• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Zeliard

GQman2121 said:
Edit: I'll keep it in the superhero family and say X-men Origins: Wolverine. That was a rough looking game.

Now this I'll agree with. Batman: AA is vastly better-looking and more polished than Wolverine, running on the same engine.

It's also much better, but that's besides the point. :p Wolverine was a pretty decent game, but yeah, graphically it was ugly.

painey

how do you drop down silently again? The controls page doesnt say and I thought it was LT but that just throws batarangs. Im in the 5 armed 1st doctor room and getting my ass kicked because I cant get silent kills.

I feel i'm the only one who was disappointed by the
actual Scarecrow platforming sections. The first time it was really cool but I felt it was kind of a cop out to do the same thing on the second encounter even down to the reusing of the spotlight animations. Is there going to be a third encounter where I have to do more platforming or do I get to finally kick his scrawny arse?

painey said:
how do you drop down silently again? The controls page doesnt say and I thought it was LT but that just throws batarangs. Im in the 5 armed 1st doctor room and getting my ass kicked because I cant get silent kills.
Tap X(PS3) or A(360).

lemon__fresh said:
actual Scarecrow platforming sections. The first time it was really cool but I felt it was kind of a cop out to do the same thing on the second encounter even down to the reusing of the spotlight animations. Is there going to be a third encounter where I have to do more platforming or do I get to finally kick his scrawny arse?
Yes for your first question. I happen to like the sections, there's really no other way he'd dominate you.
I thought the second time was awesome, reliving the Wayne murders and you turning into an 8 year old Bruce

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
painey said:
Just tap A, you'll drop like a rock and then glide straight down the last few feet. Nice and quiet.

Baker

Banned
painey said:
Edit: Nevermind, what they said ^

Takao

Banned
Nevermind guys, I figured out that I was pretty much far from the trail :lol Really enjoying it so far, although I do wish the environments were a little more interactive.

Crewnh said:
Yes for your first question. I happen to like the sections, there's really no other way he'd dominate you.
I thought the second time was awesome, reliving the Wayne murders and you turning into an 8 year old Bruce

Don't get me wrong, I loved
the actual lead up and story elements to the scarecrow scenes (opening the body bags :D ) but as soon as I end up back in those same platform sections I feel it kinda pulls me out of it. Would have been nice if they could have thought up some other way for him to mess with you but as you said maybe there are limited options canonically.

I'm really just being nitpicky. The game is a masterpiece and everyone should play it.

lemon__fresh said:

Yes, yes, yes! I agree completely!

You are the only one.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Takao said:
I hate to ask this because I'm so early into the game, but I'm lost at a certain point.
I'm at the point where you're trying to follow the guy who kidnapped Gordon and are tracking him by the levels of alchool in the air outside of the holding cells. How do I go through the shielded corridor next to the cells? That's where the Detective Mode is leading me...

You are Batman, you find a way or turn on dectective mode and look for vents and air ducts to crawl through.

Zeliard

neojubei said:
You are Batman

This should be the stock response every time someone gets stuck in the game. :D

When I've found myself getting stuck it's because I wasn't looking around at my surroundings carefully enough - even something as simple as just looking straight up, which you don't often think to do in third-person games.

tim1138

Just finished the game, this will likely be my GOTY. Came nowhere close to doing all of the Riddler challenges so I'm definitely going to give those a go.

The story was fantastic, it really felt like I was playing out an episode of the animated series or a run in the comics. The combat, animation, voices, everything just felt right. I was not disappointed with the end either, seemed within character to me.

My favorite parts have to be
the third Scarecrow encounter and going through the Botanical Gardens the last time on the hunt for Ivy

Also I didn't have any issue with the amount of backtracking you do across the island--considering the setting and its size, some backtracking is inevitable.

I eagerly await the inevitable sequel in Gotham. :D

Baker

Banned
tim1138 said:
My favorite parts have to be
the third Scarecrow encounter

Also I didn't have any issue with the amount of backtracking you do across the island--considering the setting and its size, some backtracking is inevitable.
I wanted to call up the devs when I got to that spoiler and offer my sexual services to them. That was so goddamn awesome. I was screaming at my buddy on IM to get further in the game so I had someone to talk to about it.

