• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

GCQuinton

Confused101 said:
I agree. This was Joker's story, not Batman's. What an excellent job Mark Hamill did with him too. Everything from his almost musical laugh to his sinister delivery of the line, "Someone finish him off." I read somewhere that this would be the last time Mark provides his talents for the Joker. Is this true?

And Harley's performance was great too. "Oh hiya B-man. Harley Quinn here." Love it.

Speaking of which, this the style/presentation of the Game Over screens are very cool too. Loved all of 'em, especially the one where Scarecrow's "teleporting" all over the place, claws the screen, says something cool, and fades into the black.

chris0701

IGN/Gamespot/1up...whatever,hope there would be a depth interview with Rocksteady about how they developed such an amazing gaming experience.

Zeliard

Only section of the game I really haven't liked so far is the first Croc "fight" down in the caves. Terrible and highly repetitive gameplay mechanics at work there. Shame, because the rest of the game is so good.

Kweh

Are you supposed to pick up the Secrets Maps that you see laying around? I picked one up and Riddler pretty much came across and said some comment as if I was cheating.

LiK

Kweh said:
Are you supposed to pick up the Secrets Maps that you see laying around? I picked one up and Riddler pretty much came across as if I was cheating.

yes, you use them to find all the Riddles and Chronicles

ezekial45

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
Hey guys,

Just finished the croc section/sewers, but I'm struggling to get back to the batcave. I think I'm lost :(

Continue down the path where you saw the group of prisoners talking about the back cave. You should've heard them once you came out of the door from Croc's Lair.

GCQuinton said:
Speaking of which, this the style/presentation of the Game Over screens are very cool too. Loved all of 'em, especially the one where Scarecrow's "teleporting" all over the place, claws the screen, says something cool, and fades into the black.
I acutally didn't mind dying because of this. Scarecrow's, the one where Joker trips backwards and
Bane's when he breaks Batman's spine over his knee
were my favorites. I was so happy they put that in and honestly didn't expect to see it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man, the combat challenges are so damn stupid with the score requirements. I think I'm done for now.

LiK

Confused101 said:
I acutally didn't mind dying because of this. Scarecrow's, the one where Joker trips backwards and
Bane's when he breaks Batman's spine over his knee
were my favorites. I was so happy they put that in and honestly didn't expect to see it.

i died on purpose at least twice for every boss battle just to see them. very very cool.

Minamu

The maps you pick up gives 200 exp so why not pick them, I asked myself once, & continued on :) Riddler accuses you of cheating no matter what you do anyway.

I noticed a detail error on hard though. When Batman presses some buttons on his arm to get the
batplane to crash through the window
, he's just pressing random invisible buttons on his arm pad. Unless there's an invisble touch pad there, but I doubt it. No longer GOTY :( :lol

Alivor

Well I got all of the hidden content, and beat it on hard. Now I'm going for 100%, but the combat challenges are proving to be frustrating and really damn hard.

EzLink

Banned
Minamu said:
Did anyone else notice how Batman's beard seems to be growing over the course of the game? He seems to be quite freshly shaven at the beginning but his face is pretty dark by the end (and I don't think it's just dirt & soot). Pretty cool this insane amount of detail Rocksteady put into this.

Also, this article is rather interesting for Batman newbies (mostly, filled with spoilers too, just skip the parts where they show the bad guys in the game):
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-28-hidden-characters-in-batman-arkham-asylum/a-20090902115717671032
on this last page, they explain who that weird guy in the Clayface room is. I'm surprised no one has thought of this until now. Pretty cool too.

The guy with 1 arm who's locked up in a cell walking around & making weird noises is a guy who won a contest & got his face scanned.

Oh awesome! I had been wondering who the hell that guy was since the moment I ran into him. I remember reading about that contest too. Damn, pretty badass thing to win.

LiK

Minamu said:
The maps you pick up gives 200 exp so why not pick them, I asked myself once, & continued on :) Riddler accuses you of cheating no matter what you do anyway.

yea, that's the best thing outta solving the Riddles. i love his reactions. they get funnier and funnier as you solve more.

once again to people who don't know, there are NO missable Riddles. just keep playing.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I hope 360 gets Joker eventually because his moves and one-liners in the challenges are just so funny and more people should be able to try him out.

I love using him, I wonder if other characters could ever be DLC.

Really quite love it. Just out of the caves, back on surface level, and just starting to get a bit bored with repetitive stuff. Still great, just feel like it is/should be heading towards the endgame now. Would buy a sequel - or, rather, a follow-up game, a Batman game, not in the asylum but in this world - in a heartbeat.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What's the trick with these riddles where I just keep getting "partially discovered"? I can't figure it out.

LiK

Dan said:
What's the trick with these riddles where I just keep getting "partially discovered"? I can't figure it out.

