QTE's. Again it was so refreshing to play an action game without that nonsense.

Baker

Banned
tim1138 said:
Excellent point, because in the end QTE's can distract you from watching whats happening on screen.
Oh, I didn't want crap popping up during combat.

However, I think QTEs during cutscenes and stuff like that is an awesome invention.

tim1138 said:
exactly, back in the day of the 16-bit era, you would look at the bosse's animation and his big wind-ups and anticipations to gauge you dodge, counter or jump to get out of the way.

BM:AA does this with the enemy animations. Teaching you to look at the enemy instead of a QTE button

tim1138

Baker said:

However, I think QTEs during cutscenes and stuff like that is an awesome invention.

That's the problem, too much of it does pop up into combat now. I still think the best use of QTE's was the knife fight in RE4, everything to me outside that has been extraneous.

JRW

There's so many things they did right with this game its enough to make ones head spin thinking about it.

Brashnir

Baker said:

Those are the absolute worst kind. You're sitting there thinking you're watching a cutscene and set the controller in your lap for a second, then a button pops up on screen and you can't hit it because you put down the controller. Then you have to watch the fucking cutscene again and wait for a button press to not die instantly.

anyway, back to talking about the wonderful no-QTE Arkham Asylum...

tim1138

JRW said:
There's so many things they did right with this game its enough to make ones head spin thinking about it.

Yep, and it's awesome because at least in my case most of it I didn't even think about or really notice until I beat it--like the no QTE's. Everything about the game feels so seamless and right that you don't really question anything. Pretty sure this is gonna end up being my GotY.

Hawk SE

AstroLad said:
Even in the demo I find that the Physx (on normal no less) makes a really big difference in terms of atmosphere.

Yeah it does...stupid PC version delayed. If it was in the demo, how was it not ready you know?

So everyone recommends I spend the money and just get the 360 version huh???? I guess I could get both at some point, but saving $10-15 at the outset, seems to make the most sense. But two months is a long wait for a game already out that I can afford....choices choices.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So what is everyones favorite gadget?

The batclaw is awesome, and it feels fucking powerful when you shoot it. You get a little vibration, and it shakes the screen a little.

But my favorite gadget by far is the one that shots two ropes where you can go across them like a zipline ( I forgot what it's called ). I thought at first you could only use it in certain spots, but you can use that shit everywhere. The noise they have for the ziplining is damn perfect too.

Zeliard

JRW said:

So true. The game somehow manages a feat that isn't all that common, too, which is that it starts off really good to begin with and actually gets better. Most games will start off poorly and get better, or start off poorly and remain poor, or start off good and turn to shit.

It's very rare when a game starts off very strongly and still continually surprises you throughout it with new, awesome things.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hawk xSx said:
Yeah it does...stupid PC version delayed. If it was in the demo, how was it not ready you know?

So everyone recommends I spend the money and just get the 360 version huh???? I guess I could get both at some point, but saving $10-15 at the outset, seems to make the most sense. But two months is a long wait for a game already out that I can afford....choices choices.
I thought it was coming out Sept. 15.

tim1138

K2Valor said:

The batclaw is awesome, and it feels fucking powerful when you shoot it. You get a little vibration, and it shakes the screen a little.

But my favorite gadget by far is the one that shots two ropes where you can go across them like a zipline ( I forgot what it's called ). I thought at first you could only use it in certain spots, but you can use that shit everywhere. The noise they have for the ziplining is damn perfect too.

My favorite is the Batclaw because it has so many uses, especially late in the game. I also got tons of use out of the Batarangs as well--that sonic one comes in real handy at times.

Montresor

Hello everyone. I just got Batman AA... scored an awesome deal courtesy of the Walmarts in Canada. I bought the 360 version of the game for 38 dollars plus tax.

My burning question is, Are there any achievements that become ungettable after a certain point in the storyline? Any point of no returns? I think, from searching in this thread, that I will encounter no such problems with regards to riddles and challenges. I just want to make sure there's nothing else that's ungettable.

Anyway, I'm very excited to jump into this game and start blasting through it. I enjoyed the demo very very much.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hawk xSx said:
You're right. Transpose MONTHS to WEEKS. It's what I meant...
Ah okay, had me worried there. Yeah, for a story game I can take the wait. I'll probably tweak my OC settings to see if I can't get a consistent 60 on max with physx on.

Red

nourali2 said:
Hello everyone. I just got Batman AA... scored an awesome deal courtesy of the Walmarts in Canada. I bought the 360 version of the game for 38 dollars plus tax.

My burning question is, Are there any achievements that become ungettable after a certain point in the storyline? Any point of no returns? I think, from searching in this thread, that I will encounter no such problems with regards to riddles and challenges. I just want to make sure there's nothing else that's ungettable.

Anyway, I'm very excited to jump into this game and start blasting through it. I enjoyed the demo very very much.
The
Titan
achievements (Mano a mano, freakshow rodeo) are missable. Unless you can fight
Titans
in the challenge rooms and I'm somehow unaware.

ant_

Crunched said:
The
Titan
Titans
How do you get Mano a mano? Just fight him with your hands? Or do you have to kill him or something with hand to hand combat

Crunched said:
The
Titan
Titans

Both trophies/achievements are described as "any play mode" which means you can do them outside of the main campaign, and therefore are not missable.

Montresor

Valkyr Junkie said:
Both trophies/achievements are described as "any play mode" which means you can do them outside of the main campaign, and therefore are not missable.

Win! So there are essentially no missable achievements then?

Thanks to everyone for their replies btw.

The mano-a-mano and freakshow rodeo are not missable.
Titans
can be found in the final Extreme Brawler challenge (and another, possibly - can't remember for sure).

