• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Dave1988 said:
That's the long way to do it. It's easier to let those numbskulls hit/ram each other and do a combo while one's stunned.
Well that only works if there's two of them.

I'd think most people would try the mano-a-mano on just one.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
BTW...that little chime noise that plays just before Joker is about to talk over the PA system would make a great 'new txt message' sound for cellphones. :lol

Yeah, by the halfway point in the game, that became a classic sound effect. Thought it was a neat detail at the changes it went through. Sometimes, it would come out as normal, others it was extremely distorted.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
zoukka said:
Dunno about the final product but the demo was kind of bad.

The game is awesome. That's all there is to it. If you like Batman on any level, at all, you have to get this. Keep in mind that even without the license this would be AAA stuff.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Hey...im stuck at work so i cant see it, but supposedly the US PSN update is live and it has a Batman theme. Someone grab it, and post details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RavenFox

Banned
dark10x said:
Can anyone confirm Phys-X on PS3? I can't recall seeing anything like that in the 360 version. :\ I wasn't really looking, of course, but it was pretty obvious in the PC demo with Phys-X enabled.

AstroLad said:

Uhmm your wrong. They both have Phys-X logos on the back of each respected box. Also you do see the Phys-X stuff in game. I posted on this a page back.
http://www.giantbomb.com/batman-arkham-asylum/61-23245/box-art/52-113256/batmanaa/51-1118116/

Just a note I have the PS3 version and I can confirm there are some Phys-X stuff going on that wasn't in the demo.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Hey...im stuck at work so i cant see it, but supposedly the US PSN update is live and it has a Batman theme. Someone grab it, and post details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looks alright - it's pretty much the boxart but Batman's to the left and there's an obviously wider vista of the city.
The sounds are annoying though - reverting back to Original.

zoukka said:
Hmm I'll have to try it then, but the demos cutscenes were pretty loltastic, the controls/gameplay simple as hell and the enviroments were dead. Ok visuals and sound though.
The demo's on easy, guy.

zoukka

bob_arctor said:
The game is awesome. That's all there is to it. If you like Batman on any level, at all, you have to get this. Keep in mind that even without the license this would be AAA stuff.

Hmm I'll have to try it then, but the demos cutscenes were pretty loltastic, the controls/gameplay simple as hell and the enviroments were dead. Ok visuals and sound though.

RavenFox said:
Uhmm your wrong. They both have Phys-X logos on the back of each respected box. Also you do see the Phys-X stuff in game. I posted on this a page back.
http://www.giantbomb.com/batman-arkham-asylum/61-23245/box-art/52-113256/batmanaa/51-1118116/

Just a note I have the PS3 version and I can confirm there are some Phys-X stuff going on that wasn't in the demo.

As with other physics/game engines (Havok) you can generally choose which graphical meshes etc you want your physics engine to model. I'd assume that in the consoles they left more of their graphical assets static or reduced the geometric complexity of their meshes in relation to the physics simulation than in the PC. Even though both take advantage of the Phys-X API.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I just got the game and played for about 2 hours yesterday (it was late) and I'm about 16% done with the game and it is AWESOME!

There's not a moment where I'm bored, the gameplay is switched up every second making the pacing extremely good, and...

Did anyone else get extremely freaked out by the Scarecrow stuff? Particularly the first time you enter the Morgue with the body bags moving in and out of their containers yelling at you to leave - when you do actually leave, you find yourself in the morgue again, only this time there are body bags you can now examine...Although I didn't expect the last body bag to be the Scarecrow, I thought it'd be Batman himself or something like that but the Scarecrow was a nice surprise for the actual "boss battle" that ensues. It was the first moment in gaming history that had a nightmare like sequence where I felt like *I* was in the nightmare and not Batman.

DKehoe

Saw something weird and still haven't figured what it was about
after I rescued the Warden I saw him again behind a wall and could talk to him he claimed the other one was an imposter. I walked away then when I turned back the guy behind the wall was now commissioner gordon who when I talked to just laughed. WTF?

Shrinnan said:
Did anyone else get extremely freaked out by the Scarecrow stuff? Particularly the first time you enter the Morgue with the body bags moving in and out of their containers yelling at you to leave - when you do actually leave, you find yourself in the morgue again, only this time there are body bags you can now examine...Although I didn't expect the last body bag to be the Scarecrow, I thought it'd be Batman himself or something like that but the Scarecrow was a nice surprise for the actual "boss battle" that ensues. It was the first moment in gaming history that had a nightmare like sequence where I felt like *I* was in the nightmare and not Batman.

