• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Ri'Orius

TheSeks said:
Combat challenges are still bullshit.

I don't care what anyone says. Combos alone don't do enough (considering the fact that Batman is fucking stupid and will whiff a move DESPITE THE FACT I'M TELLING HIS STUPID ASS TO HIT THE DUDE NEAR HIM) leaving me in 15-17 territory for combos (if that). Variation bonus counting for the LAST freeflow instead of over-all (I did all your damn moves, no I didn't do them all at once, fuck you) is stupid, as is the perfection bonus. Dark Knight is easy as long as you're good at counter six-sensing, but the bonus for it is so goddamn small it isn't worth it.

It's bullshit, plain and simple.

Man, I wish I could help--I didn't really have any of the whiffing problems you seem to be.

I will say that the variation bonus awarded is based on the best combo you do (variation-wise), not the last one you do. So you do need to fit all the moves into one unbroken combo to get the full 5000, but you don't have to do it at the end of the round.

Have you played through the main story on Hard mode? If not, it might be a good idea--I did Hard on my first playthrough, and it was damn hard (several bosses or just difficult encounters took an hour to beat because I kept dying against them), but then when I went into the challenges I didn't really have a problem. And I know that learning the system without the attack warning icon helped--I found myself often countering guys before the icon showed up (which I could do because I'd learned to read their movements, not the UI).

The other thing I'll say is that, if you're in freeflow mode (3+ on your combo), rarely did I find it a good idea to try to hit the guy near you. Maybe that's why I wasn't so surprised by where Bats was going? I was aiming for a far-away guy, and the controls might prioritize the farther away guys.

Going for the distant guys is nice, since it lets you evade the close guys (who're probably starting their attack animations) and instead hit someone.

...yeah man, I'm sorry you're so frustrated...

mattso

Ri'Orius said:
Man, I wish I could help--I didn't really have any of the whiffing problems you seem to be.

The other thing I'll say is that, if you're in freeflow mode (3+ on your combo), rarely did I find it a good idea to try to hit the guy near you. Maybe that's why I wasn't so surprised by where Bats was going? I was aiming for a far-away guy, and the controls might prioritize the farther away guys.

Going for the distant guys is nice, since it lets you evade the close guys (who're probably starting their attack animations) and instead hit someone.

...yeah man, I'm sorry you're so frustrated...

I second this. By bouncing around the group hitting distant target to distant target I didn't have to worry too much about getting hit and was able to plan the next attack most times successfully.

Just finished this on Normal. Finished with the
Killer Croc ending
. The Joker didn't put up much of a fight, but the boss fights weren't really Batman's strong point.

Overall, an awesome game. Looking forward to going back to solve all of the Riddler Challenges

Got a bit tired of the combat early on, though it has very solid and fluid group combat...the most refined of the post-GoW style. What kept me playing, really, was the generally well-paced variety...but when it dragged, it really did drag a little. Best comic book game, easily. The production values really smoothed over the rough spots for me.

Blindfutur3 said:
Just finished this on Normal. Finished with the
Killer Croc ending
. The Joker didn't put up much of a fight, but the boss fights weren't really Batman's strong point.

Overall, an awesome game. Looking forward to going back to solve all of the Riddler Challenges

There are multiple endings?

MrCompletely said:
There are multiple endings?

From what I understand,
there's just a difference in who pops up out of the water and grabs the crate of Titan at the very end. It can be either Bane, Killer Croc, or Scarecrow. I personally got Scarecrow.

Someone please correct me if it goes any further than that.

Ferrio

Banned
ILOVEASIANS said:
From what I understand,
there's just a difference in who pops up out of the water and grabs the crate of Titan at the very end. It can be either Bane, Killer Croc, or Scarecrow. I personally got Scarecrow.

I got croc... and that fucker with Titan scares the crap outta me

theluma

ILOVEASIANS said:
From what I understand,

Crap!

I got
croc
at the end and was sure
it was a set-up for a sequel with titan-infused croc attacking Gotham (which would stll be awesome BTW Rocksteady)

So how do you change your ending?

I'm guessing it has something to do with that bullet I did not dodge?

Dabanton

Taurus said:
Bane
fight was really hard for me. Took me about 20 tries to get past. His attacks were easy to dodge but the henchmen really got me into trouble, mostly because I still suck at freeflow fighting. :(

Where do I have to sign! WHERE?!

The key to fighting is timing don't mash buttons time your counters and hits.

I would suggest if you haven't already go to the first fight challenge room and practice.

As later on you may have a couple of big problems...

Red

TheSeks said:
Combat challenges are still bullshit.

