• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Red

Cipher said:
They're just skeletons in detective mode! As for the red spidey sense that's only if they're attacking so it doesn't come up often. I would be happy if they even just made the knives themselves red like the guns.
Why would you use detective mode for the combat challenges? :lol

Any bigger sizes for that art piece?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Quick question about the Riddler maps...

Do all the little question marks reveal individual collectibles/challenges, or does a mass grouping merely indicate something in that area?

Really neat game though, I'm really glad I started on Hard mode, it's been a brutal yet fair challenge.

Red

Brandon F said:
Quick question about the Riddler maps...

Do all the little question marks reveal individual collectibles/challenges, or does a mass grouping merely indicate something in that area?

Really neat game though, I'm really glad I started on Hard mode, it's been a brutal yet fair challenge.
Each question mark is an individual challenge.

Cipher

Crunched said:
Why would you use detective mode for the combat challenges? :lol

Any bigger sizes for that art piece?

Sometimes I have a problem keeping track of knocked out enemies especially when you get to the big groups in the later stages and go to attack someone I think is getting up to find out he's down and losing my combo. :(

Gribbix

On a somewhat related note, it appears that Warner Brothers is taking advantage of the game's release and has issued a reprint of the previously discontinued Batman - The Complete Animated Series DVD set.

51gQ3WB9SnL._SS500_.jpg

Red

Cipher said:
Sometimes I have a problem keeping track of knocked out enemies especially when you get to the big groups in the later stages and go to attack someone I think is getting up to find out he's down and losing my combo. :(
Alright, fair enough. I have the same problem occasionally (nothing more annoying having Batman somersault through the air to do a takedown only to find out the guy he's landed on has passed out), but I'd recommend you turn off detective mode for combat. There are other visual clues to rely on that will probably help more overall, especially for distinguishing between the three types of unarmed thugs.

onken

Downloaded the demo a while back but only just got round to playing it. Holy shit is this game awesome, or is this game awesome? Never gone from zero interest to want to buy so quickly.

Red

onken said:
Downloaded the demo a while back but only just got round to playing it. Holy shit is this game awesome, or is this game awesome? Never gone from zero interest to want to buy so quickly.
That section in the actual game is exponentially better, so you might want to invest in some new pants alongside your purchase.

Holy shit, that huge fucking brawl before
catching Harley
was AMAZING. I kind of wish the hints in the subsequent loading screens post-fuck up weren't SO blatantly helpful. There was one involving blowing up two walls that I was like "I'd have liked to have figured that out, thanks."

Sanjuro

How was the comic that came with the Amazon orders? I haven't heard anything on that.

I'm kind of wanting to play the downloadable challenge maps now.

Red

SanjuroTsubaki said:
How was the comic that came with the Amazon orders? I haven't heard anything on that.

I'm kind of wanting to play the downloadable challenge maps now.
Everything in it is covered in the game, basically just an extended intro.

Sanjuro

I would suck seven dicks to magically produce Batman: TAS in a HD format. That is the only shame about the series is the age to the print on the DVD set.

On another note, I initially thought I would have to suck a dick for Shirley Walker's soundtrack of the series. Thankfully I did not!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I AM THE GODDAMN BATMAN, JESUS CHRIST. (/late to the party)

Man, hard mode is hard. I can't get past the tutorial fight because they outnumber me right now and the moves are limited. :lol Does finishing the game on normal let you keep your stuff and bump the difficulty up to Hard? I started Normal (after getting pissed at that fight and nearly clearing it but not having enough health to smack them around and then R2+Triangle takedown) so I'm curious.

Good game so far, I'm digging the mix of platforming/climbing and the hand-to-hand. Got "Catch" in the
area where you fight the mutated Joker henchman
, which was awesome. :lol

EzLink

Banned
Hell yeah, I am digging hard mode. Glad I went through on Normal first. Not only do I have the incentive for the achievement, but I'm still able to kick lots of ass in combat even with less help/no counter symbol

Sooooooo good

Gribbix said:
On a somewhat related note, it appears that Warner Brothers is taking advantage of the game's release and has issued a reprint of the previously discontinued Batman - The Complete Animated Series DVD set.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gQ3WB9SnL._SS500_.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Goddammit... this was $20 more just 2 weeks ago (which is when I bought it - because of the demo).

