• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Xater said:
So if this becomdes a success what will they do for a sequel? Arkham Asyum 2 would be pretty dumb.

Batman: Gotham City

Isn't it obvious!

or maybe like Batman:Evil Unleashed since now plenty of villians presumably on the loose.

Who knows but whatever it is, I'll be right there, day 1! Though even though the game is amazing, I bet if they make a sequel in the same caliber, people will say its not different enough or as good as they first. Happens all the time usually.

Xater

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Batman: Gotham City

Isn't it obvious!

or maybe like Batman:Evil Unleashed since now plenty of villians are on the loose.

Who knows but whatever it is, I'll be right there, day 1! Though even though the game is amazing, I bet if they make a sequel in the same caliber, people will say its not different enough or as good as they first. Happens all the time usually.

Well it might be obvious, but I don't know if a complete open world will deliver the same experience.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Xater said:
So if this becomdes a success what will they do for a sequel? Arkham Asyum 2 would be pretty dumb.
That's the beauty of the situation.

Batman is a series with a rich history. The type of game they designed here could work just about anywhere within the world of Batman. They certainly don't need to limit themselves to Arkham...

Well it might be obvious, but I don't know if a complete open world will deliver the same experience.
It doesn't need to be open world. You can do Gotham without turning it into an NPC mission dispenser type of game. They could actually create a fairly open ended Gotham to explore, but progression similar to Arkham would allow it to work just fine.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Xater said:
Just have a hub world ( the batcave ) and then you could go to different locations via the Batwing or Batmobile ( you wouldn't actually drive ). It's not THAT hard.

Zzoram

Xater said:

It won't, which is why I don't think it's a good idea. Every super hero game does open world, and they all fail gloriously.

The hub world nature of Arkham is why this game is great. It gives the illusion of freedom but really each building is just a large "level".

I don't know how they can follow up after this, but it will have pretty high standards to beat.

Xater said:

Well I dont think a complete open world type game would work unless it was done extremely, extremly well. Though if you just use his vehicles to get to different areas that were big in size, that could work. Sorta like how Metroid Prime 3 let you travel to different planets.

stuminus3

Yeah, I really don't want a complete open world Batman. There's something to be said about a confined, focused "world" that offers freedom without losing focus on the quality and intensity immediate environment. Too many GTA games these days, not enough Metroids.

I doubt they'd go that route anyway; Arkham Asylum was apparently chosen as a location for this exact reason. A really freaking good one, too.

Zzoram

K2Valor said:
Just have a hub world ( the batcave ) and then you could go to different locations via the Batwing or Batmobile ( you wouldn't actually drive ). It's not THAT hard.

If they do an open city like the Spiderman/etc games, they'll have to make Batman's character model a lot smaller.

Batman: Gotham Knight could be a great title.

But honestly...who cares? Just give Dini and Rocksteady the reins again and we'll be juuuuuust fine.

DieH@rd

Banned
They should release DLC, prequel story with Batman capturing Jocker in City Hall. They mentioned it at the beginning of the demo.

DieH@rd said:
They should release DLC, prequel story with Batman capturing Jocker in City Hall. They mentioned it at the beginning of the demo.

It would be too easy, Batman says that as well... lol j/k but that is a great idea.

zoukka

Majora said:
I'm not a Batman fan at all and thought the demo was average. The full game is sooooo much better than the demo. Even the opening is much better. It's a serious GOTY contender in my opinion. There's a lot of variety and it reminds me of the first time I played RE4 and there was something cool around every corner.

I'll have to try to get my hands around it then some day at least.

Xater

Hmmm if we ignore the whole open world idea maybe they can create a new place. One that has the same properties as Arkham. Maybe some big castle complex where R'as al Ghul is hiding out.

In the sequel, I'd really love to see Rocksteady delve further into the depths of just who Batman really is.

For example...did you know that the Batman fucking hates chocolate?

Batmanhateschocolate.jpg

I've wanted this game since the day it was announced, and prayed it would deliver. All and any worries were unfounded. This one goes above and beyond. Add me to the chorus: best game I've played all year.

wouwie

Never been in such doubt about buying a game. Ordered it from Amazon but cancelled it the day after. Was in a shop today with a copy in my hand but didn't buy it in the end. But after all the positive opinions on here, i finally went ahead and ordered it on Amazon just now.

The demo didn't do much for me (neither bad nor good) so i hope i'm going to find some enjoyment out of the final game.

Xater

I'd also like to see no repeated villains. Wel maybe the Joker because he is awesome. But Mr. Freeze and Deathstroke would be kinda awesome.

Brashnir

Xater said:
I'd also like to see no repeated villains. Wel maybe the Joker because he is awesome. But Mr. Freeze and Deathstroke would be kinda awesome.

If there's one thing Batman's got, it's plenty of villains to choose from.

I swear Batman has more quality villains than the entire Marvel Universe combined.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Save Robin from the crowbar by using the middle stick.

Nice A Death In The Family reference there.

