• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Zeliard

TheSonicRetard said:
I love the way the cape and cowl look in this game. Which is good, since you spend a good amount of time looking at them. They look nice and thick and leathery.

It gives me serious Tim Burton batman 1 vibes, which is such a good thing. The actual Batman model is very different from any of the movies, though.

It's cool what they did, though. It's like they combined the best bits from every Batman show/movie/comic/etc that there's been over the years. Batman himself sort of looks like a hybrid of TAS Batman and Dark Knight Batman. Joker in the game also seems to have some Dark Knight influence with his messy makeup, sinister face and darker disposition (though both game and film could be influenced by the same comic sources). Batmobile reminded me of Burton's Batman.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
HOLY SHIT :lol :lol :lol ( end of game spoiler )

When you are going to the party and all those people are cheering you on, I put explosive gel down the hallway and detonated it all at once. All of them got knocked out immediately

I laughed so hard

Hell yes! First place in Silent Knight challenge room (batman). By one millisecond. :lol

These challenge rooms are so much fun. I am 9th in the sewer combat level and 24 in the second predator challenge room.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Really loving the game so far. Played the story for quite a while today, and then grinded the first challenge mode level until I was in top 10k on leaderboards :lol

I'm really loving the free flow combat system and the stealth takedowns. Most annoying things this far have been the
titans
and the guys with the shock batons. Fuck dem.

Tonza

I've only played a little over an hour but I can say that this is one of my favorite games this year. And that's saying alot since this year's seen some of my alltime favorite games.

I still feel stupid for not getting what the riddle about
puzzle that's not all visible
or something like that.

Im already waiting for what Rocksteady comes up with next.

The third Scarecrow encounter he me tripping. Seriously.
I thought my PS3 had died and was confused and angry. I love when games break the fourth wall like that.

JRW

K2Valor said:

When you are going to the party and all those people are cheering you on, I put explosive gel down the hallway and detonated it all at once. All of them got knocked out immediately

I laughed so hard

Does that
unlock the Party Pooper achievement?

Red

K2Valor said:

I laughed so hard
Same here, easily takes out 4-5 of them on hard :lol

Just finished the game. Didn't think the end was a letdown like I'd heard. Maybe because I love the combat so much.

It was so great. Finished with 201/240 Riddler challenges solved, so I'll hop back in the grab the rest. Then on to the challenges.

Easily my favorite retail game this year. It's been a great month, with this and Shadow Complex.

JRW

Jeff Stephen said:
So after 3 days of playing I just discovered the ledge takedown. :lol

I finished the game without ever knowing about this lol.. I learned about it when playing the Challenge mode where it tells you how to do it, I also didn't know you could pull enemies off of ledges with the batclaw.

Tonza said:
I've only played a little over an hour but I can say that this is one of my favorite games this year. And that's saying alot since this year's seen some of my alltime favorite games.

I still feel stupid for not getting what the riddle about
puzzle that's not all visible
or something like that.

Im already waiting for what Rocksteady comes up with next.
LOL

lostxii

Phaethon0017 said:
The third Scarecrow encounter he me tripping. Seriously.
I thought my PS3 had died and was confused and angry. I love when games break the fourth wall like that.

Agreed.
The whole scene was great, but the game "crashing" at the beginning was brilliant. I wasn't sure what was going on until the intro starts and the bat signal wasn't quite right. breaking fourth wall again when Joker shoots you was also pretty cool.

nomster

JRW said:
I finished the game without ever knowing about this lol.. I learned about it when playing the Challenge mode where it tells you how to do it, I also didn't know you could pull enemies off of ledges with the batclaw.

I just did it to
one of the thugs who was talking shit to me about how they electrified the water between them and me
. So awesome.

Zeliard

I like the fact that they don't mess around with the difficulties in this game. In a lot of others, hard is basically an incremental step up from normal difficulty. In this one, it's a huge leap. Enemies do way more damage and are far more aggressive as well.

25%. 5 hours in. The game is absolutely fantastic.

