• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

ezekial45

Banned
This can't be said enough, but Rocksteady deserves top honors for this game. It's one of the year's best games.

I can't wait to see what they do next.
Hopefully a sequel.
:D

Wow, just got to the room (I imagine late in the game now?) where
the fucking Batwing breaks through the window to drop the line launcher off for you
That was so damned awesome.

Red

Man, I was just at 45,000 points in sewer bat extreme and got gunned down while locked into an instant takedown. Fuck :lol

Sanjuro

Another reason to be jealous of the people waiting for the PC version.

2s7gaxj.png

Red

somnific said:
great game, and had a blast throughout, even when i wanted to pull my hair out during shock and awe extreme.
I just about threw my controller through the TV just now, ended up with 49,990 points on sewer bat extreme :lol

Got it the next time, though. Only one left is rumble in the jungle extreme and then I'll never have to worry about these godforsaken challenges again.

My list of complaints is pretty short, really the combat challenges are the only thing I don't like. It's definitely my favorite game this year, and one of the best action adventure games I've played this gen.

Just finished the game and got 100% of the riddles. All I need to do is figure out
who the spirit of Arkham is
and start on the challenge rooms.

Some minor complaints here and there about the game, but overall, I loved it. Hopefully we'll see a sequel this generation.

ezekial45

Banned
ThirstyFly said:
Just finished the game and got 100% of the riddles. All I need to do is figure out
who the spirit of Arkham is
and start on the challenge rooms.

Some minor complaints here and there about the game, but overall, I loved it. Hopefully we'll see a sequel this generation.

EDIT:
:lol :lol

You're right, it's no fun telling you where (which also ends up spoiling it). Good luck figuring it out.

Volcynika

Man I'm not gonna get that freeflow perfection anytime soon, I always mess up when I'm near the amount of different attacks I need to do. D:

Not reading the spoiler, I want to figure it out on my own :)

Did all the riddles on my own and man, some of those were really tricky, but rewarding.

ThirstyFly said:
Not reading the spoiler, I want to figure it out on my own :)

Did all the riddles on my own and man, some of those were really tricky, but rewarding.

Good on you, dude. Figuring out the riddles was my favorite part of the game.

kaskade

I love the riddler challenges. The little question marks provide just enough info to make it not too annoying to go find them. I'm definitely going to 100% this game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I loved the riddler stuff. I wish they had more of those question marks, I liked hunting down the dot.

Volcynika said:
Man I'm not gonna get that freeflow perfection anytime soon, I always mess up when I'm near the amount of different attacks I need to do. D:

It isn't really that hard, I'd just keep trying to do it in the first combat room until you get it down, it can help a lot on the other challenges because the variation bonus gets big if you really do use everything.

TylerD

Just got it, played through the demo at least 5 times. Installing game data as I speak with the lights off and my gaming chair sitting in front of my TV. :D

Volcynika said:

What Papercuts said, and avoid trying do the Batarang or grappling hook part of the combo at the beginning. You've probably figured that out already, but I've found it's important to remember, especially the grappling hook because you need to have some room to ensure you don't get pounded in the middle of the pull, which is very possible. And make sure everyone is either dazed or far away from you before trying a "Ground Pound" takedown, too. Fuckers will slap you in the face faster than Robin can say "Holy gangbang, Batman" for that shit. >.<

TylerD said:
Just got it, played through the demo at least 5 times. Installing game data as I speak with the lights off and my gaming chair sitting in front of my TV. :D

Sexy.

Vyer

Damn it, some chattering teeth left in Intensive Treatment and I don't know where they are. ARRR

I'm close to being done now, have to go to the Party. But want to clear some Riddler Challenges first...

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Good on you, dude. Figuring out the riddles was my favorite part of the game.

Yeah, the ones where you had to
find and align the hidden question marks
were awesome.

This
Spirit of Akrham
one is turning out to be a little tricky though. I
suspect who it is, but he's not where I last left him.
Not gonna give up though, the search continues! I'm sure there's some clue somewhere I'm missing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DimmuBurgerKing said:
What Papercuts said, and avoid trying do the Batarang or grappling hook part of the combo at the beginning. You've probably figured that out already, but I've found it's important to remember, especially the grappling hook because you need to have some room to ensure you don't get pounded in the middle of the pull, which is very possible. And make sure everyone is either dazed or far away from you before trying a "Ground Pound" takedown, too. Fuckers will slap you in the face faster than Robin can say "Holy gangbang, Batman" for that shit. >.<.

Yeah, it's best to evade roll away to make space(and keep the combo, obviously), then do the grapple.