EDIT: Oh, and fuck Jason Todd. I remember calling that vote line multiple times to help seal that little bitch's fate. :lol

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Xater said:
After reading all the character bios, I would love Prometheus as a villian. And it would be cool if Calendar Man was a villian and if you set your clock to certain holidays, he did certain things. :D

Xater

Brashnir said:

I swear Batman has more quality villains than the entire Marvel Universe combined.

That's true. Clayface could also make one awesome villain. Maybe you could even build some detective stuff around him. Finding out who the fake and the real guys is for example.

Red

K2Valor said:
After reading all the character bios, I would love Prometheus as a villian. And it would be cool if Calendar Man was a villian and if you set your clock to certain holidays, he did certain things. :D
Prometheus by far for me.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Brashnir said:

I'd have to agree, however Spider-man has had his share of good villians. If a batman sequel were to happen, i hope they do not put the joker in it, he is great but i think the riddler or maybe even Mr. Freeze could be an excellent main villian.

Xater

neojubei said:
I'd have to agree, however Spider-man has had his share of good villians. If a batman sequel were to happen, i hope they do not put the joker in it, he is great but i think the riddler or maybe even Mr. Freeze could be an excellent main villian.

Main villain = Two Face. :D

Xater said:
Main villain = Two Face. :D

While the size of Batman's Rogues Gallery is immense, the lead villain is going to have to be one that's instantly recognizable to those outside of his comic fandom.

You're likely right that it will be Two Face. Harvey, Riddler or the Penguin would be the best guesses right now, I would think.

SolidEyeSystem said:
I'm trying not to think about a potential sequel since it's a long way off...

With the quality of this title, and being a tremendous fan of the Bat...it's hard not to think about it. And two years (which is likely what we're looking at) is not that far off.

As amped as I was for a Mass Effect and Bioshock sequel, I have to say I'm anticipating Rocksteady's follow-up even more. Certainly much more than another fucking Halo title, or Guitar Hero 9 or whatever the fuck else we're looking at in the coming two years.

Cool game, but it seems like the gameplay is too automatic. Like to get out of a room or onto a high structure, all you have to do is press R and Batman will shoot his grappling hook at some random thing on the ceiling or wall, requiring no perception, accuracy or dexterity on my part. Then press R to get to the next thing, whether you know where it is or not. The fighting so far is just tappy tappy win win, too. Still a fun game, presentation and atmosphere carry it.

Zeliard

revolverjgw said:
Cool game, but it seems like the gameplay is too automatic. Like to get out of a room or onto a high structure, all you have to do is press R and Batman will shoot his grappling hook at some random thing on the ceiling or wall, requiring no perception, accuracy or dexterity on my part. Then press R to get to the next thing, whether you know where it is or not. The fighting so far is just tappy tappy win win, too. Still a fun game, presentation and atmosphere carry it.

Play on hard.

Just finished my first playthrough. Loved it. Now I have to decide if I want to play again on Normal and go for all the Riddler Challenges and stuff, or play on Hard. Decisions, decisions.

Penguin

DieH@rd said:

They actually included a comic with Amazon orders that goes into that apparently.

I should probably read.

ToyMachine228 said:
Just finished my first playthrough. Loved it. Now I have to decide if I want to play again on Normal and go for all the Riddler Challenges and stuff, or play on Hard. Decisions, decisions.
So you are saying you played the game on easy or normal the first time around?

Dude Abides

Banned
DieH@rd said:

But isn't the premise that Joker essentially allowed himself to be captured in an elaborate setup to get Batman into a Joker-controlled Arkham?

*Deep Breath*

Just spent the day playing after picking it up this morning.

GLORIOUS!!!!

GOTY etc. and I haven't even gotten very far. Just wandering aroung looking at the details. Environments are so rich.

One funny thing though was my being utterly retarded during the first fight by not realising that you had to unlock a lot of the moves. D'oh!

So many special moments already.

THIS IS WHY I PLAY VIDEOGAMES!!

Pimpbaa

I wish batman got fixed up after you beat the game. Seems kinda cruel to make him trudge around finding riddler's clues all beaten up :lol

Red

Pimpbaa said:
I wish batman got fixed up after you beat the game. Seems kinda cruel to make him trudge around finding riddler's clues all beaten up :lol
When you load your save after beating the game, you pick up before the final battle. The
visitor area
becomes inaccessible, but
the fireworks are going off and everyone is wondering what's going on

Anyone have any tips for combat challenges? I really like the predator challenges for the most part (exception being some of the medals like "take out 3 enemies using three different walls at once"... seems more tedious than anything), but the combat challenges are driving me crazy. Especially the extreme ones. The required scores seem absurdly high, especially considering what you're dealing with.

mileS

I really don't understand all the people complaining about Detective Mode. Lots of people are saying "there's never a single reason to not be using it". Really? It's a fucking button you can turn on and off quickly whenever you want. Why in the world would you go through most of the game with it always turned on anyway? Turning it off to see what the graphics really look like is reason enough considering how much detail was put into so many parts of the game.

Top Bottom