The only thing I don't like are that I think the graphics could be a bit better (playing on PS3 1080) and some of the dialogue is corny as fuck (it is a comic book after all though). GOTY? Maybe; it's no Metroid Prime though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I kept trying the combat challenges and for whatever reason, the combo seems to break everytime I threw a batarang. How are you supposed to use it without breaking it, after a cape stun or something?

haldalish said:
Shouldn't have listened to gaf, and played this game on hard. I don't feel very batman like flying in and getting my ass kicked everytime. :(

trust me, you'll get better at it.. the first set of goons kicked my ass i laughed. but finishing them off is so much satisfying.

ant_

Anyone have any tips for the hunt for teeth? I have two left I need to find in Arkham West and I am beginning to be hopeless. :(

EDIT -- Found them!

MiamiWesker said:
Hell yes! First place in Silent Knight challenge room (batman). By one millisecond. :lol

These challenge rooms are so much fun. I am 9th in the sewer combat level and 24 in the second predator challenge room.
I had the #1 spot in a lot of the brawler challenges prior to release (not too good at sneaking fast - I like to take my time). Checked yesterday and I lost all but 2 of them. :lol

Still up there, though.

Downhome

By the way, the big
Titan fight right before you go off to find Ivy
is the perfect time to go for the 20, 40, etc... combos.

K2Valor said:

I laughed so hard

I just came to post that I did the exact same thing. Also, use the
... name escapes me, but the line rope thing that lets you slide from point A to B, you can clothesline an entire row of them
:lol

But yeah I just beat it and wow, I'd be shocked if it didn't make my top 3 of the year. It's just that good. It's also one of those games where the pacing is incredible and there's not one section that I dread on replays. Even some of my favorite games like God of War (the spike towers in hell) have at least one or two horrendous sections that makes you not want to bother with a replay. This game, however, for me at least had none of those.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Okay, I just played the demo. I can definitely see why people compared this to the Yakuza fight engine. :D

Awesome stuff.

Ephemeris

MiamiWesker said:

Revolutionary said:
I had the #1 spot in a lot of the brawler challenges prior to release (not too good at sneaking fast - I like to take my time). Checked yesterday and I lost all but 2 of them. :lol

Still up there, though.
Damn! Highest I've been is like 16th on one of those predator challenges.:lol

question to anyone who has beaten it. I'm at the part where
Poison Ivy got injected with the titan strain and I have to go back to Intensive care

how much longer do I have? I'm getting the feeling it's around little over half way.

ant_

fistfulofmetal said:
question to anyone who has beaten it. I'm at the part where
Poison Ivy got injected with the titan strain and I have to go back to Intensive care

how much longer do I have? I'm getting the feeling it's around little over half way.
I would say 3/4.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I know I'm getting pretty close to the end
Just took out Poison Ivy and Joker's unleashed the Fireworks

Seriously, this is one of the better games I've played in a few years. Found this to be immensely enjoyable.

It's gonna be so much fun tearing this game apart and discussing all the narrative strategies it employs. This game is going to join Bioshock as one of the most studied games by the whole "games are surriuz bidness" crowd.

It really seems like the developers of this game studied what worked for a lot of other games very carefully.

Ephemeris said:
Damn! Highest I've been is like 16th on one of those predator challenges.:lol

So glad I have you on my friend list, only guy that is giving me a challenge.

I'm not #1 anymore, some dude beat down my time by 4 seconds.

comrade

JRW said:
Wait till you get it upgraded. Yanking 3 goons over a ledge into the abyss just Feels Good Man.

Got home from work and started playing some of the challenge modes. I felt like bashing some villians' faces in so I was just doing those challenges. Great place to hone your ass busting skills. I was worried then when I get to finishing the game, I might not have anything else to do but it looks like the challenge rooms will occupy my time. This game is now officially in my top 5 for the year. I can't stop thinking how awesome this game is. I wonder if it is that much better for me because I had lower expectations for this game that ended up getting blown out of the water... I almost want to tell everyone I see "Hey, go buy BAA right now! It will r0x0r j00r b0x0rz" :D
On a side note, what do you think any DLC will be? I am almost positive there will be new challenge room DLC but I am curious to see if there will be anything else.

Montresor

Anyone else get a Zelda vibe off this game? Big adventure game with many large environments to explore (whether they be mansions, gardens, etc...), gadgets, upgradable armour, action game play, and the tons and tons of side quests provided by Riddler's challenges.

I fucking love this game.

Top Bottom