I also loved the backtracking (and did more than I had to) since you have more gadgets and could get into previously inaccessible areas. That was half the fun for me.

Sanjuro

Can't wait to come home tonight and solve some more riddles and get into the challenges. Also I should add that the length of the game is pretty much the best amount of time spent in some time. I either have the problem of a game being too short or too tedious and long at the end.

lemon__fresh said:
Don't get me wrong, I loved
the actual lead up and story elements to the scarecrow scenes (opening the body bags :D ) but as soon as I end up back in those same platform sections I feel it kinda pulls me out of it. Would have been nice if they could have thought up some other way for him to mess with you but as you said maybe there are limited options canonically.

I'm really just being nitpicky. The game is a masterpiece and everyone should play it.
I suppose adding a little more variety would have made those sections better overall.

It just hit me, one of the best parts of the game to me is the fact that Batman's costume gets torn to shreds by the end. I was looking at him at the end, having tears on his chest and arms and legs, half his cape being gone...the battle damage is just so cool.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Also I should add that the length of the game is pretty much the best amount of time spent in some time. I either have the problem of a game being too short or too tedious and long at the end.

Yea, they really cut out the bs in this game, kinda like what infinity ward does with COD single player.

First thing which separates this game from other licensed crap is that the moment it starts, it feels like AAA game. Characters are well developed which makes big difference.

I'm out of asylum and so far haven't encountered longer loading time which is really nice.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
MirageDwarf said:
First thing which separates this game from other licensed crap is that the moment it starts, it feels like AAA game. Characters are well developed which makes big difference.

I'm out of asylum and so far haven't encountered longer loading time which is really nice.

That is a big plus for me, I hate waiting on load screens to finish.

Nozdeuce

I'm missing 1 pair of joker teeth in the medical facility, i've looked through every room except the boiler room... which i can't seem to get back into? Am I screwed?

tim1138

Baker said:
I wanted to call up the devs when I got to that spoiler and offer my sexual services to them. That was so goddamn awesome. I was screaming at my buddy on IM to get further in the game so I had someone to talk to about it.

I also loved the backtracking (and did more than I had to) since you have more gadgets and could get into previously inaccessible areas. That was half the fun for me.

I agree on the backtracking, it's definitely a blast to revisit earlier areas with new gadgets.

TheFallen

Nozdeuce said:
I'm missing 1 pair of joker teeth in the medical facility, i've looked through every room except the boiler room... which i can't seem to get back into? Am I screwed?
You'll be able to come back later.

Nozdeuce

TheFallen said:
You'll be able to come back later.
I am back later, I've beaten the game and have all the upgrades, hit me with some spoiler tagged instructions plz

Baker

Banned
tim1138 said:
I agree on the backtracking, it's definitely a blast to revisit earlier areas with new gadgets.
If you select Continue Game after beating it, can you just go out and screw around? There were a few places I didn't revisit and I only ended with 180/230 secrets.

It's not that big of a deal but there were a couple challenge maps and character trophies I didn't unlock.

Edit: Oh, I guess that post above just answered my question. Sweet.

Baker

Banned
Gryphter said:
Sorry I won't shut up about it, but did you guys play or Normal or Hard? anyone play on Normal and wish they did Hard, or vice-versa?
I usually play on Hard when I buy a game. However, since I was planning on playing this multiple times, I selected Normal for my first playthrough.

I am extremely happy I did. It helps you get the counter timing down and there were actually a couple parts where I thought "damn, glad I'm not on Hard right now!" :lol

Baker

Banned
bryehn said:
Just started and I'm impressed. How long is it, 8-10 hours?
I'd say 10-12 depending on how much you care about finding the riddles.

It's weird that it has stats on the start screen, but it doesn't have one for playtime.

painey

oh this game is really very good :D I get a very bioshock feeling when playing but its so nice to have actual human interaction which is all too rare in bioshock. Every room I advance I feel progression which is very odd for a game and the achievements are superbly done.

