• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
The only way the game could possibly be any better than it is is if the boss fights had more variety (almost every boss was defeated with some variation of dodge. dodge, batarang, dodge) and if the game was longer with more of the rogues gallery.

Batman 2 can't come soon enough, and I'd pay money for DLC episodes in the mean time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
lastplayed said:
The boss fights are the biggest let down for me. They're so pointless and frustrating, I had to die on one of them before it told me what I had to do, that's really bad game design.
Exactly which boss was it that you were clueless about? And is experimenting a lost art for modern gamers?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dan said:
Exactly which boss was it that you were clueless about? And is experimenting a lost art for modern gamers?

Yeah...not sure how he couldn't know what to do pretty quickly. I actually didn't like how the game was so quick on the trigger to tell you EXACTLY what to do also, they should let people turn that off or something.

Dan said:

Experimenting is fine, but why do you have to die to experiment? It's an argument that's been around for ages, and it frustrates a lot of gamers. Who cares if it's always been like that, there's always room for improvement.

I died a couple of times on the first Scarecrow battle, the first because I instantly ran out into his sight before the prompt came up telling me to avoid it. :lol The second was when I blew up the wall and he instantly turned around. I guess I wasn't fast enough, and I had to repeat the whole thing again because of it.

I just don't find boss fights of that type all that enjoyable, surely there's a better way to do it.

ThirstyFly said:
Someone, hire this man.

All excellent suggestions, especially that multiplayer idea.

Personally I'd rather they just dropped the Titan storyline, credit-sequence spoilers be damned. It was a decent idea for one game, and I realize it was the center of the entire story, but I thought they went to the well with it a few too many times. Yeah, it is a videogame, but it still felt a little too "videogamey".

That mob ring idea is totally awesome though, as are all the other suggestions.

EekTheKat

This game was pretty forgiving in making people repeat certain sequences. I thought the checkpoints were well spaced out enough where repeating certain sequences wasn't a huge pain at all.

The visual clues in certain sequences were more than enough to give you a hint of what to do in that sequence I mean,
the first time you meet Scarecrow he's spinning around in the middle of the room with eyes glowing like gigantic search beams.

Also Bane
and Titans all telegraph what they're going to do well before they're about to do it.
. A lot of it is really just old school game mechanics with a modern coat of polish.

EekTheKat said:
A lot of it is really just old school game mechanics with a modern coat of polish.

Very true, and what a coat of polish.

I also love the music, it's like a cross between the first Batman and Batman Begins.

theluma said:
Crap!

I got
croc
at the end and was sure
it was a set-up for a sequel with titan-infused croc attacking Gotham (which would stll be awesome BTW Rocksteady)

So how do you change your ending?

I'm guessing it has something to do with that bullet I did not dodge?

Pretty sure it's just random.
And that bullet is impossible to dodge. It says to use the "middle stick" in the tool tip when you die on 360. And as far as I can tell, that stick does not exist lol.

Yagharek

Im wondering, having played several hours of this ... the fighting feels a lot like a good old Streets of Rage style game. Overpowered, simplistic, but damn fun and satisfying. A fair comparison?

LiK

replaying the game on Hard on the PS3. def a lil tougher without those markers on the heads for the counters but not too bad. still got the 10 flow trophy with no problems. Bane fight was also not hard at all.

btw, there was one part where a thug was talking on the radio with the Joker. i listened to the whole thing the first time but this time i went after the thug and Joker actually responded on the radio! he said something like
"hello? anyone there? did Batman get you or the Croc? hey Croc, how's it going?"
or something like that, awesome lil detail :D

Kard8p3

LiK said:
replaying the game on Hard on the PS3. def a lil tougher without those markers on the heads for the counters but not too bad. still got the 10 flow trophy with no problems. Bane fight was also not hard at all.

btw, there was one part where a thug was talking on the radio with the Joker. i listened to the whole thing the first time but this time i went after the thug and Joker actually responded on the radio! he said something like
"hello? anyone there? did Batman get you or the Croc? hey Croc, how's it going?"
or something like that, awesome lil detail :D

It seems like I'm always finding new dialogue in this game. For instance
I wasn't aware you could go to the visitors area throughout the whole game and hear the joker talk about your progress. One time I got a harley video in there instead because the joker said he couldn't make it.

On a different subject I'm getting more and more frustrated with the combat challenge rooms. I only have 3 more to do but they're frustrating. Batman doesn't always do what I want him to do. I'm hoping to get it eventually but I'm not holding my breath.

I have one frickin' Riddler trophy left and I can't seem to get it.
What makes it worse is that I can actually see the damn thing, and the wall I need to break through to get to it, but I can't get to the glass. The trophy is a part of Arkham North and it's just south east of Intensive Treatment. There's a passage that leads to it, but it ends with 3 boards blocking the way, with the trophy just beyond them.