At first I was then I realized I was fuckin Batman and proceeded to kick ass.

Chrange

Banned
DKehoe said:
after I rescued the Warden I saw him again behind a wall and could talk to him he claimed the other one was an imposter. I walked away then when I turned back the guy behind the wall was now commissioner gordon who when I talked to just laughed. WTF?

Scan him and you'll see he doesn't have a skeleton. It's Clayface.

DKehoe said:

If you really wanna know:

It was Clayface

DKehoe said:

It's actually Clayface. Scan it for the solution to one of the riddles.

desertdroog said:
Today's Penny-Arcade.com has a comic relating to this wonderful game.

Sooo good...

13yo2s6.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

ultim8p00

Banned
Am I the only one who turns on the game and doesn't even do anything but sit there and listen to Joker talk? Damn this game is perfect.

zoukka said:
Did I tarnish your childhood fantasies or something? I told clearly I only tried the demo.

Well aside from your difficulty issue, you stated that the graphics were "dead" or "ok" and that the cutscenes were "loltastic"

When even though the demo isn't a final representative of the full game, it definetly gave a good look at what to expect. So If you had so many issues with the demo, not sure the harder difficulty and better graphics would make it a better experience for you.

Zzoram

Volcynika said:
No newgame+ exists.

Boo.

If I get all 240 Riddler things during my Normal playthrough, I can ignore them on Hard right?

However, will ignoring them mean I won't level up enough to be able to handle the difficulty of Hard?

Dude Abides

Banned
Shrinnan said:

I was shocked that all of a sudden I was playing God of War.

Raxus

Zzoram said:
Boo.

If I get all 240 Riddler things during my Normal playthrough, I can ignore them on Hard right?

However, will ignoring them mean I won't level up enough to be able to handle the difficulty of Hard?
You can level pretty well if you know what you are doing in a fight but you do still need to get some of the riddler trophies initially to upgrade your combos and batarang.

zoukka

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well aside from your difficulty issue, you stated that the graphics were "dead" or "ok" and that the cutscenes were "loltastic"

When even though the demo isn't a final representative of the full game, it definetly gave a good look at what to expect. So If you had so many issues with the demo, not sure the harder difficulty and better graphics would make it a better experience for you.

By "dead" I meant than enviroments had little interactivity. Otherwise they are the highpoint in the games visuals. The characters look like they all had taken some "bald space marine" shots lately.

And you are absolutely correct. I did not like the demo and thus won't be probably purchasing the game. Demos are awesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
zoukka said:
By "dead" I meant than enviroments had little interactivity. Otherwise they are the highpoint in the games visuals. The characters look like they all had taken some "bald space marine" shots lately.
Sounds like you need some physx in your life.

zoukka said:
And you are absolutely correct. I did not like the demo and thus won't be probably purchasing the game. Demos are awesome.

Just rent it or borrow it from a friend then. I think every gamer needs to try this game out at least. Demo or not. You might find yourself surprised by the retail version.

RavenFox

Banned
lemon__fresh said:
As with other physics/game engines (Havok) you can generally choose which graphical meshes etc you want your physics engine to model. I'd assume that in the consoles they left more of their graphical assets static or reduced the geometric complexity of their meshes in relation to the physics simulation than in the PC. Even though both take advantage of the Phys-X API.
I can say after playing both the PC and console versions the papers on the floor move very similar. Not sure about anything else since the PC version isnt out yet.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
Dead Space says yo.

For real...the Dead Space demo was beyond horrible and i swore i would never buy the final game. After hearing all the praise here, i grabbed the full game and loved every second! In fact, it was the 3rd game i ever Platinum'd.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
:lol :lol oh god PA comic:lol

painey

I love the game but really don't like the scarecrow bits. 1 I can tolerate but the same thing 3 times over is just dull as hell to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I thought the final game was much more than the demo suggested. This game is constantly mixing things up and always feels fresh as a result. The demo was decent, but the final game might become one of my favorites of the year. A huge surprise for me.

It's a sum of many great things...

Metroid + Metal Gear + Riddick + Bioshock + Batman mixed with its own unique spices = Arkham Asylum

It's a perfect balance of the things I love in my games. Truly a masterpiece. Who would have thought a developer like this could deliver such a good game?

Majora

zoukka said:

I'm not a Batman fan at all and thought the demo was average. The full game is sooooo much better than the demo. Even the opening is much better. It's a serious GOTY contender in my opinion. There's a lot of variety and it reminds me of the first time I played RE4 and there was something cool around every corner.

Top Bottom