TheFallen

neojubei said:
Rocktsteady should try their hand at making a Superman game after the inevitable Batman sequel.
I think there's a big risk there. A lot of this game's elements that work so well (the combat, the exploration and stealth) just don't lend themselves to Superman mythos. Superman needs a larger scale game with tons of destruction. If Radical were given a lot of time, I think they'd be a good developer to work on a Superman game.

Zeliard

MirageDwarf said:

Yeah, the intro is great. Sets the scene and the atmosphere flawlessly. Doesn't hurt that you have two truly fantastic voice actors easing you in.

Baker said:
I'd say 10-12 depending on how much you care about finding the riddles.

It's weird that it has stats on the start screen, but it doesn't have one for playtime.

Does anyone know if the game shows your completion time at the end of the game?

Revolutionary said:
Regular Melee + Counter + Throw + Takedown + Ground Takedown + Jump over an enemy + Batarang + Cape + Batclaw in one combo = Perfect combo
That's the one I missed.
After completing the game is there any way to get back into Intensive Care? I really don't wanna start a new save and pick up 180 completed challenges all over again.

Nozdeuce

Jeff Stephen said:
That's the one I missed.
After completing the game is there any way to get back into Intensive Care? I really don't wanna start a new save and pick up 180 completed challenges all over again.
Yes there is, same way you get into later before the end

Raxus

I can say, almost as a fact, that you can backtrack and find 100% of the riddlers challenges. Some you can't even get the very end anyway.
As far as trophies/achievements you can miss in a playthrough:
Mano a Mano
Party Pooper
and a few others but you would have to try to NOT get them.

neojubei said:
Rocktsteady should try their hand at making a Superman game after the inevitable Batman sequel.
I'd love to see this and Assassin's Creed have a baby in the form of a AAA Daredevil game (and wipe the last remnants of Affleck as DD out of everyone's brains).

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Baker said:

Completely right. A dash of Metroid only makes me love this game even more. Just made it to the Mansion...

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I'm stuck. I'm playing on hard and right now ( just towards the very end of the game ) I am finally stuck because of the difficulty. Help:

I am in the small, octagonal room where the Titan comes out and you have to fight him. Meanwhile, guys keep pouring out. I can't take on both at once.

Baker

Banned
K2Valor said:
I'm stuck. I'm playing on hard and right now ( just towards the very end of the game ) I am finally stuck because of the difficulty. Help:

I am in the small, octagonal room where the Titan comes out and you have to fight him. Meanwhile, guys keep pouring out. I can't take on both at once.
Do whatever you can to stun the Titan first. Punch him a couple times and you can jump on his back and beat the living snot out of the grunts.

* I played on normal so maybe it doesn't work as nicely on Hard.

K2Valor said:

Yeah I got my ass handed to me there the first night of playing the game - that's the point that got me to think I've been playing the game for too long and needed rest. Sure enough, when I woke up and played it the next day, I got through it in 2 tries.

But, seeing as how it's noon...
Practice in the Challenge Rooms if anything. You don't have to pay too much mind to the Titan. When he roars, toss a quick batarang and dodge roll out of the way and continue your fighting of the goons. Then, when the Titan's health bar's is gone, go on him and enjoy the ride.

ant_

Baker said:
Do whatever you can to stun the Titan first. Punch him a couple times and you can jump on his back and beat the living snot out of the grunts.

* I played on normal so maybe it doesn't work as nicely on Hard.

I can get there. I punch the grunts with the Titan but that only stuns them, they just get back up. :(

Well, I'm pissed.

I pick up the game this weekend and decided to watch the latest Set Hill interview on Game Trailers. Low and behold, the interview
uses video of the battle with a giant, 20-story version of Scarecrow

Seriously? How does GT include that? To this point, I only knew the encounter
with the Scarerow is one of the best moments in the game
. They showed it!

I will actively avoid watching video of anticipated games from now on. Jesus.

ezekial45

Banned
Quick question; is the Joker DLC a permanent exclusive for PS3? I heard that the DC Universe online game has something to do with it as well.

ant_

ezekial45 said:
Quick question; is the Joker DLC a permanent exclusive for PS3? I heard that the DC Universe online game has something to do with it as well.
Yes

Top Bottom