I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing but I don't know what. I'm trying to avoid using a guide. This was the first time I've really been stuck.

Well I'm going out of town for the weekend so maybe when I come back with fresh eyes it will hit me.

EzLink

Banned
lastplayed said:
Experimenting is fine, but why do you have to die to experiment? It's an argument that's been around for ages, and it frustrates a lot of gamers. Who cares if it's always been like that, there's always room for improvement.

I died a couple of times on the first Scarecrow battle, the first because I instantly ran out into his sight before the prompt came up telling me to avoid it. :lol The second was when I blew up the wall and he instantly turned around. I guess I wasn't fast enough, and I had to repeat the whole thing again because of it.

I just don't find boss fights of that type all that enjoyable, surely there's a better way to do it.

I dunno dude, do you really expect games to tell you specifically how to beat each and ever boss? I'm pretty sure thats actually very uncommon

LiK

Kard8p3 said:
I wasn't aware you could go to the visitors area throughout the whole game and hear the joker talk about your progress. One time I got a harley video in there instead because the joker said he couldn't make it.

On a different subject I'm getting more and more frustrated with the combat challenge rooms. I only have 3 more to do but they're frustrating. Batman doesn't always do what I want him to do. I'm hoping to get it eventually but I'm not holding my breath.

whoa, awesome tip about the visitor room! i will check that location more often. only went to it once on my own during my first playthrough

Kard8p3

LiK said:
whoa, awesome tip about the visitor room! i will check that location more often. only went to it once on my own during my first playthrough

Yeah usually there's something new there after every major event.

Kard8p3

equap said:
how do you get that one puzzle/trophy all the way out in the middle of the water, near the green house.

I think you need to go to first person mode and you can see wayne tower back there. Scan it and you solve the riddle

Kard8p3

Hellion said:
Paul Dini better be writing a sequel!

I saw a video interview with Kevin Conroy about this game about a month back and according to him Paul Dini already had another story idea for a game.

Kard8p3

Hellion said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvEtzqdgiE

On another note I officially give up on these stupid combat challenge rooms. I only have two left but one of them is shock and awe extreme. I have a hard enough time keeping my combo going but now I have all these enemies and less than a minute each round to take them out. This kind of thing just frustrates me beyond belief so I guess this one thing will be standing in the way of my platinum trophy.

Hyunkel6

Just completed the game at 100% a few hours ago. I found the predator challenges far more difficult than the combat challenges. Finding a way to blow up 3 enemies using explosives on 3 different walls took me to the limit of my patience. :lol

Kard8p3 said:
On another note I officially give up on these stupid combat challenge rooms. I only have two left but one of them is shock and awe extreme. I have a hard enough time keeping my combo going but now I have all these enemies and less than a minute each round to take them out. This kind of thing just frustrates me beyond belief so I guess this one thing will be standing in the way of my platinum trophy.

Shock and Awe Extreme was the only challenge in which I got all 3 medals on my 1st try, but maybe I just got lucky. This may sound obvious, but are you using instant takedowns (Y+B) whenever possible?

LiK

Hyunkel6 said:
Just completed the game at 100% a few hours ago. I found the predator challenges far more difficult than the combat challenges. Finding a way to blow up 3 enemies using explosives on 3 different walls took me to the limit of my patience. :lol

*bow* i'm not worthy.

Gribbix

Telegraph recently did an interview with Paul Dini regarding Arkham Asylum:

We can't talk too much about the story without giving it too much – would you write for a video game again?

I had a lot of fun. Rocksteady and I were completely on the same page as far as the character and the story went. DC Comics were nothing if not completely supportive and they championed a lot of our ideas.

There are some hard and fast rules when you're dealing with Batman which you can't break or you're just destroying the character. I think we adhered to them all pretty well and also found ways to make Arkham Asylum a strong and powerful game. If it came down to doing another Batman game, I'd do it in a second. If it were another video game or another fighting scenario game or something in a fantasy world I'd have to see what it was. But if someone came to me with a new idea, I'd be very enthusiastic about finding out about it.

Are there any characters you wanted to include in Arkham Asylum which landed on the cutting room floor?

Well, yes, there were few that – great as they would have been – just didn't fit either the game or the story in the game. Mr Freeze, for example, would have been wonderful to have – we allude to him in the game – but he didn't fit. Mr Freeze is motivated by different things. He doesn't really have that much of an axe to grind with Batman. Batman is an irritation and an impediment to him, not an enemy that he hates. He doesn't have the hatred that the Joker has for Batman. He's not like the Riddler who is obsessed with proving that he's smarter than Batman. Freeze is off in his own universe; he has what he wants to accomplish and he rarely even cares what the other villains are up to. If Batman gets in his way, he'll take him out, but Freeze doesn't really fit as part of this game.