:\

Kard8p3

Just finished this up. It's definitely GOTY material and probably my second favorite game this gen right behind Mario Galaxy. When does the sequel come out?

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I would suck seven dicks to magically produce Batman: TAS in a HD format. That is the only shame about the series is the age to the print on the DVD set.

On another note, I initially thought I would have to suck a dick for Shirley Walker's soundtrack of the series. Thankfully I did not!

I wish Shirley had handled the soundtrack for the game. Where can I pick up the soundtrack for the series?

EzLink said:
Hell yeah, I am digging hard mode. Glad I went through on Normal first. Not only do I have the incentive for the achievement, but I'm still able to kick lots of ass in combat even with less help/no counter symbol

Sooooooo good

Awwwww yeah mofo!!

Not even near finishing my first playthrough and yet i'm still planning my second on hard.

Carl

Finally got this today. Apart from the riddler challenges annoying the hell out of me, i am having a ton of fun :)

Kard8p3

Is it true that
if you don't scan Ra's al Ghul before beating the game that he disappears from the game? I hope not because I didn't know about him being in the morgue till after the face.

Sanjuro

DoctorWho said:
I wish Shirley had handled the soundtrack for the game. Where can I pick up the soundtrack for the series?
If you have the deep pockets,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S38W76/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It was a limited run that went out of print very quickly. Your best bet at this point would be a download otherwise. Company that produced the album is here http://www.lalalandrecords.com/. They have been putting out some rather obscure and great albums of late including the complete Mask of the Phantasm album.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I'll ask again:

How do I get the extra movies to show up in the XMB on the PS3 version??

Shit's pissing me off.

I just scrolled over to the video part of the xmb and it was listed like any other blu-ray would be except it let me select the video I want to play right there and then.

tim1138

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I'll ask again:

Shit's pissing me off.

Boot up your PS3 with the game in the drive. Go to Movies in the XMB and there will be a folder (I think) for Batman and inside are the extra videos.

Kard8p3 said:
Is it true that
if you don't scan Ra's al Ghul before beating the game that he disappears from the game? I hope not because I didn't know about him being in the morgue till after the face.
He's not in "the" Morgue, he's in Dr. Young's morgue in the Mansion (just so you don't end up going to the wrong place).

He's definitely not there if you scan him through the duration of the game and come back at the end, though. I don't know how it works if you didn't scan him... I'd think the game would give you a chance to scan him even after the game, and perhaps when you reload the area he'll disappear.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I'll ask again:

Shit's pissing me off.
They're not in the PAL version.

How far along am I if I
Just left the Batcave for the first time
?

I want to this game to last forever but I don't want an abrupt stop :D

JayDub

Any word on a line of toys, figures or statues from AA? I think the darker take on the original designs will be great as collectibles.

tim1138

fistfulofmetal said:
how do i get back to the lower part of Medical after I've beaten the game?

There's a passageway, if I remember right you need to use the claw to pull down a grate. It took me forever to figure that out myself.

dralla

Now that I've beaten it twice and gotten all the riddles and such, I feel like everything has sunk in for me. Basically there's only 2 things I don't like about the game - 1.. The Joker never shuts up, he talks all the time in every room, it gets annoying after a while. 2.. The boss fights are so uninspired/boring in design. The last boss in particular is a joke considering the build up from the Joker the entire game. It's sad to see the 'supervillans' reduced to such mediocrity. RS got everything else right so the mis-steps stand out more.

Red

Finally got 24 medals on predator challenges. Invisible Predator's "pull three guys off a ledge at once" pissed me off to no end. Kept getting two guys because one of them didn't flip over the ledge or because one of the batclaws would hit a railing. But it's finally done, very satisfying.