Riddle me this:
What does a Question Mark have at the bottom to complete it?

I am replaying on hard and got to a scene
in the mansion where a henchman was holding a gun to a secruity guard and asking him questions. I guess I went to fast in my first playthrough cause as you sneak up behind the goon, the guard starts to get all cocky. He tells the goon something like "oh I will be fine real soon", "you are in serious trouble". And the goon is all like "shut up, you cant do anything". Then the guard goes "look behind you." :lol :lol :lol Thats when I beat the crap out of the goon. So awesome

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MiamiWesker said:
I am replaying on hard and got to a scene
in the mansion where a henchman was holding a gun to a secruity guard and asking him questions. I guess I went to fast in my first playthrough cause as you sneak up behind the goon, the guard starts to get all cocky. He tells the goon something like "oh I will be fine real soon", "you are in serious trouble". And the goon is all like "shut up, you cant do anything". Then the guard goes "look behind you." :lol :lol :lol Thats when I beat the crap out of the goon. So awesome

Wow, that's absolutely brilliant. I completely missed that because I ran in to take out the henchman fast.

LiK

GuardianE said:
Wow, that's absolutely brilliant. I completely missed that because I ran in to take out the henchman fast.

i always wait for them to finish speaking before i do anything. i even restarted a checkpoint once cuz i came out too early. there is sooo much good dialogue in this game.

YES!!!!

I must have been in my happy place tonight, managed to get my Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) from 2 bats to 3 and managed to go from 0 bats to 3 in Shock and Awe (Extreme) in one go. (Though about 8 different tries at that one go :lol) Woohoo, my 1st 1000/1000.

I love you Arkham!

mhfsl2.jpg

MMaRsu

How do I get all the different ?'s that are around Arkham Mansion? I'm trying to swoop up my last riddle thingy's.. but I can't find a way to get those..

Nvm a little climbing did the trick. Still miss one though, it's on the left side near the entrance, circling around a wall. But all I see is trees.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MMaRsu said:
But the combat challenges are easy..

Easy for you, bullshit for me.

Score requirement that wants a freeflow perfection bonus is NOT easy.

Aske

LiK said:
i always wait for them to finish speaking before i do anything. i even restarted a checkpoint once cuz i came out too early. there is sooo much good dialogue in this game.

Truer words were never spoken. One of my absolute favourite touches was hearing Harley call out
"Stupid Bat fell riiiiight inta my trap! Ha ha ha!" from across the room when you grab the Riddler trophy in the cell after catching her; followed by something like "Hey! How'd ya get outta there?" when you break free.
Such a little thing that added so much to my appreciation of the game, and there are so many of those details! Besides Batman's stubble and costume deterioration, there was Harley's fingerprint trail. It took me a second to figure out why the hell her prints were all over the ground, then I thought about how she actually moves and it clicked.

I beat the game last night on Normal mode after taking my time and solving all the riddles. So glad I have all the Challenge modes to play, plus the special features to watch before I get started on Hard. The game keeps on giving.

It's amazing to read about all the different games people are reminded of when playing. For me, it was Eternal Darkness and Manhunt; but there's a heavy dose of RE4 in there as well.

As much as I loved the Scarecrow sections, the stealth predator rooms were the highlights, and by far my favourite gameplay mechanic. It was fantastic to find that the Challenge rooms push players to use specific takedowns; and getting really familiar with the rooms means I'll be able to take much greater advantage of all the options in the main game. I often felt like I'd played it too safe in some sections - it's a little too easy to make rafter kills and miss out on the plethora of exploding walls, ceilings and floors. It was awesome to see the Joker's men
booby trap the gargoyles
. Replaying the challenges with the Joker's grapple-gun-free moveset makes things much more interesting too, although I do wish he had some kind of equivalent to Batman's unlimited explosive gel. One bullet and one set of remote controlled exploding teeth is fine, but it would be fun to make frequent strategic use of the weak walls alongside the regular stealth takedowns. Much more satisfying to set traps when there's no way to easily grapple yourself to safety, especially with Joker's slightly restricted X-ray vision.

One other small thing I have to praise: the post-Ivy Batcave escape across the sea stacks. I went back and did it again several times.

mattso

TheSeks said:
Easy for you, bullshit for me.

Score requirement that wants a freeflow perfection bonus is NOT easy.
you really dont need freeflow perfection or perfect knight to get the score requirement.

In fact I think all of my highest scores are from rounds I did not get those.

What you need to do is replay the first round til you have it down to a science. Get the biggest combo possible and when there are 3 guys left toss one away from the other 2 and ground pound his ass. The other 2 should be running at you so counter if necessary if not then try to do the same on at least one of the other 2 (I think its better with 3 since for whatever reason batman likes to go into a straight hit if you try to throw twice in a row... for me at least).

