• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Kard8p3 said:
So are the combat challenge rooms intentionally made to be frustrating? I don't see how I'm supposed to get some of these scores. The knife and stun rod dudes always screw me over. Twice now I've attacked a dude that was a few feet away from a stun rod dude but right when I punch him we like glitch over beside the stun rod and my combo gets broken.

You need to flip over guys w/cattle prods and attack them from behind. Flipping won't break your combo, either.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
21jzk1g.jpg

Rocksteady, Batman 2, co-op:D

Kard8p3

brendanrfoley said:
You need to flip over guys w/cattle prods and attack them from behind. Flipping won't break your combo, either.

This doesn't seem to work for me. When I flip over them they seem to just turn right around. Flipping always worked against them in the story but in the challenge rooms it just doesn't for me.

neojubei said:
http://i30.tinypic.com/21jzk1g.jpg[IMG]

Rocksteady, Batman 2, co-op:D[/QUOTE]

Yes on a sequel but no to co-op. However I do think some kind of online competitive or co-op challenge rooms would be cool.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
WTF argh! I'm supposedly missing some of the Joker teeth in the mansion but I just combed the entire place and found nothing. And the damned plant creaking keeps faking me out.

Got three stars on a third Combat Challenge today. Also playing through on Hard at the moment. Not sure I'm going to be able to Three star every single challenge in Challenge Mode. Going to be pretty tough.

Amir0x

Banned
Finally beat the single player on hard, did all the riddler trophies and solved the spirit of arkham. Took me forever to fit in enough time to beat the damn game, but it was worth it. So amazing.

the game is so incredible it's easier talking about the few problems I did have with the game:

1. Detective Mode needs boundaries. You shouldn't be able to use it all the time. Sometimes I would use it so much I would forget to turn it off, thus missing the beauty of the visuals. As it stands, though, the ability is too overpowered and allows you too great an advantage over your foes.

2. When you DO have detective mode, you shouldn't be able to see enemies through the planet's crust all the way to China. Part of being Batman is observing and making downs with your own careful eye, so the ultra x-ray sort of ruins the reward somewhat.

3. The parts where you do real detective work needed to be rethought. As it stands, it's a cool concept which emphasizes Batman's strengths as a character... but what it doesn't do is allow the player to utilize his own strengths as a potential detective. So in the next game, I would not mind the battles and world roaming to be broken up by the challenge of really complex crime scenes with puzzles to solve within them. None of this scan and follow stuff... really allowing the player to follow his ideas to their ends.

4. Everyone knows Killer Croc is in the game so... the problem I have is
THEY DID NOT LET ME FIGHT HIM! I mean, from the very start you enter Arkham there he is growling that he has your scent and he's going to kill you. And then what we have is a very weak sewer segment and Batman sets him up a trap. You basically run away from him the whole time and occasionally toss a batarang into his electric collar. Lame. They really missed an opportunity there.

5. Incidentally, bosses are one of the largest problems in general. They're simply not very creative, or expanded versions of early foundations laid with the titan stuff. Don't get me wrong, I still loved everything about the combat and they were still fun to participate in, but they could have done with a jolt of creativity.

Dan said:
WTF argh! I'm supposedly missing some of the Joker teeth in the mansion but I just combed the entire place and found nothing. And the damned plant creaking keeps faking me out.

Did you check the
attic above the Warden's Office
?

Kard8p3 said:
This doesn't seem to work for me. When I flip over them they seem to just turn right around. Flipping always worked against them in the story but in the challenge rooms it just doesn't for me..

Here are some tips that worked well for me. Whenever there are knife dudes in the room i always used cape stun to continue the combo instead of constantly pressing attack.When you first get the chance to use a special move i always take out the knife guys first with a KO attack.Then when i build up to use another special attack i would use the throw special on the cattle prod guys. This makes them drop the weapon and gets them back up to build up your combo.Another good tip would throw some quick batarangs and you might get lucky and he'll drop the weapon.In shock and awe you have no choice but to master stun and evade to get some good high scores.

Dan

Amir0x said:
Did you check the
?
Nope. I even got those once, but then I died and didn't go back but forgot about it. Thanks.

Now I've got all the riddles except one solitary Chattering Teeth somewhere in the gigantic medical facility. This'll be fun.

I feel for you, Dan. I had ONE MORE tooth to find and thought I had scoured the entire area to find it... then I decided to check one of the guard towers outside, and found it chattering next to a corpse.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Combat challenges are still bullshit.