Really enjoyed the predator challenges overall, despite not liking a few of the medal requirements. The combat challenges, on the other hand... man, not feeling these much at all. Still ripping my hair out trying to get 3 medals on the extreme maps. Can get 2 pretty easily, but 50,000 points? 50,000?

dralla said:
Now that I've beaten it twice and gotten all the riddles and such, I feel like everything has sunk in for me. Basically there's only 2 things I don't like about the game - 1.. The Joker never shuts up, he talks all the time in every room, it gets annoying after a while. 2.. The boss fights are so uninspired/boring in design. The last boss in particular is a joke considering the build up from the Joker the entire game. It's sad to see the 'supervillans' reduced to such mediocrity. RS got everything else right so the mis-steps stand out more.
Scarecrow and Croc were fucking amazing, so I'll have to disagree with you there.

ezekial45

Banned
MMaRsu said:
If I just beat
Poison Ivy
i'm probably already at the end right?

I dont want it to be over so soon!!!

Yes. Once you beat her, you see that Joker has set up the a party for you. If you have anything you want to finish, then don't head to the location.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Crunched said:
Finally got 24 medals on predator challenges. Invisible Predator's "pull three guys off a ledge at once" pissed me off to no end. Kept getting two guys because one of them didn't flip over the ledge or because one of the batclaws would hit a railing. But it's finally done, very satisfying.

Really enjoyed the predator challenges overall, despite not liking a few of the medal requirements. The combat challenges, on the other hand... man, not feeling these much at all. Still ripping my hair out trying to get 3 medals on the extreme maps. Can get 2 pretty easily, but 50,000 points? 50,000?

Yeah, some of these combat challenges are crazy, I see what you mean about the ground takedown stuff. You get tons of points for it, but the moment you try it they go right after you and constantly hit you. I was finally on a roll on that extreme map with the electric floor, and I ran out of time when there was like 2 people left. And my score just drops if that happens, arg.

TheSeks said:
I AM THE GODDAMN BATMAN, JESUS CHRIST. (/late to the party)

Man, hard mode is hard. I can't get past the tutorial fight because they outnumber me right now and the moves are limited. :lol Does finishing the game on normal let you keep your stuff and bump the difficulty up to Hard? I started Normal (after getting pissed at that fight and nearly clearing it but not having enough health to smack them around and then R2+Triangle takedown) so I'm curious.

Good game so far, I'm digging the mix of platforming/climbing and the hand-to-hand. Got "Catch" in the
area where you fight the mutated Joker henchman
, which was awesome. :lol

There's no type of new game+, so you don't keep anything from normal. I would recommend trying Hard, the first fight seems really hard but after you adjust I think it's the way the game was meant to be played.

Red

Papercuts said:
Yeah, some of these combat challenges are crazy, I see what you mean about the ground takedown stuff. You get tons of points for it, but the moment you try it they go right after you and constantly hit you. I was finally on a roll on that extreme map with the electric floor, and I ran out of time when there was like 2 people left. And my score just drops if that happens, arg.
Drives me crazy, man. I keep feeling like I'm doing all I possibly can to rack up points, but then Batman dives off in the wrong direction or reads my Y+B as Y by itself and totally whiffs it. Once you lose your combo, you're pretty much done. It's so awful hitting a stride and then having it ripped out from underneath you because of a technical issue with the game. I keep telling myself it's my fault, that if I focus just a little harder I'll be able to do it, but it feels like I lose control of the game when Batman dives for a guy and comes up like a foot too short, or counters a little to the left of the guy who's attacking him and ends up getting punched in the side of the face.

These are problems that aren't a big deal at all in the main game, since the goal there is to get from point to point, but in the challenge rooms they become so prominent since they directly oppose your objective: string high combos. I'm glad there's some risk involved with the ground takedowns, but it gets annoying when some guy attacks you from off screen (not quite Ninja Gaiden bad, but still annoying) or Batman dives after a guy with stars over his head just for them to disappear as you land on top of him since the guy passed out. Bam, right there you lose your combo because of a situation outside your control.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Crunched said:
Drives me crazy, man. I keep feeling like I'm doing all I possibly can to rack up points, but then Batman dives off in the wrong direction or reads my Y+B as Y by itself and totally whiffs it. Once you lose your combo, you're pretty much done. It's so awful hitting a stride and then having it ripped out from underneath you because of a technical issue with the game. I keep telling myself it's my fault, that if I focus just a little harder I'll be able to do it, but it feels like I lose control of the game when Batman dives for a guy and comes up like a foot too short, or counters a little to the left of the guy who's attacking him and ends up getting punched in the side of the face.

