• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Raxus

Before you do any free flow challenges be sure to earn freeflow perfection since you need all those moves to do well in 80% of the challenges.

Just got 1000/1000 today. Had to go through the game ALL over again to get Mano a Mano.

Raxus

BattleMonkey said:
So how long is this without stretching the truth or pr speak? Hate to buy it if it's too short, but want to play it.
First playthrough casually 6-10 hours playtime. Complete all the challenges, play on hard, and collect all the riddles and the game is an easy 20-25 hour game.

Plissken

I just got to the point that
Ivy's plants are sprouting up all over
, haven't had this much fun with a game for a long time, going to be up there in the top 3 for GOTY contender for me.

As for DLC, I would imagine the easiest thing would be more Challenges and some new costumes for Bats. I would love to see Wayne Manor area though, sort of like the Croft Manor stuff in the Tomb Raider games.

Raxus

As far as challenges go I would really dig some boss challenges for DLC. I'd pay for that.

It sucks you can't play through the game with all your power ups. It would be so much more fun.

d0c_zaius

I liked it a lot until the last 3rd of the game, especially the final boss fight and repetitions with certain encounters/backtracking.

Raxus said:
Before you do any free flow challenges be sure to earn freeflow perfection since you need all those moves to do well in 80% of the challenges.

Just got 1000/1000 today. Had to go through the game ALL over again to get Mano a Mano.
You could've just fought
a Titan
in the final Extreme Brawler challenge, ya know.

Raxus

Revolutionary said:
You could've just fought
a Titan
in the final Extreme Brawler challenge, ya know.
I know but I would have to go through 3 rounds with extreme enemies and then have to take on 2 thugs with 7-8 enemies attacking me from all sides, not easy.

Plus it didn't hurt I kind of wanted to speed run through the game my second time through.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Raxus said:

I think I have everything for freeflow perfection, but I'm having an issue actually doing it. Everytime I throw a quick batarang the combo just breaks, when am I supposed to use that?

Edit: Er, I just realized I still haven't gotten the stun upgrade for it yet. I'm guessing that is probably important. :lol

Kard8p3

So I ended up getting this today and I played it for a few hours. All I can say at this point is wow. I'm up to the point where
I'm looking for Dr. Young in the mansion
and everything has felt absolutely like batman so far. My favorite part so far has been
the Scarecrow section. I didn't even realize I was hallucinating till I noticed Batman's glowing eyes.
My only hope at this point is that there's more of this particular villain.

Kard8p3 said:
So I ended up getting this today and I played it for a few hours. All I can say at this point is wow. I'm up to the point where
I'm looking for Dr. Young in the mansion
and everything has felt absolutely like batman so far. My favorite part so far has been
the Scarecrow section. I didn't even realize I was hallucinating till I noticed Batman's glowing eyes.
My only hope at this point is that there's more of this particular villain.

It gets freakier down the line, let's keep it at that.

mattso

I just beat this game tonight with 100% of the riddles solved. Such an amazing experience. Still need to go through the challenges and the game on hard and looking forward to going through it again.

As a lifelong batman fan there were so many moments in this game that just left me with a huge smirk on my face.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I don't get the complaints about the last third. Bioshock, did become a drag near the end and I kind of just sped through it. However, Arkham Asylum never hits any low. The backtracking and fights never got on my nerves. Yes, the final boss is a dissapointment but it's the only bad point to the game and even there, the sheer atmosphere was amazing. So I can forgive the sloppy battle.

Red

Any tips on getting a 40x combo or freeflow perfection? I'm not getting hit and not missing, but I never seem to have enough time to chain things together long enough to get a good chain going. All those thugs keep falling down faster than I can hit them :lol

Papercuts said:
I think I have everything for freeflow perfection, but I'm having an issue actually doing it. Everytime I throw a quick batarang the combo just breaks, when am I supposed to use that?

Edit: Er, I just realized I still haven't gotten the stun upgrade for it yet. I'm guessing that is probably important. :lol
The Combo Batarang upgrade is what you need for it to count as a combo hit.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Crunched said:
Any tips on getting a 40x combo or freeflow perfection? I'm not getting hit and not missing, but I never seem to have enough time to chain things together long enough to get a good chain going. All those thugs keep falling down faster than I can hit them :lol

40X combo is easy.
Joker's party has like 25 guys in a small corridor. I don't even think it's possible to miss it.