I don't care what anyone says. Combos alone don't do enough (considering the fact that Batman is fucking stupid and will whiff a move DESPITE THE FACT I'M TELLING HIS STUPID ASS TO HIT THE DUDE NEAR HIM) leaving me in 15-17 territory for combos (if that). Variation bonus counting for the LAST freeflow instead of over-all (I did all your damn moves, no I didn't do them all at once, fuck you) is stupid, as is the perfection bonus. Dark Knight is easy as long as you're good at counter six-sensing, but the bonus for it is so goddamn small it isn't worth it.

It's bullshit, plain and simple.

TheSeks said:

I don't care what anyone says. Combos alone don't do enough (considering the fact that Batman is fucking stupid and will whiff a move DESPITE THE FACT I'M TELLING HIS STUPID ASS TO HIT THE DUDE NEAR HIM) leaving me in 15-17 territory for combos (if that). Variation bonus counting for the LAST freeflow instead of over-all (I did all your damn moves, no I didn't do them all at once, fuck you) is stupid, as is the perfection bonus. Dark Knight is easy as long as you're good at counter six-sensing, but the bonus for it is so goddamn small it isn't worth it.

Its not hard at all, only a few in extreme mode. You will need one or two rounds where you get a massive 20+ combo. You will need to get the total variation bonus in most of the rounds as that is 5000 points each round. That is not hard to do, all you need to do is pull off 9 moves during one combo streak, 5 of them can be done on one dude before he is down.

Hyunkel6

TheSeks said:

IMO, don't try to get variation bonuses. Instead, focus on normal punches and counters, takedown (Y+B) the guys with the knives and stun rods when possible and build up your combo to at least 40. Once it hits 40 (or more), do a ground takedown asap to get 40x100 bonus points a round.
Now, I realize that's 1000 points less than max variation bonuses, but variation bonuses are so easily messed up that I don't think they are worth the trouble attempting.

Kard8p3

Dan said:
Nope. I even got those once, but then I died and didn't go back but forgot about it. Thanks.

Now I've got all the riddles except one solitary Chattering Teeth somewhere in the gigantic medical facility. This'll be fun.

I was missing one in the medical facility as well.
remember in the patient observation room where you have to lower the gas and then at the end you have to cut one of jokers goons down to lower it the rest of the way? There's one in there that I had missed and I've been hearing from other that they missed it as well so you might want to check there.

Dan

I'm enjoying the hell out of the Predator challenges. I'd love more of these, a whole ton of them like the Metal Gear Solid VR missions.

Kard8p3 said:
I was missing one in the medical facility as well.
remember in the patient observation room where you have to lower the gas and then at the end you have to cut one of jokers goons down to lower it the rest of the way? There's one in there that I had missed and I've been hearing from other that they missed it as well so you might want to check there.
Yup, that's exactly the one I missed. Heh, it wasn't nearly as difficult as finding the last couple shards in inFamous...

Hyunkel6 said:
IMO, don't try to get variation bonuses. Instead, focus on normal punches and counters, takedown (Y+B) the guys with the knives and stun rods when possible and build up your combo to at least 40. Once it hits 40 (or more), do a ground takedown asap to get 40x1000 bonus points a round.

I tried going for the variation bonuses at first, but found them a lot harder to do.

It's quite important to do critical strikes as well, as it swipes enemies off their feet (means less people to sneak in a punch while you're working on your combo).
Also I think you can basically evade endlessly without breaking your combo, so it's a good idea to keep evading until you find a good spot to 'break into the crowd', meaning that there's noone behind you.

iratA

Amir0x said:
Finally beat the single player on hard, did all the riddler trophies and solved the spirit of arkham. Took me forever to fit in enough time to beat the damn game, but it was worth it. So amazing.

the game is so incredible it's easier talking about the few problems I did have with the game:

1. Detective Mode needs boundaries. You shouldn't be able to use it all the time. Sometimes I would use it so much I would forget to turn it off, thus missing the beauty of the visuals. As it stands, though, the ability is too overpowered and allows you too great an advantage over your foes.

2. When you DO have detective mode, you shouldn't be able to see enemies through the planet's crust all the way to China. Part of being Batman is observing and making downs with your own careful eye, so the ultra x-ray sort of ruins the reward somewhat.