The only missable trophy/achievement in the game is Party Pooper.

Red

Valkyr Junkie said:
How else can you fight those guys?

Nevermind, answered above. What's party pooper?

123rl

This is brilliant! I've played it for a few hours now and it's great to have such a fun, well-developed, proper action/stealth game. I can't fault it - everything from variety, to pacing, to voice acting...it is so well done. This is easily going to be in my top 5 for the year

Pimpbaa

Is there some device upgrade you get that allows you to shoot the explosive gel at a distance? There have been plenty of breakable walls I've seen that were high up with no ledge.

Baker

Banned
Crunched said:
How else can you fight those guys?

Nevermind, answered above. What's party pooper?
It's at the very very end of the game:

When you go to the party, beat the crap out of all the guys cheering you on.

I missed it so I had to look it up earlier, hehe.

Pimpbaa said:
Is there some device upgrade you get that allows you to shoot the explosive gel at a distance? There have been plenty of breakable walls I've seen that were high up with no ledge.
No but don't worry.

K2Valor said:
The one I just said don't worry about. :D I looooooove using it in combat.

Someone please tell me that this game starts to suck hard somewhere along the lines because right now it's just been unrealistically awesome and I fail to believe that the game keeps this level of quality and asskickery chugging until the last credit rolls, I mean fuck my asshole.

Zeliard

Ephemeris said:
Fighting is one thing. They're different, but nothing substantial.

Where it does differ greatly however, is the Predator mode. Mr. J has no grapple for one (never realized how dependant I was on the grapple till then :lol ). He has X-ray glasses but you can't move around in them, a 1-shot gun and a remote-controlled explosive...

Granted, I don't have all of bat's upgrades so I'm not sure if Joker's affected by this.

Revolutionary said:
- No bathook alternative
- the laughing gas (cape) stun has a wider AOE but takes longer to execute
- the ground takedowns take a MUCH longer time to do
- the batarang has been replaced with a one-shot gun that can take several guards out if they're lined up (and makes for a nice slow-mo finisher).
Aside from that, the rest is pretty much the same with Joker's quirks and attacks. His takedown animations are typically longer too but you're invulnerable during that time so who cares.

Joker throwing guards is a bit of a weird sight, though.

Also, shooting Gordon in the nuts is always fun.

edit: i forgot to mention the stealth portions. Yeah, totally different. Think the Predator (extreme) challenges.

This all sounds pretty fucking awesome. :lol

Certainly, no grapple alone seems like it would make for a huge difference. I'm also overly dependent on it. :p

K2Valor said:

So far triple batarang. Its great for taking out groups of armed guards.

The zipline was also surprisingly awesome. Its impressive the way you're able use it anywhere it would make sense to.

ant_

brandonh83 said:
Someone please tell me that this game starts to suck hard somewhere along the lines because right now it's just been unrealistically awesome and I fail to believe that the game keeps this level of quality and asskickery chugging until the last credit rolls, I mean fuck my asshole.
Prepare to be disappointed. It stays awesome the entire way through. :D

Oh and another reason the zipline is awesome:

When those two guys are standing across and electrified pool and are saying, " Hey Batman! You are trapped over there. Why are you so afraid? Afraid of a little water?! " And they just keep talking shit. I pull out my zipline and they say, " WHAT IS THAT THING?! " and then I zipline kick their faces. :lol :lol

Dave1988

K, need upgrading advice.

Just before the
first Scarecrow "fight"
and I already have all the combat upgrades and the inverted takedown. What should I start upgrading next?

ant_

Dave1988 said:
K, need upgrading advice.

Just before the
first Scarecrow "fight"
and I already have all the combat upgrades and the inverted takedown. What should I start upgrading next?
I'd say either health ( if you are ever having trouble in fights ) or multiple batarangs. It's always useful throwing more than one batarang at a time.

Baker

Banned
I beat the game and I never threw a triple batarang (last thing I upgraded) or a
sonic
one. It just really didn't fit my play style.

GQman2121

Banned
With all these deals everyone seems to have cashed in on, where are the people who have the Scarecrow Game Stop DLC?

The Batman and Joker challenge rooms are really enjoyable; its got me wondering about the Scarecrow. He owns pretty fucking hard in the game, so I'm assuming that his challenge rooms are also badass. Can anyone confirm?

GQman2121 said:
With all these deals everyone seems to have cashed in on, where are the people who have the Scarecrow Game Stop DLC?

The Batman and Joker challenge rooms are really enjoyable; its got me wondering about the Scarecrow. He owns pretty fucking hard in the game, so I'm assuming that his challenge rooms are also badass. Can anyone confirm?

Basically, it's a Survival Challenge. You're in a toxin-induced nightmare and Scarecrow sends wave after wave of skeletons at you. You have to destroy as many as possible without getting hit. As soon as you get hit, the challenge is over and your score is posted to the leaderboards.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Pimpbaa said:
You have to upgrade the Batclaw as well. Once you do that and the gel then it will open up for you.

Mind you I'm going on what i read from the guide so I hope that kinda explains the necessary steps to blow up the higher up areas.

ravien56 said:
Just got this game for $40 and apparently I have exclusive Walmart DLC for the batsuit armor?
Got a problem with that?!?!?!?!?!?

rhino4evr

so this one flew under the radar for me..mainly because I have NO faith in licensed games. (Blame the day I spent months allowance money to buy Total Recall on the NES, which may be one of the worst games ever).

So now I see sites compairing this to Bioshock? WOW. I will have to grab this. Is it possible to have two excellent licensed games in one year! (Ghostbusters being the other one). I hope this is a trend that continues.

Top Bottom