• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

MercuryLS said:
Just beat it a few minutes ago, awesome awesome game. Here's hoping Rock Steady makes enough money to make a sequel. I can't believe I got it for $40, what a steal.
Even with game sales down, is there any way this isn't going to be a smash hit? I hope it does incredibly well, and not only gets Rocksteady moving on a sequel ASAP, but inspires others to develop licensed games with the same sort of quality and understanding of the property.

Zzoram

TheFreshPrince said:
Ok, I'm not a huge Batman fan.....so here's a question:

Is there a good lore-based reason as for why Batman just doesn't
kill/apprehend Harley Quinn after rescuing Gordon? I can see why he wants to avoid casualities, but doesn't Batman realize that by letting Quinn go, he's actually risking more death? Couldn't he have at least locked her up somewhere within Arkham?

You'll notice Batman never bothers to lock up anyone as you play the game. He just knocks them out, and expects them to stay down. I think it's because the events of the game are supposed to occur entirely over 1 night, so the idea is they'll still be unconscious after a few hours.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just beat this awesome game. I think I might play through again. What an awesome awesome experience even more so if you are a Batman fan.

MMaRsu

MMaRsu said:
Can anyone resize this :

200ux55.jpg

To avatar size for me? I want to use it as my temp avatar :D

Quoting for the new page.. damn last post of the page :p.

Anyone? ^_^

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Volcynika said:
It took me a couple tries. My methods:

Always ALWAYS listen for the sound a titan makes before rushing you. They apparently won't rush at the same time, you just have to keep your distance during the fight. Try to lead the normal enemies away and fight them, and also keep your ears open for a rush, and when you hear it , do your double tap left trigger or w/e to throw a batarang (it automatically goes for the titan that's about to rush, at least for me it did) and then dodge pronto. If you can make it to a dazed one without taking much (if any) damage, go and get on the back of one and attack other enemies. As long as you keep yourself aware of where all the other enemies are, you should be able to get through with not too much damage.And don't go for fancy takedowns or any sort of that, you'll become very vulnerable.

Yup.

It also helps a lot to just stand there and keep countering everyone, then all the guards will be in a circle around you to all get slammed by the titans.

witness

Finished it this afternoon and I actually loved the last boss fight. I really liked all the boss fights. My favorite game of the year, over inFamous and RE5 easily. If they come through with whats hinted at during the end of the game for the villian of the next game then I'm super hyped. Can't wait for the sequal, I don't know how they can make it better.

Now I'm just finishing off all the riddler challenges (I'll start a new game to after I finish them all) wish you could wear your
armored batsuit
in a new game. Well maybe with the new dlc they're promising :D

T'Zariah

Banned
Damn playing through this game is like all the awesome moments from BTAS all rolled into one. So long as they don't add a retarded multiplayer component to the next game, I'm there day one.

Sanjuro

Someone needs to tell me how to do a proper ground takedown in a combo for the freeflow. All I keep doing is the jumping one.

sevenchaos said:
There's an achievement/trophy for doing so. :D

The fight in
Joker's throne room
is incredibly frustrating. I think I still suck at this game. Anyone have any advice?

explosives. They don't hurt you. Just plant them in front of you, and lure the Titans. Sometimes you can hit two at the same time despite one of them not even near the explosives. And just beat the shit out of them

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Someone needs to tell me how to do a proper ground takedown in a combo for the freeflow. All I keep doing is the jumping one.

What do you mean by jumping one?

MMaRsu

SanjuroTsubaki said:

I upgraded my stuff to be able to do a awesome takedown with Y+B ( I think ) after a 5x...

Is Batman : The Brave and the Bold any good?

Sanjuro

MMaRsu said:
I upgraded my stuff to be able to do a awesome takedown with Y+B ( I think ) after a 5x...

Is Batman : The Brave and the Bold any good?
THIS!@

I totally forgot about the Y+B maneuver.

feel

Does the game allow for you to explore arkham island after you beat the game to solve all the riddles and stuff you might have missed? Or do I have to collect it all before engaging in the final sequence of the game, and if so, is it obvious when you're about to reach that point of no return? Thanks.

Hyunkel6

MMaRsu said:
Huh I'm pretty sure I got that through upgrades.

It is an upgrade, but you can only it when your enemy is standing, not on the ground. The only ground takedowns you can do (RT + A) is the jumping one if your enemy is on the ground far away, and a punch to the face if your enemy is close by and on the ground.

Just beat it.

Pros:
+ Solid story, voice-acting and script (- some corny lines).
+ Collectibles (riddler's challenges) are great esp. the audio interviews; makes me want to play through to 100%
+ Gameplay is varied and fun. Gadgets are awesome to use
btw what is the last gadget top right hand corner?
+ Stealth elements rule - YOU ARE BATMAN in this game.