3. The parts where you do real detective work needed to be rethought. As it stands, it's a cool concept which emphasizes Batman's strengths as a character... but what it doesn't do is allow the player to utilize his own strengths as a potential detective. So in the next game, I would not mind the battles and world roaming to be broken up by the challenge of really complex crime scenes with puzzles to solve within them. None of this scan and follow stuff... really allowing the player to follow his ideas to their ends.

Sorry Amir0x I've gotta disagree with some of your comments relating to the detective stuff. Yeah the detective stuff in general is a bit dumbed down, but I like the change of pace from the frantic fight scenes. I also love the ability to see through walls, into rooms, through floors and so on without exposing yourself. It suits the Dark Knight to a tee and I just couldn't imagine the game without it. I'm a fan of whoever made the design decision to stick with one simple vision mode, instead of multiple vision modes ala rainbow six or something like that.

Like you say, I think the range of the vision could be shortened a bit though. Also the detective mode was a great opportunity for some clever environmental puzzles and I'm not sure the game really delivered on that. I wouldn't of minded having some rooms like something from Metroid Prime/Zelda series as far as puzzles are concerned. I think the balance of gameplay elements on the whole is very good.

One request for the sequel: Give me a playable batmobile sequence of some sort.

Detective mode irritated me, there was no reason not to have it activated at all times and being able to see enemies in the next county ruined the sense of surprise and eliminated the need to use your senses and patience. And I couldn't just turn it off, it's a core game mechanic and the level design and encounters are designed with detective mode in mind. For one thing, the supertight shoulder camera discouraged me from playing the game Splinter Cell or Thief-style and relying on sight and sound instead of X-ray vision.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've noticed an issue with the 360 version. Usually when you start your custom soundtrack all music in game shuts off automatically. It doesn't in Batman (at least in the challenge rooms), even when I put the music slider to 0.

MMaRsu

Darunia said:
I've noticed an issue with the 360 version. Usually when you start your custom soundtrack all music in game shuts off automatically. It doesn't in Batman (at least in the challenge rooms), even when I put the music slider to 0.

Yup that's true. I did put the slider to zero and that did work for me.

Anyway is there a secrets map for the sewers?

-edit-nvm found it :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn podcasts this week almost have me breaking down and buying a console version. The PC version can't come out soon enough!

iratA said:
Sorry Amir0x I've gotta disagree with some of your comments relating to the detective stuff. Yeah the detective stuff in general is a bit dumbed down, but I like the change of pace from the frantic fight scenes. I also love the ability to see through walls, into rooms, through floors and so on without exposing yourself. It suits the Dark Knight to a tee and I just couldn't imagine the game without it. I'm a fan of whoever made the design decision to stick with one simple vision mode, instead of multiple vision modes ala rainbow six or something like that.

Like you say, I think the range of the vision could be shortened a bit though. Also the detective mode was a great opportunity for some clever environmental puzzles and I'm not sure the game really delivered on that. I wouldn't of minded having some rooms like something from Metroid Prime/Zelda series as far as puzzles are concerned. I think the balance of gameplay elements on the whole is very good.

One request for the sequel: Give me a playable batmobile sequence of some sort.

Agreed, I think the detective mode was fine. This is not MGS, this is Batman :)
But please no vehicles! Other games have tried and failed.

And to the people who are frustrated with the combat challenges... Yes, it's hard. Very hard at times (even though some people here will say it's not) Still, I find it so so rewarding when I finally beat one of them. And the combat is just amazing in my opinion. Still, some challenges might take you hours to finally complete. But I want the platinum on this game, so I will continue!

deepbrown

revolverjgw said:
Detective mode irritated me, there was no reason not to have it activated at all times and being able to see enemies in the next county ruined the sense of surprise and eliminated the need to use your senses and patience. And I couldn't just turn it off, it's a core game mechanic and the level design and encounters are designed with detective mode in mind. For one thing, the supertight shoulder camera discouraged me from playing the game Splinter Cell or Thief-style and relying on sight and sound instead of X-ray vision.
Hm, I didn't use detective mode that much really.

Chipy Brady

Neo Member
I'm nearly finished all the Riddler challenges, but I'm missing one set of Joker teeth from the Botanical Gardens. Are there any common ones people have missed?

The game is incredible, probably one of the 5 best games of the year. The only complain that I have is the detective mode.

Is too intrusive and, the worse thing... it offers too many advantages (seeing secrets, enemies with the complete status and facing, vents or interactive items, breakable walls, etc) and no penalties. So sometimes I go through complete areas without seeing the real colors of those places.