Mad Hatter is another character we talked about; one of the ideas I pitched was a garden maze that you could wander around in which could've been a good location for Poison Ivy – she could make the maze grow in different directions – but in the centre there would be this bizarre tea-party that the Mad Hatter was hosting for Batman. Ultimately, it didn't really fit the tone of the game so we left it out.

LiK

Gribbix said:

thanks! very interesting. Freeze would be perfect and i dare say that MAd Hatter is another nice suggestion. they did a prety good job with him in the Animated Series. but Dini's got to have some Clayface and Two-Face in the sequel too.

Kard8p3

Hyunkel6 said:
Shock and Awe Extreme was the only challenge in which I got all 3 medals on my 1st try, but maybe I just got lucky. This may sound obvious, but are you using instant takedowns (Y+B) whenever possible?

Yeah I do use them. Everything just likes to go wrong when I've got a good combo going though. For instance I'll go to attack a guy and right when the punch is about to land he picks up the stun rod and ends the combo. Little things like that plus the time limit is really annoying.

saiftk

Banned
Gribbix said:

Really great ideas. I hope I didn't spoil myself with the Mad hatter maze idea. Sounds awesome though. Kudos to him for coming up with the Scarecrow levels. Good job sir.

God, I hope that a sequel to this game is announced soon. Rarely do I want that, but this is by far the best Batman game, if not the best game of 2009, ever. Even if there isn`t a sequel, I`ll blind buy whatever Rocksteady comes out with next.

hamchan

Hyunkel6 said:
I'm still trying to do this one and it's pissing me off! The combat challenges were so much easier!

bill0527

Finally beat the story mode tonight on Normal.

Wow, easily Game of the Year and probably one of the best games I've played in the last couple of years.

The level of polish in this game in every single aspect of it - graphics, audio, gameplay, level design, characters, story, its all AAA quality. You don't get a game like this come along very often. I can't think of one single shortcoming in the game where I said to myself that they could have done something better.

I'm 202/240 on Riddler trophies, and then its time to start the challenge rooms, so there's still plenty of game play left in this one for me. Maybe for shits, i'll go back and start story mode on hard.

The only gripe that I have is that I can't imagine where they go for a sequel to this game. They threw everything and the kitchen sink at this one, so I don't know what could be left and not end up disappointed.

LiK

bill0527 said:
Finally beat the story mode tonight on Normal.

Wow, easily Game of the Year and probably one of the best games I've played in the last couple of years.

The level of polish in this game in every single aspect of it - graphics, audio, gameplay, level design, characters, story, its all AAA quality. You don't get a game like this come along very often. I can't think of one single shortcoming in the game where I said to myself that they could have done something better.

I'm 202/240 on Riddler trophies, and then its time to start the challenge rooms, so there's still plenty of game play left in this one for me. Maybe for shits, i'll go back and start story mode on hard.

The only gripe that I have is that I can't imagine where they go for a sequel to this game. They threw everything and the kitchen sink at this one, so I don't know what could be left and not end up disappointed.

more Villains in Gotham City itself. instant win.

bill0527

LiK said:
more Villains in Gotham City itself. instant win.

Grand Theft Batman?

Sandbox, Fully open city? Yeah.. it could be good, but this would be one helluva big undertaking to build a game like that.

LiK

bill0527 said:
Grand Theft Batman?

Sandbox, Fully open city? Yeah.. it could be good, but this would be one helluva big undertaking to build a game like that.

nah, no open world stuff. they could just have it in various buildings in Gotham City just like on Arkham. i'm sure Rocksteady can come up with something ;)

mauaus

LiK said:
nah, no open world stuff. they could just have it in various buildings in Gotham City just like on Arkham. i'm sure Rocksteady can come up with something ;)

All we need is a great story, gameplay is there, throw in new animations, gadgets and puzzles, make it tougher and call it a day

AniHawk

Started it again on Hard Mode today and beat it today. Got Biggest Bang and Party Pooper. I was surprised I was actually able to do it. The one part that only gave me some big problems was the elevator-area fight with the beast.

Taurus

Dabanton said:
The key to fighting is timing don't mash buttons time your counters and hits.

I would suggest if you haven't already go to the first fight challenge room and practice.

As later on you may have a couple of big problems...
Thanks for the tip, I immediately got better results! :)

First challenge stage score went up from 6550 to 12000+, and I got 20+ freeflow combo which unlocked some achievement. Btw I'm playing on Hard and didn't even try Normal after the demo.

saiftk

Banned
My favorite parts were the creepy areas. I hope they up the creepiness by a 1000. As in more Scarecrow and less everything else. God how I love Scarecrow.