Cons:
- Boss battles lack creativity
minus the scarecrow ones
; basically just throw a bunch of enemies or titans at you, rinse and repeat.
- Music. Where was it? Very very understated score. Would almost have preferred to play to the Dark Knight ost.
- Graphics and sound could have used a little more polish. (Sound bug I encountered does not allow me to play in optical).

9.5/10. GOTY so far.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Letters said:
Does the game allow for you to explore arkham island after you beat the game to solve all the riddles and stuff you might have missed? Or do I have to collect it all before engaging in the final sequence of the game, and if so, is it obvious when you're about to reach that point of no return? Thanks.

Yes.

Cipher

I wish guys with knives were put into the "armed" category in detective mode. It's very annoying trying to hit those guys in the challenge maps thinking they're one of the regular thugs.

DevelopmentArrested said:
J
- Music. Where was it? Very very understated score. Would almost have preferred to play to the Dark Knight ost.

I have to disagree with this.
I think that more music would have been a negative in this game by dragging you out of immersion, and really doesn't belong.

Cipher said:
I wish guys with knives were put into the "armed" category in detective mode. It's very annoying trying to hit those guys in the challenge maps thinking they're one of the regular thugs.

Don't they have red clothes and red spidey senses?

123rl

Just when I couldn't give enough high praise for the game...it gives me something new to smile about!

A room full of guards with booby trapped Gargoyles meaning my traditional tactics are no longer acceptable. The game forces the player to adapt to their surroundings and never allows them to become complacent. This is a good thing!

And then the cutscene right after...lol. The fake console crash then repeating the opening credits with Joker and Batman switching places...genius

This is easily GOTY material and I'll predict now that it will be my number 2 game of the 2009 (right after L4D2 and before COD:MW2). It is so good, completely free of legitimate problems (some minor niggles that I can easily forgive), and just an awesomely fun game

tim1138

Just beat it.

+ Gameplay is varied and fun. Gadgets are awesome to use
btw what is the last gadget top right hand corner?

Sonic Batarang
. It's one of my favorite gadgets for dealing with rooms of armed enemies.

painey

its amazing there isnt a serious tv show of these marvel comic universes.. theres so much lore and so many possibilities its a shame they dont capitalise in on it.

Xater

Alos have to disagree hear. Just when I finished the game I though how much I enjoyed the music. It was ver well done how it was only prominent when it needed to be. It also really envoked the Animated Series vibe.

ethelred

painey said:
its amazing there isnt a serious tv show of these marvel comic universes.. theres so much lore and so many possibilities its a shame they dont capitalise in on it.

There was a serious TV show for this game. It even was written by the same guy who wrote the game and featured the same actors as in the game. And yes, it counts, even though it was animated.

lawblob said:
It should also be noted that I just remembered I own Madden 10. Batman is so engrossing that I completely forgot about the other great game I recently bought. It is rare that a game pulls me in so thoroughly, and Batman did it.

I barely touched Professor Layton until I finished.

lawblob said:
I would buy an obscene amount of DLC for this game. Just sayin...

I'd definitely be happy to buy some game-extending DLC (something like Knothole Island or the Prince of Persia Epilogue or Bring Down the Sky) for this game if it let me explore a new area and find new riddles. I could easily go through more of this kind of experience.

Barrett2

It should also be noted that I just remembered I own Madden 10. Batman is so engrossing that I completely forgot about the other great game I recently bought. It is rare that a game pulls me in so thoroughly, and Batman did it.

Xater

ethelred said:
There was a serious TV show for this game. It even was written by the same guy who wrote the game and featured the same actors as in the game. And yes, it counts, even though it was animated.

I don't know. Maybe he was really talking about Marvel? Because I am pretty sure everyone on GAF knows about TAS.

Actually going to start playing through this tonight. I've had it for a few days but I haven't got around to starting it up just yet.

This thread has raised by expectations significantly though. Think I saw someone say it was in the top 25 games ever category? Really? Guess I'll find out soon.

Sanjuro

lawblob said:

I would buy an Adam West challenge map. Day One.

Cipher

BenjaminBirdie said:
Don't they have red clothes and red spidey senses?

They're just skeletons in detective mode! As for the red spidey sense that's only if they're attacking so it doesn't come up often. I would be happy if they even just made the knives themselves red like the guns.

Cipher said:
They're just skeletons in detective mode! As for the red spidey sense that's only if they're attacking so it doesn't come up often. I would be happy if they even just made the knives themselves red like the guns.

Come on now, does it really need to hold your hand too?
There should be some surprises and in the game I kind of wish that there were sometimes when the detective mode would miss a weapon or two to keep you on your toes...

Xater

OokieSpookie said:
Love this concept art piece for the game by Carlos D'anda ...http://i28.tinypic.com/dnyb61.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Did he also do all the drawings for the character profiles? It looks like it. I really liked those.

Top Bottom