Vyer said:
Damn it, some chattering teeth left in Intensive Treatment and I don't know where they are. ARRR

Man, tell me about it. The very last riddle I had to find was a set of 3 teeth in the mansion and I went though that thing from top to bottom 2-3 times before I finally heard the sound and figured out where they were.

Try taking your time and listening for the audio clue.

ThirstyFly said:
This
Spirit of Akrham
one is turning out to be a little tricky though. I
suspect who it is, but he's not where I last left him.
Not gonna give up though, the search continues! I'm sure there's some clue somewhere I'm missing.

I don't want to make any assumptions or spoil it for you, so I'll be quite vague: be sure to use the in-game camera to check every possible angle of the room while you're there. It's easy to walk into a room and say, "Meh. Nothing here," and walk out, but if you remember to use the camera, you'll know right away whether or not your suspicion is correct.

Red

46,300 for rumble in the jungle. So close. I have to get it this time, I have to. Rounds 2 and 4 are making it so hard to keep a consistent combo. I'm getting 14,000-20,000 points in round 1 easily, hopefully this time I can do the same in round 3.

I just double tapped A to jump behind a guy with a stun baton and then hit X to attack him from behind, but Batman decided to jump over him and try to punch a guy with two knives. I lost my combo, hesitated for a second wondering what had happened, and then got hit in the back with a pipe.

BATMAN YOU STUPID FUCK.

Why am I able to be shot while I'm on the back of a juiced up thug? I can't get down. I CAN'T GET DOWN. How do you keep from dying in that situation? Batman's hugging a bear while some goon is shooting him in the back, it takes two full seconds to turn around, and there's no way to dodge or guard. What can you do? NOTHING. You can die, that's it.

Fuck everything, I'm about to go chow down on some pills.

Arkham Asylum, you have broken me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why did they make him so ridiculously beef? Did they forget the guy spends his day in a suit running a business?

Anyway, that aside, I played the demo and it is really well made. Easy to learn too. My only problem was figuring out when someone could or couldn't see me, forcing me to wait while perched on a gargoyle for too long. Not sure if I wasn't playing right but I felt like I should be able to attack when I want to when I'm up there, never having to just sit there and wait. I'm guessing if I was a bit more experienced I could have done something else than just stay on gargoyles, but after having been gunned down once I preferred not to.

Anyway on the PC version I'm guessing people will do variations of the model. Classic Batman, 1989 Batman, etc.

If they make a sequel they need to go all the way and have Batman in Gotham city itself. Doesn't mean it has to go GTA-ish, but have him in different locations in Gotham.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
JacksUsername said:
Add me to the love party. The game is everything one could hope to expect in a Batman game, and not only that, but the pacing, design, story, and gameplay mechanics have all been top notch. It's so rare to find a game that gets all those things right, let alone a licensed property game.

Also, considering the lack of certain villains, I really hope that if they get to make a sequel,
that they concentrate on the gangster side of Gotham City with villains like Two-Face, the Ventriloquist, the Penguin, Catwoman, Rupert Thorne, the Black Mask, and R'as. (Spoilered just in case people are still trying to avoid seeing what villains are not in the game)

Regardless, a fantastic game through and through, probably the most enjoyable game I've played all year.

For sure, I want those characters in the sequel, it would work really well.

The only thing I didn't like much about the cast (at least, what I've seen of it) is their design. The Joker is pretty good though. I'd prefer if they didn't really try to "surprise" us that much with the designs and just go with more or less what the animated show was, but rendered as they have done in the game. Basically, more like Batman and the Joker, less like Harley.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Papercuts said:
There's no type of new game+, so you don't keep anything from normal. I would recommend trying Hard, the first fight seems really hard but after you adjust I think it's the way the game was meant to be played.

Eh, like I said. The first fight was frustrating the hell out of me with how I got my ass kicked. Normal's kinda easy, but I'm already about 25% into the story so I'm going to continue completing it on that. I may try to find the collectables/Riddler's stuff after I finish the game and try hard. This def. is more than a rental on that front, but otherwise I'm kinda glad I'm renting and can wait to buy the game when it's about $30-35. It's not bad, def. Game of the Year material and all, just not above $40 for me (and the sales weren't here in America besides Toy's R Us, IIRC).

Pimpbaa

I'd like to see a Harley Quinn challenge mode as DLC. I think it would work out quite well. Would make sense since she can handle herself plus they already have her model so it shouldn't be too much work.

I was hoping at the end of the
scarecrow
sequences, that Batman would punch this character in the motherfucking face. I always interpret the character to be more of a pussy and hiding behind a facade and shit. You know, I wanted to see a price paid for fucking with Batman's
mind and especially memories of childhood

BeautifulMemory said:
I was hoping at the end of the
scarecrow
sequences, that Batman would punch this character in the motherfucking face. I always interpret the character to be more of a pussy and hiding behind a facade and shit. You know, I wanted to see a price paid for fucking with Batman's
mind and especially memories of childhood

I wholeheartedly agree. There's always the inevitable sequel. :D

Hyunkel6

The ghoul-like enemies are annoying
scary
as hell. They always burst out of nowhere to rush you when you are least expecting it. Thank god it takes only one hit to put them down.