Detective mode should be activated sostaining the L2, instead of switching with a press. Then, you'll be forced to use it sometimes, but not always. Yes, is an election of the player, but the design should promote more or less that kind of advantages.

DangerousDave said:
The game is incredible, probably one of the 5 best games of the year. The only complain that I have is the detective mode.

Is too intrusive and, the worse thing... it offers too many advantages (seeing secrets, enemies with the complete status and facing, vents or interactive items, breakable walls, etc) and no penalties. So sometimes I go through complete areas without seeing the real colors of those places.

Detective mode should be activated sostaining the L2, instead of switching with a press. Then, you'll be forced to use it sometimes, but not always. Yes, is an election of the player, but the design should promote more or less that kind of advantages.

I thought a good idea would be to actually have to see an enemy in the flesh before the system scans them into x-ray mode. This would mean more scouting before takedowns and also a greater degree of risk that you may not have taken a guard into account when you'e out in the open.

Also, I think the cowl should be upgradeable (starts really basic) and add features throughout the game.

DangerousDave said:

Most of the game is too dark to see these things though, thats the only reason why I've played 80% of the game in detective mode

Fady K

Im playing through this right now and this is easily the best game I played all year. This is Batman fanatic's dream game come true.

KAOz

Short bus special
I am the goddamn Batman. Finally managed to complete all Challenge Rooms. :D
Now, just to complete it on Hard and that gorgeous Platinum is mine.

I love this game so much.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So after several nights of playing, probably 3 to 4 hours total, I finally had the Challenge Rooms "click" for me. I've been working them in order, and had stalled on the normal Shock & Awe, when suddenly about 30 minutes into playing last night, it clicked big time.

Not only did I beat Shock & Awe, but beat Rumble on my first try after that, and then beat Intensive Treatment (Extreme) on my 2nd try. Now I'm working on Sewer Bat (Extreme) and have nearly gotten it down already. My only issue now is learning to deal with the gun cabinet dudes. I'm learning to throw batarangs at them, or try to be in that general area, but man it's hard. Once the guns come out, I usually get killed before I can take everyone out.

So hard, but so very rewarding. Definitely gonna stick with it, no matter how many hours it takes, and get my platinum. By far the hardest game I've played in a while, but worth the frustration.

Question about getting 2 riddles:

I'm back at Intensive treatment (on the Croc mission) and there's 2 riddles I need. However, big vines are now blocking my route to get there.
Is there another way in or am I stuffed? I know there's a route out saying Arkam Island, East but can you get in from that way and if so where is it?

There are in the Utility corridor just off from the IT lobby. It's the " You don't know Jack about Gotham..." plus a Riddler trophy.

Hyunkel6 said:
For the predator challenges, do you actually have to get all 3 medals in 1 attempt?
Correct. I found predator challenges to be insanely more easy for me than the combat challenges. It never took me more than 3 tries to beat a predator challenge. Then again, I wasn't going to record speeds either. Just wanted the batarangs. :D

Still can't wrap my head around the final 3 combat challenges though. Had a 22k round in Sewer Bat (extreme) and wasn't able to pull off 50k in the end. That just sucks.

Beat it last night. One of the first games I've really taken a liking to in a long time. Gotta go back and find all the Riddler stuff now. Not sure if I plan on trying to get 1000/1000 though.

One thing I really enjoyed is that the combat had a substantial amount of feeling to it. When Batman punched someone, you knew he meant business and actually hit the dude. I can't remember another game when hand-to-hand felt so good and natural. When I hit my 40x combo
room right before Joker's "party"
I was so excited and just felt like a total badass.

I will agree with amir0x about both Killer Croc and the boss battles in general. I would have loved to see a stealth-type boss battle in there somewhere, instead of "do x three times, win." for every single boss.

Oddly enough, I spent almost no time in detective mode, unless I was stuck, following a trail or actively looking for Riddler stuff, that may be why I only got about 50% of the Riddler stuff in my playthrough.

Thinking about a sequel is in interesting concept. At the end
they said something about Harvey Dent (Twoface). He was also conspicuously absent from Arkham. Any thoughts on this as a possible plotline for Batman 2? I hope so. Also, all of the different hands coming out of the water at the end (I got Scarecrow) leads me to believe at least a few villains may be returning.

Overall one of my favorite games of this year.