These are problems that aren't a big deal at all in the main game, since the goal there is to get from point to point, but in the challenge rooms they become so prominent since they directly oppose your objective: string high combos. I'm glad there's some risk involved with the ground takedowns, but it gets annoying when some guy attacks you from off screen (not quite Ninja Gaiden bad, but still annoying) or Batman dives after a guy with stars over his head just for them to disappear as you land on top of him since the guy passed out. Bam, right there you lose your combo because of a situation outside your control.

Yeah, I agree with that completely. I love the combat itself but I think the score needed for these is high to the point where it just exposes flaws in it. I feel like a nuke goes off in my head when I have a combo around 25, go for a ground takedown, and even though he jumps to the person, he still gets nicked in the cape by another enemy and I lose the combo. I notice the offscreen stuff too, the guys who go for guns can be damned annoying to stop when there's a huge crowd of people.

Red

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I agree with that completely. I love the combat itself but I think the score needed for these is high to the point where it just exposes flaws in it. I feel like a nuke goes off in my head when I have a combo around 25, go for a ground takedown, and even though he jumps to the person, he still gets nicked in the cape by another enemy and I lose the combo. I notice the offscreen stuff too, the guys who go for guns can be damned annoying to stop when there's a huge crowd of people.
The guys who rip stuff off the walls or pick up bricks to throw at you bother me way more than the gun guys. With the guns you get a siren that goes off. It can be a pain to work your way over the heads of the fifteen thugs in the way to get to them, but at least you get a warning. The brick guys are just damned annoying since they don't make any sound. One minute you're punching some sucker into oblivion, the next you're reeling back because someone just threw a 10 pound rock 30 feet into your neck. Even the regular melee dudes will stumble onscreen and pound you occasionally. Doesn't really matter who it is, it's a pain every time. If you could cancel out of a ground takedown, or if there was a quick dodge or guard button to deflect projectiles, those problems would be negated.

I loved fighting during story mode, but these challenges are so brutal. The cape stuff bothers me a bunch too. I've noticed that even though certain animations will "pull" you away from an oncoming attacker, damage will still be incurred despite their punch missing by a foot and a half. This sometimes works in your favor, since Batman's attacks can similarly miss and still somehow impact, but it's so frustrating knowing an attack isn't going to hit you, seeing that there's no way physically this goon is going to make contact, and then getting hit anyway.

Only two more left now, rumble in the jungle extreme and sewer bat extreme. The two 50,000 point ones, of course :lol

Add me to the love party. The game is everything one could hope to expect in a Batman game, and not only that, but the pacing, design, story, and gameplay mechanics have all been top notch. It's so rare to find a game that gets all those things right, let alone a licensed property game.

Also, considering the lack of certain villains, I really hope that if they get to make a sequel,
that they concentrate on the gangster side of Gotham City with villains like Two-Face, the Ventriloquist, the Penguin, Catwoman, Rupert Thorne, the Black Mask, and R'as. (Spoilered just in case people are still trying to avoid seeing what villains are not in the game)

Regardless, a fantastic game through and through, probably the most enjoyable game I've played all year.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Whoever was responsible for the whole combat system deserves a Nobel prize. Didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Heck, despite opposite feelings with the demo, I ended up loving combat more than stealth. Especially when I began to chain attacks/counters properly to build the multiplier. Also
those fights with Titans and goons were so crazy fun! And OMG @ Titan Jocker.

Time to get the remaining secrets and go for Platinum.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I just stopped at:

Beating the Titan and the henchmen on normal - through it, I got the Mano-A-Mano, Freakshow Rodeo, and FreeFlow 40 achievements. It took me lots of tries to do it, but I finally did it without using any of my gadgets.

Christopher

I have all the regular season sets kind of wish I held out...nah no I don't that was a damn good buy back in the day.

:lol wow from some of the bios here Batman has some really really stupid villians. I still hold Batman: TAS universe as the definitive Batman for me.

Top Bottom