If you can do that in the opening round you should easily get 10k or more.

Whatever you do, never sacrifice combos over getting more variation in your combo. All you ever really need to use are the hit, counter, ground takedown, throw, and instant takedown.

Completed this yesterday, truly fantastic. Just a quick question about challenge mode, Silent Knight someone has recorded a time of 25 seconds, while the previous record holder, 28 seconds flat has been removed. A few people on Gamefaqs are speculating that people are using exploits and glitches. What's your thoughts, I mean Silent Knight I'm on 38.49 could probably get this down a second or two if I nailed a new strat I'm working on, but for the leader to be 13 seconds faster, seems incomprehensible.

Christopher

Darkflight said:
YES!!!!

I must have been in my happy place tonight, managed to get my Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) from 2 bats to 3 and managed to go from 0 bats to 3 in Shock and Awe (Extreme) in one go. (Though about 8 different tries at that one go :lol) Woohoo, my 1st 1000/1000.

I love you Arkham!

mhfsl2.jpg

on Xbox you don't get something like the Platinum trophy on PSN if you get them all?

Nope, you get a little picture in that box in the left :D SFIV has an achievement for getting all the others, but nothing else really does.

BeeDog

Alright, just got to the medical facility or whatever it's called (not too far in the game, haven't even met any boss yet), and so far the game's fucking fun. At this rate, it's definitely top 3 GOTY 2009 material on my list. :D Was worth the damn long wait from HMV (got a nice slipcase and a poster with it too!).

I am currently at
Arkham mansion
and trying to get back to the beginning but can not figure out how to get there to get stuff that I missed now that I have the claw.
Is there a way to get back there yet or is it a wait until later thing?

mattso said:
you really dont need freeflow perfection or perfect knight to get the score requirement.

In fact I think all of my highest scores are from rounds I did not get those.

What you need to do is replay the first round til you have it down to a science. Get the biggest combo possible and when there are 3 guys left toss one away from the other 2 and ground pound his ass. The other 2 should be running at you so counter if necessary if not then try to do the same on at least one of the other 2 (I think its better with 3 since for whatever reason batman likes to go into a straight hit if you try to throw twice in a row... for me at least).

If you can do that in the opening round you should easily get 10k or more.

Whatever you do, never sacrifice combos over getting more variation in your combo. All you ever really need to use are the hit, counter, ground takedown, throw, and instant takedown.

I think you can substitute batarangs for throw in many cases. I never use the instant batarang and I think that's causing me to fail on the last round in Shock and Awe. Too many damn stun rods.

Minamu

Perfect freeflow & dark knight bonuses are definitely NOT necessary for the target scores. I'd work on getting higher combos instead. If you have a 30+ combo when there's 3 guys left, you're pretty much golden. Just triple grapple, jump over, ground pound 2 guys, grapple 3rd guy again, jump over & pound. That's at least 10k points on THREE bad guys. Imagine the possibilities :D

Edit: Has it been confirmed that Ras is not missable? Considering there's pictures of
his empty body bag. And honestly, for a sequel, a FOOT & a handwritten tag isn't much of a proof that it's really his body imho :)

Hyunkel6

I'm missing 10 riddles. I am pretty sure I cleared up Arkham N, E, W, Intensive Treatment, Med Facility, Mansion, Gardens and Penitentiary. Which area am I missing and how do I get there?

Minamu

Hyunkel6 said:
I'm missing 10 riddles. I am pretty sure I cleared up Arkham N, E, W, Intensive Treatment, Med Facility, Mansion, Gardens and Penitentiary. Which area am I missing and how do I get there?
You can press your select/back button & go to riddler's challenges. You'll see which areas you have cleared with your triggers there. The caves & sewers don't show up on the regular map unless you're actually there. That might be it, if you have all secrets maps.

Minamu said:
You can press your select/back button & go to riddler's challenges. You'll see which areas you have cleared with your triggers there. The caves & sewers don't show up on the regular map unless you're actually there. That might be it, if you have all secrets maps.

Additionally, the maps themselves count as part of the 240 riddles/challenges total.

Hyunkel6

Minamu said:

Definitely the caves. Completely forgot about them. Thanks a lot.

Red

Minamu said:
Perfect freeflow & dark knight bonuses are definitely NOT necessary for the target scores. I'd work on getting higher combos instead. If you have a 30+ combo when there's 3 guys left, you're pretty much golden. Just triple grapple, jump over, ground pound 2 guys, grapple 3rd guy again, jump over & pound. That's at least 10k points on THREE bad guys. Imagine the possibilities :D

Edit: Has it been confirmed that Ras is not missable? Considering there's pictures of
his empty body bag. And honestly, for a sequel, a FOOT & a handwritten tag isn't much of a proof that it's really his body imho :)
Yeah, dark knight and perfection bonuses are absolutely nothing compared to a high combo. Scoring 4000 points for a single ground takedown once your chain hits 40 is a far better strategy.