Hyunkel6

Katana_Strikes said:

I'm back at Intensive treatment (on the Croc mission) and there's 2 riddles I need. However, big vines are now blocking my route to get there.
Is there another way in or am I stuffed? I know there's a route out saying Arkam Island, East but can you get in from that way and if so where is it?

There are in the Utility corridor just off from the IT lobby. It's the " You don't know Jack about Gotham..." plus a Riddler trophy.

IIRC, you have to beat a certain boss to make the
vines
go.

feel

Katana_Strikes said:

Don't worry about these for now, keep advancing the main story, they'll be easily reachable later on.

Dabanton

Naw Detective mode needs to stay as it is, maybe pull the range back a bit it's invaluable for planning out strategies before i enter a room.

Maybe for the sequel they can play with the idea of light and dark a bit more have areas where you can take out lights to play to your advantage.

Would be awesome fighting thugs in a totally pitch black room.

Dabanton said:
Naw Detective mode needs to stay as it is, maybe pull the range back a bit it's invaluable for planning out strategies before i enter a room.

Maybe for the sequel they can play with the idea of light and dark a bit more have areas where you can take out lights to play to your advantage.

Would be awesome fighting thugs in a room totally pitch black.
Hell yeah, if they could add in a totally dynamic light system like Splinter Cell - oh god can you imagine this and Chaos Theory merged, rainy, dynamically lit lighthouse level with the goddamned Batman :D

Amir0x said:

4. Everyone knows Killer Croc is in the game so... the problem I have is
THEY DID NOT LET ME FIGHT HIM! I mean, from the very start you enter Arkham there he is growling that he has your scent and he's going to kill you. And then what we have is a very weak sewer segment and Batman sets him up a trap. You basically run away from him the whole time and occasionally toss a batarang into his electric collar. Lame. They really missed an opportunity there.

5. Incidentally, bosses are one of the largest problems in general. They're simply not very creative, or expanded versions of early foundations laid with the titan stuff. Don't get me wrong, I still loved everything about the combat and they were still fun to participate in, but they could have done with a jolt of creativity.

Did you check the
?

I very much agree with #1 and #2 and I agree for the most part with the view on boss battles too though I think it would be hard to come up with many and try and keep them gritty and "realistic" to the material if that applies.
I definitely like to think that Rocksteady are taking notes...

Dabanton said:

Would be awesome fighting thugs in a totally pitch black room.

I would like to see it charge up, where you have to be more selective a bit.
Normal mode could offer a slower drain where hard would drain faster.

Darkflight said:
Hell yeah, if they could add in a totally dynamic light system like Splinter Cell - oh god can you imagine this and Chaos Theory merged, rainy, dynamically lit lighthouse level with the goddamned Batman :D

I think I just came a little.

Dabanton

OokieSpookie said:
I would like to see it charge up, where you have to be more selective a bit.
Normal mode could offer a slower drain where hard would drain faster.

Maybe, but it would be a pain in the ass for stuff like riddler challenges if they have them in the sequel.

11 more Riddler Challenges to go...

I haven't had to use a guide yet thankfully and the only real trouble I've had so far was the
"Rat Catcher"
one.
I knew it was in that vent but I couldn't find the damn thing. I kept thinking it was the mushrooms somehow because that was the first time I saw mushrooms in a vent. I tried every different angle to reveal the answer on the mushrooms but none worked. I even thought I was glitched for a minute there or something lol. But then I went back for one last try, looked down while in the vent for once, and BAM, there's the real answer. 20 minutes on that stupid riddle made worth while.

Chorazin

Beat it a few nights ago, man was this game great! Can't wait to try the challenges next.

I got the
Harvey Dent is robbing Gotham National Bank!
ending, which I thought was really appropriate.

Minamu

If by coop you mean having two characters doing different things in different locations, working together across the radio for the most part & having two "storylines" ie playing the same story from the different points of view, then yes, I'd play it to death.

If Batman & Robin had to infiltrate AA from different sides of the island, with different abilities & different goals (though with the same common goal of course) & what you do with one character affects the other, I could see myself playing that in both coop & single player. 2 games in 1 is better than 1 imho :) Kinda like if you could've played Snake's parts on the plant in MGS2.

Chorazin said:
I got the
Harvey Dent is robbing Gotham National Bank!
ending, which I thought was really appropriate.
Everyone gets that part. It's what happens after the credits that's different.

Top Bottom