Papercuts

Crunched said:

The easiest way seems to be abuse the evade move so you jump over enemies, it keeps the combo and they never seem to hit you. I just tried doing nothing but that on the last wave of the first combat challenge room and ended with exactly 39. :lol

So it doesn't seem to work there, but if you find a huge group just try doing that and working around the crowd.

Revolutionary said:
The Combo Batarang upgrade is what you need for it to count as a combo hit.

Yeah, I've been neglecting the upgrades for the Batarang, looks like that's the one upgrade I still don't even have unlocked.

Red

Papercuts said:
The easiest way seems to be abuse the evade move so you jump over enemies, it keeps the combo and they never seem to hit you. I just tried doing nothing but that on the last wave of the first combat challenge room and ended with exactly 39. :lol

So it doesn't seem to work there, but if you find a huge group just try doing that and working around the crowd.
Eh, I keep trying that but after two rolls I lose the combo. It seems like you have a 1-2 second window to land a hit, which makes it tough to string together ground takedowns since you need some time to find a clear area. I keep randomly losing it after using the batclaw, too, which is a little frustrating. Right now I'm focusing on freeflow perfection, as it seems like the tougher of the two. The guys you're fighting are so damn frail though, they die (get knocked out I guess?) so quick it makes getting a high combo so difficult.

TheCardPlayer: I took out those guys with explosive gel.

Gonna stop for now and try again in the morning. I hit 8 out of the 9 freeflow perfection moves so many times, but I never reach the full 9. I'll give it a break for now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
where do I go after joker
gives ivy the titan shot?
the door to her room is blocked now and I can't proceed back outside.

Papercuts

Crunched said:
Eh, I keep trying that but after two rolls I lose the combo. It seems like you have a 1-2 second window to land a hit, which makes it tough to string together ground takedowns since you need some time to find a clear area. I keep randomly losing it after using the batclaw, too, which is a little frustrating. Right now I'm focusing on freeflow perfection, as it seems like the tougher of the two. The guys you're fighting are so damn frail though, they die (get knocked out I guess?) so quick it makes getting a high combo so difficult.

TheCardPlayer: I took out those guys with explosive gel.

Gonna stop for now and try again in the morning. I hit 8 out of the 9 freeflow perfection moves so many times, but I never reach the full 9. I'll give it a break for now.

I wouldn't really go for freeflow perfection at the same time, I meant literally just evading then doing a basic attack, rolling again, another attack. Don't attack the one you roll over, just hold the stick toward someone else. Literally JUST got a 49 combo doing that on hard against 10 guys, haha.

Red

Papercuts said:
I wouldn't really go for freeflow perfection at the same time, I meant literally just evading then doing a basic attack, rolling again, another attack. Don't attack the one you roll over, just hold the stick toward someone else. Literally JUST got a 49 combo doing that on hard against 10 guys, haha.
Yeah, I've been trying it in the first couple battle challenges. I guess the guys are too weak to keep a decent string up (keep getting around 10,000-11,000 points). Wish I knew how the top few people got 50,000+.

EzLink

Banned
lostxii said:
You unlock an armored suit batman after beating the game.

Yeah I know, but I shouldn't have to choose between Batman and armored Batman when I'm checking downloadable content. That's a completely different section on the menu than the challenge map section. I'm not playing as either when I'm seeing what DLC is available :p

Raxus

Crunched said:
As mentioned before you can do the
20 thugs at the VERY end
or you can do some of the combat challenges, when it gets down to it it is all about abuse. Punch, counter, evade and when you can use it do the throw combo. Rinse, wash, repeat until you hit 40. Helps if you play on the normal or hard difficulties since thugs take longer to go down.

Papercuts, I can't believe you haven't upgraded your batarangs. As soon as I started upgrading mine I felt so bad for not doing it sooner. I prefer it over the stun move and it works great for disarming the enemies. Needless to say on my second play through I upgraded my combo batarang as my first upgrade.

Raxus

EzLink said:
Yeah I know, but I shouldn't have to choose between Batman and armored Batman when I'm checking downloadable content. That's a completely different section on the menu than the challenge map section. I'm not playing as either when I'm seeing what DLC is available :p
That is where you go to play DLC maps to like Dem Bones.