Minamu

Crunched said:
Yeah, dark knight and perfection bonuses are absolutely nothing compared to a high combo. Scoring 4000 points for a single ground takedown once your chain hits 40 is a far better strategy.
Yup, I've only gotten one of each in total & I still got the Platinum.

Hyunkel6 said:
Definitely the caves. Completely forgot about them. Thanks a lot.
You're welcome ^^ I missed them both playthroughs :lol

Valkyr Junkie said:
Additionally, the maps themselves count as part of the 240 riddles/challenges total.
Really? Been wondering about that :)

Ri'Orius

mattso said:

Eh, I personally always found the variation bonuses to be quite nice: if you can get two eights and two nines, that's 16k right there; halfway to the 30k golds and nothing to sneeze at for the 50k. Plus, it gave me some much-needed variety; I'm not sure I could've focused on just doing hit, counter, hit, counter for long enough to rack up a solid combo.

That said, if I were going to only use a few moves, I'd ditch the throw in favor of batarang, no question. Instantly dropping three guys is very much awesome (especially for clearing out space for ground takedowns).

The claw is also a good choice, IMHO, again for just thinning the crowd by stunning/flooring three guys. Just be sure not to do claw then batarang: you'll just hit the three stunned guys you clawed. Batarang to claw, however, will get six guys out of your way, three of which are ready for ground takedowns. That's a recipe for success.

Oh, and evade, for sure. Did you seriously not use it, or do you just not consider it a move?

mattso

Valkyr Junkie said:
I think you can substitute batarangs for throw in many cases. I never use the instant batarang and I think that's causing me to fail on the last round in Shock and Awe. Too many damn stun rods.
if the dude is far enough away, sure. The reason I throw a lot near the end is to separate the group and score some major points with ground takedowns.

I found batarangs would end up messing up my combo sometimes if I hit 3 guys and those happened to be the 3 closest to me sometimes I wouldn't have someone to easily hit to keep it going and it'd drop. That's just me.

mattso

Ri'Orius said:
Eh, I personally always found the variation bonuses to be quite nice: if you can get two eights and two nines, that's 16k right there; halfway to the 30k golds and nothing to sneeze at for the 50k. Plus, it gave me some much-needed variety; I'm not sure I could've focused on just doing hit, counter, hit, counter for long enough to rack up a solid combo.

That said, if I were going to only use a few moves, I'd ditch the throw in favor of batarang, no question. Instantly dropping three guys is very much awesome (especially for clearing out space for ground takedowns).

The claw is also a good choice, IMHO, again for just thinning the crowd by stunning/flooring three guys. Just be sure not to do claw then batarang: you'll just hit the three stunned guys you clawed. Batarang to claw, however, will get six guys out of your way, three of which are ready for ground takedowns. That's a recipe for success.

Oh, and evade, for sure. Did you seriously not use it, or do you just not consider it a move?
Oh I definitely used the evade and capestun but those in my head just go with the regular attacks so I forgot to mention them. I meant moreso when you can keep an easy combo going just using normal attacks and counters I would rather do that then try to go for a batclaw since I would end up losing my combo sometimes when I did that (just didn't come naturally to me I guess). With the stun and evade that's a 7 bonus and I would usually try to start the first round with the claw so I usually got 8 when all was said and done.

Basically I'm just saying use the moves that work in combos for you and if there are one or two you don't like I don't think it's worth possibly messing up your flow over trying to get them in.

I got all the freeflow challenges complete and I don't think I ever got the 9x bonus for my best scores and definitely not in the extreme ones.

Had a lot of problems with the normal Shock and Awe. Always barely missed the 30.000. In the end I somehow got 38.000, around 400 on the leaderboards. I hear the extreme version is an even bigger pain in the ass? Great...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
schennmu said:
Had a lot of problems with the normal Shock and Awe. Always barely missed the 30.000. In the end I somehow got 38.000, around 400 on the leaderboards. I hear the extreme version is an even bigger pain in the ass? Great...

To me it was the hardest map, but just because I found it hard to finish. Score was never really an issue there.

GQman2121

Banned
For those who have beaten the game:
When you enter the Party Joker mentions that you fed Scarecrow to Croc, implying that he's dead. I don't recall that happening when I played. After the third encounter with Scarecrow he just disappeared. So what's the deal with that; just Joker talking out of his ass or what?

DihcarEM

Minamu said:

I finished it on hard and then went back to search for more then half of the riddles. I still found Ra.

Top Bottom