I don't care what anyone says. Combos alone don't do enough (considering the fact that Batman is fucking stupid and will whiff a move DESPITE THE FACT I'M TELLING HIS STUPID ASS TO HIT THE DUDE NEAR HIM) leaving me in 15-17 territory for combos (if that). Variation bonus counting for the LAST freeflow instead of over-all (I did all your damn moves, no I didn't do them all at once, fuck you) is stupid, as is the perfection bonus. Dark Knight is easy as long as you're good at counter six-sensing, but the bonus for it is so goddamn small it isn't worth it.

It's bullshit, plain and simple.
Combos are far and away the leading factor for your score. You really need no bonuses, only a high combo. The problem is you're not even reaching a 20 hit combo, and you consistently need something like 30+ to get a reliably high score.

theluma

Crunched said:
Combos are far and away the leading factor for your score. You really need no bonuses, only a high combo. The problem is you're not even reaching a 20 hit combo, and you consistently need something like 30+ to get a reliably high score.

I agree with this. The only bonus that is really significant is the Dark Knight Bonus, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. Ultimately , the Dark Knight and Flawless Freeflow bonuses are only there to encourage you to get the highest combo possible, as that is what gives you the majority of your points.

Zeliard

Dabanton said:
The key to fighting is timing don't mash buttons time your counters and hits.

I would suggest if you haven't already go to the first fight challenge room and practice.

My single biggest mistake when I was doing the combat was rushing things in an effort not to break a combo, and I'd imagine it's the same for a lot of people. You actually have to go pretty slow, and put most of the emphasis on making sure every one of your strikes actually hit, since if you miss one goon your combo meter goes back to zero. It really is 100% about timing, not really speed, memorization or anything else.

mauaus

Im ready to get my platinum on, just missing the hard playthrough! I started speeding through it yesterday and got to the Croc part in one seating :lol

Man i love this game, gimme more Rocksteady!!!

Blindfutur3 said:
We'll probably get more challenge rooms. Story DLC would be sweet though
Would be cool if we got more costumes, too; those PC customs are f*cking sweet. Or how about... Harley Quinn in the Challenge Rooms? They've already got the model, just give her Joker's moveset!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to vent about it without going through all the spoiler tags (at the Intensive Treatment portion of the game):

When it acts like the game crashes. This is the fucking stupidest thing I've encountered in a game. Making you think your console is about to red ring is about the most retarded "4th wall" edgy moment I could possibly think of. Also, the fact that if you let it sit there for a while it seemed to restart the title sequence made me definitely think my console was going... or I had reached a game-breaking bug. I must have restarted the game about 8 times before I went on the net and found out that this was actually supposed to happen.

Now, don't get me wrong. I liked all of Eternal Darkness's sanity things. Like where it takes a dig at Soul Reaver 2 by putting up a "to be continued" screen. You were shocked and pissed, but then it put you back in the game after a few seconds and you realized it was a joke. With Batman, there was no indication that the game didn't completely bug out. If I see something like that happening, then see what appears to be the game restarting (granted, the moon did look like scarecrow... but it had been so long since I'd seen the title sequence I just assumed it was some foreshadowing I had missed), I'm always going to assume it's something terribly bad happening to my system and continue to troubleshoot the issue.

Ugh that made me mad

FlyinJ said:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to vent about it without going through all the spoiler tags (at the Intensive Treatment portion of the game):

When it acts like the game crashes. This is the fucking stupidest thing I've encountered in a game. Making you think your console is about to red ring is about the most retarded "4th wall" edgy moment I could possibly think of. Also, the fact that if you let it sit there for a while it seemed to restart the title sequence made me definitely think my console was going... or I had reached a game-breaking bug. I must have restarted the game about 8 times before I went on the net and found out that this was actually supposed to happen.

Now, don't get me wrong. I liked all of Eternal Darkness's sanity things. Like where it takes a dig at Soul Reaver 2 by putting up a "to be continued" screen. You were shocked and pissed, but then it put you back in the game after a few seconds and you realized it was a joke. With Batman, there was no indication that the game didn't completely bug out. If I see something like that happening, then see what appears to be the game restarting (granted, the moon did look like scarecrow... but it had been so long since I'd seen the title sequence I just assumed it was some foreshadowing I had missed), I'm always going to assume it's something terribly bad happening to my system and continue to troubleshoot the issue.

Ugh that made me mad

You're silly.

Spike Spiegel said:
Would be cool if we got more costumes, too; those PC customs are f*cking sweet. Or how about... Harley Quinn in the Challenge Rooms? They've already got the model, just give her Joker's moveset!