Neiteio said:
I love how huge an attention whore everyone at Rocksteady is, being all "Maybe we'll make a sequel if people like the game." :lol

Speaking of sequels, I'd like:

- A cold, rain-slick Gotham City setting, not open world, but with you exploring various corners of the city, reaching them by linear driving segments in the Batmobile.

- The return of
Croc, Bane and Scarecrow
, now infused with Titan. The hulks would be more hulked out than before; the other fellow, now as monstrous as his mindgames.

- A mob theme, with a coalition of crime syndicates led by
Two-Face, Penguin, Ventriloquist (Scarface)
and more. Imagine sneaking through the rafters of a room, watching the mobsters plot against Batman in a cigarette smoke-filled room below...

- Several encounters with
Catwoman
, fighting her in some, working with her in others, chasing her across rooftops at one point.

- A multiplayer component with Batman versus thugs; the thugs play from the first-person perspective and pack heat with limited ammo; Batman plays from the third-person perspective and tries to take them down Predator-style.

- Strong focus on dynamic lighting and shadows -- especially useful in the above, where Batman can take advantage of the darkness.

- Challenge Mode now featuring a plethora of unlockable characters.

- Other villains making their appearance as either direct bosses or forces driving the plot:
Mr. Freeze, as the game's Poison Ivy-style elemental-driven humanoid; Clayface, with Assassin's Creed-style blend-into-crowd games of cat-and-mouse, followed up by monstrous transformations and boss battles; Mad Hatter, at the amusement park in a Wonderland-themed underground, hypnotizing and mind-controlling friends into foes; and more.

Hmm, I suspect there's more, but I'm drawing a blank here. :)

Every suggestion here is gold. I LOVE the multipleyer idea - very Splinter Cellish.

I just finished Arkham and loved nearly every minute. It got a teeeensy bit repetitive towards the end, and the boss fights weren't brilliant. I also did not like the final boss;
I actually wanted something less climactic with Joker, more in keeping with the best Batman/Joker comic confrontations. I didn't need to fight him, certainly not as a badly-designed 'roided up version. I would have been fine with a chase, or even something different. They cribbed a lot from Bioshock throughout; they could have cribbed a simple meeting in a room, and end it with something more subtle than massive punches.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Got the party booper achievement. I just love crashing parties. :D

The interview with Paul Dini was very interesting. The part about the Mad Hatter sounds like it would've been great. But, when a developer sees that putting too much in might be pushing things beyond what they're going for shows they had a clear idea of what they wanted in the beginning. To me, that's a good thing. I think a lot of devs try to be too many things to too many people. I just hope the success of B:AA doesn't go to their heads and it up ruining what might be a fantastic sequel.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
hamchan said:
Speaking of success how much do we think this will sell?

Hopefully enough for them to want to make another. Please, please, please let same people who made the first one be the same team who makes the next one. Rocksteady is fast becoming one of my favorite devs.

By the by, I just want to say I'm loving this thread. It's so full of love and awesomesauce all over my face. Doesn't matter which platform you're playing this on. It's a great game that everyone should experience. ^.^

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Only 2 challenges left to 3*! You guys weren't kidding, Shock and Awe Extreme really is cruel. I made it to the 4th round one time and 3 guys were still standing around when the timer ran out. My guess is that you have to get a decent combo, then batarang or claw and ground pound 1 or 2 guys. Easier said than done though.

Darunia said:
Only 2 challenges left to 3*! You guys weren't kidding, Shock and Awe Extreme really is cruel. I made it to the 4th round one time and 3 guys were still standing around when the timer ran out. My guess is that you have to get a decent combo, then batarang or claw and ground pound 1 or 2 guys. Easier said than done though.
Instants/throws over the balcony every five hits.

Found a great place to get the 20 & 40 hit combo. After the last pump station there's a titan and lots of guards. Get on his back and go crazy.

Minamu

Kard8p3 said:

Yeah that's pretty cool. I don't know why but one time,
Joker's body was in one of the other booths with the TV on his head but he never said anything :( What's up with that? I think it was the first one on the left.

Also, is neogaf full of people who refuse to use youtube or trophy hunting sites? Personally, the game would've been placed on the shelf several days ago, without the platinum trohpy, if I hadn't watched some vidoes on how to do some of the predator room challenges. I hate getting frustrated over hard games :( Yeah, there's pleasure when you finally overcome the obstacle but for me, it's rarely worth the effort needed to get that feeling.

Jinjo

Finished this today. It was an absolutely awesome experience. I will definitely be there day one for the sequel. Now to tackle the remaining riddles and then start the challenges.

Top Bottom