MercuryLS

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
The ghoul-like enemies are annoying
scary
as hell. They always burst out of nowhere to rush you when you are least expecting it. Thank god it takes only one hit to put them down.

Yeah, they freaked me out. I'd rather fight random thugs.

B-Dex

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Another reason to be jealous of the people waiting for the PC version.

2s7gaxj.png

HOT!

Damn why did I get the PS3 version :(

So far having a blast with it. Just broke into the
medical building chasing Harley

Can you go back into the penitentiary right before the last battle to collect riddles? or does going in automatically trigger events for the last fights?

Red

Seriously more frustrated right now than I have ever been in my entire adult life. I feel like I'm fighting the game. We are engaged in some twisted battle of wills. I'm going to defeat it, I am resolved toward victory. But right now we are locked in combat, trading blows like warlords. I don't understand it, but I will defeat it.

I've seen a handful of times where I'll enter a counter animation and it will end prematurely. Batman grabs a guy who's lurching toward him, gives him a nice back rub, and then lays him down. The thug falls flat, unconscious, presumably because Batman is so dreamy. But there's no hit, Batman never punches him. Every time this happens, I lose my combo because I'm waiting for an attack to connect.

My hands have become adept at hitting start down A up A. It is like a bastardization of a legendary code, except here, instead of empowering, it is a forfeiture, an admittance of defeat. Each time I do it, a small part of me dies.

I think I figured out who the Spirit of Arkham is right when I heard the very first tape. I can be wrong though (haven't collected all the tapes so he might reveal himself) but I am confident and I know the voice. Damn, time to finish the Riddles. 90% riddles done.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I just finished the game on Hard.

This game was as awesome as it can get, it has everything!

I'm now revisiting the island searching for the challenges.

What a complete game this is from the gameplay to the recording tapes of the criminals, is so well done is scary!

maybe...maybe GOTY for me, we will be about those challenge maps and the Free DLC

Jon

I feel like I've been playing this game forever, and I'm only through 6%! There is so much to do...I don't know whether to stick to the objectives or go exploring for trophies and challenges. This is such a fantastic game--it has to be seriously considered for game of the year.

venom2124

Crunched said:
Seriously more frustrated right now than I have ever been in my entire adult life. I feel like I'm fighting the game. We are engaged in some twisted battle of wills. I'm going to defeat it, I am resolved toward victory. But right now we are locked in combat, trading blows like warlords. I don't understand it, but I will defeat it.

I've seen a handful of times where I'll enter a counter animation and it will end prematurely. Batman grabs a guy who's lurching toward him, gives him a nice back rub, and then lays him down. The thug falls flat, unconscious, presumably because Batman is so dreamy. But there's no hit, Batman never punches him. Every time this happens, I lose my combo because I'm waiting for an attack to connect.

My hands have become adept at hitting start down A up A. It is like a bastardization of a legendary code, except here, instead of empowering, it is a forfeiture, an admittance of defeat. Each time I do it, a small part of me dies.

Quoted for complete and total truth. I've restarted the challenge rooms more times than I care to admit. Evil, evil choice in making the rooms part of getting platinum.

Red

venom2124 said:
Quoted for complete and total truth. I've restarted the challenge rooms more times than I care to admit. Evil, evil choice in making the rooms part of getting platinum.
Hundreds of times. Hundreds.

Sean

Banned
Darkflight said:
Wow, just got to the room (I imagine late in the game now?) where
the fucking Batwing breaks through the window to drop the line launcher off for you
That was so damned awesome.

That was badass but it was also such a big tease. Same with the
batmobile that you can't actually drive. I was kinda hoping to drive that at least for like 20 seconds and maybe you'd use it to bust through a wall and reach a new area perhaps.

There's always a sequel I suppose…

Hyunkel6

MiamiWesker said:
Predator challenge rooms are the best. I am so addicted to it. I am 1st place on one of them and 2nd on to others.

And here I was, all happy to be ranked in the 500s.

Any tips? I can't even think about how someone got ~30 secs on the 1st one.

Red

Oh shit- just hit 25,000 in the first room of rumble in the jungle extreme. If I don't get it this time guys, you'll be reading about me in the paper.

OH MOTHERFUCKER.

So I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Is there hidden upgrades, abilities and things that encourage exploration besides the riddles, or is everything available through story progression and XP farming?

Top Bottom