Flangus

Neo Member
Not only was the last third of the game on par with the rest of the game (at least to a greater extent than Bioshock's was), but the final battle wasn't a disappointment. Just don't go in expecting something incredibly inventive and you'll enjoy it.

comrade

NIGHT- said:
How are the Joker challenge maps?

btw Amazon is selling the PS3 version for 52 bucks along with a 10 dollar gift card
I've replayed the first one about 10 times in a row. I really like Jokers moves. Being able to blast a guy with your gun mid-combo is great.

Flangus

Neo Member
Christopher said:
god are the scarecrows parts awesome or what? Man if they ever do a sequel where could they theme it next? The streets of Gotham?
I don't know how they'd keep up the level of detail if they made it in Gotham and did free roam. And if they wanted to do it in Gotham, I don't know how they would be able to wall off the city to avoid free roam in a way that wouldn't feel contrived... Rocksteady has a challenge on its hands.

Flangus said:
I don't know how they'd keep up the level of detail if they made it in Gotham and did free roam. And if they wanted to do it in Gotham, I don't know how they would be able to wall off the city to avoid free roam in a way that wouldn't feel contrived... Rocksteady has a challenge on its hands.

Dude, No Man's Land. It could work. Certain sections of the city would obviously be destroyed...but it could totally work and give a similar vibe with Arkham Asylum. This time the criminals and supervillains would be free on the streets of Gotham.

Papercuts

Raxus said:
As mentioned before you can do the
20 thugs at the VERY end
or you can do some of the combat challenges, when it gets down to it it is all about abuse. Punch, counter, evade and when you can use it do the throw combo. Rinse, wash, repeat until you hit 40. Helps if you play on the normal or hard difficulties since thugs take longer to go down.

Papercuts, I can't believe you haven't upgraded your batarangs. As soon as I started upgrading mine I felt so bad for not doing it sooner. I prefer it over the stun move and it works great for disarming the enemies. Needless to say on my second play through I upgraded my combo batarang as my first upgrade.

:(

I guess it's because I was on hard, I thought about it for a bit but did the health upgrade first. Then by the time I got to pick more stuff, I thought 2 batarangs would be better over the stun(dunno why), then I was going to get stun but unlocked explosive gel, which took priority...then I kept forgetting. So basically here I am nearing the end game with everything beefed out, while on the batarang side I still only have the duo and remote controlled ones. :lol

Baker

Banned
So how do the leaderboards for the stealth challenge maps work? They seem to only be based on time, so that makes me question a couple things...

1) Does it factor in batarang rating at all?

2) Does it factor in going undectected?

It doesn't seem to, so can't you use the super armor and pretty much run through the shit without worrying about anything? I know if three dudes start shooting and you don't run away, you're screwed, but still.

I dunno, it just sounds easy to cheese to me, unless I'm missing something.

Papercuts

Baker said:
So how do the leaderboards for the stealth challenge maps work? They seem to only be based on time, so that makes me question a couple things...

1) Does it factor in batarang rating at all?

2) Does it factor in going undectected?

It doesn't seem to, so can't you use the super armor and pretty much run through the shit without worrying about anything? I know if three dudes start shooting and you don't run away, you're screwed, but still.

I dunno, it just sounds easy to cheese to me, unless I'm missing something.

It seems to go by the 3 batarangs, purely by time. I did the first one REALLY fast undetected and got 2:30 or so, the top guy IIRC is around 30 seconds, I can't imagine it being possible without blowing your cover, which sucks.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
239 riddles solved.
My final riddle is kill 20 of joker's teeth.
I have 19/20
I NEED TO FIND ONE FUCKING CHOMPING TEETH THING IN THE WHOLE MEDICAL FACILITY.

shoot me

Zzoram

I'm done half or more of the Botanical Gardens and it says I'm at 40% completion. I haven't done any of the challenges. Do you know how much % is attributed to challenges?

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
K2Valor said:
239 riddles solved.
My final riddle is kill 20 of joker's teeth.
I have 19/20
I NEED TO FIND ONE FUCKING CHOMPING TEETH THING IN THE WHOLE MEDICAL FACILITY.

shoot me
I had that same problem this morning my last one was
in the patient observation room on top of the little room the guys were hiding in
Happy hunting :lol

Top Bottom