I haven't had the chance to play the challenge rooms yet, so I can't really comment on whether I'd like more. It just seems the most logical choice.

Costumes would be awesome though. Maybe something a little more Dark Knight-ish?

Can anyone confirm if
the costume you unlock upon completing the game is usable in story mode?

FlyinJ said:

Ugh that made me mad

But the game works up to the whole crash restart thing incrementally. At that point in the game with the full screen mock glitch you have already experienced several other tricks due to the scarecrow sections. I think it was a great little trick they pulled, and while unexpected it wasn't completely jarring.

Spike Spiegel said:

They would have to give her a "Sneak sneak sneak" walk and dialogue :lol

FlyinJ said:

Ugh that made me mad

Sorry you had that experience but you're the only one I've heard of that didn't catch on and actually reset their system. There are multiple other games that have done a similar thing, you named one of them in your post.

Zeliard

Daante said:
*banned site numbers removed*

2gt2c8x.jpg

Haeleos

If you can't see your next target to continue your combo string, I recommend jumping/diving first, which usually will either give you just enough time for someone to get up after being knocked down or move the camera around to spot the next baddie. Sometimes Batman will whiff moves if the game has a hard time finding the enemy you're trying to hit.

Cipher

FlyinJ said:

Ugh that made me mad

I guess I could understand your complaint if you had only made it to the freezing part of that sequence, but to make it past that to the Scarecrow signal in the sky? Not so much.

DihcarEM

Blindfutur3 said:
That's too bad. From a few videos I've seen it looks awesome.

Yeah, i was a little displeased about that, it looks awesome but you can't use it in story mode. Don't really know, seems simple enough to do.

DihcarEM said:
Yeah, i was a little displeased about that, it looks awesome but you can't use it in story mode. Don't really know, seems simple enough to do.

Yeah, the models there, but I don't know. I'm sure they had there reasons.

EzLink

Banned
FlyinJ said:

Ugh that made me mad

Laaaaawl. That whole sequence was the coolest part of the entire game

Anyway, just beat it on hard :D Now to do those stupid challenge rooms :/

Well, I just got done channeling the goddamn Batman for about a half hour. I just got 3 batarangs on the final 3 combat challenges that I had left. BOOYAH! Taking advice from some people here really helped. Especially the people who were talking about how important the ground pound is. Once your combo is in the 30s or 40s, a couple a ground pounds can net you 3,000 to 4,000 each. I think that's what set me over the top on all of these. Oh and evading. Evade the shit out of guys so you don't get surrounded. Try to stay on the outside of their circle.

Now I just have to run through again on easy and break up the party for 1000/1000. Still can't believe I missed that...

saiftk

Banned
FlyinJ said:

Ugh that made me mad

LOL.
I hope Rocksteady don't listen to people like you. That was the most awesome moment in gaming for me in 2009. Hope you're being sarcastic buddy. Considering no one else fell for it as badly as you, maybe you need to reassess your life?

123rl

About that sequence:

A customer came into the shop saying Batman had broken his 360. Apparently he saw the cutscene 'glitch' and then he thought his console was broken. So, without ringing my store, his packed up his 360 and brought it to the shop, demanding a refund :D After I stopped laughing I calmly explained and he left the store looking all embarassed and ashamed. Not really, I explained and - after he left - I laughed uncontrollably as did everyone else in the store
Good times :D

FlyinJ said:

Ugh that made me mad

He's Scarecrow. His job is to freak you out. The fact that you did get freaked out means Rocksteady did it right.

But the fact that you restarted 8 times is nothing short of hilarious.

Amir0x

Banned
FlyinJ said:

Ugh that made me mad

I'll summarize: FlyinJ was caught with tomato on his face after getting fooled by a game twenty times, blames game for being creative and thematically appropriate. Your humiliation at being made to look stupid by a videogame translates into anger.

Lothars

saiftk said:
LOL.
I hope Rocksteady don't listen to people like you. That was the most awesome moment in gaming for me in 2009. Hope you're being sarcastic buddy. Considering no one else fell for it as badly as you, maybe you need to reassess your life?

I really hope they don't do something like that because I didn't think my console red ringed but I thought it was just a stupid way to start the scene and i can see why someone would think that but to me The Scarecrow scenes were alright but pretty meh overall.

Amir0x said:
I'll summarize: FlyinJ was caught with tomato on his face after getting fooled by a game twenty times, blames game for being creative and thematically appropriate. Your humiliation at being made to look stupid by a videogame translates into anger.

That about sums it up, indeed.

Top Bottom